Texans: CHL applicants in Harris, Galveston & Brazoria Counties - Contact your reps!

PDA

Quoheleth
July 1, 2009, 02:18 PM
I just got off the phone with DPS in Austin, checking on the status of my CHL application which began in February. What's that make it...over 120 days and counting!

It's been almost a month since I last called, checking on my app, and was told that Harris County was the hold-up. I called again this morning, and got the same song, 2nd verse.

I asked "What do we need to do?" She said - and I quote - "Y'all need to start a revolution and contact your state representatives." Even in Austin, they are completely bumfuzzled as to why it's taking so bloody long down here. "It shouldn't be that hard or that difficult," she said.

Now is the time to band together and contact state reps. Tell 'em that we citizens of Harris, Galveston and Brazoria counties respectfully demand additional staff in the CHL processing divisions.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/mnuAddress.aspx

Let 'em hear it! With elections only a few months away, it's time to stir the pot! Special session was called! Get their attention! It's only going to get worse, the lady said, so we're not only fighting for our licenses but for those who have applied after us and will be stuck in the same boat!

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Texans: CHL applicants in Harris, Galveston & Brazoria Counties - Contact your reps!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
feedthehogs
July 1, 2009, 03:29 PM
respectfully demand additional staff in the CHL processing divisions

Who's gonna pay for the new staff at a time when Galveston is recovering from being just about wiped off the map and tax revenue is way down in every government office?

Relax, it'll get to you.

Deltaboy
July 1, 2009, 05:51 PM
Nothing like the Hurricane excuse. Seriously it took me from Sept to Dec to get mine. Raise some cain but it won't do much good.

TexasRifleman
July 1, 2009, 06:00 PM
Now is the time to band together and contact state reps. Tell 'em that we citizens of Harris, Galveston and Brazoria counties respectfully demand additional staff in the CHL processing divisions.

So I guess I am confused by why it would be different for one region of the state vs another.

The fingerprints go to FBI, the background check is electronic, and there is no signoff or approval required from local LEO's for the Texas CHL.

Seems like there shouldn't be any reason for more delay in certain parts of the state.

What am I missing?

What does Harris County do directly? Are they involved in the background checks? I understood those were all basically just NICS.

I think there is some property tax research done, maybe that's it?

Spreadfire Arms
July 1, 2009, 06:30 PM
all of the State Representatives in Texas have been called by the Governor into special session to address a particular list of things that the Governor is making them work out.

unfortunately, i doubt any any State Representative is going to return a call or email until they are done with this special session.

Benzene
July 1, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm finding it hard to think that that comment is serious!! More applications means MORE REVENUE!!!

At any rate, I think the best solution is to apply for a UTAH license - far less expensive, quick [very quick] service, lasts FIVE years, no hoops to jump on renewal, and recognized in Texas.

Benzene
July 1, 2009, 10:25 PM
My friend just told me that only a few hours ago he spoke with Texas DPS about his renewal license. The goodly lady advised, when asked how much longer it will take, "Several more months"!!! He applied since March (this year). And then she mentioned something about the "gulf coast area causing delay".

slidelock15
July 2, 2009, 12:07 AM
Could somebody update me on Texas CHL law? I thought Texas was shall issue. As in it has to be issued within a certain time frame without sufficient reason for denial. No?

TexasRifleman
July 2, 2009, 12:11 AM
As in it has to be issued within a certain time frame without sufficient reason for denial. No?

This is correct. The law requires certain timelines. The Texas Department of Public Safety has broken that law.

Texas State Rifle Association has made inquiries, elected officials have demanded answers, and DPS has basically said "we are overloaded with applications and we're doing the best we can".

Not sure what happens next really. It would seem that the DPS is not the agency to administer this program, but nothing has been done yet.

A real train wreck.

JohnKSa
July 2, 2009, 12:31 AM
Who's gonna pay for the new staff at a time when Galveston is recovering from being just about wiped off the map and tax revenue is way down in every government office?More applications means MORE REVENUE!!!EXACTLY CORRECT!

The CHL program is designed to pay for itself. If they get more applications than usual then they AUTOMATICALLY get more revenues than usual to process them.

Which means that this excuse: "we are overloaded with applications and we're doing the best we can" does not make sense. If they're overloaded with applications then they're also overloaded with application fees--the money used to run the program. If they're not using that extra money to fix the problem then they're mismanaging the CHL program.

Fburgtx
July 2, 2009, 01:54 AM
I support the TSRA. I myself am a member. However, the TSRA has known about this problem for quite some time now (6-9+ months). The DPS has had more than enough time to hire some extra folks. It's time for the TSRA to stop playing nice and to get some attorneys involved.

The Texas CHL law states that DPS has 45 days to make the determination of whether or not to issue a license. Not 3 months. Not 6 months. They ARE breaking the law. Of course, this is what happens when the government breaks the law. NOTHING!!!!

If I was carrying and my permit was expired by 2-3-4 months, do you think a DPS Trooper would let me off??? I seriously doubt it. However, citizens of Texas are expected to walk around unarmed for months while they wait for DPS to process their permit.

Do you think the ACLU would be playing nice if it was taking this long for folks to get their voter registration cards??????????

bdickens
July 2, 2009, 07:38 AM
When my application took too long, I contacted my State Rep, Senator and the Governor's office. Guess what showed up in my mail box a week later?

JohnKSa
July 2, 2009, 07:43 AM
I support the TSRA. I myself am a member. However, the TSRA has known about this problem for quite some time now (6-9+ months). The DPS has had more than enough time to hire some extra folks. It's time for the TSRA to stop playing nice and to get some attorneys involved.From what I've heard, DPS has hired some new folks/temps but clearly not enough.

TSRA is a very small organization with a small membership and they've been very busy with the 2009 legislative session for the last few months and also with the move of the organization headquarters from Dallas to Austin. They manage to do some pretty impressive things, but it's in spite of the fact that they get very little support and have a small number of members. Last time I checked there were fewer than 30,000 members. When one considers that there are around a third of a million CHL holders in TX, that membership total is reprehensible.

People who are upset about the CHL delays should:

1. Join TSRA (see the link in my signature line), make a contribution and then contact TSRA to voice their concerns.

2. Contact their TX state representative (http://www.house.state.tx.us/resources/faq.htm#who_rep) and state senator (http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members.htm#FYI) and copy DPS (chl@txdps.state.tx.us) to let them know of their concerns.

3. Contact the governor's office (http://governor.state.tx.us/contact/) and ask him to deal with the problem. Governor Perry is very pro-gun.

Frog48
July 2, 2009, 11:23 AM
What does Harris County do directly? Are they involved in the background checks? I understood those were all basically just NICS.

No idea. I was under the impression that the background check was just DPS running your name through NCIC and TCIC...? I have no idea why the counties themselves are involved.

Dokkalfar
July 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
When one considers that there are around a third of a million CHL holders in TX, that membership total is reprehensible.

You also seem to be forgetting the many non-CHLs who own shotguns or rifles or handguns (such as myself). Which, unfortunately, makes that membership number even worse :/

But what are the legal repercussions of DPS not giving a decision in the time required? (to the DPS) Yes, someone could sue, but that's not going to help the situation, probably make it worse actually, using up resources. But what happens when someone gets robbed/mugged and cant legally defend themselves cause their permit hasn't arrived after a year of waiting?

Double Naught Spy
July 2, 2009, 02:23 PM

Sorry yours are taking so long, but then again, everyone's is being delayed as well. You don't think it would be more prudent to have DPS stand by the law they helped formulate and get everyone's CHL out ontime?

texas bulldog
July 2, 2009, 04:08 PM
i for one am very frustrated with the way DPS continues to flout the time limits without consequence. i would love to see TSRA make this a priority, though i know they have limited resources. if you are a gun owner in texas, please join TSRA. don't be a freeloader; they fight for you whether you contribute or not, but their success depends on membership dollars and money. if you're on this board, you really ought to put some money where your mouth is.

(not meant to flame anyone in particular...i just think that if every texas NRA member also joined the TSRA, we could be an unstoppable force at the state lavel...)

Quoheleth
July 2, 2009, 09:20 PM
Sorry yours are taking so long, but then again, everyone's is being delayed as well. You don't think it would be more prudent to have DPS stand by the law they helped formulate and get everyone's CHL out ontime?

Yes; I hope all Texans get their CHL promptly.

The woman I spoke with at DPS specifically mentioned these three counties as the leaders of the back-log. Thus, my post.

As far as the cost of having more staff, it seems to me that with each (well...almost every) license bringing in over $100, DPS could better staff the program. Even if they added one person who rotates between these three counties...or, transfer some of the heavy load from Harris, Brazoria and Galveston to counties that have lighter application loads. I don't know, but it seems to me there should be an affordable and reasonable answser to this back-log.

I apologize for whining. I've been around my kids too long on vacation. Time to get back to work for peace & quiet!

Q

slidelock15
July 4, 2009, 12:05 AM
I still dont get it. I am assuming that in Texas as in Ohio, you could go to a judge and ask for a Writ of Mandamus requiring the DPS to abide by the law. The mere fact that they were required to issue a CHL without completing the background check would likely give them sufficient motivation to increase their staffing.

almostfree
July 4, 2009, 01:40 AM
I will second the above calls for members of this forum that live in Texas to join the TSRA. It is a great organization. For a small organization they do a really exceptional job promoting the RKBA.

bdickens
July 4, 2009, 11:47 AM
One more vote for joining the TSRA!

orionengnr
July 4, 2009, 11:59 AM
Another TSRA member waiting for his (renewal) CHL. :)

Deanimator
July 4, 2009, 12:01 PM
Relax, it'll get to you.
And if you get robbed, raped or murdered in the meantime because you couldn't LAWFULLY carry?

Is the license inheritable if it comes after somebody kills you?

Is a willful failure of authorities to abide by the licensing law an affirmative defense to a charge of unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon?

TexasRifleman
July 4, 2009, 12:24 PM
Is a willful failure of authorities to abide by the licensing law an affirmative defense to a charge of unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon?

Would cost a fortune, and might end up at the Texas Supreme Court, but it's a very valid theoretical argument.

The_Shootist
July 5, 2009, 01:47 PM
Quote:

Would cost a fortune, and might end up at the Texas Supreme Court, but it's a very valid theoretical argument.

I'm willing to bet it would be a VERY valid arguement if the defendant was on his 2nd or 3rd renewal with no offenses/problems in his history.

I remember I was on my 3rd renewal last Nov/07 - Jan 08 and it took well over the budgeted time. I never carried illegally, but was damn glad the Legislature had finally codified "travelling / car carry " by then.

Never felt so exposed in my life, even though the time between CHL expiry and when the renewed license arrives was a month at most.

If you enjoyed reading about "Texans: CHL applicants in Harris, Galveston & Brazoria Counties - Contact your reps!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!