The ATF is looking at enforcing the Cabbage stamp.

PDA

Mark Tyson
October 21, 2003, 11:19 AM
Man Detained With Gun and Cabbage Silencer

10/20/2003

The Associated Press

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) -- Police said Monday that they had detained a man caught with a gun and a head of cabbage he intended to use as a silencer.

Police in the Black Sea resort of Yalta stopped the 48-year-old man who exhibited "suspicious behavior" and arrested him after finding a loaded handgun in his bag with a cabbage he said was "to be used as a silencer," said Iryna Halynska of the city's security service.

The man's motives were not immediately known.

"Our officers just shrugged their shoulders, smiling, as they've never seen cabbage used as a silencer before," the spokeswoman said. She claimed the thick vegetable could effectively muffle the sound of a gunshot.

http://www.policeone.com/policeone/frontend/parser.cfm?object=News&operation=full_news&id=70486

If you enjoyed reading about "The ATF is looking at enforcing the Cabbage stamp." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
October 21, 2003, 12:17 PM
Would someone please do research on which veggies make the best silencers. This has great potential !

Balog
October 21, 2003, 12:20 PM
"In other news, the BATF&E arrested a CCW holder for purchasing a pre-prepared bag of salad. A spokesperson with the agency said it was 'clear constructive possession of an illegal silencer.'"

cordex
October 21, 2003, 12:24 PM
I wonder ...
Anyone ever try registering a non-traditional sound suppressor?
If you could afford the $200 for a laugh, a serial-numbered and registered cabbage, potato, wool blanket, pillow, etc would be amusing. Shades of the Canadian bloke who registered his glue gun and heat gun when told to register his firearms ...

Keith
October 21, 2003, 12:52 PM
Hollywood will pick this up and start showing people using Desert Eagles that make little "pft" "pft" sounds when shot. Then pan to a close-up of a tiny Brussels Sprout attached the muzzle...

Keith

LiquidTension
October 21, 2003, 12:55 PM
Haha, that's good stuff. I wouldn't have used cabbage though, it smells bad. Lettuce would be ok I'd think. You don't wanna use anything acidic, it might hurt the finish on the gun :uhoh:

George Hill
October 21, 2003, 01:07 PM
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-12845188,00.html

Okay... That's one I've never heard of before

Bart Noir
October 21, 2003, 02:48 PM
First Godfather movie....The murder using the pillow as a silencer. 'Course it helped that there were all these noisy celebrations going in the street. Then he busted the pistol! And threw it away.

Bart Noir

Standing Wolf
October 21, 2003, 03:28 PM
I should have trusted somebody would find a use for that vegetable sooner or later.

Skunkabilly
October 21, 2003, 03:40 PM
Wouldnt the gasses explode the cabbage?

QuarterBoreGunner
October 21, 2003, 04:31 PM
Mmmmm... suppressed weapon cole slaw. This screams 'someone please photoshop me'...

Justin
October 21, 2003, 06:10 PM
duplicate threads merged

CleverNickname
October 21, 2003, 06:26 PM
Awhile back someone tried making an adapter that would allow you to affix a plastic coke bottle onto the muzzle of a firearm. The adapter didn't silence anything, the coke bottle did, so theoretically the adapter was just a non-regulated piece of metal. But the ATF decided that was a no-go and said the adapter was the silencer.

QuarterBoreGunner
October 21, 2003, 06:35 PM
*sigh*

Give a boy photoshop and a slow work day...
http://www.swedcom.com/test_images/de_cabbage.jpg
I should be at the range.

sm
October 21, 2003, 06:38 PM
What will they think of next? :)

spacemanspiff
October 21, 2003, 06:40 PM
how about using a feline as a suppressor?

:evil:

Holly76201
October 21, 2003, 06:42 PM
IMO, eggplants, or rutabagas would be more efficient at suppressing sound. Maybe a turnip for smaller calibers.
ROFLOL

keederdag
October 21, 2003, 06:43 PM
Just imagine if he had used it! Crime scene: " the victim has been shot through the head, and is covered with cabage; That sick #astard":D

Parker Dean
October 21, 2003, 07:03 PM
This obviously calls for Zero-Tolerance on the possession of unregistered cabbages for the safety of America's children!

AZLibertarian
October 21, 2003, 08:49 PM
I can see it now....Daewoo begins production on a new silencer--The KimChee Special. Real quiet, but stinks to high heaven.

4v50 Gary
October 21, 2003, 10:58 PM
And if it was German would it be SauerKraut? Make mine a potatoe (in the manner of Dan(g) Quail. ;)

RustyHammer
October 21, 2003, 11:56 PM
Damn ... hope I don't have to do a back ground check next time I go to the grocery.

Has me wondering how long will it be before they close the "farmer's market loophole?" :neener: :what:

280PLUS
October 22, 2003, 06:35 AM
you know,,,for cole slaw,,,i found it in ted nugent's cook book,,,

i swear officer,,,":rolleyes:

Sleeping Dog
October 22, 2003, 07:49 AM
eefen een da ukraine, fee hear of jore decadent "salad shooters". fee can make dem too.

Borscht ennyfun? fare is dat twelf-gauge an' dose beets?

Regarts.

Okiecruffler
October 22, 2003, 09:35 AM
You think seeded or seedless watermelon would work better?

keederdag
October 22, 2003, 12:41 PM
I'd definitly go seeds; not only complete you mission, but plant a crop, ya know, for the children:D

labgrade
October 22, 2003, 04:24 PM
... a whole new meaning for "calliflower ear" ....

Johnny Guest
October 22, 2003, 04:25 PM
If y'all keep this up, word will get to the feds on a slow work day.

Somebody will write a memo - - -

Next thing you know, you'll need to get forms 4 signed off and a tax stamp issued before making certain purchases in the produce section of the local food market.

Salad could become REALLY expensive:

Tomatoes - - - - - - - - - - 90 cents
Onions - - - - - - - - - - - - 70 cents
Iceberg Lettuce - - - - - -$ 1.25
Tax stamp - - - - - - - - $200
Kraft Italian dressing - - $ 2.00

Salad, total - - - - - - - - - $204.85

:D
Johnny

labgrade
October 22, 2003, 04:39 PM
No matter what the feds have already decided what a "silencer" is, CO's got a law that (paraphrased) states "anything used to quiet the report of a firearm ... "

I'm wondering if using a Colibri, or similar, is illegal? & what's The Standard OF Noise made by any given caliber, & WTH is "quieter & relative to what?

:confused:

Mark Tyson
October 22, 2003, 05:37 PM
If silencers weren't so restricted, it would be a lot easier on the hearing to shoot and also good for the recoil-shy. Plus, you won't scare the other animals when hunting.

Selfdfenz
October 22, 2003, 05:47 PM
When cabagges are outlawed, only outlaws will own cabbages!

This could turn out to be a watershed event for veggie hating kids everywhere but I'm saving my dough for the more effective pastery silencers that are just around the corner.

S-

Orthonym
October 22, 2003, 06:35 PM
As everyone knows, (or should know) the cat body is just not substantial enough to muffle the report of a sizeable firearm. Look at the road kill! The cats get squashed much flatter, much sooner, on the streets than other critters.

No sir, what you need to use is a Yorkshire Terrier! Think about it. They're worthless as watchdogs, being too dumb to tell the good humans from the bad'uns; They're so mean nobody likes them except for some crazy old ladies; and they're so ugly one doesn't feel bad about killing them.

Moparmike
October 22, 2003, 06:53 PM
That is just plain wrong.

Crimper-D
October 22, 2003, 07:44 PM
Use a HORSRADISH!:evil:
Not onlywill it muffel the blast, but if the bullet dosen't do the job on the victem, the veggie Will! :neener:

MarkDido
October 23, 2003, 01:13 AM
Being 1/2 Ukranian, I remember this wonderful cabbage soup that my mother would spend hours making called "Capusta"

If I was that guy I would just claim that he was intending to use the gun to make "Instant Capusta"

If you enjoyed reading about "The ATF is looking at enforcing the Cabbage stamp." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!