Status of Concealed Carry in National Parks?

PDA

USMC_2674
July 1, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm about to head to yellowstone for a week of canoe'ing and fishing and would love to be able to legally bring some protection against 2 and four legged predators... especially since we're going to be 7 hours away from help for 4-5 days (canoe'ing in 7 hours).

What is the status? I have Utah Concealed carry permit... can I carry or not?

Thanks in advance,

Semper Fidelis,

Kent

If you enjoyed reading about "Status of Concealed Carry in National Parks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Fresh
July 1, 2009, 05:51 PM
Not until sometime in 2010.

Oro
July 1, 2009, 05:54 PM
no, not until like February or so - it is linked to the Credit Card Reform act which goes into effect then. Until then, the government prefers the wildlife have the advantage.

Bear spray and rocks are what you are limited to in National Parks for this summer season. Or a Bowie knife and sharp stick.

Opencarry.org will help you figure out what non-National Park areas your Utah permit gives you special privileges.

jmr40
July 1, 2009, 06:17 PM
Was visiting Smokey MT NP a few weeks ago and the Park service had a lot of signs up advising visitors the new law took effect on Feb. 22, 2010

MT GUNNY
July 1, 2009, 07:13 PM
The day that takes effect, those signs will be taken down I bet!

jmr40
July 1, 2009, 10:06 PM
The way the signs were worded it was not an invitation to carry after Feb., but a warning that the law had not taken effect and that carrying was illegal.

Southern Rebel
July 2, 2009, 09:32 AM
Until next year, your sol unless your buddy is fat and you can outrun him and you arrange to store the food next to his tent.

Nickotym
July 2, 2009, 11:55 AM
Look for a National Forest instead, most of them allow carry if the surrounding state does and have for quite a time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Status of Concealed Carry in National Parks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!