Shooting Video Games?

PDA

Aw4g63
June 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know of any good shooting video games?

I was at a bar/arcade today and saw a sport shooting type video game. The sights were on and the action was pretty fun. It made me wish there was something like this for my Xbox360 or PS3. It would keep me entertained on rainy days or late nights.

The game I played at the acrade was Sports Shooting USA and it was sponsored by STI guns. Here's a link to it, very fun!

Video of game play.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3721718100360664302

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Video Games?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gamera
June 29, 2009, 11:20 PM
Aaah what a great game, I've spent many quarters on it. I'm not sure if there's a similar game for consoles though. I imagine you would be hard pressed to find a shooter that doesn't involve foiling the plots of evil alien space nazis with laser guns.

Kind of Blued
June 29, 2009, 11:20 PM
I never really got into video games, but I did have a lot of fun with Call of Duty (2, I think).

It was fun to be able to pick up and shoot all of the different WWII small arms.
The Flakpanzer 88 wasn't bad either. :)

...and grenades.

Boba Fett
June 29, 2009, 11:34 PM
Haven't played the FPS games for a while, but when I did:

Counter Strike
Soldier of Fortune 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Half-Life (all of them)
Medal of Honor (all of them)
Unreal and Unreal Tournament (pretty much all of them)
Quake (yet again, all of them)
Probably a few others I can't recall. All on PC.

All them a lot of fun and all of them not even close to the real thing. But then the same goes for movies and I like watching them too.

Foofles
June 29, 2009, 11:40 PM
That game looks pretty cool!

I miss those light gun kind of games, my favorite is House of the Dead 2 which I have the home version of for Dreamcast, it only works on CRTs.

Boba Fett
June 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
Anyone remember Wild Gunman?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/587771_85694_front.jpg

We've come a long way from 7 pixel pistols.

Those were the days...

cchris
June 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
VGA Shooting Gallery for DOS. Loved it when I was younger, and we'd just gotten a computer (ca. 1994).

http://www.flightsim.com/arcanum/shoot.htm

Boba Fett
June 29, 2009, 11:55 PM
Ah yes, the good ol DOS days when games came on floppy disks. And I'm talking the 5 1/4 floppies, not the 3 1/2 floppies.

Makes me want to break out my old Apple IIe. Now that was 1337!

sarduy
June 29, 2009, 11:59 PM
CS:Online (not CS:Source or CS:1.6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfT4A5fql_0

CS:1.6
lol funny movie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLypE0XSv0M

Combat Arms (free)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P2j3qjsCfU

COD 4 (Call of Duty 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x890G4X61I

Birdmang
June 30, 2009, 12:01 AM
Call of Duty 4 is great online.

Call of Duty 5 is also great online.

Left 4 Dead is a great zombie/survival shooter.

COD4 Modern Warfare 2 is coming out in the fall and looks really amazing.

Foofles
June 30, 2009, 12:02 AM
Shooting gallery! I love shooting gallery! I haven't seen that game in many years...

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 12:03 AM
Call of Duty 4 has taken up way, way too much of my time. It has the advantage of having relatively realistic weapons (compared to most games anyway), which you get to customize with different optics and accessories. The Multiplayer is where I spend all my time. It has a "Hardcore" mode where it only takes 1 or 2 hits to kill you. Much better than those games where have to shoot people 8 times with an M14 to kill them.

sarduy
June 30, 2009, 12:13 AM
and this is one of my favorite ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZjxoJyI8g

starkadder
June 30, 2009, 12:28 AM
The Nentindo Wii has a really cool dangerous game hunting, game. You really have to look and listen and always be ready to fire, no Dark Overlords, Alien Hoards or Evil Princes to deal with.:)

This is this! It's not something else, it's this!

ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR MEN AND WOMEN OVER THERE.

BigGuy52
June 30, 2009, 10:40 AM
I prefer shooting games on my PS3.

My fav are, Brothers in arms, Hell's Highway: WW2 action vs Nazis.
Weapons: Allied - M1918A2 B.A.R.
M1 Garand
M1A1 Thompson
M1A1 Carbine
Colt .45 acp
M3 Grease gun
M1919A6 L.M.G. (.30-06 light machine gun)
M9 Bazooka

scrat
June 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
here you go.
http://walker47.com/w47/nickelodeon/gameparlour.htm

ezypikns
June 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
Call of Duty 4 has taken up way, way too much of my time.

I'm guilty too. Plus I really suck at the game (PC version). But it's so addictive.

While I don't think that the shooting in the game has helped my REAL shooting, I think my REAL shooting has helped my shooting in the game.

RoostRider
June 30, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have one better......

At a range near here there was a projector screen that recorded where your real gun, real bullets went. It was linked with video on the screen to record hits and score you. There were several different 'games' you could play including 'old west' shooting scenarios to attacking dogs to target/speed practice.

It was a lot of fun, but then the owner of the range went to prison for many and varied offenses and the new owners don't use it.....

I have no idea what it was called aside from 'lots of fun' from everyone who used it.

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 02:38 PM
The biggest thing playing endless multiplayer in games like COD4 has done is make me subconsciously very aware of the human shape as a target, as well as very aware of movement in windows/shapes that aren't normally present etc. It's fairly often that I'll see some movement up in a window as I'm walking down the street and my brain literally screams at me to get my rifle sights on the window as fast as possible :o
I think you have to play a LOT to get that way though... :o I should really cut back... I end up as the top player out of both teams probably 75% of the time that I play, so I guess you could say I get fairly immersed.

chris in va
June 30, 2009, 03:13 PM
It's fairly often that I'll see some movement up in a window as I'm walking down the street and my brain literally screams at me to get my rifle sights on the window as fast as possible

Yeah, time to take up another hobby for a while.

CoRoMo
June 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
I thought that video games are not on topic in any way, shape, or form here.

n00bish
June 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm a hopeless Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: World at War addict! What servers do you all play on? Lol

hso
June 30, 2009, 03:40 PM
Folks,

Can anyone tell me how video/computer games discussions are firearms related (beyond their inherent inaccuracies depicting firearms and shooting)?

CoRoMo
June 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
They are not firearms related.
They do nothing to further the RKBA.
They do nothing to provide users with the responsibility of firearms ownership.
They do nothing to enhance the skills with actual firearms.

They are fantasy worlds with fictional consequences.

Shung
June 30, 2009, 04:04 PM
When a game realistically depict firearms, to me its totally firearms related.. AS much as a movie or a book can be..

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 04:09 PM
As soon as they don't have firearms in them they won't be firearms related. They don't have to be accurate to be related. The things said by the brady bunch aren't accurate either, but that doesn't make them not relate to firearms.

Schofield3
June 30, 2009, 04:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how video/computer games discussions are firearms related

Could be used to improve firearms recognition and expand knowledge of the vast varieties of firearms that are out there :D

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 04:13 PM

See my previous post.

One could make the argument that they expose a lot of young people to firearms and at least have the potential of planting a seed that could grow into responsible firearms ownership.

Schofield3
June 30, 2009, 04:15 PM

Well! someone sure hasn't played COD4 :neener:

CoRoMo
June 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
Fictional depiction of firearms use is as much of a relation as you can argue.

Don't get me wrong. I never said I hate them, nor do I abstain from them, in fact I greatly enjoy them, but I'm not going to kid myself about the "reality" they render.

Maelstrom
June 30, 2009, 04:26 PM
There have been studies done by Col. Dave Grossman suggesting that video games have increased the accuracy of mass school shooters.

The army and several police departments also use video games as training aids (under the guise of a "simulator").

First Person Shooters actually stress accurate and useful tactics which translate to the real world (i.e. move-and-shoot, find cover while reloading, only exposing the parts of the body needed to shoot, etc.)

If you try a game such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you'll quickly learn that a rifle outpowers a pistol, stay behind cover and wait for your enemy to reload, kneeling is more accurate than standing, stay behind cover and lean out to engage, and don't stand still when you can be moving.

The next time you shoot at a paper target, remember you said this.

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 04:55 PM
First Person Shooters actually stress accurate and useful tactics which translate to the real world (i.e. move-and-shoot, find cover while reloading, only exposing the parts of the body needed to shoot, etc.)
Very true, especially if you want to be good at them, and especially when you're talking multiplayer. Playing against the computer doesn't do as much in this regard. Having 20 humans on the other team trying to outsmart you is a whole different world.

And some games come much, much closer to be accurate than others. COD4 is actually pretty good. ROF is accurate, Accuracy is accurate, Recoil is accurate, diminishing power over distance is accurate. The only thing it's missing is bullet drop. But then, at most of the in game distances that wouldn't be a factor anyway.

NoirFan
June 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
My favorite shooting games of all time are probably Max Payne 1 & 2. They are over-the-shoulder shooters with a simple point-and-click combat mechanic. The plot and setting remind me of the movie "Payback", or "Training Day". Basically a revenge-obsessed cop storyline dressed up with extremely hammy - and enjoyable - film noir dialogue.

TheFallGuy
June 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
Nothing wrong with video games at all. Give me Rainbow Six Vegas any day! The worst is Big Buck Hunter at the bars! I have probably spent an AR15's value playing that game in the last year! I want one for my living room!

KBT1911
June 30, 2009, 05:48 PM
Monolith's BLOOD from the late 1990s was the bomb! They made a Blood 2 but it wasn't as cool as the first.

hso
June 30, 2009, 06:20 PM
It's a too much of a stretch to compare a FATS training system with some FPS on a Wi. Having done both as well as having trained FOF with simunitions (where mistakes HURT) there's not much that I see in common between real training (simunition, airsoft and real simulator training) and these games.

As to getting people interested in RKBA, the gross inaccuracies of weapons depictions on most of them and the presentation of firearms use and gunfighting makes me think the opposite.

Shung
June 30, 2009, 06:28 PM
you should try ARMA or FPS like Americas Army or even Insurgency. And those aren't playied on Wii... but on PC, with some Track IR devices etc..

In all those FPS, they are no gross innacuracies of weapon depictions as you call them..

I am not saying it's like IRL, but it can teach you a lot of tactical values.

You are right about something.. We should make a USB vest that would actually HURT you with an electrical discharge when you are hit.. This would make multiplayer games much more interesting, and more realistic.. When you "fear" pain, the whole picture about combat changes..

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
It's a too much of a stretch to compare a FATS training system with some FPS on a Wi.
Well that's for sure. The Wii sucks in just about every way. We're talking about PC/PS3/Xbox360 games ;) COD4 actually has real life accessories (Aimpoint, EOTech, ACOGs etc), and all real guns which look, shoot, and reload in a very accurate way. The worst thing about the game is that supersonic rounds when shot through a suppressor are quieter than they would be in real life.

As to getting people interested in RKBA, the gross inaccuracies of weapons depictions on most of them and the presentation of firearms use and gunfighting makes me think the opposite.
I know of younger people who would have otherwise had no interest in firearms purchasing the guns they played with in real life. One kid (Well, 18ish) I used to know bought an M1 Garand from the CMP after playing a ton of Medal of Honor and COD:UO (WWII games).

Boba Fett
June 30, 2009, 06:54 PM
While I think that FPS games are a lot of fun and expose people to various firearms (some they would likely not know of otherwise), they are terribly inaccurate in so many ways.

My favorite inaccuracy is in Counter Strike: they have an AR-15 that you load a round by pulling on the forward assist instead of the charging handle :neener:

I do think FPS games make kids and/or mall ninjas think they know everything about firearms. In reality, their knowledge, beyond perhaps the names and general appearance of the firearms, is severely skewed to incorrect assumptions about how firearms operate in reality.

Shung
June 30, 2009, 06:57 PM
of course, they are FPS and FPS.. clearly, counter strike does not belong to the "realistic" ones..

As I said, if you look for realism in FPS, look for ARMA, America's Army, or Insurgency..

they are much more realistic than COD4.. COD4 has some part of realism, but lots of BS too.. (like no selectors, no ballistic drop, no wind effect etc etc)-

As for Combat flight simulators.. Don't go for Novalogic series or whatever.. Latest version of Falcon4 (Open Falcon 4.2) are VERY VERY realistic, for example.

thorazine
June 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
Call of Duty 4 is great online.

Call of Duty 5 is also great online.

They aren't bad in hardcore game play mode only.

Otherwise (non hardcore)...

I would love to meet the person that can absorb six to eight hits from an M14...

Their health regenerates in seconds...

Then they kill you with a single shot from their M9 pistol -- over a hundred yards away.

GRAYRID3R
June 30, 2009, 07:11 PM
My 12 year old Grandson can identify all of my mil surplus weapons, their ammo capacity, the .cal, apx range, and firing rate due to COD 4 and COD WAW. His interest got me playing with him online as well. I have a 1918 A3 BAR, an M1 Garand, an M1 carbine, a Thompson, An m27 Mosin, an M1A, a Colt 1911 and a C96 Broomhandle. He has played them all in fantasy land on the PC except the C96. He has helped clean and field strip them all. (along with my other non mil weapons)

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
(like no selectors, no ballistic drop, no wind effect etc etc)-
But then again, 90% of the time you're not shooting far enough for the latter two to make a difference anyway. I don't see the lack of selectors as that terrible of an omission.

Shung
June 30, 2009, 07:27 PM
But then again, 90% of the time you're not shooting far enough for the latter two to make a difference anyway

Still make 10% of the game boring (sniping and co..)

don't see the lack of selectors as that terrible of an omission.

I do, It was so simple to implement anyway.. I dont get it why they didnt.

I am not saying COD4 is a bad game. i like it actually. But it's far from being the most realistic out there.

Foofles
June 30, 2009, 07:58 PM
I figure games with firearms are about as relevant as movies with them.. *Shrug*

Some games are pretty cool when it comes to the guns and the RKBA. Some interesting lines:

Deus Ex for the PC: (In a rundown hotel, the owner asks the player for a gun for protection. The player has the choice to answer -) "I'm sorry, civilians aren't allowed to own firearms." "Tell that to the gangsters."

"Bravery is not a function of firepower."

Grand Theft Auto 4: "The new mayor has a real hardon for gun control" , "I don't know, I've seen plenty of guns since I've got here..."

ETc. :)

Since we've moved on to more modern games, how about the plethora of games that let you modify your weapons?

I doubt the vast majority of shooting games has any weight when it comes to real life shooting scenarios, however the same can apply to other fiction as well.

Phydeaux642
June 30, 2009, 08:23 PM

Did you ever watch a movie?

Sometimes discussions here can suck the fun out of everything.:scrutiny:

I haven't played many xbox games, but the closest to using "real" firearms is a game called "Black". It's a first person shooter and I liked it. These types of games are great for hand/eye coordination.

Gryffydd
June 30, 2009, 08:32 PM
I do, It was so simple to implement anyway.. I dont get it why they didnt.
Probably because it's still easy to fire one shot if you want just by clicking the mouse button once. (The exception being the M16 which is stuck at 3rd bursts).
The M14/G3 were made Semi-Auto for balance reasons...though IRL they aren't the greatest weapons to use full auto either.

As a side note, I use a programmable keyboard for my non-mouse hand. I can program a key to rapid fire the semi-auto guns. It'll empty the desert eagle in less than a second. :what: Totally useless, but it looks hilarious.The M14 is impossible to hit anything with due to the recoil, and the G3 is out of ammo in nothing flat.
I am not saying COD4 is a bad game. i like it actually. But it's far from being the most realistic out there.
True, but it finds a nice balance between fun and realism. Playing AA had having to listen to simulated fellow soldiers talk about how awesome the PX is, and what movie they're going to go watch at the on base cinema, and how awesome the military discounts are for 30 minutes is in a whole different category. Yes, it's fun. But it's a different kind of fun.

Aw4g63
June 30, 2009, 08:47 PM
Folks,

Can anyone tell me how video/computer games discussions are firearms related (beyond their inherent inaccuracies depicting firearms and shooting)?

When I first started typing this thread up I contemplated this question. As a 28 year old male, I grew up playing games with guns. Honestly, without that I would have never have been exposed to guns aside from GI Joes.

The game I posted about is actually sponsored by a gun manufacture and depicts game play just like many shooting competitions. The exposure of guns in that format greatly helps people see that killing zombies and playing mindless plot games isn't the only purpose of guns.

With that said, before you knock the realism go play modern games like Call of Duty 4 or Call of Duty World at War. The historic details are very good, the weapons are fundamentally identical and everything down to breathing takes place. There's a a sniping mission where i know for a fact that wind and drop need to be calculated in Call of Duty World at War.

That's pretty gun related to me. Besids a lot of us will never have a chance to shoot an guns like the following:

Thompson M1A1
* M1A1 Carbine
* M1 Garand
* Trench Shotgun
* Browning Automatic Rifle (B.A.R)
* Springfield M1903
* Springfield M1903: Scoped
* M2 flamethrower
* M1911 (aka Colt 45)
* Bajonet
* M9 Bazooka
* M1919A6 Browning
* M2 machinegun

Russian Weapons:

* TT-33
* Mosin Nagant
* Mosin Nagant Scoped
* PPSH (71 round Drum Magazine)
* PPSH (31 round Banana Magazine)
* Bajonet

German Weapons:

* P08 Luger
* Kar98
* Kar98 scoped
* MP44
* MP40
* MG42
* MG34
* Messer

Explosives:

* RGD-33
* MK2 Frag Grenade
* Smoke Grenade
* Satchel Charges
* Mines

Boba Fett
June 30, 2009, 08:54 PM
Honestly, without that I would have never have been exposed to guns aside from GI Joes.

YOOOO JOE!!
http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/GI_Joe/gi_joe_logo.jpg

Ahhh...nothing like growing up with great action figures, graduating to FPS on PC games, and then to the real thing.

Of course, my dad took me to the range at a young age, so I had a nice amount of exposure to the real thing...maybe that is what made the action figures and games more fun.

Aw4g63
June 30, 2009, 08:58 PM
See, I never did. Movies, games and things of the sort were the only things that got me into guns. Funny enough, I never want to hurt anyone or anything with a gun. I just really enjoy the range. Go figure!

raskolnikov_22
June 30, 2009, 09:02 PM
Call of Duty 4 is too short, but has some great missions-sniping in Russia with a .50 for instance, or infiltrating a cargo ship and wiping out the crew as they sleep hehe.

eqfan592
June 30, 2009, 09:13 PM
I was personally encouraged to get into collected mil-surp firearms due to my play of the various WW2 FPS's out there (my mosin and m1 garand are around my house because of this inspiration). Like them or not, video games are an even larger industry than movies, they reach millions of people, and they are here to stay.

RoostRider
June 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
So, what do you all think of simulations like the one I described in my post on page one?

I have one better......

At a range near here there was a projector screen that recorded where your real gun, real bullets went. It was linked with video on the screen to record hits and score you. There were several different 'games' you could play including 'old west' shooting scenarios to attacking dogs to target/speed practice.

It was a lot of fun, but then the owner of the range went to prison for many and varied offenses and the new owners don't use it.....

I have no idea what it was called aside from 'lots of fun' from everyone who used it.

In this instance you were on a live gun range, with your own handgun (no rifles or shotguns were allowed), shooting your own ammo.

I couldn't help but walk away from that experience feeling like I had learned a lot about tactical weapon use. Moving targets, shoot/no shoot situations, surprises, reloads, etc...

Foofles
June 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
That sounds really cool RR, might you have a website for the place, or where it is?

RoostRider
July 1, 2009, 12:27 AM
Something very similar to this I am sure... but the screen recorded the hits and scored it, then switched the video depending on the outcome (guy drops/returns fire/hides etc..)... the screen was also self healing to a point (it needed replacing every so often)

http://www.caps-inc.com/html/welcome.html

louie19
July 1, 2009, 03:41 AM
The Time Crisis series have provided a good take on the genre, because:
1. you use a gun with recoil
2. you've got a pedal that teaches you to get behind cover
3. you're forced to reload

Police Trainer was also a similar, more realistic game but is pretty hard to find. Time Crisis 4 can be found in a lot of arcades.

BobOfTheFuture
July 1, 2009, 08:13 AM
Just a note, the first Call Of Duty had selector switches for the weapons... you could even shoot a BAR in slow or fast auto. It was removed after, probably for multiplay balance.

CoRoMo
July 1, 2009, 09:35 AM
The next time you shoot at a paper target, remember you said this.

You're not seriously equating actual target shooting with a video game are you?!!?
Seriously?!? What part of your video games improves your accuracy, stance? Does it improve your speed reload times? Your clearing speed?

You're trying to draw parallels that can't be drawn.

Did you ever watch a movie?

Your exactly right. Those who claim that video games provide any type of real world discipline are a lot like those who complain about movie mistakes. Both are fake, fictitious, fantasy, but there will always be people who want to believe in them.

Shung
July 1, 2009, 11:41 AM
You're not seriously equating actual target shooting with a video game are you?!!?
Seriously?!? What part of your video games improves your accuracy, stance?

the parts where I train with a mildot system, evalutating distance and corrections for example..

simulations =/ RL, but can be good training support-

Gryffydd
July 1, 2009, 12:16 PM
I love how we have a bunch of guys who have never played any of the more realistic games out there trying to paint them all as Wii games, despite not knowing a thing about them. :rolleyes:

eqfan592
July 1, 2009, 12:22 PM
I was just reading up on a game called ArmA2. It's supposed to be one of the more realistic gaming experiences out there. And it does incorporate things such as bullet drop, etc., that others have complained are lacking in games. The first one was simmilar I believe. check it out :) I'm downloading the demo right now.

http://www.arma2.com/

Shung
July 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
ARMA was already good enough !

Still Too Many Choices!?
July 1, 2009, 12:42 PM
"Full Spectrum Warrior", was the army training game that made use of a four man fire team to complete your missions. Great for basic mout ideas you don't experience on the one-way range like 360 situational awarness, cover vs. concealment, degradation of cover, fixing and flanking a target, defilade fire ,and ammo consumption... Does it depict these scenarios accurately? Accurately enough so that you pay attention to these realities or you don't progress/die...

Shung
July 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
yep, but FSW was not a FPS, but more of a strategy simulation. (good stuff though)

riverrat373
July 1, 2009, 01:57 PM
I have a firearms related video game. Has anyone tried "NRA High Power Competition"? It's produced by Interactive Sports Entertainment. From the back of the CD:
A Realistic High Power, Shooting Simulation
Shoot Your Way up the Ranks to High Master
Compete at the Actual Ranges Where the Experts Shoot
Shoot in Competition-Your Grandfather's Rifle-M-1 Garand
Shoot in Competition-Your Father's Rifle-M-14 (M1A)
Shoot in Competition-The Same Rifle as the Troops in Iraq-M-16 (AR-15)

You can buy various accessories like shooting jackets, scopes, etc.
Graphics and realism are very good! I don't remember where I purchased it or know if it is still available so do a web search.

eqfan592
July 1, 2009, 04:52 PM
Here is a link to gamestops website where you can buy a copy of NRA Hight Power Competition via digital download.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=63375

It's 10 bucks, and you can find free 30 minute trial versions to download if you want to try before you buy, but it looks fun :)

Dunkelheit
July 1, 2009, 06:41 PM
If you look for sport shooting games you should checkout Remington Topshot. I play it sometimes at work :D

http://www.vpc.org/studies/vidtop.htm

CountGlockula
July 1, 2009, 11:04 PM

By the uses of imaginary guns!!!

stonecoldy
July 2, 2009, 12:47 AM
I haven't mastered the controllers well for most of the game systems but I watch when my son is playing COD 4 and 5 while I'm doing domestic duties like laundry. He does very well at both games but realizes after shooting the real McCoys there is a difference. But it has enhanced his interest in shooting, and he is willing to drop other planned pusuits for an evening at the range shooting real steel guns. Great in my mind.
I liked playing "Resident Evil, Dead Aim" on the PS 2, but it's getting harder to find functional guns to plug in. I'd love to find someone to fix a couple for me. Developing the interest in shooting should be the real issue with this discussion, not beating down video games.

Autopistola
July 2, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm partial to two games:

Tom Clancy's rainbow six: Vegas 2
The best part is the tactical/strategical gameplay that uses cover fire and teamwork. Great selection of EBR's and customizable too. It fun to play and watch, and you're often vulnerable from several angles no matter where you are at.

Far Cry 2
The best part is the beautiful environment and use of stealth/suprise. The crap will hit the fan eventually, it's just a matter of who gets seen first. Diverse weapon selection alters gameplay styles. I prefer the AK or Dragunov usually.

inSight-NEO
July 2, 2009, 01:43 AM
It's a too much of a stretch to compare a FATS training system with some FPS on a Wi. Having done both as well as having trained FOF with simunitions (where mistakes HURT) there's not much that I see in common between real training (simunition, airsoft and real simulator training) and these games.

True. But, the FATS training system probably would not find itself residing within too many living rooms. ;) And FOF training does indeed go beyond any video game. However, we are now comparing virtuality with actuality...thus, it is an apples to oranges comparison. Its also interesting that you used the phrase "real simulator training" in that any "simulation training" is essentially nothing more than make believe, but with a highly specific focus and condition set.

Here is an interesting game and a description of its genesis:

http://www.americasarmy.com/aa/about/makingof.php

Besides, if one thing can be said about various high quality "shooters," it is that they may help develop and/or maintain hand/eye coordination. This is a good thing.

Those who claim that video games provide any type of real world discipline are a lot like those who complain about movie mistakes. Both are fake, fictitious, fantasy, but there will always be people who want to believe in them.

Interesting point...However, Im guessing then that any type of "computer simulated combat" could be construed as useless, based on what you say. After all...various training "simulations" such as those used by the military and/or LE, at the very base level, are nothing more than very complex, high end video games with "artificial" consequences.

Keep in mind, I do acknowledge that there is a distinct difference between software that is meant to train vs. software that is meant to entertain. But, both are essentially of the same mold irrespective of their focus.

However, to take things a bit further, sometimes the only real difference between the two is the type of input device being used.

Lightsped
July 2, 2009, 05:49 PM
I play XBox 360 games every night. Shooter games I play on a regular basis are:

Rainbow Six Vegas
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty 5

In my opinion Rainbow Six Vegas is the most tactically realistic of these games, but the graphics of the Call of Duty games are better. All three are good games, just depends on what you want....

CoRoMo
July 2, 2009, 05:52 PM
Im guessing then that any type of "computer simulated combat" could be construed as useless, based on what you say.

You guessed wrong.

WTBguns10kOK
July 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
Well, as everyone knows, if you want to improve your bird shooting, you play Duck Hunt. :)

cratti
July 2, 2009, 08:40 PM
If your computer can run it, Armed Assault/ArmA2 is highly recommended.
Operation: Flashpoint (its predecessor) is worth a look too.

Graphically, Flashpoint is nothing impressive, but it's one of the most realistic "military" games I've seen. http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/pc/act/operationflashpoint/operationflashpoint_screen004.jpg
If you can shoot it, you can look down the sights. Or scope, as the case may be. With functional markings for windage and elevation (particularly handy with the anti-tank weapons)

The Armed Assault series expands on this, with adjustable sights and the like.

cratti
July 2, 2009, 08:49 PM
Deus Ex for the PC: (In a rundown hotel, the owner asks the player for a gun for protection. The player has the choice to answer -) "I'm sorry, civilians aren't allowed to own firearms." "Tell that to the gangsters."

Since you mentioned Deus Ex (which is to PC games what Brave New World or Fahrenheit 451 is to literature...) I'd like to share my favorite quote.
"When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror."

deltastorm11
July 2, 2009, 09:54 PM
Socom 3 is one of the more realistic shooting games and its actually pretty addicting online :D

ChCx2744
July 6, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hm...I didn't want to feed this thread but I coulnd't resist.

Counter Strike series are fun
Left 4 Dead is fun
Call of Duty series are fun

jackdanson
July 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
I was just reading up on a game called ArmA2. It's supposed to be one of the more realistic gaming experiences out there. And it does incorporate things such as bullet drop, etc., that others have complained are lacking in games.

Yeah, I got that game about a week ago.

It is a "military simulator". I like it a lot, but it's kind of dry if you're used to COD or counterstrike.

Sniping in ARMA 2 is awesome.. compensate for bullet drop, if the guy is running, etc.

It's def. realistic.

kirklandkie
July 6, 2009, 11:00 PM
i don't remember the name of the game, but my brother regularly plays one modern first person shooter with fairly accurate weapons. the only thing that made me almost cry with laughter is the M16 in the game, not only did the weapon hold something like 60 rounds in a regular magazine but it was visibly on safe mode....
hehehe, gotta love it

-kirk

owlhoot
July 7, 2009, 12:21 AM
Never mind.

MagnumDweeb
July 7, 2009, 09:53 AM
Ah I've got 'Red Orchestra' I got it for 7.99 on D-Day over a year ago, you want to spend a quick twenty minutes it's fun. It's about the eastern front during WWII, and you get to play a full range of maps. Unfortunately the map building process is too far beyond my understanding so I can't build any maps inspired by Close Combat III. What I really like about it is that you can't hit squat if you don't know how to use the sights on a firearm. It's fun explaining sight pictures to newbs on a Mosin Nagant as a German Panzer is trying to lob HE on your trench position. The game is fairly realistic with small arms but when a 1941 T-34 with a 7.62mm cannon is taking out a Tiger with one round and the Tiger's 8 mm is taking three shots to take out a T-34 there are issues, granted there are weak points to master and I'm not up for that. I like taking C-4 charges and running them up behind tanks after sneaking past enemy lines, tossing them on the back of the tank and hauling tail.

There is no jumping or running like an Olympic athlete. Your MG will overheat and you have to replace the barrel. SMGs aren't worth squat for accuracy on FA when you are holding the trigger down(try explaining burst fire to newbs). The sniper rifles requires some understanding of rifle handling. If you have a mic you can talk to other players and sometimes coordinate a strategy. But it is annoying as heck when the players carrying MGs don't understand the concept of suppressive fire, especially when you have to charge across an open field to take out enemy bunkers. You do get to call in artillery strikes if you have certain roles. There are no panzer-shreks unfortunately but there are panzerfausts, and it is plenty fun to take out two tank back to back when you sneak up behind them.

My favorite small arms in the game, are STG44(SA fire is accurate at medium range and recoil is light enough to allow easy follow-up shots), PPSH43(seems to handle much better than the PPSH41), DP28(an MG that handles like a rifle, the MG34 has SA fire which is a benefit but the DP just handles better for me), and scoped SVT40(get yourself in a nice fixed position and pick off the enemy from a distance, just fill up the sights with the guys chest). And I love running C-4 charges into enemy lines and hauling tale back after I toss it into a nest of soldiers. The overall small arms handling is amongst the most realistic in my opinion, you need to bring up the sights, line them up, and there is little such thing as shooting on the move. You can rest your gun on surfaces to improve accuracy. And there is up to 56 players on some maps. The game just needs Panzershreks for the Germans, the grenade the Germans had as an anti-tank weapon where they tied a bunch of grenades together, Bazooks for the Russians, flamethrowers for both sides(was a big weapon on the eastern fron), and of course (molotov cocktails).

KBT1911
July 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
I remember as a kid, we'd play "Army" or whatever and there was always that kid who had to make his "gun" out of a stick or a piece of PVC because his parents wouldn't let him play with toy guns. Sure, that stick was not anything like an accurate representation. But that day, it was a Tommy Gun and that kid probably shoots competition today. I guess my point is that it doesn't matter if it's accurate or teaches anything. Play is play and shooting is shooting.

bigalexe
July 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Right now my shooter of choice is the aging Battlefield 2142. I'm becoming a decent sniper and engineer in the game. It's 100% online though.

I bought COD:WAW and playing it on my sister's laptop for a bit. It was fun but my computer wont run it due to a sound issue. Result: Good Game, Bad Hardware compatibility.

Justin
July 7, 2009, 05:03 PM
This thread has shown pretty much the most useful content we're going to get on the subject of video games. Certainly, the archives are full of other game threads as well.

Now, time to go talk about shooting real guns. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Video Games?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!