Who's in jail here?

PDA

SleazyRider
July 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
I happened to be driving through Queens yesterday (but this phenomenon appears in almost every major city), and noticed an inordinate amount of "ornamental ironwork"---a euphemism for bars---on the windows and doors of many homes. Some houses even had iron fences with electrically-operated gates, so the occupant can drive home in a locked car, pass through a locked gate, and lock themselves into their homes for the night. It occurred to me that gun-toting criminals are out on the streets at large, and unarmed law-abiding citizens have become de facto prisoners, confined behind bars. Citizens of NYC, of course, have been denied their right to bear arms for decades. What an absurd situation!

How did this come to be? It seems it would make more sense to remove the bars and arm the citizenry. The situation reminded me of "One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," in which the people running the asylum were crazier than the residents they purported to serve. The time to shed the bars and pick up a firearm seems long overdue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who's in jail here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
July 3, 2009, 07:57 PM
Security comes at a high price. A number of house fire victims died because their escape was blocked by security bars.

Frank Ettin
July 3, 2009, 08:39 PM
Fences have various purposes. Mine helps prevent kids from entering our property unsupervised and drowning in our pool. My gate is electric so I don't have to get out of the car to open or close it, especially in the rain.

tasco 74
July 4, 2009, 02:39 AM
i kinda get a kick out of the brinks ad where some thug tries to break into the door and about a second later the phone rings.... the lady picks up the phone to talk to some fool maybe hundreds of miles away who tells her he will call the cops........ all i want to say IS PUT THE D@MN PHONE DOWN AND GET YOUR .38!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ................................

life is too short to depend on an alarm company to save your bacon.......

as for being in jail ... it aint me... in a small town in iowa and my windows are not barred........ i do lock my doors whether i'm home or not.....

bigalexe
July 4, 2009, 02:49 AM
I also hate security ads, there is one currently that is for ADT where the individual SEES the guy break into the front door and my thought is "Grab the gun and fire hes right there!" Luckily in the commercial the guy runs off because of the alarm but i doubt a real criminal would especially after the residents had a good look at him.

Zach S
July 4, 2009, 06:36 AM
No bars here, although I keep my doors locked weather I'm home or not. We'll have windows open during the day, but the rule of thumb is that they're all closed and locked while we sleep.

Remember, the harder it is to get in, the harder it is to get out. Its already been mentioned that folks have burned because they couldn't climb out of a window.

i kinda get a kick out of the brinks ad where some thug tries to break into the door and about a second later the phone rings....
A while back in a home security thread, a member mentioned he had to go into his basement to get something, but forgot to disarm the alarm before he did so. It took three minutes for the company to call him.

Depending on the situation, three minutes can be a very long time.

Cannonball888
July 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
It occurred to me that gun-toting criminals are out on the streets at large, and unarmed law-abiding citizens have become de facto prisoners.
And the citizens are on work release with conjugal visit priveledges.

AirForceShooter
July 4, 2009, 08:38 AM
You think we're bad?
Go to South America.
They even lock up the servants at night.

AFS

runrabbitrun
July 4, 2009, 10:40 AM
Miami has a lot of that jail house look thing going on too.
(OK a lot of the iron work looks nice, but still)... :eek:

I think in Florida the tide will keep turning and the bars can someday come off.
As long as Florida continues down it present gun law course.

SHvar
July 4, 2009, 12:35 PM
Its sad that people willingly put themselves through living in these areas. The citizens spend their entire life behind bars trying to keep crime out, and the criminals spend their lives trying to get out from behind their bars, just to get behind the citizens bars.

Geno
July 4, 2009, 12:46 PM
When I lived in South America I was in "jail" every where I wandered. Concrete walls with broken glass bottles embedded, bar fenses sharpened to a sharp point, bars on windows, and don't even ask me about my mother-in-law. :neener: Talk about the warden. Here, we simply have solid doors, and reinforced hardware. I refuse to live in "jail". Great thread, and nice food for thought about our freedom. Thanks for making me stop and think about this again. How appropriate for a 4th of July.

Geno

D94R
July 4, 2009, 01:25 PM
i kinda get a kick out of the brinks ad
I also hate security ads

They're product isn't guns. They aren't trying to sell you guns. They are trying to sell security systems. YOUR security system (a gun) isn't EVERYONES security system. Why would they advocate the use of a gun in their ad? That would be like a car ad trying to sell you airplanes.

svtruth
July 4, 2009, 01:34 PM
old saying, what you tolerate, you validate.
My policy is to not live places I need bars.
YMMV.

41022collector
July 4, 2009, 02:19 PM
Personally, I want them to enter my place as easy as possible...... (very evil grin)

41022collector
July 4, 2009, 02:23 PM
LOL yeah, the brinks ad, "Are you home alone," the brinks op askes... my stup in there would be to add... "Ok, go to your bedroom, turn on your cam and do what ever the nice unformed man on the speaker tells you to" LOLOLOL

gbran
July 4, 2009, 02:44 PM
I won't live somewhere I feel the need to live behind bars. I also won't live in a gated community that is surrounded by gangland.

MagnumDweeb
July 4, 2009, 04:39 PM
I live in Central Florida, Seimonle County. My roomate is 42, I'm 24, and he leaves the house unlocked all the time. Safe to say I got a heavy door and deadbolt for my walk in closet, and keep most of my walk-a-way valuables in my safe. When I'm home I keep a Winchester 94AE .30-30, or 12 guage pump actoin, in reach when I'm in my room. And I keep a Ruger P345 in a dresser not far from my bed, and Tokarev Norinco Type 54 7.62x25 in another dresser not far from my bed. So I live an open life, but an armed life. And yeah I tuck a snub nose .357 in my shorts when I'm out on my pool deck studying or doing yard work.

After the summer I'll be repalcing the .30-30(it goes in the safe) with a WASR-10 hopefully if I can find one for under $400 used.

Leanwolf
July 4, 2009, 05:08 PM
MAGNUM DWEEB - "I live in Central Florida, Seimonle County. My roomate is 42, I'm 24, and he leaves the house unlocked all the time."

I suggest getting a new roommate. One with a bit more "situational awareness." :D

L.W.

Birdmang
July 4, 2009, 05:11 PM
DAMN MAGNUM...do you live in a ****ty area?

any reason for a gun in every drawer?

rbernie
July 4, 2009, 05:15 PM
In the running for the Silliest Thread Evar!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Who's in jail here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!