'Buntline' 1851 Navy???? Opinions????

PDA

AussieTH
July 4, 2009, 03:47 AM
To tag along with Nobel Sniper’s thread on 1851 Navys I have some more specific questions.

A ‘Buntline’ version was made in .44 with an oct/barrel 12” long. DGW are flogging them for $200 (brass framed though) and it is a good looking gun – but can anyone say what they are actually like in use?

I realise that they are not ‘historically accurate’ – seems to be more a fun thing to have and perhaps a bit of a talking point out at the range.

Like any brass framed weapon I guess you do not charge them heavy etc etc.

But any opinions would be welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "'Buntline' 1851 Navy???? Opinions????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pohill
July 4, 2009, 09:03 AM
I've never fired one but I've handled one and was very tempted. Like you said, they look like a very fun gun. I'm not sure how durable the brass frame would be in .44.
Question - do cylinders "down thar" rotate the opposite way?

madcratebuilder
July 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
Question - do cylinders "down thar" rotate the opposite way?

That's good pohill! ROTFLMFAO!

Tony, I have a Pietta brass frame 51 style in .44, it's a 7.5 inch barrel. It's a great shooter with 22 gr loads. A Buntline model should be of similar quality I would think. I have a 12" 'Buffalo' 58 Remmy that handles and shoots well, the Buntline would feel about the same.

Your correct the it's not ‘historically accurate’, but if you enjoy shooting it, who the hell cares. Plus they are so cheap

Old Fuff
July 4, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well Colt made at least one .36 Navy with a 12-inch barrel ... :what:

And I know of a cased Paterson with 2 barrels, one of which is 12-inches long. :what: :what:

But while he made at least one prototype Navy in .40 caliber, he didn't make any in .44 - at least none are known. :(

So much for history.... :D

Always remember, if you shoot one of the "long-Tom" reproductions with a shoulder stock, be sure BOTH HANDS are below and back of the cylinder face - just in case there is a chain-fire. :eek:

Hellgate
July 5, 2009, 02:06 PM
I would take a "shot loose" brass framed Colt buntline and then just swap the barrel onto a steel frame Pietta "navy". As long as the model and manufacturer are the same you could salvage the cylinder, barrel and moving steel parts into another gun.

CAMPBELL49T
July 5, 2009, 03:09 PM
Don't know how they shoot. But you are right they are a good looking revolver.
In the near future I shall have one. I hope, if I can sneak it by the Wife.

If you enjoyed reading about "'Buntline' 1851 Navy???? Opinions????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!