NRA wants to stop American Rifleman magazine!?!?

PDA

Topgun
January 18, 2003, 12:30 PM
I just KNEW it would happen. When I saw the NRA announcement of the TV show, I told my wife they would be wanting to discontinue the magazine.

Now, in my Feb. issue of AR, page 8, they ask the question, "Does receiving 'American Rifleman' influence your renewing your NRA membership?"

Then they state the link to vote as:

http://www.nrahq.org/arsurvey

HOWEVER..........that link takes you to a "What are you going to buy in the next 12 months?" survey.

Don't care for that kind of performance from MY association.

If anyone is more adept at navigating their site and can find the REAL link to that survey, I would appreciate knowing it so I can vote.

Maybe others of you would also like to register your opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA wants to stop American Rifleman magazine!?!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
January 18, 2003, 12:33 PM
Why do you think they are going to stop American Rifleman? Just because they have an online poll that will be answered by about 0.1% of their membership?

Relax...

Topgun
January 18, 2003, 12:36 PM
What else would be the purpose of such a survey?

Whoops.....meant....NONEXISTENT survey?

Oh dang...I forgot. Hitler's invasion of the Sudetenland was only a local issue.

Not relaxed here, boss.

4v50 Gary
January 18, 2003, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't mind if they sent the "Arms & the Man" instead. Can anybody confirm this or is it just rumor? It doesn't seem likely that the "flagship" publication of the NRA would simply fold. How else would the NRA keep its members informed? Not those miserable fund raising mailers they keep sending (and I keep feeding into the recycle bin).

Topgun
January 18, 2003, 12:41 PM
Does being able to post on THR without having to declare the serial numbers of all your guns influence your use of the site?

:fire:

Mark IV Series 80
January 18, 2003, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't mind if they sent the "Arms & the Man" instead. Can anybody confirm this or is it just rumor? It doesn't seem likely that the "flagship" publication of the NRA would simply fold. How else would the NRA keep its members informed? Not those miserable fund raising mailers they keep sending (and I keep feeding into the recycle bin).Hello Gary,
If you don't want all of the weekly fund-raising solicitations, you can call NRA member services and ask that all of the mail (except for the magazine) be stopped.

The biggest problem that I see with all of the fund-raising mail:

It chases away new members!

I gave a new shooting freind an NRA membership, and he did not renew, because he was sick of the endless solicitations!

There are other ways to raise money. I give when I can.

Maybe the NRA should limit their mailed fund-raising requests to the pages of the American Rifleman.

Then, they might save enough money to continue the publication.

Hkmp5sd
January 18, 2003, 01:38 PM
I agree with the view that the fund-raising mail is a bad thing. I know several people that have not renewed their membership because of all the letters and phone calls they get asking for money. And if you happen to donate some money, you get even MORE junk mail.

larryw
January 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
Fold the magazine, one of the most profitable advertising vehicles they have? Uh huh...

Send the following email to membership@nrahq.org with the title "Do Not Promote List"

-------------
Greetings.

Please add my name to the Do Not Promote list.

Thank you,
Name
Address
-------------

I got confirmation from a real person with a name and direct phone number if I continued to get the mail about an hour later. Shortly after that, they stopped.

In my opinion, junk mail, and not taking the initiative to do something about it is a pretty weak reason not to renew your membership with the NRA, the most effective representation we have in politics.

Lone_Gunman
January 18, 2003, 01:58 PM
Topgun,

Are you saying you would drop your NRA membership if they quit publishing American Rifleman?

Topgun
January 18, 2003, 02:50 PM
NO! I am saying I am suspicious of their motive in wanting to know if the magazine is popular.

I am saying I would like the link to vote on it.

I am saying I would like to have someone FIND that link.

I think that is what I said.

Marshall
January 18, 2003, 03:00 PM
If I remember correctly, when you sign up to be an NRA member you also receive a subscription to AR. They just want to know if the AR subscription influences your decision to sign up to be a NRA member. Simple marketing survey to see how important that is.

larry_minn
January 18, 2003, 03:02 PM
I would assume they would still send America' First Freedom mag and the new one they are talking about. IF I recall my membership form when I bought life it was for the NRA magazine for life. It didn't specify the Rifleman. So maybe interest in the Rifleman has fallen with other choices. Kinda like Ford will phase out regualr cab short box pickups because so few folks buy them it is better not to ffer them. Most folks want supercabs/crewcab. Heck I have trouble finding regular cab ones.

Mike Irwin
January 18, 2003, 04:14 PM
RELAX, Topgun.

NRA has been running these kinds of surveys for some months now.

NRA/Rifleman has conducted readership surveys a number of times over the years.

Why?

Because they want to assess what the magazines mean to the readers, what value they are for the readers, and how they can make them better for the readers.

This is the kind of information that NRA can present to the advertisers to show them that the magazine is actually fulfilling a purpose for the advertising dollars that are spent.

I've been involved in probably a half-dozen readership surveys with different jobs that I've held.

I'd say that the chances of the magazines going away is about ZERO.

I wish you had posted this yesterday, though, before I had a 45 minute conversation with Rifleman's editor.

Don Gwinn
January 18, 2003, 04:36 PM
Relaaxxx. . . . deep breath. . . . summon the Force and center yourself within it.

DeputyVaughn
January 18, 2003, 05:56 PM
The NRA quit producing the "American Rifleman" magazine about a year or 2 before I quit the NRA in 1996. The Thing they produce now is little more than a newsletter.

Sorry about the attitude, I gave up on the NRA a long time ago.

Scott

4v50 Gary
January 18, 2003, 06:21 PM
Breathing in, breathing out... thanks Mike Irwin.

Deputy Vaughn, I concur and the older magazines that I've seen had a lot more "hands-on" stuff than the newer one. I hate the hunting wheels stuff and I think they give competition too much coverage.

MountainPeak
January 18, 2003, 07:02 PM
Proud member that enjoys the magazine, and no it will not be discontinued!

DMK
January 18, 2003, 07:28 PM
Car and Driver has had a TV show for a long while (You know the one with Jim Scouten?), they aren't going to fold the print magazine anytime soon, why should the NRA?

gun-fucious
January 18, 2003, 07:37 PM
I still await the NRA Times Square NYC resturant

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA wants to stop American Rifleman magazine!?!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!