Anyone from Virginia?

PDA

navaide
July 5, 2009, 09:37 PM
Thinking about tranferring to a small town about 100 miles west of virginia beach. I would like to know if the local laws are friendly to hunters and chl's.
I currently live in NM. Which is alittle too liberal and has a lottery system for hunting privileges. I have NM and TX CHL and if I transfere to VA, would like to obtain one there also. Is there public land to hunt on, or like TX where you pay a landowner?

Am I spinning my wheels guys? Just looking for a state to enjoy shooting sports.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone from Virginia?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Titan6
July 5, 2009, 11:11 PM
VA local laws are subordinate to state laws so location in the state does not matter so much. Both the NRA and the VPC list state laws which are fairly liberal and have undergone a bit of reform in the last 20 years (= good).

Hunting in the state is very good. There is ample public land for hunting around the state. There is no lottery for most game (deer, birds, small game etc). Your resident TX CHL is good in VA and a local one is easy to obtain (need only proof firearms familarity like a hunters saftey card) with standard background check.

Welcome to THR.

navaide
July 5, 2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you Titan6. I'm looking forward to visit your state. It sounds like a decent place to live.

sub.sonic
July 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
navaide, Titan6 is correct. I have a little place just outside Lawrenceville, VA with a private 100 yard range out back. The game is plentiful and the people AOK. Folks down here, put homes in the darnedest places, so don't be afraid to ask before you venture off the road. Good luck with your move and always safe shooting.

herohog
July 5, 2009, 11:41 PM
You will want to Join the VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) when you get here. It is the #1 grass roots group in the state is not the country in terms of it's accomplishments. I live in Staunton, VA and work out of Charlottesville. There are many nice shooting ranges throughout the area as well. Please feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Sharpie1
July 5, 2009, 11:46 PM
I live in Southwest Virginia, about 5 miles from Tennessee. I have lived as far east as Roanoke/Blue Ridge, VA - and I have lived in the state all my life.

Virginia is a great place to live - and is a great place for shooting, hunting, etc. I have travelled all over the country - and there is no place I would rather live.

There is a state gun rights organization here called VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) - which has been instrumental in ensuring that the interests of gun owners are protected (www.vcdl.org).

chris in va
July 6, 2009, 01:52 AM
It'll be a definite adjustment from NM. More humid, lots of trees, tons of rivers to float or fish on, hunting galore...and rain. Open carry is generally accepted, CC permit is easy to get.

Did I mention fishing?

bnkrazy
July 6, 2009, 11:16 AM
You'll love it here. Others have mentioned the organizations you should support, and that hunting/fishing spots are easy to come by. Open Carry is well received, and the VA section on the opencarry.org forums will be useful if you are close enough to come out to the frequent OC dinners around the state.

CHPs are easy to get, and cost no more than $50.

We have 4 distinct seasons, one thing I love about VA.

Be sure to check out http://friendorfoe.us for local gun-friendly businesses, as VA has by far the most rated.

dusty14u
July 6, 2009, 12:31 PM
I am in Hampton Roads. It sounds like you will be in the Emporia region of Virginia?

There are plenty of WMA's (Wildlife Managment Areas) to hunt within an hour or two of you. Many hunters belong to hunt clubs and hunt on farms they have leased rights to.

Virginia is a strong pro 2nd Amendment state so enjoy.

SpotlightRanger
July 6, 2009, 09:37 PM
There seem to be a few members from Staunton. Good place to live.

EHCRain10
July 6, 2009, 11:19 PM
I live about 120-130 miles from the coast in about the area that you live in, its a great place to live. Are you military? if so I would think that Ft lee is where you would be transferred.

countertop
July 6, 2009, 11:50 PM
My only complaint about Virginia is that it has allowed Pat Robertson to orchestrate the ultimate axis f evil between the NRA, the Farm Bureau, and PETA/HSUSA to continue the asinine and otherwise unconstitutional ban on Sunday Hunting.

Its a great state, but i don't get the hatred of hunters. I can take my 7 year old to a strip club and drink a beer with him on a sunday (well, I can drink it, he can't) but I can't take him shooting all because the church's are afraid I won't put money in the till.

Its ludicrous.

navaide
July 7, 2009, 05:31 PM
A ban on sunday hunting? I was looking at the hunting schedules of the various WMA's and I must have overlooked that. I was looking at a position in Emporia, but its not definite. I can live without sunday hunting, but I can see how it would put a crimp on hunters that work monday thru Friday. It still beats NM's restrictions.

dusty14u
July 7, 2009, 06:33 PM
If you would be in Emporia I would recommend getting a hunting permit at Ft Pickett. It is below Richmond and west of Petersburg. It is an active Army training ground with some great hunting. It would be just a hop down the road for you. There are about 35,000 acres of prime turkey and whitetail habitat there. It is $35 for a yearly permit.

navaide
July 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey, Chris in VA, Yes, I believe you did mention fishing! I'm Minnesota born,and love to fish,canoe, boat,waterski,& did I mention love the water?
I would love to pack up and leave tonight. I'll never go back to MN, now that Al Frankein is in office.

dusty14u
July 7, 2009, 08:14 PM
You will be about 45 miles from one of the best fishing on the east coast- Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston. Fabulous fishing there and Kerr is about 35 miles long with an abundance of great spots. WMA's are all around the lake also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone from Virginia?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!