Getting something refinished

PDA

DHJenkins
June 30, 2009, 09:02 PM
Is there no alternative to spending almost $60 each way for overnight shipping to a good refinisher?

It's kind of annoying that the shipping doubles the price of the actual refinishing...

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting something refinished" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
June 30, 2009, 11:05 PM
I use my local FFL. They charge $20 for the transfer fee and $15 for the shipping.

Oro
July 1, 2009, 01:11 AM
ditto to Rbernie. Also, the refinisher should have an FFL (else he can't legally take guns in for repair overnight), and they should be able to mail the gun right back to you for $15. Repair returns from an FFL can go straight back to the owner. So your roundtrip should cost no more than $50 total. There are some states that don't allow this, but they are few and I don't think TX is one of them.

The other option is finding someone local if it's not a "fancy" gun. It takes some diggins, but ask around at gun shops, pawn shops, and gun shows. Someone will know.

Another alternative is to use the manufacturer. Usually they have special deals with carriers and they can send you a call tag, then send it right back and at much lowered rates. S&W does this, for example.

Sunray
July 1, 2009, 01:48 AM
Kind of depends on what you're having done. Refinishing a stock isn't rocket science. However, shipping fees aren't set by the smithy or retailer. The carrier does that.

CCR
July 2, 2009, 09:37 AM
The cheapest way is to have your local FFL ship it to the refinisher which by law has to be an FFL. You should not have to pay a transfer fee because you are not doing another 4473 form.

The way we do it is if your store front FFL will ship the gun to us just for the shipping costs we give the store front $20 for his time

Or if you wish to ship it via FedEx we can save you 15% off shipping just email us for details

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting something refinished" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!