What do Pakistanis have on their vehicles?

PDA

Blakenzy
June 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
So, now that Pakistani military is constantly on international news, I have begun to notice that what I had previously identified as M60s are actually MG42s? Most camera shots I saw are from the rear, but today I caught a better view of a helicopter mounted gun and it definitely had a muzzle and barrel shroud in line with what the MG42 had. Are these knockoffs or are they real vintage Nazi hardware?

If you enjoyed reading about "What do Pakistanis have on their vehicles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Threeband
June 30, 2009, 03:36 PM
That's the MG3, the updated version of the MG42 widely used around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG3

Blakenzy
June 30, 2009, 03:47 PM
Oh, I see... Didn't change it's looks very much since the 40's. And I thought it was an obsolete weapon system. Do you think it retains the very high ROF it's grandaddy had? Bzzzzzt!

HoosierQ
June 30, 2009, 04:35 PM
1100 Round Per Minute. The MG 42 was 1200 or so. So yeah...very high rate of fire, challenged only by electric gatling gun types.

Dr. Fresh
June 30, 2009, 06:23 PM
I wish I had an MG3.

RoostRider
June 30, 2009, 06:31 PM
I wish I had an MG3.

Unfortunately, all you have to do is move to one of these places and join the military.... :)

Production rights to the machine gun were purchased by Italy, Spain (MG 42/59), Pakistan (MG 1A3), Greece, Iran, Sudan and Turkey.

And of course Germany.... or anyone supplied by any of these countries.....

rondog
June 30, 2009, 08:10 PM
I wish I had an MG3.

Sure you wanna feed one?

Gamera
June 30, 2009, 09:38 PM
It'd be one of those things you have just to have. I couldn't afford to shoot one, but I could brag that I had one :P

chuckusaret
June 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
I had the pleasure(?) to have managed the PAF F16 Jet Fighter engine program from 1982-1993 and traveled thru out the country. The weapon sales is big business around the Khyber Pass. I spent most of my time while in country in Islamabad or Peshawar.

Dr. Fresh
July 1, 2009, 03:46 AM
In my current state, I couldn't buy one, let alone feed it. But if FAs were unregulated, it'd be on my short list of machine guns to acquire.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do Pakistanis have on their vehicles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!