Replacing front blade sight on 96 Mauser

PDA

skidooman603
June 25, 2009, 12:32 PM
The stock front blade shoots 10 in high at 100. Guess Swedes calibrated them to shoot "on" at 250 meters. Replacements (taller) blades are readily available. How much hassle and what procedure to install new one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing front blade sight on 96 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BRad704
June 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
The smallest notation on my rear site is a 3... I always assumed this meant 300m... So I tend to agree with you on how there were originally calibrated...

rcmodel
June 25, 2009, 01:24 PM
Most all military bolt guns of that era were built with a "Battle-Sight" zero way out there!

That allowed a fairly untrained solder to hold on a man's belt buckle at any normal range and get hits out to as far as the rifle would shoot.

Here is a taller replacement blade.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=341/Product/MAUSER_FRONT_SIGHT_BLANK

rc

skidooman603
June 25, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hey RC wondered how long it was gonna be before you chimed in. How hard to swap these out my friend? already ordered the taller blade from Samco I think that is co name.

rcmodel
June 25, 2009, 04:19 PM
Shouldn't be too hard. Although the old blade may not have been moved in the last 100 years.

Just get a good support block under the sight band and drive it out left to right with a brass punch.

The new sight may be over-size and need some metal filed off the bottom of the dovetail until it will fit the rifle dovetail.

rc

skidooman603
June 26, 2009, 06:16 AM
You da man! As always! Thanks

skidooman603
July 2, 2009, 11:57 AM
RC is that lf to rt when u are standing in front of the rifle? Maybe stupid question but it would be reversed looking from rear to front. Thanks :o

skidooman603
July 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
Help RC

rcmodel
July 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
Left to right, as you would look down the sights while shooting it.

It may not matter, but it is an old gunsmith thing that all pins and sights come out left to right, and go back in right to left.

Many older guns had a slight taper to the dovetail or pin hole.

rc

skidooman603
July 2, 2009, 01:58 PM
ONce again you are the voice of knowledge in a pinch. Thanks Pal

If you enjoyed reading about "Replacing front blade sight on 96 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!