In what kind of environment do you live?

PDA

ChronoCube
June 29, 2009, 02:42 AM
In a lot of self-defense discussions here, it seems like people talk about the weapon being used but often don't immediately mention their setting -- urban, suburban, or rural. That affects your self-defense scenario quite a bit. I'm curious as to where people on this forum live.

If you enjoyed reading about "In what kind of environment do you live?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
June 29, 2009, 02:43 AM
I live in a nice suburb of a very large urban area.

kyo
June 29, 2009, 02:47 AM
I am in a giant cluster ____ of cities near the Atlanta area.

TheFallGuy
June 29, 2009, 02:50 AM
I live 10 miles from anywhere. Literally, the nearest town is 10 miles away. I live in south east Minnesota. It is a small hobby farm with 1 dog (border collie), a horse (a shire), 4 cats (soup), and lots of rabbits (new zealand), and 5 chickens. I am surrounded on 3 sides by corn fields with alfalfa on the fourth side. I consider it to be country. My neighbors are pretty much all Amish and live at least 2 miles away. It's quiet. We get one or two cars on our road a day. One of those cars is the mail man. Lots of good hunting and fishing near by. It is a survivalist's wet dream come true.

It is pretty wide open so a rifle is a man's best friend.

riceboy72
June 29, 2009, 02:59 AM
I live in Pierce County, Washington, in a vastly suburban area. There is quite a bit of rural real estate, but my house and the areas I frequent tend to be in the suburbs.

armoredman
June 29, 2009, 03:04 AM
small town

Valkman
June 29, 2009, 03:08 AM
Rural, small town. The center of town (where Wal-Mart is) is 10 or 12 miles away.

ChronoCube
June 29, 2009, 03:33 AM
Oh yeah, I haven't answered my own question. I live in the urban outskirts of Dallas. I may move northward into the suburbs at some point.

Kind of Blued
June 29, 2009, 03:46 AM
Cookie-cutter 'burbs. Not my idea. :)

Oyeboten
June 29, 2009, 04:00 AM
Downtown Las Vegas...edge of the so-called 'Naked City' area.

Inner City...

Ruodo
June 29, 2009, 05:16 AM
Rural small town here. I live on a small highway like road.

Prince Yamato
June 29, 2009, 05:18 AM
Well, I said, "suburban" but I'm like a 10 minute hop from downtown Austin.

loop
June 29, 2009, 05:21 AM
Far enough from town that we can shoot in the backyard...

Mr.510
June 29, 2009, 05:57 AM
I voted both "Urban" and "Rural":

I work four days a week in Everett and stay three or four nights a week in Seattle. Both locations and everything in between are pretty much city. :barf:

I spend the rest of my time in Belfair, overlooking Hood Canal. Our acreage backs up to a State Forest and is about ten miles from town. The nearest neighbor's house is about 200 yards away, through dense forest, and cannot be seen or heard. I consider the house in Belfair to be "home". :D

CajunBass
June 29, 2009, 07:09 AM
I would guess I'm sort of between suburbian and rural. We're far enough out to be able to walk out back and hunt, but it's not too far from some suburbs. Takes about 10-15 minutes to get to town.

Cross the river, now and you're in pretty much rural. I can't even see a light over there at night in the dead of winter. No idea how far it is to the next house that way.

JohnBT
June 29, 2009, 10:12 AM
Urban. Not my house, but it is my neighborhood.

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/23427228.jpg

christcorp
June 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
I've lived in too many different places. Between childhood, civilian work, and military service; I've seen them all. Born and raised in the New York City/Newark/Jersey City areas. About as urban as possible. Have also lived in medium/large cities like Austin, Albuquerque, San Antonio. Lived in small cities like Cheyenne, Ft Collins, etc... And smaller spot cities/towns like Biloxi, Buford, etc... I've also lived in cities such as London, Amsterdam, Madrid, and Guayaquil.

The only reason I bring this up is because with this being a gun forum, and the subject of crime and self defense being discussed; I believe it is a mis-belief that the larger urban areas are the most dangerous to live; and thereby need the most self defense protection. I would strongly disagree. Albuquerque in my opinion is much more dangerous to personal safety than New York City or Philly. The biloxi and New Orleans area seemed much more dangerous for property and personal crime than Austin or Denver seemed. Yet, Cheyenne, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs seem much safer than many smaller towns/cities.

I believe that the culture of the city (Past and present); economics; and climate have more to do with crime than anything else; including size. Because of colder climates in Wyoming, Colorado, etc... there are a lot less transients. As such, there's a lot of crime that isn't as common. Western/Mountain states tend to usually have a much lower unemployment rate. As such, there's a lot less crime because of economic necessity. And the culture is very PRO-GUN; family oriented; low social-service/government support; etc... As such, citizens help each other out through family/church/charity; and have no problem shooting those who try and "TAKE" from others. The higher the unemployment; the more government services (Welfare); the more transients/homeless; and the more illegal immigrants; the more crime. Fix 3 of the 4 and crime will be reduced.

CoRoMo
June 29, 2009, 10:35 AM
Suburbanishly-Rural.

freakshow10mm
June 29, 2009, 10:42 AM
Small village (2,000 population, 3 cops) in rural Upper Michigan. The county north of me is listed with the BLM as a "frontier". Seventy-five percent of vehicles in the fall have at least one item of blaze orange clothing inside. It's estimated that at least 80% of households in the area have at least one firearm. That's how we roll.

Doggy Daddy
June 29, 2009, 10:45 AM
Downtown Las Vegas...edge of the so-called 'Naked City' area.

Ah yes. When I first moved here from Columbus, Ohio I lived in the Naked City between Cleveland and Cincinnati Aves. :eek:

Now I'm about 5 1/2 miles west of you. Stay safe!

DD

Mohawk
June 29, 2009, 11:54 AM
Down the road a peice from John McCain. Not much violent crime to speak of. Biggest problem is the black Helocopters scaring the cattle. Great place for target shooting, hunting and open carry.

SP Shop Foreman
June 29, 2009, 01:16 PM
NW mountains of Montana, nearest town 15 miles away, population 85.
500 yards to the county road across the pasture, backed by forest service acreage.

WoofersInc
June 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
My address says Las Vegas. However I'm at the fringes of town. Go another mile and a half from me and its back to open desert.

SuperNaut
June 29, 2009, 01:25 PM
I live in an odd pocket of SLC. At a glance we look suburban, but there is an equestrian park with an attached ranch a 1/2 block away, a dairy that delivers, many neighbors have chickens, and we all irrigate our gardens often. We are a bunch of ex-rural folks that live in the middle of the suburbs. Unfortunately some of the large parcels are falling to the monster home developers and I fear that our little pocket has a short life-span. :(

Vern Humphrey
June 29, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm about 13 miles by road from the nearest town. You know the saying, "You might be redneck if the directions to your house include 'turn off the paved road?'" The directions to my house are, "Turn off the paved road, drive 3.6 miles and turn off the county road, go 0.6 miles and turn off the common road, go a quarter of a mile, get out of the car and keep your hands in sight until signaled to come in."

I live on 185 acres of mostly woodlands with a small pasture for my horses and donkeys. Most people when they visit for the first time say, "How did you ever find this place?"

theotherwaldo
June 29, 2009, 01:31 PM
I live in an ex-trailer-park mini-town built on an old Spanish land grant, ten miles (more or less) from Mexico. The south side is run by Mexican gangs, the north side is working class and retirees. Lots of truck theft, B&E, and an increasing number of drug-related kidnappings. Smuggling is a way of life for many in the area.

The land is cheap, but there's a reason... .

sneedb82
June 29, 2009, 01:49 PM
Used to live in an urban area, moved to a rural community. 3-4 miles from town (500 ppl), but 10 miles or so from town (6000 people). Largest city is 65 miles east, west, and 72 miles south, all three with average populations over 40,000 people. Next largest is 150 or so miles north with 200,000 people. Mostly rural areas in West Texas and Northern Rolling Plains. Tactical situations present themselves with a long range rifle :)

catspa
June 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
Vern, you're for sure a redneck if the directions to your house in winter include, "Pull off at the wide spot and lock the hubs..." or "Walk up to the barn and fire up the tractor (don't forget to bring a chain)..."

Rural. Several acres, 3 miles from a little town with one stop sign (that doesn't get used a lot), 25 miles to a town of 15,000 or so, 100 miles from Seattle.

I think CC has a good point about the culture of an area. Mostly blue-collar and retired folks around here, scattered on 5-10 acre pieces of forest within about 2 miles of a minor highway, commercial and public forest land beyond that. Building up slowly, but still enough elbow room to shoot off the porch or do some blacksmithing first thing in the morning without bothering the neighbors. Fishing, hunting, and not enough crime to get in your way, usually.

Parker

Nice knives, Valkman - I especially like the ones with burl wood handles. Are they stabilized?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
Does living underground with the mole people qualify as "other"?

The directions to my house are, "Turn off the paved road, drive 3.6 miles and turn off the county road, go 0.6 miles and turn off the common road, go a quarter of a mile, get out of the car and keep your hands in sight until signaled to come in."

I live on 185 acres of mostly woodlands with a small pasture for my horses and donkeys. Most people when they visit for the first time say, "How did you ever find this place?"

That's just aweseome! :)

bababooey32
June 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
Suburbia. Nice gated community with a golf course. Couldn't be more stereotypical. But we like it. :)

Vern Humphrey
June 29, 2009, 02:09 PM
I bought this place (160 acres -- I added a bit later) when I came home from my second tour in Viet Nam. We used to go out and camp by the creek -- my daughters caught their first fish in the hole that the house now overlooks.

When I built the house, being an old Arkansawyer and remembering ice storms, power outages, and so on, I included a fully-finished basement with a wood stove. That's our survival space. In the last 12 month period (5 February 2008 to 27 January 2009) a series of natural disasters (tornado, blizzard, 100 year flood, Hurricane Ike and the Mother of All Ice Storms) resulted in us spending 31 days in the basement, using the stove for heat and Coleman lanterns for light.

Deltaboy
June 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
30,000 person town I live on the south edge with 70 acres behind me owned by my neighbor with Cows on it. 1 hour south of Fort Worth.

LeverGunJunkie
June 29, 2009, 02:32 PM
Live in a nice suburban area on the south side of the A-T-L.

SSN Vet
June 29, 2009, 04:31 PM
1. not being able to see any of your neighbors houses
2. living off a 900 ft. private road (at least until snow plow season comes).... especially when that road tees off of a sleepy little side street.
3. Letting the pooch run free with your greatest worry that he'll go tramping in the frog pond again.
4. Telling the kids to get outside and don't let me see you again until supper and having your only wiry be that they borrow momma's Tupperware to make caterpillar "habitats"
5. still having emergency services within a 5 min response
6. having tax free shopping at big box grocery an retail all within' 8 miles
7. Ocean beaches 12 miles away.
8. Mountains 2 hours away.
9. big city for ball games and shows just 1.3 hours away.
10. 7-1/2 acres to putter on ... with enough timber to heat the house for years.
11. Rod'n Gun club 3 miles down the road.
12. kids school 1 mile in the other direction.
13. UPS guy always brings treats for the pooch
14. Cat's have plenty of mice to chase and have managed to evade the foxes for some years
15. Mail carrier brings packages up to the house
16. bank branch manager opens the door for my wife, is on first name basis, knows our financial affairs intimately and watches out for me with timely tips....
17. code enforcement is reasonable and the zoning and building codes are 1/4" thick pamphlets.
18. volunteer fire department that takes pride in knowing their affairs.
19. shall issue state (see my sig line for state constitutions speak)
20. chief of police is an honorable and able man whom I respect.

Rural.... but not to rural :)

small town USA is a great place to live

now if we can just keep it a secret and convince all the Massachusetts liberals to stay home, life will continue to be great.

Oops! to late

Wayne02
June 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
I live in a Suburban. Tried a Tahoe but it was too small. In this environment long barrel firearms are difficult to manipulate at best.

KarenTOC
June 29, 2009, 04:55 PM
JohnBD - is that Monument Avenue? My neice used to live right on the park (Maymont? Mayfair? been awhile...) and I would always take a drive down Monument when I visited, just to check out all the houses I'd love to live in :)

I'm urban. I live on the 15th floor of a condo located in Alexandria just outside DC but "inside the beltway." Needless to say, I can't walk out onto my back yard and plink. However, on a nice day, when my windows are open, I can hear the gunshots from the outdoor police range that's not too far away. Vicarious target practice is better than nothing :D

I tried inserting a picture of my condo... can't tell if it worked.

springmom
June 29, 2009, 06:04 PM
Suburb of Houston. Unless we're at the ranch, and then it's rural.

Jan

EdLaver
June 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Suburbs now, used to be rural, wish I could go back:(

Truthseeker
June 29, 2009, 06:16 PM
Dead center the Hampton Roads metro area. 1.5 million.

rogertc1
June 29, 2009, 06:22 PM
Small town (5000) Suburbanishly-Rural. Corn fields behind me. 2 AM you can go in the back yard and all you hear is the highway traffic some 6 miles away and can even hear cattle moo. I can still pee in the back yard as no one around to see me. Quiet. Low to no crime. Have had my CCW for over 37 years because I could. Seldom to never carry. Why?

If I could live my life again I'd go rural.

ozarkhillbilly
June 30, 2009, 12:04 AM
Vern

What is the the nearest town to you? Or I guess the question is what part of the Ozarks?

Gamera
June 30, 2009, 12:25 AM
Small-town-ish

mljdeckard
June 30, 2009, 12:26 AM
It is my eventual goal to move back out to the southern Utah desert where I can build Fort Deckard out in the sagebrush, where I can shoot clay birds off my back deck all day long and not get into trouble.

Foofles
June 30, 2009, 12:33 AM
I live in the most urban, urban place you can possibly imagine.

almostfree
June 30, 2009, 12:42 AM
Outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. Suburban I guess?

ChCx2744
June 30, 2009, 12:44 AM
Urban-Suburban...A bit more Urban though, because I'm close to the metro-city area...

denfoote
June 30, 2009, 12:50 AM
Buckeye AZ.

A nice farming community in southeastern Maricopa County (home of Sheriff Joe).

JohnBT
June 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
" is that Monument Avenue? My neice used to live right on the park.

I think that's Boulevard, a few blocks from Monument. Odds are she lived near Byrd park, but Maymont is just around the road on the river. If there was a lake with a fountain in it, then it was Byrd.

If it was 100 acres with a mansion and a zoo, then it was Maymont. One heck of a city park.

BigGuy52
June 30, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm 45 miles Northwest of Chicago. I live in what was once a small town, originally population was just 1,000 people, but now has grown to 8,000.

The Burbs are ever-growing out here, seems like people are trying to escape the City. Funny thing is that where I live right now, with houses all around, I used to hunt pheasent here as a young man. Of course that was three decades ago. Now, I must drive thirty miles West to be out in the so-called Boonies, just farm fields.

ronto
June 30, 2009, 06:32 PM
22 miles of nothing between me and what can be called a town.

Redneck with a 40
June 30, 2009, 11:04 PM
I'm rural, 22 miles from the nearest small town, 7500 people, they have a Wal-Mart, Safeway, ect, most of the necessities. I'm 45 miles from the nearest big city, 500,000 people, I hate it when I have to go down there, can't wait to get back home.:D I've got a 10 minute drive to nice little shooting hole on Forest Service land.:D

I'm in the Front Range of Colorado, 45 miles west of Colorado Springs, love it out here!:)

Foofles
June 30, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've never seen a Wal Mart in my entire life...

Eightball
July 1, 2009, 01:32 AM
Live suburban, work urban, go to school WAY rural.

Depends on what time of day/what day you ask me.

AirplaneDoc
July 1, 2009, 01:47 AM

Thats Awesome

ChronoCube
July 1, 2009, 02:56 AM

Thats Awesome

Depends on why. If you live in the middle of nowhere, then yeah that is awesome.

On the other hand, the first time I remember seeing a Walmart was when I was 22. That's what I got for growing up in overpriced, anti-development San Jose.

rogertc1
July 1, 2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/195098/new_york_city_says_no_to_walmart_store.html?cat=9

DAdams
July 1, 2009, 11:02 AM
We live in a retirement community in the "country". All our BG are lightweights so all we need are 22s,
.410s and .380s. :rolleyes:

Pussywillow
July 1, 2009, 11:35 AM
Suburban - South King County. Surrounded by -semi-urban areas. (Of course I grew up in Seattle so I don't really consider areas like Federal Way or Kent as fully "urban".)

loneviking
July 1, 2009, 11:37 AM
Rural, small town. Live on 5 acres in a little valley along a river with scads of wildlife of all kinds. Desert and mountains all around, 200 yards to BLM land for shooting and all sorts of other fun.

Foofles
July 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thats Awesome
Depends on why. If you live in the middle of nowhere, then yeah that is awesome.

On the other hand, the first time I remember seeing a Walmart was when I was 22. That's what I got for growing up in overpriced, anti-development San Jose.

Heh, I live in NYC... no Wal Mart here, for better or worse.

LeonCarr
July 1, 2009, 12:09 PM
In the suburbs of the DFW Metroplex (aka Metromess at times) and want to move back to a town where the main focal point is the Dairy Queen :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Maverick223
July 1, 2009, 01:26 PM
I live in a rural area at the moment...no plans to move...but both Charlotte and the town of Huntersville are closing in on me. Luckily I have a little more than 20acres on one side of the road and about 5 on the house side and are neighbored by high tension power lines on one side (my "shooting range"). :)

bhk
July 1, 2009, 01:29 PM
On 18 acres of rough wooded land, surrounded mostly by larger landowners. Our gravel drive is a windy/hilly thing almost 1/4 mile long to a rural blacktop. I am 3.5 miles to a small town with no traffic signals (other than a flashing red at what is called the 'four-way'). We are about 30 miles from a town big enough to have a Walmart and an hour away from a major city.

I hunt on my own place and have a range with a shooting bench. I often, though, just shoot into a bullet trap from the patio. We heat with wood. I love quail, deer, and coyote hunting. My buddy and I hunt quail on about 15 farms and deer on a half dozen close farms. Almost everybody wants me to coyote hunt on their farms - no access problems there.

mcdonl
July 1, 2009, 01:48 PM
I would rather shop at walmart and shoot in my backyard, and OC or CCW carry then live in a place where you have to register your guns.

But, I love visiting the city.

Ky Larry
July 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
I live on a suburban street but my backyard faces woods that can never be developed and a horse farm. I'm 2 minutes from shopping centers and strip malls but I have deer, 'possums, coons, skunks, wild turkeys, and coyotes in my yard. Half to one and a half acre yards.

mwsfarm
July 1, 2009, 11:41 PM
60 miles to the nearest walmart on one side, 90 miles on the other side.

Mags
July 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
I live in the biggest city in New Mexico and I am not worried about gun registration of course I live in a free state. Here is a blurp from our state constitution:

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms.

FourNineFoxtrot
July 2, 2009, 12:17 AM
Urban.

Of course, there's Urban, and then there's Urban. I call what I live in "Urban Lite", same great taste, fewer people. I got neighbors above, left and right. But there's open ground behind and in front. Even a few trees and some grass. I like that. They cut down the trees at my old place. I didn't like that.

Not much use for a rifle here. Decent ground for a shotgun, though. Enough room that overpenetration isn't a prohibitive concern.

Gungle George
July 2, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm living 2 blocks east of the capitol building in Washington DC.:barf: Been here 4 years now and headed back to New Mexico end of this month. I've lived and worked all over the world and I can tell you this is where they will have to incert the enema tube for the world.

Cheers,

Gungle George

DC300a
July 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
Rural North Florida... Yes it does exsist. Up here we like to call it the "Real Florida".
300 Acres bordered by relatives property, county property, and the Suwannee River. My nearest neighbor is 1 mile away and he is a cousin.
I can drive 10 miles to the county seat but there aint much there. The towns big enough to support a Walmart or Lowes are 20 miles in any direction.
Now if we can keep the folks from moving out of over-crowded South Florida and turning us into over crowded North Florida!:uhoh:

The Annoyed Man
July 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
Suburbia.

Grapevine, Texas, which is a small to medium sized town (50K) in northeast Tarrant County, part of the DFW metroplex. We are very blessed by God to be able to live in such a nice neighborhood, and fortunate that crime stats in Grapevine are pretty low.

Our neighborhood being what it is, my home defense options are pretty much limited to pistol and/or shotgun. I do own an AR carbine that is very "handy" and usable for home defense, but I'm concerned about the possibility of over-penetration - particularly if the round exits my house and affects a neighbor. Yeah, I know, I know... ...never point your weapon at anything you're not willing to destroy, and be sure of what is beyond your target... ...I'm just not absolutely certain that, in the heat of combat, I would be 100% certain of what is beyond my target. OTH, I am fairly confident that I can hit my target within my home with my pistol and/or shotgun, and I am far less concerned about over-penetration.

This is my street. My house is to my immediate left, and is not shown in the picture.
http://www.annoyedman.com/images/fampics/MyStreet.jpg

I am looking forward to some day being able to afford a larger piece of land in a more rural environment, but that isn't possible just yet.

fireman 9731
July 2, 2009, 12:55 PM
Rural... 15 minutes from wally world but my 1/4 mile long driveway secludes me from my very few neighbors.

DeepSouth
July 2, 2009, 12:58 PM
Far enough from town that we can shoot in the backyard..

I'm in that neighborhood to:D

chuckusaret
July 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
Small southern town, land area 2.5 square miles, 8,800 residents. We have one major problem. The residents of the city that boarders us on the south are responsible for 85% of all the crimes that are committed in my town. Since Florida adopted the Castle Law we have seen a major decrease in crime but the majority is still committed by non residents.

Dazen
July 2, 2009, 03:18 PM
Rural , out in the middle of West Texas. I like it out here, everyone minds their own business.

paintballdude902
July 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
sub rural i guess

i live in a town of about 30k i think the county is only 100k but i spend probably 60% of my time at our farm 20 mins from town

if you spend 10-15 mins driving from here you are in the boonies i wouldnt have it anyother way

i love the fact that im in a small town , not alot of traffic, and i can pack the truck up with my gear, and be in my deer stand in less than an hour including walking time

when i get outa college my plan is the opposite i wanna be 20 mins from town on my own hunk of land that i can do what i want on

hobgob
July 2, 2009, 03:47 PM
In the burbs!

goatboy66
January 21, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'm in an urban suburb (yeah, I know) of Seattle.

Any other Washingtonians know of any good, safe, legal shooting areas in/around King County?

I'd like to take the kids out plinkin' like Grampa used to take me.

smallbore
January 21, 2010, 07:51 AM
'In the sticks' . .Log cabin, a few wooded acres, dirt road, can't see neighboring homes, lots of good places to fish/hunt. Work in the city.

wishin
January 21, 2010, 09:30 AM
Lived in the Atlanta 'burbs until a couple of years ago. Now live in middle Georgia, thank goodness!

Aran
January 21, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm in the heart of Pittsburgh.

Manco
January 21, 2010, 09:47 AM
I live in a suburban area, albeit not far from decidedly urban areas. Regarding firearms and home defense, fortunately my entire neighborhood is terraced on multiple levels so I could safely shoot in virtually any direction without fear of harming my neighbors.

boatme99
January 21, 2010, 09:51 AM
Like Valk and others here, I live about 10 mi. from "downtown". Downtown = Wally World, McDeath's, Wobble House, etc. Pretty much like the rest of rural US, downtown is nothing more than antique stores, video rentals, and mini marts. :barf:
The good part-there three good gun shops in town! :cool:

Jonah71
January 21, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm in a small Mo. town about 20 miles from Whiteman AFB. Very quiet here. Mo. Dept. of Conservation shooting range about 20 miles in the other direction. As a preacher I'm called on to visit people Kansas City hospitals frequently. That's when I'm glad to have my CCW. With few exceptions, it seems that hospitals are located in high crime areas. But I carry at all times, even in my small town. We have a large Amish population....and ya never know when they might initiate a dangerous crime wave.

CoRoMo
January 21, 2010, 09:57 AM
Suburbanishly-Rural.

I crack myself up!:neener:

Mikil
January 21, 2010, 10:43 AM
In a rural area 20 miles south of Wichita KS.Does anyone know of a range in my area that is more than 200 yards? Small arms I can shoot at home but anything bigger I would like to find a place to go. I would be able to pay or join A club if available. Mike

RETG
January 21, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm southeast of Moab UT. Look it up on google earth. Four miles northwest into Moab, four miles southwest, southast, east, or west and I'm in the middle of nowhere; primarily BLM land or National Forest.:D

Ronsch
January 21, 2010, 05:20 PM
In a town of 30,000 people, but on the Southeast Panhandle of Alaska. 4 days ferry ride from Bellingham and a drive/ferry ride to Canada, or 2 and 1/2 airmiles from Seattle.

ozarkgunner
January 21, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'm in an outlying neighborhood of a small town/city outside of Springfield, MO. My neighborhood is outside the city limits, you have to pass thru a few other neighborhoods to get to mine. Our street is a loop with one way out. Surounded by pastures and fields.

Erik M
January 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
i live near the highest mountain in the state of Kentucky. Small worn-out coal towns dot the county. Its the kind of place where you would catch heck for digging up an old thread :D

Stophel
January 21, 2010, 06:10 PM
I picked "rural", but it's very quickly becoming "suburban". Dammit. I havent' heard a whippoorwill in ten years... Can't hardly see the stars at night anymore.

Gungnir
January 21, 2010, 07:49 PM
Other beyond rural:
Alaskan Bush in the YK territory, 150 miles west of Fairbanks our nearest town, has a population of 72, and is about 20 miles away. Total population in nearest 400 Sq mi about 90, nearest neighbor is about 4 miles away, living on property that I had to cut a 3/4 mile track for my truck from the nearest road.

No Grid power, water/sewage, no telecoms or cable. Water comes from our well we have off grid power heat with a wood stove and still have internet though through satellite.

Oh and BTW we love it.

swiftak
January 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
way out

NMGonzo
January 21, 2010, 08:48 PM
I live in a suburb in Albuquerque, close to downtown.

Home invasions are rare but not unheard of.

Odds are really low.

So I only have 1 gun .... on every room.

Rembrandt
January 21, 2010, 08:51 PM
Picked other.......two homes, one in a college town...the other is in the country.

the iron horse
January 21, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thank God I live in a rural area.

We are 12 to twenty miles from towns.

We have several hundred acres around us and all of our neighbors have
firearms.

I have lived here for over thirty years.

No crime :)

twofifty
January 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
Catspa: "...you're for sure a redneck if the directions to your house in winter include, "Pull off at the wide spot and lock the hubs..."

Nah in winter, you're for sure a redneck if, after driving 2 miles with locked hubs, you stop to chain up all four wheels.

;-)

Oh yeah, at the edge of a small town, surrounded by grizzly and brook trout.

jakemccoy
January 22, 2010, 12:32 AM
Good poll, this information should be provided whenever someone is discussing home defense. For example, most urban dwellers probably think using an AK for home defense would be borderline psychotic. However, rural dwellers on vast properties likely wouldn't see any problem with doing so. We each need to declare our chosen language before we speak.

49north
January 22, 2010, 05:22 AM
Rural...AK!

Sediment
January 22, 2010, 05:25 AM
Suburban-urban. Pretty much the bordering streets that seperate the Middle class from the Lower class neighborhood. Glad I made friends with a couple neighbors right after I moved in. Turns out most are veterans and gun owners like me. Most of the time one of us is home and keep an eye out on the other houses.

earlthegoat2
January 22, 2010, 10:27 PM
A target rich environment my brother.

My attempt at imitating Ted Nugent through typage.

If you enjoyed reading about "In what kind of environment do you live?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!