Hungry?...a little farm cookin....

PDA

Rembrandt
June 27, 2009, 08:31 PM
One of the side benefits to hunting.....

Bacon wrapped Deer back strap, sliced in 1.5" pieces.....marinated overnight in Italian dressing, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, pan seared in olive oil....finished on the grill. Pink center, tender enough to cut with a fork.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/backstrap1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/backstrap2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Hungry?...a little farm cookin...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
indoorsoccerfrea
June 27, 2009, 08:42 PM
*drool* :what:

Marlin 45 carbine
June 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
risotto and fried squash for sides.:)

wankerjake
June 28, 2009, 01:16 AM
Now that's eatin! I consider that one of the main benefits to hunting;)

moosehunt
June 28, 2009, 01:29 AM
Sounds and looks mighty good, but I reckon I'd prefer them just out of the skillet--that second cooking on the grill makes 'em over done for me. I like my meat very rare. Or maybeso just straight to the charcoal, skip the skillet. My squaw would appreciate that, as I don't do dishes! Against my principles!

The bummer is that I haven't had much deer in the last 8 years. No tags drawn (finally got one this year). I've had to make do with moose, elk, caribou, and sheep--and deer is my favorite!

sm
June 28, 2009, 01:51 AM
Rembrandt,

Mighty fine eatin' for sure.

After I "hunt" yeller or white onion, *wink* I like to core them, add a pat of butter, some black pepper and wrap in foil.
Toss on the grill and have this as one of the side dishes.

moosehunt
June 28, 2009, 02:44 AM
You roast and eat a whole onion? You sure have no competition from me!

sm
June 28, 2009, 03:30 AM
Baked onion is great with dishes such as Rembrandt shared.

Along with -
-Bacon wrapped dove breasts, with or without jalapeno' jack cheese...

-Fresh caught trout, with a pat of butter, squirt of lemon, wrapped in foil and tossed on the coals

-Duck Breasts, marinated in Italian dressing over night, wrapped with bacon and cooked slow in a smoker...

Ya know, I am not sure what we folks would do without bacon, or Italian dressing, as darn near everything I do with game , and everyone else I know, has bacon and Italian dressing as being part of the recipe.

I guess we would have to eat Southern Fried Quail with homemade gravy and scratch biscuits...
*grin*

JShirley
June 28, 2009, 06:47 AM
I had a friend that just cooked some very thick backstraps on the grill. The outside was done, but most of the middle of some of them was like cool jello. :barf: I could not eat it. Wish he had put 'em in the pan first...

bobbytm
June 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
wow;looks good ! Really nice !:)

SevenŠ
June 28, 2009, 09:30 AM
After I "hunt" yeller or white onion, *wink* I like to core them, add a pat of butter, some black pepper and wrap in foil.

I slice them, sprinkle some sugar on each slice, and put on a good amount of butter.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3875/img1031r.jpg

Broccoli florets on the side...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1387/img1052.jpg

Flyboy
June 28, 2009, 11:34 AM
Damnit! Here I am, trying to lose weight, and you SOBs keep posting all kinds of great food.

mumble grumble damned rabbit food...go walk to the grocery and buy some steaks...

Rembrandt
June 28, 2009, 11:46 AM
Wild game is often overcooked and dry....pan searing the meat prior to putting on the grill seals in the moisture. Too bad we don't have scratch & sniff monitors....you'd be in for a real treat. Now if the sweet corn was ready.....mmmm, mmmmm.

Tim the student
June 28, 2009, 11:52 AM
Now if the sweet corn was ready.....

We have all sorts of good sweet corn now! And it is tasty!

That backstrap looks good, I wish I still had some.

sm
June 28, 2009, 04:31 PM
Rembrandt wrote:

Wild game is often overcooked and dry....pan searing the meat prior to putting on the grill seals in the moisture.

Yes sir, and thank you posting it for the benefit of everyone.
Now with it in quotes, folks cannot "say" we did not share that with them.

Paging Derek, paging...

Re: scratch & sniff monitors

Since you are checking out new toys this new version of vB has, would you please check to see if one of the toys is scratch & sniff monitors?

Somebody with fresh sweet corn, please bribe the Sys Admin.

*stomach grumbles-n-drooling*

moosehunt
June 29, 2009, 01:06 AM
Ain't seen anything here that ain't great--sep onions!!!!! From my point of view, put onions in the mix and that's all that can be tasted--and it ain't a good taste! Each to his own, though. Not suggesting what anyone else should do.

I think someone gave my viewpoint (about overcooking)--just knock the hooves off! Keep it very rare and you won't hear this "it's so dry" BS.

I cooked a beef rib steak and a Caribou round steak for supper this evening--over charcoal. The beef came from my neighbor, as I help him out now and then--branding, sorting, gathering, etc., and he gives me some meat. This came from a steer that graded USDA Prime. The Caribou came from Alaska. I ate them on the same plate, kind of switching bites. The Caribou had much more, better flavor and was more tender than the beef, even though it was round steak! Really, it was no contest! In this case, I did nothing to either--from the freezer to the grill (well, thawed first).

Incidently, I was not the least bit surprised by the comparison results.

3pairs12
June 29, 2009, 09:21 AM
I like to put a purple onion in tin foil, sliced in 1/4s from the top but not all of the way through. Add some butter about a tablespoon and a table spoon of soy sauce and throw it on the grill for an hour. Goes good with all game.

GodGuns&Guitars
June 29, 2009, 05:31 PM
Back strap steaks, lightly seared, placed in crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low most of day, then serve over rice with red wine.

~z
June 29, 2009, 06:13 PM
I wanna play too,

~z

joshk-k
June 29, 2009, 07:12 PM
Z,

What meat is that that you're able to lay out so flat and then roll up?

That looks superb!

JOsh

~z
June 29, 2009, 08:07 PM
It is deer backstrap. Just spiral cut along the length of it (jelly roll style) and lay it out and wack it with a meat hammer for a while till it is about 3/8" thick then fill with goodies. i like fresh spinach, mushrooms, jalapenos, onions, celanto, and a good pungent cheese (like bleu chese). Throw sea salt & cracked pepper on it while wacking, roll it up and wrap with bacon and tie it up with cooking string. Throw it on a good WOOD FIRE and sear the bacon, when the bacon is done move it off the heat and throw some wet wood chunks (mesquite or pecan) on the fire and let it get about 5 mins of heavy smoke. Remove, cut the string off, slice it about an inch thick, and eat with your hands.

It is one of my best creations. Works with any critter with a backstrap.
~z

Floppy_D
June 29, 2009, 08:13 PM
Well done ~z, I'm a sucker for a roulade. :D

Rembrandt
June 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
.....lay it out and wack it with a meat hammer for a while till it is about 3/8" thick then fill with goodies.

~z.....I sense you have a culinary background, very nicely done.

P.S.
Eased my mind knowing you used a hammer.....only time I saw deer meat that flat was a roadkill.

~z
June 29, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks Floppy, I didnt know it had a name, sounds much more refined than "Goodie Roll" or "Meat Log ala Stuff in the Middle". I'm not much of a recipe guy, but I looked up "roulade" and sure enough, it is one, meat...check, cheese...check, even spinach...check, got the string on there too! Bacon is the secret, shhh, dont tell wikipedia, I dont think they know about that...yet. I do like the idea of finishing it in the oven with wine, may have to try that.

However, this is excellent with a fresh liver and done over a camp fire in the field. It will make you wonder what the poor people are having for dinner.

pinky out bon appitite
~z

PS Rem, just read your post above. Growing up poor with a rifle makes you a good shot and a chef. Getting tired of the same ole deer meat gives you a "culinary background". And If you wanna talk road kill, I have recipes for that too. They all start with "check for rigormortis...insert meat thermometer into body cavity, if temp is below 80, drive on insearch for the next...

627PCFan
June 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
This is the cruelest thread of all time

Titan6
June 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
Rodache is real popular hunters dish in Germany. Don't forget the fat or baconwhen grilling. Keeps it nice and juicy.

Floppy_D
June 29, 2009, 11:17 PM
The old saying is "hunger is the best sauce." The problem is when you become a good hunter... then there's meat around and you can't pass off starvation as a reason to eat just about anything. :D

@ ~z, you unconciously made a brilliant decision in deciding the cut on that meat; by rolling it the way you did, you made it so those neat little cut rounds have the fiber running the shortest length when cut into bites... which is part of why it was such a tender dish. (Anyone wantin' to test this is encouraged to make fajitas out of a skirt steak, and slice them both with and across the grain... one falls apart, one closely resembles the etymological root of "faja"... belt. Cut across the grain. :D )

A good braciole recipe (a beef rendition of a roulade) is listed here, (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/braciole-recipe/index.html) by Alton Brown (The nerd's chef. To keep it gun related, one of his episodes featured a trip to the range with a 45acp, gotta dig up which one it was.)

bearmgc
June 29, 2009, 11:21 PM
Ooh, it all looks so good! I would add some steamed baby spinach fresh from the garden, YUM!

jim147
June 30, 2009, 12:14 AM
For the onion people, there is nothing like a Vadalia thrown on the grill.(I hate most onions.)
I have a bit of backstrap in the freezer. I just need more people in my house that eat it.

jim

sm
June 30, 2009, 02:36 AM
I have a bit of backstrap in the freezer. I just need more people in my house that eat it.

Party at Jim's place!

*yummmm-backstraps*

SciFiJim
June 30, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'll add this.
Fried venison, scratch buttermilk biscuits and gravy for breakfast, Just like Grandma used to make when we visited for the holidays. That's one of the great meals that can not be redone, I've tried. It must be something about having a grandmother prepare it.

jim147
July 1, 2009, 05:28 PM
Party at Jim's place!

We used to have a few parties here. Catch a big mess of fish or throw some ribs on the smoker while making sausage.
My wife doesn't eat much wild game. Her family wasn't very good at preparing it.
It took me several years to get her eating fresh caught fish.

Let's see for the party: I have some backstrap. The garden's running a little slow this year but we can find something.
I also have a fence that needs a few hedge posts replaced. Another fence that needs set. The shower will be in next Tuesday for the cabin so that plumbing can be finished. Still need to do a septic and put a wall in for the bathroom. I would also like to get about a 1/4 mile section cleared wide enough for some rifle lanes.

In other words if I work you all day you'll think anything I cook tastes great.

jim

lgbloader
July 1, 2009, 11:40 PM
Call me barbaric but my favorite part of the deer comes at camp right after the kill, rinse the livers real good, cut up the livers and heart with some potatoes, onion and bacon and cook in a cast iron skillit and eat with a small bowl of Green New Mexico chili stew and some tortillas and a 6 pack of Coors.

C'mon Deer Hunt season!!!!

LGB

P.S. Looks like a fine dish, Rembrandt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hungry?...a little farm cookin...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!