Whats the best investment you've made..

PDA

Wildyams
July 2, 2009, 03:30 AM
for under $10?

One of the best investments I've made recently was a $2 5x7 blue tarp. makes a great brass catcher when I'm shooting my handguns out in the field by my house.

I think it would be interesting to hear what inexpensive things we might be able to pick up to make a day at the range, reloading bench or anywhere more enjoyable and/or easier

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best investment you've made.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
July 2, 2009, 03:49 AM
Great idea for a thread. Here's one:

White lithium grease. $5 for 1/2 pound at Ace Hardware, even less in a 1lb tub at the auto parts store. Replaces all the "mouse milk" wonderlubes for a fraction of the price, and generally outperforms them all. This is what I am talking about:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ags-white-lithium-grease-8-oz-p-69456.html?ref=42

Combine it with some 3-in-1 oil or assembly lube, a spray can of brake cleaner, and bottle of Hoppes #9, and for about $15 you have all the firearms cleaning/lubricating products you need for two years worth of regular shooting, maybe longer.

Cleaning swaths/patches:

Instead of a package of white squares, buy a roll of bounty paper towels:

http://www.quickerpickerupper.com/en_US/index.shtml

For like $1 each. You can tear square or streaks off into the volume you need, thread it through your patch rod, and scrub the barrel much more effectively and cheaper. An entire roll will last a year or two. They don't "scrub" as well as the cheap cotton cloths, but that is what the bore brush is for. They are much more absorbent to get residue out, and they are "customizable" into the wad size you need like the square patches are not.

Dental picks:

$1 at gun shows, flea markets, online, or hobby stores. Get thin ones and you can use them to easily start flaking off stubborn built up lead or copper out of lands and grooves. Will dramatically cut down barrel cleaning if you normally spend lots of time attacking lead and copper deposits. Also great for de-gunking internal crevices and crannies.

TheFallGuy
July 2, 2009, 06:23 AM
ear plugs and safety glasses

WC145
July 2, 2009, 07:27 AM
It wasn't the GM stock I bought.:banghead:

1-UP
July 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
A big, insulated water jug/cooler. Keeps the water colder, longer than a water bottle, costs nothing to fill, can serve a whole group of buddies. I can't believe I didn't think to bring it to the range sooner.

The big bulk bottle of foam ear plugs. Useful for whenever you bring a non-shooting buddy to the range or when you bring a shooting buddy nimrod that forgot theirs.

Dunno if it violates the spirit or not, but I got a free pair of field goggles through my bank for some reason, recommending somebody or something I guess. They're small and have reasonable optics, but sat unused for years until I tossed them in my range bag on a whim. It's astonishing how often I pull them out. It can be tough to see what the bullets are doing even as close as 20 yards, but they let me check my groups without having everybody else stop their shooting.

KarenTOC
July 2, 2009, 09:29 AM
Plastic boxes for 50 cents each. Actually, pencil cases from a school-supply sale at Walmart. Perfect size for holding a j-frame sized gun or all the little bits and parts that you don't have a place for. They stack nicely and keep things organized. The boxes also come in k-frame size, but they were all gone. I bought half a dozen, and wish I had picked up more.

danprkr
July 2, 2009, 09:49 AM
Ditto on the tarp

lead-inspector
July 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
The marriage license fee. 40+ years and she loves it when i bring another gun home.

Steve

Nate1778
July 2, 2009, 10:22 AM
Gun bag, you never know how much you needed one, til you own one, cheap or not.

Lightninstrike
July 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
Gun goo. That stuff works. :D

http://shop.berryhillguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=53

ambidextrous1
July 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
Roughly $4500 for safe mover, U-Haul trailer, and professional movers, to move all my earthly posessions out of Southern ********** into Texas. No explaination needed.

Outstanding post, Oro!

testosterone
July 2, 2009, 11:06 AM
in 1988ish, i had managed to scrape together a few thousand bucks mowing lawns and wrenching on cars(i was 15).

I had my mom buy stock in this software company in the pacific northwest that was supposedly gonna be big.

It was slightly more than 10 bucks a share at the time, but a few K invested MSFT at the time payed for a lot of things in the late 90's, including most of a university education.

I wish my parents had done the same...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 2, 2009, 12:58 PM
Great value sandwich bags & Great Value large & small ziploc bags, and a sharpie permanent marker for labeling. Organizes the man cave stuff like nobody's bidness!

Gaiudo
July 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
Common toiletry tweezers and fingernail clippers. For clipping loose ends or fishing line, can't be beat.

chuckusaret
July 2, 2009, 02:00 PM
My $2.00 marriage license. It has brought 48 years, 11 months and 10 days of married bliss.

CoRoMo
July 2, 2009, 02:36 PM
The first elk tag I ever bought has proven to have changed my entire life in ways I'm unable to measure.

firesafety3
July 2, 2009, 06:55 PM
The underwear I'm wearing right now...it's already saved me twice today.

Matrix187
July 2, 2009, 07:39 PM
Buying NVAX stock before the bird flu scare. 2nd would be $80 1000 rd Wolf 7.62x39 back in the day.

WTBguns10kOK
July 2, 2009, 09:22 PM
That red hand-held clay thrower...what a riot shooting clays is.

Hk91-762mm
July 2, 2009, 09:41 PM
Actually My DaD was the one who made the good investment -- he traded My uncle for a colt 2nd mdl dragoon[unkown at the time what it was] for about $15.00 debt....I still have it !

tpaw
July 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
Duct tape.

Mags
July 2, 2009, 10:30 PM
5.99 Bluing Pen

Working Man
July 4, 2009, 04:23 PM
ear plugs and safety glasses

+1 on that. My ears and eyes have value above and beyond any firearm I've
bought. I always tell new shooters that protecting those resources are a must.

General Geoff
July 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
Loctite.

sophijo
July 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
...taking my kids hunting and fishing. Now they're taking me!

2nd 41
July 5, 2009, 11:43 PM
Prescription safety glasses and Tac 7 hearing protectors.
Not inexpensive but will save in the Long Run

45Badger
July 6, 2009, 12:20 AM
A pile (several ammo cans) of LC M118 special ball for $5.50/box;)

ScareyH22A
July 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
Free registration to THR.

smithmax
July 6, 2009, 12:46 AM
Bolle wrap-around sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. They had a steep discount because they had "Remington" on the temples, and had been on the shelf for a while. Clear, rose, orange, and amber lenses cover just about every base for me.

damien
July 6, 2009, 02:22 AM
Apparently it was to pick up a copy of The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover when it was in print.

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Thief-His-Wife-Lover/dp/B000059LGL

Pack
July 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
Every gallon of premium gasoline I put in my G-wagen.

rp4130
July 6, 2009, 05:59 PM
An empty ammo can hands down is the best 6.50 I have spent in a long time. And it is stylish to boot.

thesecond
July 6, 2009, 06:02 PM
ear plugs and snap-caps.

theotherwaldo
July 6, 2009, 06:26 PM
The two massive magnets I picked up years ago, back when I was a fry cook. They were attached to the inside of some garbage can lids and they were used to separate flatware from the trash.

They got tossed when the (plastic) lids broke. I grabbed them.

They've saved dropped parts from cars, guns, bikes, etc. They've also picked up scrap, nails, steel cases, and other tire eaters from my driveways. I've used them to recover lots of stuff from under water, including three salvageable firearms and several wall-hangers.

Some very handy hardware for no real investment.

goste
July 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
About 13/14 yrs. ago I bought a bunch of that German Flectar camo clothing, when it was like 1.99 for a shirt, 2.75 for pants, and the jacket was a whooping 3.97.. I hunt in it, and wear it to this day. Wife HATES it....:D

kda
July 6, 2009, 08:33 PM
My marriage license cost only $5. That was over twenty years ago.
Never regretted a minute of it ... got my money back thousands of
times.

ar10
July 6, 2009, 09:05 PM
Marriage license 10.00 June 1968, Fremont Co. CA, Courthouse. One month later we got the hell out of CA.
I think those were the two cheapest things we ever did. Forgot something, we never bought into the 401 sales pitch, we put our money into savings, (Thank God).

browningguy
July 6, 2009, 09:26 PM
I bought GE at $6.70 a share a few months ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best investment you've made.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!