The Internet and gun shows

PDA

Slater
October 21, 2003, 10:03 PM
A lot of folks have said that the Internet has affected gun show sales/prices to some extent. People now have more options and a greater awareness of how much a certain gun SHOULD cost. The gun shows that I've been to still have the usual collection of good, fair, and bad deals, though. Opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "The Internet and gun shows" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ceetee
October 21, 2003, 10:25 PM
The only gun shows I've been to lately have only had two kinds of deals: fair, and bad. The prices shown have been at or above what a dealer's "normal" price should have been. They seem to prey (to a great extent) on the uninformed, who attend thinking that all the prices will be rock-bottom.

In fact, the only reason I've gone has been because I was looking for a certain item, and wanted a wider selection to choose from, and the only reason I bought was because I was able to dicker the sellers down to a fair price.

Some dealers I talked to openly admitted their prices were too high, but said "Somebody will come along who doesn't know any better" and pay it. I wish more folks would become more well-informed on market values of various types of firearms... this would bring the scalpers into check.

Just my opinion... YMMV.

greenmountaingear
October 21, 2003, 10:35 PM
I get a kick out of the people that see "gun X" in a wholesale ad and think that is what the dealer should sell it for :)

That $99 Mosin Nagant also has tax and shipping even if you have a C&R. $750 Bushmasters are the FFL holders price in Shotgun News; not the public's price. There are expenses with a business that Joe Public seems to ignore most of the time. Taxes, overhead, inventory, etc...you know, the little stuff! LOL!

Chipperman
October 21, 2003, 10:39 PM
This does not apply to new guns, but it's nice to see/handle a used gun before buying it.

For non-C&R guns, you still have to pay an FFL transfer, also.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Internet and gun shows" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!