Am I being paranoid?

PDA

Okiecruffler
October 22, 2003, 10:44 AM
Not sure when this actually started, but I've started buying extra ammo and squirreling it away. Nothing too drastic, not by the case, but if I'm buying a 2 bandoliers of 8mm, I'll buy an extra and stash it. I've even started doing it with reloading components. Not really sure what I'm stashing it for, maybe I'm picking up alien thought waves, but I now have several thousand rounds for my favorite weapons. The wife is starting to worry, but mainly because my ammo supply is spilling into her shoe storage space (what's a woman do with 18 pairs of shoes anyway?). Maybe I just need to get to the range more often.

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I being paranoid?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gun-fucious
October 22, 2003, 11:01 AM
ammo is pretty cheap right now

the prudent squirrel might ratchet the purchases back a tad
if he needs a forklift to straighten out the garage

:D

Balog
October 22, 2003, 11:06 AM
"Buy it cheap and stack it deep" as they say. Can't hurt to have extra, and it could do a world of good. Remember the parable of the ant and the grasshopper. But if it's encroaching on your living space, you might be at critical mass;)

Henry Bowman
October 22, 2003, 11:12 AM
A little paranoia keeps the aliens away. :uhoh:

LeadPumper
October 22, 2003, 11:17 AM
Nope, a few extra boxes is just your average stockpiling. Like buying a couple more cans of soup at the store because they're on sale.

Now when you buy a dozen extra cases of ammo; weatherproof, fireproof, radiation proof, ray gun proof storage containers to put them in, and bury 'em in the backyard... then come back and ask us about paranoia.

-LeadPumper

MPFreeman
October 22, 2003, 12:34 PM
Your wife only has 18 pair of shoes? Wow! My wife would go into withdrawl with so few shoes.

If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

Dave R
October 22, 2003, 12:40 PM
I'd call it prudent, not paranoid.

Ammo prices and availability can fluctuate significantly. For example, there used to be lots of surplus .30-06. Not now. Likewise, Hirtenberger .308 used to be easy to find. Not now. (Other "flavors" are, though.)

Back in Dec, 1999, there was almost no ammo in popular calibers on the shelf in Boise due to Y2k buying.

There haven't been many fluctuations in prices lately, but that's no guarantee it won't happen again.

Just remember, ammo will get you through periods of no food, better than food will get you through periods of no ammo. (Just kiddin'.)

Mithrandir
October 22, 2003, 12:46 PM
Gun-Fucious states : "the prudent squirrel might ratchet the purchases back a tad if he needs a forklift to straighten out the garage"

hey.... do you rent out that forklift????

'cause I think I need it soon.....

out...

DorGunR
October 22, 2003, 12:46 PM
Just remember, ammo will get you through periods of no food, better than food will get you through periods of no ammo. (Just kiddin'.) Dave ...........I like that.:cool:

Dr.Rob
October 22, 2003, 12:47 PM
I don't trust any 'shooter' that doesn't have 2000 rds of 22 ammo around. Come on thats less than $40 worth of cartridges.

Hate to admit, over the years my hoarding has been dented severely by my shooting. Need to get reloading again.

DorGunR
October 22, 2003, 12:48 PM
Uhhhh.....Dr. Rob..........trust me.:D

Mike Irwin
October 22, 2003, 12:49 PM
Paranoid?

Probably not, unless you really start hoarding ammo.

I still have the better part of a case of Russian FMJ ball for 7.62x39 that I bought 10 years ago when I bought my SKS. Decided that that was going to be my "stash" ammo.

I am, however, going to get a couple of sealed tin cans, and shoot up the older stuff.

Penforhire
October 22, 2003, 12:54 PM
Some of the guys I know figure they're getting low on ammo when they're down to 5,000 rounds for each weapon caliber they own. I'm thinking they are a little further "out there" than most of us.

Curious personal question though. There's been times in my life I was down to one box of 50 .45 ACP rounds. Now I stock about 500 rounds of 9 mm, 500 of 38 (+p amount varies more), 200 of 357 Mag, and a case of 12 ga birdshot (what is that, 250 shells?). That doesn't count a relaitvely small amount of pure SD-designed ammo for each. Oh yeah, maybe 100 rounds of 45 ACP :) I don't think my significant other notices the ammo cans and cardboard case in the garage.

Norton
October 22, 2003, 01:09 PM
A friend once asked me what the difference was between a developer and an environmentalist. He went on to say that a developer wants to build a house in the woods while an environmentalist already has a house in the woods.

Likewise:

The only difference between being paranoid and being prepared is if you were right or wrong about something happening. It's all perspective....

critter
October 22, 2003, 01:29 PM
GUILTY as charged.

Brian Dale
October 22, 2003, 07:09 PM
I think the key is that you write that you're buying extra.

You're only paranoid if you're afraid to go shooting 'cause you don't want to use it up. :D

Moparmike
October 22, 2003, 07:29 PM
I need to do both: Hoard and shoot.

Would a footlocker be a good storage spot for it? In a covered outdoor storage shed w/ a concrete floor? (Generally stays above freezing, and below 70 even in August.)

Okiecruffler
October 22, 2003, 08:03 PM
I think you guys have hit on something. Ammo is really cheap right now. And I had a dry spell awhile back where I just couldn't find cheap 7.62X54 ammo locally. And who knows how long the Turk 8mm is going to last. I'm not stockpiling so to speak, I'm just getting while the gettings good. Plus, while the wife gets THAT LOOK when another $50 C&R rifle is delivered, she doesn't seem to bat an eye when I drop $100 on ammo.

Crimper-D
October 22, 2003, 08:28 PM
Afterall, I had to put something in the old air raid shelter Dad dug into the back yard in the 50's... The Y2K MRE's were starting to deteriorate.:rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
October 22, 2003, 08:49 PM
1. Even paranoids have enemies.

2. Ammunition keeps a long time.

3. I normally keep 5,000 to 8,000 rounds on hand at any given time. Most of that's .22 caliber, to be sure, but I make a point of keeping at least a few hundred rounds of .38 special, a caliber I hardly ever shoot any more.

BluesBear
October 22, 2003, 08:57 PM
Remener the T-shirt solgan right before Y2K?

Ammunition
The Currency Of The New Millenium.

Those words could someday be true.
Remember in the original Mad Max movie "The Road Warrior" guns were still rather plentiful. It was ammunition that was near impossible to find.

That WWI vintage Evansville Chrysler .45 ammo in the sealed Spam Cans that has been showing up lately will keep forever ya know. :evil:

Travis McGee
October 23, 2003, 01:27 AM
Just remember to go out and

BLOAT!

"Buy Lots Of Ammo Today!

BluesBear
October 23, 2003, 01:43 AM
Don't forget National Ammo Day (www.ammoday.com) is Wednesday, NOVEMBER 19th, 2003. (Drats, the day before payday.)
National Ammo Week is November 15-23, 2003

I am taking a little from this paycheck and the next paycheck and earmarking it for ammo. :D

I am trying to decide if I'll talk to the guys at the Super Wal-Mart to make sure they have what I need that week or if I want to spend my money with Doug Kiesler or Midway or Ammoman to show my support for them since that jerk in Kennedyland sued them.
:cuss:
Can you say entrapment?

Walosi
October 23, 2003, 03:16 AM
An old boss once said that paranoids would make good field men, if they just weren't so damned trusting. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. With enough ammo, you can afford to trust. If you're wrong, JSTF :rolleyes:

NewShooter78
October 23, 2003, 11:22 AM
I'm starting to buy up ammo now. I'm keeping at least 3 30 cal ammo cans full. One for each gun. So that's .45acp, 223 rem, and 12 gauge assortment of birdshot, buckshot, and 1oz rifled slug. Its a small supply, but a start.

Balog
October 23, 2003, 11:35 AM
Hmmm, I've only got a little more than 100 slugs and maybe 125-150 in #7 & #8 birdshot. Nothing for the Mosin:( . I feel inadequite

Hutch
October 23, 2003, 05:25 PM
Paranoia is simply a heightened state of awareness. I have absolutely no clue how much ammo I have. Not as much as I'll have this time next year, tho'.

Mornard
October 23, 2003, 06:16 PM
I'm suprised no one told you - just 'cause you may be paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...

You can't have too much ammo. (Unless you do a year's worth of shooting, and then have no need or urge to buy more)

Okiecruffler
October 23, 2003, 06:18 PM
That's why their out to get me!

October 23, 2003, 06:23 PM
It's always better to buy extra ammo when you have extra money then to need extra ammo when you don't have the money. And it will never get any cheaper then it is today. Heck I've bought ammo that I didn't even have a gun for at times just so that down stream if/when I did have the gun I'd hsave the cheap shooting ammo. :D :D

Tamara
October 23, 2003, 07:34 PM
My main limitation is that I live on the second floor... ;)

I try and keep lots of ammo on hand for calibers that I own multiple guns in and shoot a lot (.38, .357, .45, et cetera.) I'm less fussy about keeping, say, tons of 7.7 Arisaka, .44-40 and 7.62 Nagant available. If I have 40 or 50 or 100 rounds of this stuff in stock at any given time, I'm happy.

Oh, yeah, and it's important to have scads of Colibris lying around. :)

Futo Inu
October 23, 2003, 08:22 PM
You have the squirrel, or packrat gene. Lotsa people do. Can come in handy if the S ever does HTF, or if surplus ammo dries up.

Moparmike
October 23, 2003, 08:32 PM
I have considered buying a case or two of turkish 8mm and leaving it out at my moms house. I suppose I would have to start reloading if I wanted to do that with 10mm, with the price of 10mm and all.:eek:

Hutch
October 23, 2003, 08:56 PM
Forgot to post my favorite:

"Paranoid??? ME???? Sure, YOU'd say that...."

Don Galt
October 23, 2003, 09:08 PM
There's more to it than that.... while its hard to ban guns, a tax on ammo is more likely to pass.

I think this will be the wave of the future in gun control. I'm not sure why they arent' doing it now... maybe cause of the elections.

But I think in 10 years, there may be many calibers of ammo you cannot afford anymore because they have a $1 or more a cartridge tax on them.

They'll sell it with "All these proceeds will be used to send the kids of killed cops to college!" or some such excuse.

biere
October 23, 2003, 11:39 PM
This works like a dictionary.

Paranoia comes before preparation. So do things in that order.

And it works properly, you are paranoid until you are prepared. Once you feel you are prepared for something, you have nothing to be worried about.

Eventually you will reach satisfaction and enjoy watching others work through the dictionary.

And I think ammo is so cheap right now it is sort of silly not to use it like a bank account. Some of the surplus I bought a few years back is either not around or more expensive.

If anything I bought drops in price, I treat it like buying a stock and figure cost averaging things out will work.

When things don't work out in the ledger book it becomes my newest target at the range, and that always allows the columns to balance. :D

Enjoy the prices and availability, it was not always like this in the past and I dearly hope it is this nice in the future. But if it is not this nice, I have a bank account to help me through the tough times.

Will Fennell
October 24, 2003, 12:19 AM
If you have a good rifle, and atleast a 1000 rounds of ammo for it, what in the world could you possibly be paraniod about?;)

:uhoh:

XLMiguel
October 24, 2003, 11:31 AM
As a former Boy Scout, I figured it's just good to "Be Prepared". I try to keep at least 1,000 rnds of everything I have guns chambered for, and I try to buy when I find it 'cheap', it helps keep the cost of the hobby down, and I can't resist a bargain. :D

And remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Chance favors the prepared mind.;)

Ivanimal
October 24, 2003, 11:45 AM
If you reload like me and they have sales on powder and bullets, the barass you picked up at the range. Pretty soon your hobby has you 10,000 rounds to the good of your secon amendment rights. Then they have a killer sale atn Wallyworld on shotgun ammo and you're 2000 rounds to the better................:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I being paranoid?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!