CZ 550 American - 30-06 - thoughts?

PDA

Paradiddle
June 30, 2009, 08:31 PM
Since these forum search engines generally don't allow any searches under 3 characters I'm not getting any hits on my quest to read reviews on this rifle.

I'm considering a deal on a slightly used CZ550 American in 30-06.

How do you CZ owners like your rifles? Particularly the 30-06? The owner says it is very comfortable to shoot, but he lives too far away for me to try it out. I'm not fond of heavy hitting rifles and prefer something comfortable to shoot. I've read that the stock and the way the CZ is bedded does a great job of distributing the recoil

Let me know your thoughts. I have a Garand so it kinda makes sense for my reloading gear to serve both the Garand and my hunting rifle.

The other rifle/caliber I'm considering is the Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08. I realize this is a very inexpensive rifle in a less versatile round, but I thought I'd just toss out my other thought. Those Marlin's are so inexpensive it's hard not to buy one.

Thanks,

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 550 American - 30-06 - thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
roc1
June 30, 2009, 08:38 PM
I personally own the CZ 550 in 243 Win. I love this rifle will shoot 3 in under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. It would do better with someone with good eyes. This is my deer rifle nowdays. I give my Remmy 06 to my eldest son, it was great just do not like to be beat on as much anymore.I have 4 CZ rifles and 7 CZ pistols they are great firearms. You would not be disappointed.
Hope this helps
roc1

mongo4567
June 30, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have a 527 in .223, it is a great rifle. It will shoot .5 MOA if I do my part. It also has great fit and finish. A friend got a 550 in 6.5 because he liked mine so much; he loves his too.

stubbicatt
June 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
I have several CZ rifles, rimfire, centerfire, and big bore centerfire.

They are all quality rifles with hammer forged barrels which shoot much better than I do.

With respect to the 550, I have a heavy barrel 308. The rifle is smooth as glass, and very very accurate. The walnut stock is especially nice. CZ does walnut very well. The wrist section is perfectly angled, and smaller for a ready grip. The checkering is cut checkering rather than pressed, and they didn't bleed over the line in any place. The bolt handle is longer and at a different angle than say a Remington 700. It makes cycling the action very instinctive. The controlled round feed is also very nice.

The recoil seems to be ameliorated somewhat from what I have experienced with other rifles... rather straight back with no muzzle rise. Since the 30-06 is basically the same thing, I would expect a similar performance.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/CZ550V/IMG_0796.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/CZ550V/IMG_0784.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j187/stubbicatt/CZ550V/IMG_0792.jpg

I have been eyeballing a CZ in 6.5x55 for hunting this fall, but thus far am reluctant to drop the coin.

These are quality rifles. Personally, I would stay way from the kevlar stocks... they have a huge palm swell and just don't appeal to me.

proplinker
July 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
I have talked to alot of CZ550 owners and have never heard anything bad. The most popular would be the 30-06 and the 375 H&H

rangerruck
July 1, 2009, 12:47 AM
if you have never seen or felt the fit and finish of a cz, you will love them. If you have never shot a cz, with it's simple to adjust single set trigger, you will be mesmerized the first time you do. with a little flat blade screwdriver, you can set the pull down to a mindmeld; just think about the trigger, and it will fire.
Accuracy wise, I will go out on a limb here, for a large production-factory made rifle, there is no other that can compete with it in the accuracy dept. Oh sure, custom made rigs, and other small shop dudes making serious bbls can, but that is a whole diff can of worms. even guys who shoot benchrest, will use the 550 action as a starting point, they are that good.

Moon
July 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have a 550 American in 30-06 that I use when hunting big game. It's great. The trigger is awesome because it can be easily adjusted by a gunsmith. No stoning or modifications; it is just a matter of setting three screws correctly. As one of the other posters noted, recoil is less than other guns. If I recall correctly, it may weigh like a pound more than other similar guns, which is probably why it is easy on the shoulder (a pound means a lot in the recoil department). Accuracy has been very good with everything I've ever put through it. And it comes with rings, so that will save you money. Simply put, if you are looking for a Mauser action, traditionally styled rifle that shoots straight and doesn't need much (if any) attention from a smith, then get a CZ.

My one regret is that I got the American over the full stock version. By combining the full stock version -- which comes with good open sights -- with quick detach scope rings, I could have had my ultimate rifle. I can probably live without the sights, but they would sure come in handy in the close-in swamp hunting that I sometimes do, or when it rains.

Gryffydd
July 1, 2009, 05:24 PM
I can't speak to the CZ 550, but I have some advice for searching The High Road. Go to Google and enter a string like this:

CZ 550 site:thehighroad.org

Everything before the "site:" is your search string. You can enter any website after the "site:"

P.S. This thread is the 3rd result.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 1, 2009, 06:00 PM
Use "CZ*" - it will return all results beginning with "CZ" which happens to include "CZ[space]".

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 550 American - 30-06 - thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!