Anyone know where to buy cheap jute thread for ghillie suit?

PDA

clemsonu0219
June 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
I am attempting to make a nice lookin ghillie suit for hunting in South Carolina. Does anyone know a cheap place to buy Jute thread by the pound?

Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know where to buy cheap jute thread for ghillie suit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
June 24, 2009, 11:14 PM
Buy burlap by the yard in any discount fabric shop or garden supply shop, instead. Sew it on then brush it loose/rough.
Don't know where they got this jute thread idea. However, the twine used for tying up plants etc is jute. Comes in a roll. It'd take forever to use it for a ghillie suit though.

gondorian
June 25, 2009, 12:25 PM
I bought a whole roll of burlap for mine, cut it into pieces about 16 in. square and then pulled it all apart. That takes a LOOOOOOOONG time so if you do it you need to be patient. It is my understanding the burlap is made from jute thread, and once you pull apart burlap it becomes jute.

clemsonu0219
June 25, 2009, 01:20 PM
That makes sense... yeah I'm thinking at least 20 hours solid man time.

wideym
June 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
I bought 10 burlap sacks at my local Farmers Co-op, cut them into strips, and sewed them onto an old set of BDUIs.

I would sew for about an hour each day for 5 days while listening to the TV. The hardest parts were cutting the sacks up with a small set of shears and fraying the strips.

Loyalist Dave
June 25, 2009, 03:41 PM
Are you trying to hide from people or game? Yes you will find several on-line sources for "Ghillie" suits, most of which make you look like some sort of mobile swamp monster. The true Ghillie suit is meant to dramatically lower the ability of a human, aided with telescopic instruments, from detecting and targeting you.

For hunting game, you will find you need alot less "garnish" on you to make it effective. As they have suggested, get burlap. I use generally 4 colors, two yards brown, 1 yard black, 1 yard gray, 1 yard green. Color selection is based on where it will be used, and time of the year when it will be used. Since you will be in SC, you might want swap out one yard of brown for a second yard of green, OR if you can find it, light and dark green.

I cut the burlap into strips 12-18 inches long, and two inches wide. I put all of the strips into a plastic bag, and let random chance occur as I pull the strips out for sewing. Humans tend to (imho) arrange things in repeating patterns, nature doesn't. I don't pull fibers out of the strips of burlap, as they will quickly do that in the field, AND it's for turkey hunting, not vs. humans. That's about all you will need to do. Break up your outline, and look like a bush.

LD

clemsonu0219
June 25, 2009, 03:45 PM
Are you trying to hide from people or game? Yes you will find several on-line sources for "Ghillie" suits, most of which make you look like some sort of mobile swamp monster. The true Ghillie suit is meant to dramatically lower the ability of a human, aided with telescopic instruments, from detecting and targeting you.

For hunting game, you will find you need alot less "garnish" on you to make it effective. As they have suggested, get burlap. I use generally 4 colors, two yards brown, 1 yard black, 1 yard gray, 1 yard green. Color selection is based on where it will be used, and time of the year when it will be used. Since you will be in SC, you might want swap out one yard of brown for a second yard of green, OR if you can find it, light and dark green.

I cut the burlap into strips 12-18 inches long, and two inches wide. I put all of the strips into a plastic bag, and let random chance occur as I pull the strips out for sewing. Humans tend to (imho) arrange things in repeating patterns, nature doesn't. I don't pull fibers out of the strips of burlap, as they will quickly do that in the field, AND it's for turkey hunting, not vs. humans. That's about all you will need to do. Break up your outline, and look like a bush.

Thanks. Good advice.

uvausmc
June 25, 2009, 04:17 PM
i bought burlap blind material in the hunting section of walley-world. it already has a cammo pattern dyed into it, just strip the threads out and tie them onto the suit.

gondorian
June 27, 2009, 04:20 PM
+1 on matching to your terrain AND time of year. For coloring I got all my burlap in light tan and then dyed it different colors. I had about three different greens and two browns plus some tan. However the most important tip for using a ghillie suit is to make sure that when you use it you stuff native vegetation into your net.

TheFallGuy
June 29, 2009, 03:30 AM
Often, furniture stores will have used mattresses out back. Some older mattresses have jute in them and can often be had for free. I know in Iowa it's illegal to sell used mattresses so they have to pay to get rid of them. I get em like that all the time for erosion control of my driveway. Hadn't thought about using it for a ghillie suit though. I usually burn it with my trash. Thanks for the idea!

deerassassin23
July 5, 2009, 11:32 PM
Go to Hobby Lobby they sell it by the bag or pound and you can get alot of different colors. And it's already down to single threads

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone know where to buy cheap jute thread for ghillie suit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!