Brownells is working hard

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 26, 2009, 07:53 PM
to make their website organization, searchability, and intuitiveness worse and worse and worse with each "improvement" - ummm, good try, Brownells, I guess. You've got a long ways to go to get to 1/2 the intuitiveness and friendliness of Midway. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Brownells is working hard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kentucky_smith
June 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
I much prefer Brownells' over Midway.

searcher451
June 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
One man's 9mm is another man's .45, I guess. I use Midway for some things and Brownell's for other things, depending on a number of variables. But I normally don't consider the friendliness of a website in determining what I buy, or from whom.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
By the way, I just discovered that Cabela's offers much more detailed products specs on recoil pads than EITHER Midway or Brownells. Pathetic, Midway & Brownells, if you ask me.

Brownells is more like 7.62x25. Effective once you you figure out how to get up and running using it. Is it worth it? Maybe...

But I normally don't consider the friendliness of a website in determining what I buy, or from whom.

You would if you can't find what you need due to a website defect. The search result indicated I was on page 1 of 14. When I clicked on page 2 or 3 of my search result, it went to the 2nd and last page, which had only two items. So it only displayed one page plus 2 items of the apparently 14 pages of results - it's a glitch in their system.

Walkalong
June 26, 2009, 08:58 PM
I like Brownells, but their "search" sucks really badly.

SP Shop Foreman
June 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
Last week I went to Brownells and found our entire product line gone except for scope mounts. My Dad called and the head buyer said that they were adding the products back in one at a time with new photos and copy. She said that the search function would take alittle time too.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 26, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well, obviously I like Brownells and hope they fix it, and will use them again, but it seems to me that they should not nix the old site system, which worked *sorta* well, until the bugs are worked out of the new one, not throw the new one up and make it a work in progress.

Rembrandt
June 26, 2009, 10:35 PM
I've found the Brownells website doesn't have the detail the catalog offers....they seem to have a better stocked inventory than Midway, which is chronically out of nearly everything they list.

Maj Dad
June 26, 2009, 10:46 PM
All of my saved carts and "wish lists" are gone and the site is decidedly different. Now I'll have to go through the catalog again and find all the things I had saved for another day (and for Christmas/birthdays for my kids to browse) :banghead:

But Brownell's has the things no one else does, and their customer service has always set the benchmark for others. I'll buy there if I have to use the catalog & phone, or mail-in order and play like it's 30-40 years ago...

SMMAssociates
June 26, 2009, 11:49 PM
I don't like the new site much, but it's adequate for me. I haven't checked "favorites" yet, though. Nothing serious, but it was handy....

Could be worse....

Regards,

Oro
June 26, 2009, 11:54 PM
Brownell's new web site is a case study in progress of how NOT to do an online-merchandising website upgrade. They are loosing a fair amount of money every day this goes on. Plus, all their links are broken from referring sites. These could have been easily indexed to the new product pages by a competent web designer and database manager.

Any online merchandiser would do a good job to call Brownell's and find out who did their web site, then be sure NOT to hire them for anything!

And I agree, Midway's search feature is a marvel of flexibility for the shopper. And people buy from sellers who have what they want - or can at least get them to it in a few clicks, not 15 minutes.

AcceptableUserName
June 27, 2009, 12:04 AM
Brownells and Midway both have terrible websites. However, both are GREAT companies.

Geneseo1911
June 27, 2009, 12:06 AM
Brownell's is the only catalog I keep around. Why? Because their website sucks. With everyone else, I know I can just go online & get curent prices & availability, so the print catalogs go straight to recycling. I really like Brownell's; they have good products & ship very fast, but they are the last place I look for stuff because I have to go upstairs and find the catalog.

xsquidgator
June 27, 2009, 10:13 AM
Midsouth Shooters Supply's website still works fine :)
Wish lists, searchability etc.

Now if they would only get some primers in :(

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 27, 2009, 11:55 AM
Oro, yep, that's what I'm sayin....

Midway is not half bad actually, but like someone said, they are severely short on in stock stuff.

MidSouth's site is pretty good, too.

Natchezz is pretty spartan and lacking but the search still works better than Brownell's. Luckily for Brownells, I'd suppose that there are still hundreds of old gunsmiths and other codgers that order from the physical catalog / phone.

Old Fuff
June 27, 2009, 12:42 PM
I usually use a copy of Brownells print catalog to find what I want, list the stock numbers, and then go to the website. Things move very quickly after that. ;)

I think part of the problem is Brownells extensive inventory of stuff. That will require time to get everything straightened out, and of course they keep adding to it. In my view the quality of the products combined with the great service makes it worthwhile to keep doing business with them.

statelineblues
June 27, 2009, 01:19 PM
I tend to use Brownell's more than Midway - my basic gripe about Midway's site (along with the shortage of stock) is when I click on there. Brownell's site is up in a second, but Midway takes 5X as long to load and every time I go to a page...

If you enjoyed reading about "Brownells is working hard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!