Is There ANY Gun That Nobody has Anything Bad to Say About ?

PDA

welldoya
June 27, 2009, 11:02 PM
Got the idea for this thread from the gun-bashing thread below.
What are some guns that you have never heard anybody bash ? In other words , what gun has nobody got anything bad to say about it ?
Personally, I've never heard anything bad said about a Browning High Power or a Marlin 39 .22 rifle. Seems like everybody likes the old Colt Woodsman .22 pistols as well. What others have you never heard a bad word about ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is There ANY Gun That Nobody has Anything Bad to Say About ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
springmom
June 27, 2009, 11:05 PM
Nope. People bash BHP's because they're snooty. (The guns, not the people.) Or overpriced (which at this point in time is true, sadly).

If it's been talked about on a gun board it's been slammed on a gun board at some point.

Jan

Boba Fett
June 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
what gun has nobody got anything bad to say about it ?

As long as there is such a thing as "personal preference," there will be bashing.

No matter how good a firearm is, someone will find fault with it.

Unless we live in Soviet Russia. Then...

Soldier 1 - "All Russian firearms are perfect in every way!"

Soldier 2 --"But this darn AK isn't very accurate"

Soldier 1 -"What!? That sounded like a capitalist remark...execute him!"

4v50 Gary
June 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
Mauser 98. Perfection of the bolt action rifle. Mind you, it's not given to mass production techniques like a bolt action with a perfectly round receiver (think Rem 700). With a round receiver, you can get steel tubes, mill out a slot for the ejection port and another for the magazine. Quicker and easier than forged and mill. OK, I fail with the Mauser 98.

How about the Ruger 10/22. America's favorite 22 rifle?

AKElroy
June 27, 2009, 11:20 PM
What others have you never heard a bad word about ?

Ruger .22's; from the single actions to the semi auto's, generally good times by all.

Bill_G
June 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
how about the Ruger Sixes? (I own 2 of them:) )

rojocorsa
June 27, 2009, 11:24 PM
I've had Ruger Mk. IIIs jam on me before but it was probably due to the Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack.

I do like better the Mk. IIs with the long barrel. I'd say those are my favorite .22 autos

flyboy1788
June 27, 2009, 11:24 PM
another vote for the good ole mauser 98. Try and find something bad about it, I dare ya :neener:

kentucky_smith
June 27, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ruger's have crappy triggers, are inaccurate, and take a ton of aftermarket parts to get to work decent.

Mauser's are heavy, overbuilt and have a slow lock time.

This is fun, what else you got?

sm
June 27, 2009, 11:35 PM
springmom wrote:
If it's been talked about on a gun board it's been slammed on a gun board at some point.

Jan nailed it !

Even free guns get bashed...

4v50 Gary
June 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
World War II's cheaply stamped, unrifled, single shot Liberator pistol. I want one and my complaint is that I can't find one that I can afford. How's that for a complaint?

jerkface11
June 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
How about the Ruger 10/22. America's favorite 22 rifle?

There are entire forums devoted to bashing it.

Big_E
June 27, 2009, 11:41 PM
I don't think I have ever heard anybody on this forum attack CZ's products. Colt gets a good reputation but the price is usually a complaint.

BeltfedMG
June 27, 2009, 11:41 PM
MP5
Reliability
Accuracy
Very controllable in full auto
long life
Perfection in the simplest form

jdc1244
June 27, 2009, 11:42 PM
How about a least bashed guns thread?

Although one must take care with one’s thumb and ammo choices are an issue, the M1 tends to survive relatively unscathed.

jim in Anchorage
June 27, 2009, 11:44 PM
Pre war M70. Double dare ya.

welldoya
June 27, 2009, 11:45 PM
I guess it's like I heard a guy say the other day "Some people would gripe if you hung 'em with a new rope."

bensdad
June 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Marlin 336. Only complaints I remember reading or hearing are in regard to design changes, not the functionality of the gun.

crazy-mp
June 27, 2009, 11:52 PM
The Smith & Wesson model 10, other than its only a .38. :rolleyes:

Flyboy
June 28, 2009, 12:06 AM
1911's. I've never heard a complaint from anybody worth listening to.

(C'mon, you knew somebody was going to say it!)

Tim the student
June 28, 2009, 12:11 AM
Nope, people will always find something they don't like about things.

Oro
June 28, 2009, 12:12 AM
The Smith & Wesson model 10

That's a good answer. I think every serious handgunner should have one at least. I think I've heard SaxonPig say the same thing. And they are still cheap - the one "quality" gun you can still routinely find in good shape for $300 or less.

The other 'golden boy' of the gun world is the Winchester 94 in my book. Seven million happy customers can't be all wrong.

LeonCarr
June 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
It could be raining Shiner Bock beer, and somebody would still be bashing certain guns :).

I am guilty too...do a search of LeonCarr and 1911 :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

TexasRifleman
June 28, 2009, 12:15 AM
Never heard anyone say bad things about a Garand, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

welldoya
June 28, 2009, 12:16 AM
"The Smith & Wesson model 10 "

I would certainly have to add that one to the list. Also the 336 and 94 that were mentioned. (except for the "new" safeties) All great guns.

Isher
All of mine.

Unless I'm the one doing the 'cussin.

Matter of fact, I was saying some mighty bad words at my weedeater today.

Damned if it isn't running like a champ, now.

isher

Deus Machina
Marlin Model 60's.

The only complaint I've ever heard is the inability to swap out the barrel, and AFAIK that's veering away from the true nature of the beast.

Prophet
June 28, 2009, 12:18 AM
Marlin 30-30 rifle. I think every household in my area has one of those darned leverguns and I've never heard a complaint. You just can't hurt them. They're idiot proof.

TheFallGuy
June 28, 2009, 12:24 AM
as a lefty, I get to complain about a lot of guns not being very south paw friendly. Even if a left hand model is made, it is generally quite rare and more expensive.

They're out there. They do exist. But good luck finding one.

IMHO every gun has it's flaws. Generally the flaws that people find are silly. Or they are quality control issues (like my last 870).

Lots of the gun buying public are idiots who don't train enough and then complain when their $1000 rifle/scope combo performs like a $300 combo. Or they don't maintain their firearms enough which leads to inaccurate or unreliable firearms.

My point is there is no perfect firearm, but a good portion of flaws found are in the user.
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merriam-webster.com%2Fdictionary%2Finaccuracies&ei=LvBGSqv3BYK4NefDjHI&usg=AFQjCNF0-bNrNr7sUqkjNlddQeLychDLsw&sig2=-_7uiuTSEVaEprzADpDHKA)

highorder
June 28, 2009, 12:30 AM
You don't hear too many bad words about Freedom Arms revolvers, except for the price.

I suspect people that complain about the price of a gun also complain about the price of a dozen eggs. :rolleyes:

sm
June 28, 2009, 12:32 AM
Re: Least Bashed.

Red Ryder BB Gun

Smith & Wesson Model 10, and Winchester Model 94 I agree with.
Colt Detective Special and Marlin 336s are two others...still...of all the guns I can think of, a Red Ryder just seems to have the least bashing.

Even folks not really into guns, have positive memories of that gun.

Think about it. No caliber war, as it is just a BB gun.
Memories of little boys and little girls with parents, or grandparents, with that gun. Oh these same boys and girls may grow up and not be into guns, hunting, or anything else. Heck, they may turn out to be anti's...just the memory of a parent or grandparent and "that Red Ryder" and "I can do it", "my turn, my turn"...etc.,

Heck even the anti's know one of the most posted movies quotes...

*smile*

welldoya
June 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
Personally, I had a Daisy Model 25 pump but I did give my boy a Red Ryder when he was about 5 or 6. I've also given my nephew one.

2RCO
June 28, 2009, 12:39 AM
I've never heard anyone bash the Browning Superposed. If someone trashes them they are not worth listening to.

The Mauser 98 and M1 are basically unbashable as well.

The Mosin Nagant gets bashed but really doesn't deserve it.

Everyone knows my 1911 affinity so I won't mention them too much :) . I've got one made in 1918 I'd trust as far as any other gun I own. It has never malfunctioned in any way and has eaten everything I've ever fed it--that isn't bad for a 90yr old gun.

I think it is pretty hard to trash the Colt Single Action for pure staying power.

Oro
June 28, 2009, 12:41 AM
Red Ryder BB Gun

Dang, that's another good answer. I have my childhood one still, and it still shoots well. Plus it's a classic design - I've never seen a "prettier" air gun.

PS on the model 10/ Ur-M&P: it has a real place in my heart because it is the only gun I've ever shot an off-hand one-hole five shot group with. It wasn't a fixed sight gun, it wasn't a target model, it was this 1942 Navy Victory. AND it was double action! These guns make you a better shot than you really are.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/S-W/1942%20Navy/IMGP4343-1.jpg

sm
June 28, 2009, 12:43 AM
Model 25 you say?

Why don't we wait until the first Tuesday of July, and post a Red Ryder vs Model 25 vs <enter make /model of BB gun> thread to show our appreciation to moderators around here, by giving them a headache?

*sticks tongue out*

Seriously, we need a fun thread with Red Ryders, and other simple BB guns, with it being summer and doing stuff with kids and family.

w_houle
June 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
Nope! There's always someone out there with a complaint about it, especially if it's ever been an issued weapon.

LancerMW
June 28, 2009, 12:54 AM
oh yea, absolutly LOVE my model 10! i have shot my single most accurate group ever with that gun !!!

10-Ring
June 28, 2009, 01:22 AM
Let's see, S&W Sigmas get some negative discussion time -- Taurus gets some -- more for their semi autos than their wheelguns, Glock and their infamous bore axis and history of kb!'s and maybe the many fine guns from Lorcin and Davis.
I think as boards grow and membership increases, you'll find fans for most everything but rest assured, there is crap out there and people will buy that crap and some will like it.

paintballdude902
June 28, 2009, 01:27 AM
ummm maybe the ruger single six .22 revolver

people trash ol' bill ruger but not really his single six or bear cat

zxcvbob
June 28, 2009, 01:48 AM
S&W Model 15, Ruger Security Six, and Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. Each one is a different view of perfection. (I own all 3, so maybe I'm biased -- notice that they are all revolvers ;))

BHP almost makes the list, and the M1 Garand.

PT1911
June 28, 2009, 01:52 AM
NEGATORY.... someone will always have something bad to say about every gun...

on the same note, someone will always have something good to say about the biggest piece of **** in production... just the human nature to look for the worst in things and somehow the best in others....

Babarsac
June 28, 2009, 01:54 AM
My favorite rifle....until I get a Garand ;)

burrhead
June 28, 2009, 01:54 AM
Ma Duce. Well, that is, if you'er not on the wrong end of her. :D

PT1911
June 28, 2009, 01:59 AM
Marlin Model 60's.

I will put that one to rest right now... they are pieces of crap that eat themselves from the inside out.. worth the 80 bucks you would pay at a pawn shop and not a cent more...accurate considering they are semi-auto...but inconvenient to load and reload.

if you cannot tell.. I am more of a 10/22 guy...

doc2rn
June 28, 2009, 02:23 AM
The 10/22 is junk compared to the 77/22s so lets not go there. I love Rugers though the GP100, MKII, and 77/22 near perfection in my book!

Kind of Blued
June 28, 2009, 02:24 AM
Honestly, the Liberator pistol mention is remarkable.

An expedited design, pumped out on the cheap, raining from the sky, for free, so tyrannized Jews and other minorities can execute Nazis.

That's a good gun. ;)

JShirley
June 28, 2009, 02:33 AM
If no-one's got a nasty thing to say...no-one's shot or handled it.

Now, the BHP is a pretty good piece, but the safety kinda sucks. Too small and not positive enough.

John

chieftain
June 28, 2009, 02:43 AM
US Springfield 03

Go figure.

Fred

Stupid should hurt

wickedsprint
June 28, 2009, 07:43 AM
My BHP should not have came with a mag disconnect and my Marlin 39A fails to eject one round per magazine...

Luckily each one is definitely fixable..although I'm going to leave the BHP alone. The mag disconnect does not bother me.

CajunBass
June 28, 2009, 08:11 AM
Single Shot shotguns.

Oh, wait. They usually "kick like a mule." :D

So much for that idea.

gimlet1/21
June 28, 2009, 08:20 AM
mossberg 702 plinkster, isn't it exactly what everone expects from a $100 22lr?

danprkr
June 28, 2009, 08:25 AM
Honestly, the Liberator pistol mention is remarkable.

An expedited design, pumped out on the cheap, raining from the sky, for free, so tyrannized Jews and other minorities can execute Nazis.

That's a good gun.

Now if we just had the political will to send them to Iran right now.

Seriously, it's been said before, but as long as people have different preferences there will be bashing of everything. During the day the Garand was knocked as being a Mickey Mouse piece of $%(! compared to the 1903 Springfield. Just human nature.

Hutch
June 28, 2009, 08:56 AM
Most Mauser 98 sights SUUUUUUCK. Ruger SA revolvers are inconvenient to load and unload. Garands are way too heavy. The free beer is probably gonna be too cold, too. My first ever revolver, an RG10 in .22 Short (or LR HP, if you filed the bullet down to allow it to fit the length of the cylinder), now THAT was a work of art...

DeepSouth
June 28, 2009, 09:05 AM
Never heard anything bad about

1: a 1911

2: a Glock

3: anything in a 9mm

4: anything in a .45

Sorry, I just couldn't help it.:banghead:

SpikeBayonet
June 28, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ruger Mark II - people love 'em

But I didn't care for mine (got frustrated re-assembling it after cleaning) and got rid of it, go figure...

BobOfTheFuture
June 28, 2009, 09:17 AM
For its time, 1861 Colt Navy

While old, Im pretty sure the little additions here and there made it the perfect gun, Because the 1851 was nearly perfect.

In our time, its like a light saber- "A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age"

HoosierQ
June 28, 2009, 09:33 AM
I swear I've never heard anybody bash CZ...especially the CZ-75.

strangelittleman
June 28, 2009, 10:27 AM
S&W: 10, 14, 15, 3 1/2" m27, 686.
Colt: Official Police, Police Positve, Detective, Woodsman, Trooper & MK3
CZ: 75, P01, SP01
Winchester: Pre-64 M70, 1894
Remington: 870
SIG: P210, 220, 226, 228
Beretta: M70, 84
Springfield '03,
Garand M1
Lee-Enfield series .303
I can't really remember anyone really bashing any of the above, well except for the usual crybabies, uh, er suspects.

iScream
June 28, 2009, 11:42 AM
I swear I've never heard anybody bash CZ...especially the CZ-75.

I had a CZ 75B for a while and the trigger was absolutely horrendous.

-Chris

SharpsDressedMan
June 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
For a general purpose handgun, I have to agree with the S&W Model 10. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and pretty much the same goes for it's variants: Models 15, 19, 13, 64, 65, 66, etc. A "K" frame that shoots .38 Special (at the least), has decent aesthetics and worksmanship, is reliable as hell if properly maintained, and usually a superior trigger action, can't be beat. I just sold a fine "vintage" Model 10, but never would have done so if I didn't have a "keeper" almost exactly like it. I'm sure there have been many gunners or households that had a model !0 laying around, or even heavily used (many police officers), over the last 80-100 years, that could attest to the form and function of such a dependable and practical handgun.

sm
June 28, 2009, 12:10 PM
Okay, so far we have:
Model 10, Liberator, Red Ryder, Pre 64 M70, Garand M1...

I know how talented this bunch is, and I know darn well we can come up with one heck of a whopping "my gun is better than your gun" thread going with just these guns nobody has anything to say something bad about.

I am sticking with the Red Ryder.
If it was good enough for Jonah to have slung while he water skied behind that whale, swimming so fast to part the Red Sea, and he felled all them catfish and hush puppies with it, for a down home fish fry, it is good enough for me.

*wink*

JShirley
June 28, 2009, 12:35 PM
Garand M1

You're kidding, right? The M1 was designed to shoot an intermediate cartridge that would have probably soldiered on, quite well, until at least the mid-1960s. (There would have never been a .308, and the M14 might still be in use today.) Changing to the .30-06 cartridge caused reliability issues that took a while, and a few mods of course, to iron out.

(Yet another reason I think D. Mac. was an idiot.)

And do you not have thumbs? Mine are still sore (yuck, yuck) at the Garand.

John

starkadder
June 28, 2009, 05:56 PM
My vote is for the Browning A5 and the Winchester Model12, the only complains that I have ever heard that you could even qualify as a an issue is the weight of both guns.
The A5 is the quintisential auto loading shotgun, they are unsurpassed in reliability if properly maintained.
I have an A5 that my father bought in 1951, He was a duck hunting finatic and hunted almost every day of the season. I received the gun for my birthday in 1978 and still hunt with it some, if I do my job it has never failed me. This gun has taken more ducks than most people could imagine along with the seven deer and probably eight or ten hogs that I have taken.
The model12 is other than weight the is the best pump action shotgun ever built, they have record of reliability that is unsurpassed. They are still in use today even though they have been out of production for many years and if you talk to anyone who ever hunted with one they will probably tell you that it was the best gun they ever used. If you take issue with the weight of either of these guns just remember they are heavy because they are made of all machined steel parts that are assembled with very close tolerences, so they are extreamly tough.

This is this! It's not something else, it's this!

Don't pull it if you don't plan to use it, and don't use it if you don't plan to kill!

ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR MEN AND WOMEN OVER THERE.

sm
June 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
Re: A5 and Model 12.

You darn right I can complain!

For starters I don't have one of either.
I could continue, instead I will cut to the chase.

I was only $4,799 dollars short , of the $4,800 for a Model 12 in 28 ga I held, hugged, threw to shoulder, did not want to give back at the Tulsa Gun show one year.

Larry Ashcraft was there...
Heck I let Larry hold the darn thing and he held it too long in my opinion, so I snatched it back.

*grin*

Gamera
June 28, 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi-Point :neener:

Ky Larry
June 28, 2009, 08:39 PM
Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine. Is there anythinhg not to like? It does exactly what it was designed to do every single time.
Also the Colt 1911's, I'm not talking about the 1911-type pistols but the real thing built to the original specs firing the ammo it was designed for. Idiots bash all 1911's constantly because they aren't bright enough to realize the difference.

Poor East Texan
June 28, 2009, 08:44 PM
Aside from a kick like a mule there is nothing I've ever heard bad about the Remington 870.

The Makarov seems to be thought of pretty well.

Except for Magazine availability/cost I have NEVER heard a cross word about my Astra A-80.

herohog
June 28, 2009, 08:51 PM
+1 on the Model 10 (-8 of course!)

http://herohog.com/images/guns/Model10L.jpg

R.W.Dale
June 28, 2009, 08:53 PM
cZ zkm 452 trainer.

Nobody and i mean nobody has anything disparaging to say bout these

clemsonu0219
June 28, 2009, 09:22 PM
Maybe... worldwide... AK-47?

Of course most are operated by people we don't see much else, but its hard to argue with something that goes bang every time and is (well used to be) cheap??

jad0110
June 28, 2009, 10:04 PM
Least bashed guns, IMO:

- S&W Model 10, pre-lock. Paricularly pre-10 long-action types. A DA trigger that is the epitome of perfection.

- Colt 1851 Navy

- Colt 1873 SAA

- Winchester Model 12

- Anshutz and Kimber 22 bolt actions (other than price)

- Freedom Arms revolvers (again, other than price)

- S&W Registered Magnum (other than price too)

- S&W K-22 Masterpiece and pre-war Outdoorsman (actually, all pre-lock / MIM 22 and 38 S&W K-Frames could be listed)

Again, someone out there has bashed these (like all guns). But I think they'd at least be in the top 20 "least bashed".

f4t9r
June 28, 2009, 10:08 PM
someone always has something bad to say about every gun out there.
some is true and others just like to hear themselfs talk.

cchris
June 29, 2009, 09:48 PM
1: a 1911

2: a Glock

3: anything in a 9mm

4: anything in a .45

This is what I've heard about 3...

1: Too expensive (but I'd fork over the cash for one)

2: Ugly (50% of people I know agree) and overpriced

3: Not enough "stopping power"

Of course the Mauser 98 gets some bashing, but I've seen much much less of it compared to other rifles. The M1 Garand is about on the same level.

As for the 10/22, of course some people will bash it, but it's a very largely popular gun, so I think the percentage of satisfied owners is higher than some other guns in the same price range.

I haven't heard a lot of bashing on bolt action Savage .22's.

jhco
June 29, 2009, 09:58 PM
Garrand
HK p7

Mags
June 29, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have nothing bad to say about my guns :)

w_houle
June 29, 2009, 10:06 PM
- S&W Model 10, pre-lock. Paricularly pre-10 long-action types. A DA trigger that is the epitome of perfection.

... and a country mile's worth of trigger pull, and non adjustable sights couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside.
- Colt 1851 Navy
Two of those Colts could be traded in on a Remington
:neener:

essayons21
June 29, 2009, 10:10 PM
Quality 1911s... even though some may deride them as archaic, no true gunny does not appreciate a good looking, good shooting 1911.

M1 Garand... "M1 thumb" is a badge of honor.

M2 "Ma Duece"... my personal favorite... never heard a bad word said about them.

Maybe J.M. Browning was on to something?

Remington 700s and Winchester Model 70s... I've heard plenty of complaints about the 710, but that doesn't count. I've heard some grumbles from some mauser types but its really more of a personal preference issue than a bash.

Oro
June 29, 2009, 10:30 PM
Okay, so far we have:
Model 10, Liberator, Red Ryder, Pre 64 M70, Garand M1...

You are joking about the Liberator and the Garand, right? Guns that blow up in users' hands, and guns that take off thumbs should not qualify. "First, do no harm" should be used in more places than just the Hippocratic oath, in my opinion!

And if maiming doesn't disqualify the Garand, then how about weighing two to three pounds more than necessary, and becoming in/op if you put a standard .30-06 'round down the tube? And how about that neat "Spoing! I'm out of ammo and you come out from your cover" feature it has built in? Not so bad when facing down a mule deer in Wyoming in the winter, but dang inconvenient when facing the SS in the Ardennes...

OK, this isn't a personal favorite of mine, but lot's of folks love them and I have nothing harsh to say about it - the BHP. Somebody must have mentioned that already, right?

I'd say the current contenders are: S&W Military & Police (aka, Model 10), Winchester M70, Red Ryder, and the Winchester 94 and similar .30-30 lever guns.

crazy-mp
June 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ruger Mark II - people love 'em

But I didn't care for mine (got frustrated re-assembling it after cleaning) and got rid of it, go figure

Well at least I feel better, thats a deep dark secret of mine, I don't shoot it because I fear I would never be able to get it back together again. (MK III 22/45)

+1 for the model 10, oh wait I was the one that said it to begin with...:D

welldoya
June 29, 2009, 11:16 PM
I've got two Mark II stainless bull barrels that I have put literally thousands of rounds thru. I've never taken them apart and cleaned them. I just clean the barrel and whatever part of the action I can get to with Q tips. They both work fine.

sm
June 29, 2009, 11:58 PM
Oro wrote:
I'd say the current contenders are: S&W Military & Police (aka, Model 10), Winchester M70, Red Ryder, and the Winchester 94 and similar .30-30 lever guns.

I can agree with this list, plus one more- Something

What is a Something?

To heck if I know.

Still there must Something that is so ugly, ergonomically challenging, difficult to shoot...something, that nobody will admit to having owned one, shot one, touched one, or even gotten within 50 feet of one, therefore nobody ever bashes it.

So what we have now is: S&W Military & Police (aka, Model 10), Winchester M70, Red Ryder, and the Winchester 94 and similar .30-30 lever guns, and Something.

*brilliant huh*

Red Tornado
June 30, 2009, 12:37 AM
I don't recollect ever hearing complaints about the CZ rimfires. I've also never heard real complaints about the Remington 5-teens. The 510, 511, and 512; just choose your favorite feeding mechanism.
RT

cleetus03
June 30, 2009, 12:49 AM
Duh, the correct answer is obviously RoboCop's Auto-9.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/0/09/BerettaAuto9.jpg

This is a picture of RoboCop just before he pwns every cop at the local pd range.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e6/Vlcsnap-196203.jpg

Fleetwood_Captain
June 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
I'm suprised I haven't heard this comment yet...

What about ANY high-standard .22?

Other than price, you'd be hard pressed to find people willing to discredit the quality of a high-standard .22 pistol. What other design has seen so many imitators. Even Colt and Beretta have released pistols imitating high standard designs. Please compare the Colt Cadet and Beretta Neos to the High Standard Duramatic.

This is one of the few examples of a company that failed because they were more focused on quality than the bottom line.

Regular Joe
June 30, 2009, 06:07 AM
I haven't read every single post here, but my 9mm Glocks have given me no cause for grief. Yes, I know where the safety is.......... Anyone who has that problem with a Glock should not be allowed to handle sharp or heavy objects, let alone firearms.

jbrown50
June 30, 2009, 07:31 AM
Smith & Wesson Model 29/629.
Very few if any bad comments other than recoil and size :rolleyes:.
More American than even the 1911 :uhoh:.

General Electric MiniGun.
People have too much fun shootin' it to think negetively about it.

Beetle Bailey
June 30, 2009, 07:39 AM
CZ 452 and Marlin 39 rifles. Lots of fun, and who's gonna pick on a nice .22?

Dravur
June 30, 2009, 08:59 AM
I have never heard a bad word about Glocks... Never, not once.

iScream
June 30, 2009, 09:18 AM
I did a lot of research before buying my S&W 686 and 617 revolvers. Don't remember running across many negative comments. Maybe price and having a lock but I don't really count those since neither is a defect or functional problem. I have a couple thousand rounds through the 617, about seven hundred through the 686 and I can't think of anything bad to say.

-Chris

EdLaver
June 30, 2009, 11:55 AM
The only complaint I ever had about 1911's was capacity, but thanks to PARA I have no complaints anymore :)

HB
June 30, 2009, 12:45 PM
Lever actions are the most dangerous rifles to operate.
The Garand is heavy and its popularity relies on emotions rather than fact. Also, don't lose your clips.
The 1911 is too large for ME to conceal and the shorter the slide, the less reliable they are.
The Ruger 10/22 is inaccurate from the factory and expensive for what you get.
The Ruger Single Six has a poor trigger and is overly heavy.

All guns are too heavy, recoil too much, and aren't cheap enough:D

HB

41022collector
June 30, 2009, 04:36 PM
The Para GI Expert to me is by far the best piece I have ever owned. No complaints at all.

Quality - Excellent
Cost - very good, beats most .45's hands down for the features
Features - very good
Ability to fire almost anything - Very good
Avail - very good
Finish - very good
reliability - very good to excellent

If you are looking for a very good and reliable .45 in US Military size but with custom features, this is it.

Regards,
Mike

hso
June 30, 2009, 04:40 PM
Model 12 pump.

TheFallGuy
June 30, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have never heard a bad word about Glocks... Never, not once.
you're kidding right? It's ugly (not a valid complain, I know). It doesn't feel very good (I've never picked up a glock that pointed right or felt comfy). I've shot them numerous times and feel there are much more accurate weapons out there that are just as reliable for the same price.

Igloodude
June 30, 2009, 07:45 PM
S&W Model 25/625: .45ACP goodness in a revolver. What's not to like? :)

Dravur
July 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
Pssstttt....Thefallguy....

Sorry, I must have forgotten to put the little Sarcasm emoticon out there for you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There ya go.

Sarcasm, it is everywhere.

svtruth
July 2, 2009, 11:06 AM
is a beautiful gun. I have one with a 4" barrel. Great ergonomics, lovely trigger, .357/.38.
What is not to like?

BigNYMini
July 2, 2009, 01:31 PM
It all depends on price. Any popular firearm/longarm can be either loved or hated because of price/value perception. A Glock at under $400 would be considered a must-have for some while a Plinkster 702 at $300+ would be an Obamanation (pun intended, couldnt resist):D.

That being said the CZ75 based Baby Eagle /Jehrico in .45 seems to have no detractors as far as I have seen unless of course you are an anti-steel frame CCW only sort of person.

jmr40
July 2, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have probably heard less negative remarks about the Browning Hi-Power than any other pistol.

MudPuppy
July 3, 2009, 03:35 AM
you can't please everyone all the time--

I know what I like and then there's those guns that have a "wide consensus", but I dare say it's impossible to find a single gun that no one could complain about.

There's too many competing needs in design, weight vs recoil, accuracy vs reliability, power vs capacity, compact vs range--not saying any is mutually exclusive, but it's all down to what compromise gets made.

And the internet has proven two things, one is that people love/need/want to whinge. :)

Here's proof--I fired an M1 Garand a few months back...didn't care for it. Shames me to say, I feel a tiny bit unAmerican admitting it, but it's true. I want to like it, I just can't. :(

rodngun
July 3, 2009, 11:57 AM
Yep-There is one.The Remington model 700.There is absolutely nothing that can be said negative about the gun.Period.

TexasRifleman
July 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
You are joking about the Liberator and the Garand, right? Guns that blow up in users' hands, and guns that take off thumbs should not qualify. "First, do no harm" should be used in more places than just the Hippocratic oath, in my opinion!

And if maiming doesn't disqualify the Garand, then how about weighing two to three pounds more than necessary, and becoming in/op if you put a standard .30-06 'round down the tube? And how about that neat "Spoing! I'm out of ammo and you come out from your cover" feature it has built in? Not so bad when facing down a mule deer in Wyoming in the winter, but dang inconvenient when facing the SS in the Ardennes...

I didn't realize that not knowing how to use the gun is now the GUN'S fault.

rodngun
July 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
oopps;

And the 870.

searcher451
July 3, 2009, 03:39 PM
How about the original Colt SAA .45? It's tough to argue with the beauty and simplicity of that fine handgun.

jim in Anchorage
July 3, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yep-There is one.The Remington model 700.There is absolutely nothing that can be said negative about the gun.Period.
#1-the bolts have been know to break off.
#2-the hair pin extractor breaks.
#3-the safety blocks only the trigger and not the firing pin. It dosn't lock the bolt shut.

janedoedad
July 3, 2009, 05:26 PM
Winchester Model 52

Buckhannon
July 3, 2009, 06:17 PM
Colt 45 Peacemaker

Matrix187
July 3, 2009, 07:03 PM
CZ 75 series... CZ 550 rifles, safari rifles, CZ's in general :D The only one that is talked down is the CZ-52, which is old and not even made by the same company we know today..

rodngun
July 3, 2009, 10:29 PM
Jim;

After 41 years of Remington guns.I have never had any of the things you listed go wrong.Guess I just been buying the right ones.:D
Not saying they cant or wont,just aiont never happend to me.

scythefwd
July 4, 2009, 01:36 AM
savage 840. I have never seen or heard anything bad about the gun. I haven't heard of a complaint either. I have seen mention of the split reciver design and that I shouldn't use the max loads for reloading... but that was more a warning to keep me from blowing myself up and not a complaint about the gun itself.

dacavasi
July 4, 2009, 01:51 AM
+1, Model 12 Winchester....

Archie
July 4, 2009, 08:38 PM
Is There ANY Gun That Nobody has Anything Bad to Say About?

Probably not.

woerm
July 4, 2009, 09:01 PM
I buzzed through earlier and didn't see it listed.

The only negative I've ever heard was that receiver manufacturing was changed circa the mid 60's

My late 70's carbine version hasn't ever hiccupped. So I didn't follow the gripe of machined vs cast.:scrutiny: Hey it's still in my case ready for Bambi defense manouvers.

Both (machined or cast) will likely outlast me and my kids and their kids.

I know, I was hunting in the Mid 70's w/ GGGrandpa's 94 Rifle. Probably bought new circa 1900. That's why I went with the carbine. That rifle was heavy. Full disclosure I was 5'8' and about 90lbs when I hunted w/ that 30.30 94 rifle.:)

woerm

steveracer
December 31, 2009, 11:07 PM
I've never read a single disparaging word about the Smith and Wesson K-frame in .38Special.
Not ever.

Tully M. Pick
December 31, 2009, 11:27 PM
My Smith and Wesson K-frame in .38Special is a piece of garbage. Trigger pull a mile long and I believe the cylinder is ovoid in shape instead of circular.

Paints
December 31, 2009, 11:45 PM
Was yours made by Heritage Arms? ;-)

mrjohnston
December 31, 2009, 11:59 PM
Remington 870 and 700. I have zero complaints about those two.

GunsAmerica Fan
January 1, 2010, 12:46 AM
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about a mossberg 500. what could you say bad about them? I own 6 lol.

zombienerd
January 1, 2010, 01:08 AM
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about a mossberg 500. what could you say bad about them? I own 6 lol.

Safety is in a horrible spot.. I much prefer the Maverick 88's safety location.

When I was in the Navy, every time I slung a 500, the safety was always getting knocked off by rubbing stuff on my belt.

I think that the point of this thread is that there has NEVER, and will NEVER be a gun that EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE will agree on as "perfect".

Tim the student
January 1, 2010, 11:31 AM

Yup, I don't like where the safety is located. Most that I have used have been very stiff too. Now you have heard two people say bad things about them.

I think that the point of this thread is that there has NEVER, and will NEVER be a gun that EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE will agree on as "perfect".

Yup, I think so.

bozzman3
January 1, 2010, 12:05 PM
Ruger Gp 100 I swear this revolver will be around for the next 500 years!

Marlin 45 carbine
January 1, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a s/s GP .357 agree its a tough revolver.
can anyone complain about a good .380acp?
Mossad says a 9mm Para has over-penetration problem so .380 should be ideal, and also the regular .38spcl duty loads.
my carry is the 9mm Makarov basically the .380acp on steroids.
my 'deep' carry is the Berreta Tomcat .32acp.

oneounceload
January 1, 2010, 12:19 PM
An AyA number 1 comes pretty close to the OP requirements, as do guns from Peter Hofer or Philipp Ollendorff. None are cheap, but then excellence doesn't come cheap

frankiestoys
January 1, 2010, 12:27 PM
I have more then a few guns and like them all, none of them are perfect, well except one. I agree the Ruger gp 100 is one fine revolver, alot complain about the trigger and i just don't see it mine is like silk. It gets my vote and well if you don't agree ask me if i care.:neener:

Paints
January 1, 2010, 12:35 PM

The GP100 are very good guns, but I don't know about the 500 years! The GP100 is an update of the Security Six, which was also an excellent gun, but that didn't stop it from being updated.

Mossad says a 9mm Para has over-penetration problem so .380 should be ideal, and also the regular .38spcl duty loads.

????? I suggest that read the report of the Miami FBI shootout which lead to their .38 specials being replaced with 10mm (then 40SW). I don't know who "Mossad" is (Israeli Intelligence?) but this is the first time I've ever heard some say that 9mm has an over penetration problem (especially in JHP) and I've never heard anyone say that a .380 is "ideal". .380 is a compromise, a big compromise where concealability is more important than effectiveness.

I don't think any law enforcement organization still carries .38 special "duty loads". That's an 80 year old term. And it sure isn't going to stop some drug crazy on PCP.

I also suggest that you read the FBI report on wounding ballistics.

I will agree that a .380 is adequate in the majority of self defense situations where no rounds need to be fired.

Ken

p.s. -- according to accounts of the Miami shootout, a 9mm round that hit an FBI agent in the chest, stopped an inch short of his heart. I wouldn't call that "over penetration".

GunsAmerica Fan
January 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
aw. I'm disillusioned now. how bout a stevens 311 12ga?

jakk280rem
January 1, 2010, 01:01 PM
i don't think ive heard too many people bash on the makarov.

chieftain
January 1, 2010, 01:11 PM

Seems I heard someone else say something like that about the Ruger Security Six in the mid 70's. (no longer in production)

I guess, we should at least wait until the gun is 50 years old before we begin with the hyperbole.

You know like the Colt 45acp government, Winchester 94, Marlin 336/1895/1894/39A, Smith & Wesson K Frame. Savage 99, etc...... You know guns at or approaching 100+ years of production. I would be much more apt to think some of them will be around in 500 years. If we are still using present type technology for small arms.

Go figure.

Fred

Skillet
January 1, 2010, 03:33 PM
I have nothing bad to say about my first bb gun. A daisy Buck. that thing was as cheap as can get, but you point it at a target, and it seems that even when the sights arent dead on the bullseye, that lone bb will always find its way there. the thing was like a shotgun, point and shoot.

fond memories of backyard plinking.

Skillet
January 1, 2010, 03:50 PM
but really, how many of these complaints are valid?

I have held many pistols, but only shot my CZ 75B and a taurus 1911.

I have held many rifles, but only shot a mossberg .22 plinkster, a savage mk II or mk III left handed bolt action .22, a left handed bolt action savage 110 .243, and a left handed savage 110 bolt action .30-06.

the only revolver i have shot is a heritage arms .22/.22 mag "rough rider" revolver.

I can't really give my honest first hand opinion on any other guns until I have shot them, so all the advice I have is second hand from many sources, unless it is of course on the guns I have stated on above. I doubt that many people have first hand experience on all of these firearms.
think about it-

there are hundreds of manufacturers of guns that make all different types of actions, from semi-auto pistols to single shot rifles. then they might have more than one of these types of guns, like berretta for example who makes revolvers, semi auto handguns, semi auto rifles, three types of shotguns, bolt action rifles, lever action rifles, and probably even more than that. then they have many different models of those types of actions, then the same model may have a different trigger or finish or barrel length on it. the list is endless.

I highly doubt that anybody has shot that many guns, unless if they do that for a living or goes shooting all the time.

so how much do we really all know?

just something to think about.

S&W-Keeper
January 1, 2010, 08:07 PM
It would be hard to find fault with a model 10 S&W.

gym
January 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
I can't think of any auto's, maybe a few revolvers, but anything with moving parts and human interaction is eventually going to have a kodak moment.

jaimeshawn3
January 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
The S&W Model 10 is super sweet; Garand is super also.

Does anyone have a bad word about the S&W 629? Stainless steel 44 mag. Super accurate at pistol ranges. I can not seem to duplicate Elmer Keith's 600 yard load, but I assume that is my problem.

Paints
January 2, 2010, 04:20 PM
Does anyone have a bad word about the S&W 629? Stainless steel 44 mag. Super accurate at pistol ranges. I can not seem to duplicate Elmer Keith's 600 yard load, but I assume that is my problem.

I have a 4" 629-1 (the early "pinned and recessed" model). Very nice gun, but these early models were not designed for constant heavy loads. I shoot loads in my Super Redhawk that I will not shoot in the 629.

Later, S&W upgraded the 629 ("Magnum Upgrade Project") and it's supposed to be very good. But if I were trying to emulate Elmer Keith, I think I'd stick to the Ruger :) Some of the loading manuals have loads for "Ruger and TC ONLY". I think that says a lot.

On second thought, I don't think I'd try to emulate Elmer. Reading about it is more along my conservative level, LOL.

But AFAIK, the 27 and 29/629 are very good guns.

Ken

The Highlander
January 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
Never heard of anyone bashing an M2, though one could point out their price and the price of ammunition to feed it.

WaMason
January 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
Do people complain much about FAL's? I dont yet own, one, but the ones I have handled are their owners favorite's usually.

For those who have had the opportunity to fire them, I have heard zero complaints about the BAR, and the H&K MP5/10.

76shuvlinoff
January 2, 2010, 04:51 PM
Walther P38?

[Pb]
January 2, 2010, 05:07 PM
The only guns that don't get bashed are the boring ones.

9mmepiphany
January 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
How about the original Colt SAA .45?
designed for a lefty

Do people complain much about FAL's?
hard to mount scope on the thin top cover

Walther P38?
horrible DA trigger pull

Isher
January 2, 2010, 07:51 PM
OK............

Door closed? Cellphone off?

Pretty scarce item out there, but I'll clue you in,

Because I have a couple.

It is called the UnobtainiGun.

You'll never find it on Gunbroker or in a gunstore,

For any price.

It helps if:

1.) You are a descendant of the composer Richard Wagner

or

2.) A redhaired stepchild,

Or both.

It has no particular country of origin,

Nor maker, nor caliber, nor age.

It might be a rifle, a shotgun, a handgun.

They can be found everywhere, and nowhere.

They absolutely disappear if you try to look for one.

They appear when you least expect it.

And they last you your lifetime, with no

-That is, absolutely zero -

Complaints.

So, remember, folks,

"The UnobtainiGun!"

The Best Firearms Ever Made.

isher

Dave B
January 2, 2010, 07:56 PM
I'd vote for a S&W Model 14 with 3 Ts as near perfect.

chuckusaret
January 3, 2010, 11:39 AM
aw. I'm disillusioned now. how bout a stevens 311 12ga?

I am shocked to not have seen someone mention the Glock. Most Glock owners seem to have never heard anything bad about a Glock, I guess they never heard of the 1st Generation G22, a major POS in my book.

wishin
January 3, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hate to burst some bubbles here, but there is nothing in this world that no one will find fault with!:D

Red Label
January 3, 2010, 03:44 PM
I've read through every comment in this entire thread and it occurred to me that maybe I should start a thread for the MOST bashed guns without good reason. My Red Label comes to mind, probably the MOST bashed gun in the universe.

Of course fistfights will break out:what:

fireman 9731
January 3, 2010, 04:47 PM
Browning Auto 5?

T/C Encore-Contender? The only fault I have with them is the price...

I don't think I have ever heard anybody fault a Savage model 24(over under shotgun rifle combo)

I have also never heard any complaints about the H&R Buffalo Classics. Sure, its no Sharps, but it can do the exact same thing.

Just some thoughts....

bushmaster1313
January 3, 2010, 04:50 PM
Smith & Wesson Model 60 38 Special.

Accurate, small enough to fit in a pocket, packs enough punch for a CCW, pull trigger and it goes bang, if you can't stop the bad guy with 5 shots you have not been practising enough.

Only ones who don't like it are the Liberals who want to ban all guns.

22-rimfire
January 3, 2010, 04:50 PM
I doubt there hasn't been a gun made that someone on one of these forums hasn't bashed for a number of reasons. It's sort of a given as far as I'm concerned. You can't please everyone.

Crawfish141
January 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
http://www.lugerforum.com/images/dwm_g.jpg
Perfection! I've never heard anyone bash one of these, ever.

wishin
January 3, 2010, 06:32 PM
^ How about:

Ugly!

Shadow Man
January 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
What IS it?

Isher
January 3, 2010, 06:44 PM
To date, I have heard of absolutely no one

Dissing this somewhat rare Norwegian single shot.

isher

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 3, 2010, 06:56 PM
i never heard anything bad about the m14

wishin
January 3, 2010, 07:01 PM
To date, I have heard of absolutely no one Dissing this somewhat rare Norwegian single shot.

Too hard to CCW!:rolleyes:

bjustus
January 3, 2010, 07:14 PM
Krieghoff K80 -- only complaint could be the price -- but a superb gun that will last a lifetime and millions of rounds.

9mmepiphany
January 3, 2010, 07:38 PM

it was the rifle that America used to force to 7.62x51mm round on NATO after WW II which kept them from developing a true intermediate cartridge which NATO was demanding.

it has the shortest general issue life of any US military rifle and was quickly taken out of surface...well quick for the military...during the next conflict after it's introduction

Officers'Wife
January 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
If God and John Browning together designed a weapon and Saint Micheal manufactured it there would still be someone, somewhere would have a problem with it.

Look at it this way, there is no such thing as a one size fits all. The plinker wanting to fire hundreds of rounds in an afternoon would hate the 30-06 for it's cost and recoil. The deer hunter would hate the .22 rimfire for it's lack of bullet weight. The 'wheel gun' lover has little use for the 1911 and the Browning disciple has use none for the Glock.

But you can pretty well bet the farm that if there were an intruder at 2 in the morning any objections would disappear for the weapon at hand.

FROGO207
January 3, 2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah right :rolleyes: you are asking an impossible question. When it comes to opinions everyone has a different one.:scrutiny: Should have asked what firearm you thought was best/most reliable. Might get some to agree on the same one more often.:D

atblis
January 3, 2010, 08:45 PM
Swedish Mauser is the only one I can never recall anybody saying anything bad about.

RobMoore
January 3, 2010, 08:50 PM
Of the M14

it has the shortest general issue life of any US military rifle and was quickly taken out of surface [sic]...well quick for the military...during the next conflict after it's introduction

Its short service life is less of a remark about the gun, and more of a remark about our "military" leadership at the time.

Officers'Wife
January 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
it has the shortest general issue life of any US military rifle and was quickly taken out of surface

I was under the impression the M14 lasted longer in general issue than the 30-40 Kreg. But I've been wrong before.

wishin
January 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'll bet I could find somebody that would say:

It's too heavy; or it kicks too much!:neener:

Jonah71
January 3, 2010, 10:35 PM
My old single shot bolt action Stevens .22. If anything bad can be said about that little rifle, it would only be by someone who never fired one. Or did any hunting with it as a youngster.

Officers'Wife
January 3, 2010, 10:51 PM
Out of respect for my Dad I have to quote Kipling here.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-young-british-soldier/

Take special note to the tenth stanza:

"When 'arf of your bullets fly wide in the ditch,
Don't call your Martini a cross-eyed old bitch;
She's human as you are -- you treat her as sich,
An' she'll fight for the young British soldier.
Fight, fight, fight for the soldier . . ."

Ragnar Danneskjold
January 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
My old single shot bolt action Stevens .22. If anything bad can be said about that little rifle, it would only be by someone who never fired one. Or did any hunting with it as a youngster.

I hate old guns/guns with wood furniture. Oh well.

Isher
January 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ragnar -

Another derelict item from the firearm highway.

Three generations, going on four in another 3-4 years.

isher

9mmepiphany
January 4, 2010, 12:36 AM
Its short service life is less of a remark about the gun, and more of a remark about our "military" leadership at the time.

that was rather my point...they picked the wrong rifle and cartridge, for the time, in the first place. the Russians got it right with a rifle used around the world even to this day...imagine if it had been made with quality engineering as was the Valmet, Galil or Sig 552

Isher
January 4, 2010, 12:36 AM
Officers' Wife -

Grew up on Kipling.......

The Complete Stalky & Co. was my

Operational manual as a youth.

Enjoy, if you haven't already:

http://www.stalky.com/index.html

isher

otcconan
February 20, 2010, 01:36 PM
This one is easy peasy.

Seriously. Has anyone ever said a bad thing about a Remington 870?

Also: Browning Hi Power.

otcconan
February 20, 2010, 01:38 PM
Too heavy.

There. Now you have.

RobMoore
February 20, 2010, 01:42 PM
Has anyone ever said a bad thing about a Remington 870?

Nothing I can think of that wouldn't apply to other tube-fed pump actions as well.

(edit, since someone mentioned the safety below....I didn't think of that. It does suck. Although much like the safety on my AK47, it never gets used).

otcconan
February 20, 2010, 01:44 PM
Well at least I feel better, thats a deep dark secret of mine, I don't shoot it because I fear I would never be able to get it back together again. (MK III 22/45)

+1 for the model 10, oh wait I was the one that said it to begin with...:D

They are a bitch to take apart, much less reassemble.

otcconan
February 20, 2010, 01:53 PM
Do people complain much about FAL's? I dont yet own, one, but the ones I have handled are their owners favorite's usually.

For those who have had the opportunity to fire them, I have heard zero complaints about the BAR, and the H&K MP5/10.
Too heavy and climbs all over the place on full-auto. Good battle rifle, but there are complaints. Most countries using it switched to the AUG as soon as it was available.

9mmepiphany
February 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
posted by otcconan
This one is easy peasy.

sure...the 870's safety is not as ergo friendly as the Mossberg 500/590 or even the FN SLP, it has kept pace with developments and has abducated that role to the aftermarket like Colt did with the 1911

the Hi-Power's slide it too light be heavy use, the thumb safety is too diminutive and the magazine safety make the trigger pull horrendous

chieftain
February 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
This one is easy peasy.

It is the only shotgun I saw fail in combat. The 870 used to have a proclivity to double shuck shells.

They split the lifter at one time and sold it as a feature. “You can now get you knife blade in there to clear the double feed jam. In the New Remington 870.” Would not want to talk bad about that now would we?

Yup, great gun. In Vietnam it was one of the shotguns that were avoided by name and model. The earlier Remington’s were fine. The 870 Like the M16 got folks hurt and dead. Particularly because a shotgun in those days wasn‘t used for breaching. Normally, by the time you are using it, they are up close and personal. Usually you were in the act of being over run. Not a good time for your weapon to head south. It was a real bitch to clear too. (that’s why the split follower was sold as a feature)

I came to prefer the Ithica’s and the early model 12 Winchesters. Personally I never got in a fight while carrying one of the shotguns. I did not carry one very often. More than one Remington 870 got “disappeared”, in my two tours in WestPac.

So like that Black Plastic POS I don’t trust the 870 either. That is at a very basic primal level. And it is emotional. Once again, when the gun gets friends hurt and dead, it effects you. Particularly when those specific and very personal deaths were avoidable. My personal Mossy 590’s ain’t ever failed.

Most of the folks that didn’t like the Hipower were the 45acp only crowd, over the years.

the Hi-Power's slide it too light be heavy use, the thumb safety is too diminutive and the magazine safety make the trigger pull horrendous

AS the most deployed/used military sidearm in the world, for a very long time, the Hipower doesn’t have to prove it’s chops to anyone. There ain’t a damned thing wrong with it’s slide. It has been proven over and over and over again to be a reliable, accurate, effective military sidearm.

When I was attached to the 42 Commando, Royal Marines, in Malta almost 40 years ago, they were carrying the Hipower or P35 as they called it, and were very happy with it. I did talk with them about it, as I was carrying a 1911 of course. (Note: Both designed by St Browning and the more controversial Hipower the engineering and designing was finished up by the “other guy”.) I found none that would rather be carrying the 1911.

Most notably the British SAS in the last ten years gave up their Hipowers for the SIG 228. (funny the 228’s daddy is carried by the SEAL’s [226]who now carry a bunch of 228’s now too, since the SIG 228 entered the system as the M11)

Many folks who put that new fangled 40 S&W (for short & weak, I think) may have problems, but then so have many gun manufacturers who have tried to make a 9mm hand gun work in 40.

Look at the problems the Glock 23 and 22 are having. Many agencies are leaving Glock and finding S&W (S&W’s M&P may have been the first major production pistol DESIGNED from scratch to be a 40. In fact the only FTF type problems I am aware of were with the 9mm versions.) , SIG, HK, etc…

Rule three of selecting a fighting gun for yourself. Choose it in the caliber it was designed for. With very few exceptions that weapon will be intrinsically more reliable in that design specified caliber rather than any other.

That is not withstanding that the 9mm is the most reliable of the semi auto major fighting calibers. (with apologies to the 357SIG). It has something none of the others possess, a tapered case.
One of the reasons it is every ones submachine gun caliber. With just enough exceptions to prove the rule.

No there ain’t a damn thing wrong with the Hipower in 9mm. As St Browning & Co. designed it. If you think the 40 makes a difference, get a S&W M&P. (at least SIG reengineered all their guns to handle the 40.)

Go figure.

Fred

jnyork
February 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
Pre-safety Marlin 39a. Must be good, prices continue to soar. :(

9mmepiphany
February 20, 2010, 04:15 PM
There ain’t a damned thing wrong with it’s slide. It has been proven over and over and over again to be a reliable, accurate, effective military sidearm.

since the sidearm is never a primary weapon in the military, i don't think it says a lot about it's reliability.

there is a reason the P35 was droped by the SAS and the FBI HRT...it didn't hold up to training

the real test, for hard use, is competition. when the South African and Rhodesian IPSC teams won the World Championships with the P35, competitors looked very hard at the benefits of the P35 and asked the team members about it's abilities. their answer was. "it was all we had available...they barely last a season and need constant work"

a spoke to a USPSA Grand Master who was also a well known gunsmith about building me a hard use P35...like the FBI HRT pistols...and he advised against it as the slide was too light and moved too fast to hold up, because it was designs as a military sidearm. the P35s which have been strengthened for the .40 actually hold up better

lions
February 20, 2010, 07:18 PM
The only gun that nobody has anything bad to say about is one that hasn't been invented yet. And when it is, you won't have to wait until the day is out, no matter what.

jimmyraythomason
February 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
I've never heard anything bad said about a Browning High Power I've complained about BHP on here a couple of times.

goldie
February 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Colt python,Colt Sauer,older Sako rifles,kimber rifles,Cooper & Dakota rifles,HK psg-1,Sig 550,& english & european drillings & doubles like heym,H & H,Sauer.Dont ever remember seeing anything bad about the performance or quality of any of these,but i;m sure some fartknocker will have an issue with one of them.If these guns listed(among others) cant satisfy you, then another hobby is in order.......

RumRunner
February 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
1911, 870, Ak47, G3, USP

stuckinsocal
February 21, 2010, 02:17 AM
Ar-15?

There are enough different models out there that people can pretty much make it whatever way they want....

Full Metal Jacket
February 21, 2010, 02:21 AM
kimber? :eek:

federalfarmer
February 21, 2010, 09:33 PM
10/22 ?! It's Grrreatt! ( Tony the Tiger)

Avtomat Kalashnikova
February 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
kimber?

The slide release was so stiff it made my thumb sore after only a few times :D:evil:

10/22 ?

it doesn't shoot groups, it shoots patterns :neener: jk, lol

Black Butte
February 21, 2010, 09:53 PM
Can't say nothin' bad about Hi-Point, right?

*an avalanche of criticism ensues* he, he.

lopezni
February 21, 2010, 10:46 PM
Pre war M70. Double dare ya.

The barrels were junk.

as far as a rifle no one can complain about, I would say the CZ 452 american.

John Wayne
February 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Large rocks. Those damn pointy sticks break too easily.

9mmepiphany
February 22, 2010, 01:08 AM
as far as a rifle no one can complain about, I would say the CZ 452 american.

i will say i have no complaints about my CZ 452 American, except it makes my Anschutz 1412 look over priced...that's not really a complaint, the Anschutz was a boyhood dream i was finally able to realize

yongxingfreesty
February 22, 2010, 01:09 AM
glock...........

earthworm
February 22, 2010, 03:22 AM
Everybody has an Uncle Charlie who was a Marine sniper in (fill in conflict of choice).I say this because no matter what type/brand/caliber/ammo you shoot half the people you talk to will tell you about their Uncle Charlie who had one & couldn't hit the side of a barn if he was in the barn while the other halfs U.C. would consistantly hit hummingbirds on the wing at 50 yards with his.

Avtomat Kalashnikova
February 22, 2010, 03:33 PM
1911, 870, Ak47, G3, USP

1911s are big and heavy with low capacity, 870s lock up with cheap ammo if the chamber isn't polished, AKs have a terrible fit and finish that is almost as bad as their accuracy and rusty steel mags, G3s are overpriced cetme ripoffs that shoot almost as bad as AKs for 4 times the price and finally USPs are overpriced pieces of crap for the HK fanboys. im just kidding of course :neener:

chieftain
February 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
I guess the answer is:

THERE IS NO ONE GUN FOR EVERYONE OR EVERY NEED.

EVERY GUN IS A COMPROMISE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL OR THE MISSION.

Go figure.

Fred

Prion
February 22, 2010, 06:17 PM

Newer 700 actions aren't machined to very exacting standards. My EGW one piece scope base needed a bedding job because it wasn't flush. Base mount problem? Don't think so, it is a common issue.

leadcounsel
February 22, 2010, 07:34 PM
M1A. Perfect rifle, especially the Scout model. WOW.

expensivehobbies
February 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
Well, here goes the first post! Howdah Pistols. Just try to hate those.

bikerdoc
February 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
And a first post with style and humor it was.

Welcome expensivehobbies

If you enjoyed reading about "Is There ANY Gun That Nobody has Anything Bad to Say About ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!