If you encountered someone Open Carrying...

PDA

danbrew
July 6, 2009, 12:27 PM
What would you do?

Suppose you're sitting in the local waffle house at 9:00a one Sunday morning after church with your family and some guy comes in with a big honken' gun strapped to his leg. Open carry is perfectly legal at this particular time and place, although many of the church going families glance over at this gun and there is general unease within the waffle house.

Do you:

Mind your own business and finish your strawberry waffle
Eat faster, pay up, and leave
Go have a word with the fella and let him know that folks are nervous
Something else? If so, what?

Then suppose you're sitting in there at 3:00a after a long shift at the mill and it's the same situation?

Now for both situations above, consider that the guy is somebody that kind of looks like you, is about your age, and generally fits into the place. And then consider that the guy is, maybe, 22, doesn't look like you at all, nobody in the place knows this guy, he's wearing heavy clothes inappropriate for the season, and seems a little off.

Also consider that you are lawfully carrying. Or that you are not carrying.

What would you do?

If you enjoyed reading about "If you encountered someone Open Carrying..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
riverrat373
July 6, 2009, 12:29 PM
Mind my own business.

possum
July 6, 2009, 12:34 PM
Mind your own business.
+1 and give him the same amount of my sittutaional awarness as i give every one that comes in.

Jorg Nysgerrig
There was a guy OCing at the indian buffet I went to last week. My response was to get another serving of chicken tikka masala and some more naan.

What's the point of this thread, to try to find some underlying prejudice among THR members?

bnkrazy
Say hi, and ask if he knows about the opencarry.org web site. I'm probably OCing as well.

HKUSP45C
July 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
Your initial scenario belies a tremendous bias against open carry.

I would do the same thing in that situation as I would do in any other situation where someone was obeying the law....

pay it no mind what-so-ever.

lechiffre
July 6, 2009, 12:47 PM
i would:

1. suffer from a nose bleed.
2. white a shaky handed note to my waitress on a napkin informing her that "we are all about to die" and "there is blood on my waffle".
3. try to sneak out the back door - if my knees hold up.

maybe i should move out of arizona.

wait, the waffle house down the street has a "no guns" sign. so i don't have to worry about any guns being in there.

maskedman504
July 6, 2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.democracyfornewmexico.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/05/paranoia.jpg

KarenTOC
July 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
I had a well-thought-out answer detailing what I'd do in each situation. Then I realized that, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't have noticed any of them. My situational awareness stinks.

note to self: Wake up!

christcorp
July 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
In my opinion (For what it's worth); I would EDUCATE my family or the other church families that are uneasy with the situation. I would tell them the following factoids:

1. It is perfectly legal for that person to be carrying a gun.
2. It is their right to carry the gun.
3. Because of the size of the gun, it's not practical to conceal it.
4. That there's slim chance that he's a bad guy, because a bad guy wouldn't want you to know/see that he has a gun.
5. If there was a bad guy there with a gun, you wouldn't know it until they started to rob the place.
6. This person with an exposed gun is actually "Deterring" a bad guy who might currently be there and considering robbing the place.
7. And their "Uneasiness" with a person carrying open, is THEIR problem and insecurity and NOT the person carrying the weapon.
8. Finally; I would have a chat with the minister and see if he could work such education into his next sermon to speak of rights given to us by our creator. And if the minister wasn't a supporter or was MORE POLITICALLY CORRECT, I would have to chastise him/her.

Anyway, that's what I would do.

Kleanbore
July 6, 2009, 12:59 PM
Why would anyone do anything at all?

If a citizen chooses to carry openly in a jurisdiction and place in which it is legal, is there any reason at all to believe that said individual is even remotely likely to do anything dangerous?

I'd be much more concerned about someone not carrying openly, perhaps checking something under his clothing now and then, and glancing furtively at the doors, windows counter, and people inside and out--and maybe over at the register.

No, whatever the person's reason for carrying openly, I think you can bet your bottom dollar that it is not because he's about to do something wrong.

Why the question, if I might ask?

Mohawk
July 6, 2009, 01:04 PM
This thread has the potential to become a large basket of "road apples".

I'd do NOTHING concerning the OC. Probably order another blueberry waffle.

runrabbitrun
July 6, 2009, 01:06 PM
Mind my own business.
Judge yet ye be judged.

jackstinson
July 6, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'd mind my own damn business.
As for "general unease"....That sounds like a personal problem on their part.
Around here, the Waffle Houses have "no firearms" signage. It is unlikely anyone would OC past that...CC perhaps, OC probably not.
And last but certainly not least; if you are eating any meal at a Waffle House, you have already laid your life on the line.

jrpeppers
July 6, 2009, 01:21 PM
Why are "church going folks" automatically freaked out because of a guy following the law. Oh, I get it, if you go to church you must be sheltered from everything enjoyable in life. My dad's a preacher and he's been shooting his whole life.
I guarantee he would do the same thing I would do, pay him no more attention than the guy with a pocket knife clipped to his jeans.
I'm kind of disappointed in you danbrew, I would hope we could all expect more from our senior members here at THR.

bababooey32
July 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
Shoot him. /sarc off

A better question is: "What do you expect others to do if/when they notice YOU carrying?" I would do unto this fellow what I expect others to do unto me.

Edited to include obvious answer: "NOTHING!!!""

weisse52
Quote:
Mind your own business.
+1 and give him the same amount of my sittutaional awarness as i give every one that comes in.

Best answer I have seen....

dirt_j00
jrpeppers - Senior member status is gained by having 100+ posts, that's all. FYI

Rockwell1
July 6, 2009, 01:29 PM
What was the point of this thread again?

runrabbitrun
July 6, 2009, 01:38 PM

Beats me.

General Geoff
July 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
What would you do?

Smile and wave, as I'd be open carrying too.

jnyork
July 6, 2009, 01:47 PM

What he said.

3pairs12
July 6, 2009, 01:55 PM
I would probably try to make some small talk with the person if he looked like the friendly type. Maybe end up with a new shooting buddy. If he looked unfriendly I would mind my own buisness only after trying to sneak a peek at what make and model he was carrying.

jrpeppers
July 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
jrpeppers - Senior member status is gained by having 100+ posts, that's all. FYI yeah, i kinda figured it was something like that...i was really just being facetious. thanks for letting me know, though.

Mohawk
July 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
I would yell at the top of my lungs "LOOK OUT! THAT MAN HAS A GUN!" Then scream like a 12 year old girl and run out the door without paying the bill. Once safely outside I would call 911 and hysterically announce that there's a man inside the waffle house with a gun and people are screaming. When the police came I would record the whole thing on my cell phone and post it on you tube under the name "Asshat Extrodinare".

MT GUNNY
July 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
Quote; Mind my own business.

+1

christcorp
July 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
The problem is; that no matter what the LAW says or what a person's RIGHTS are; there are going to be people who will be uncomfortable with seeing a gun in public. Saying: "It's my right"; "I'm allowed to"; "It's none of your business"; etc... may be the "LEGALLY" correct answer, but it doesn't address the actual problem of people feeling uncomfortable seeing a gun in public. The ONLY way to address this problem is to educate the people who supposedly feel uncomfortable. Remember; the majority of people have no idea what the constitution and the bill of rights portion say; let alone what the Law says. And right, wrong, or indifferent; that alone is not going to change how they feel. Truth is 99% perception. If the people perceive there is a PROBLEM, then there IS a problem. And the only way to fix that is to educate people. The WORST thing for the Pro-Gun and constitutional cause is to simply claim: "It's my right". Just like when a protester being arrested for disorderly conduct starts screaming about "My 1st amendment rights are being infringed on". Educate those who are uneasy. Teach them that it's a GOOD THING that they are openly carrying. Assure them that THEY TOO can carry openly if they wanted to. And help them realize that it's the 2nd amendment and the right to keep and bear arms that protects ALL OTHER RIGHTS.

NavyLCDR
July 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
I guess I would consider the "unease" in the Waffle House to just have doubled because I would be open carrying too. WTH is the point?

As stated above, sounds like the OP is anti-OC and he's just beating around the bush at saying so. OR maybe he WANTS to OC and has been afraid to do so up to this point.

berrieberrie
July 6, 2009, 02:26 PM
+1 on the post suspecting the OP of a certain bias. After all, we didn't even get the "give him/her a thumbs-up and/or buy the man/woman a drink"-option.

nitetrane98
July 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
The problem is; that no matter what the LAW says or what a person's RIGHTS are; there are going to be people who will be uncomfortable with seeing a gun in public. Saying: "It's my right"; "I'm allowed to"; "It's none of your business"; etc... may be the "LEGALLY" correct answer, but it doesn't address the actual problem of people feeling uncomfortable seeing a gun in public.

One method of treating irrational phobias is "immersion therapy". I try not to let lawyers and folks with irrational phobias dictate how I choose to live my life. I tried for a while and it just didn't work for me.

KarenTOC
July 6, 2009, 02:33 PM
There's another thread running now on open vs concealed carry. My guess is that this thread was meant to be the logical next step:

1. other thread: Which is better, open or concealed carry? I get to choose!
2. this thread: Having chosen to OC, how can I expect folks to react?

just my guess.

Schutzen
July 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
That would never happen to me! The Waffle Hut here has a "No firearms" sign. So my wallet has a "No Waffle Hut" sticker. Vote with your check book!

sarge83
July 6, 2009, 02:37 PM
I mind my own business regardless of the time. If he or she is not threatening, belligerent or pawing at their firearm why should I be concerned?

I was in subway a month or so ago around 9:00pm and a gentleman had a glock on his hip in a holster carrying open. He wasn't a police officer(small town and I know all the local cops), just an older gent in line to order. As far as I could tell no one else gave him a second glance. The thought actually ran through my mind that is someone did hold up the place right now he would be their primary target, thus giving me time to employ the Model 49 S&W I was carrying in my right front pocket.

lukepriebe
July 6, 2009, 02:37 PM
Defiantly finish the waffle.

runrabbitrun
July 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
Must not be too many gun grabbing bills making any headway these days in DC.
The Brady Bunch and the Huffingtons are simply bored and looking to ruffle a few people's feathers.
No one seems to be really listening to them any more
and they are FINALLY losing ground
and being exposed for the anti American's that they truly are. YIPPY...
(The TRUE extremists)

It's always this way when a minority
who has based their entire cause on lies
start to come unraveled as the unwashed masses get the facts.
(The internet is as wonderful tool)...
They've enjoyed their soap box for far too long.
But I think they KNOW it's coming to an end. :p

Education is indeed the key.
Good to see people being educated and NOT following the likes of
PITA, The Brady Bunch or a host of other 'nanny type' posters
left out here, who want to run all of our lives for us.

LET FREEDOM RING and I say... open carry when and where you can. :neener:

Flyboy
July 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
Where's the option for "go have a word with him if it's something cool?"

2RCO
July 6, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'd enjoy my Waffles and maybe see if he needed some new grips or maybe one of those nifty Second Amendment Wristbands.

I prefer concealed carry to open because I think Concealed makes everyone a possible gun carrier and should make criminals more nervous. Open carry is great where it is legal and I'd probably OC from time to time if it was legal here. It would be great to show off my creations.

neverjeg
July 6, 2009, 02:49 PM
I would have a slight grin on my face as I watched the fear rise among the sheep. After eating, I would put a nice tip on the table, the tin hat on my head, and be on my way.

runrabbitrun
July 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
You know I hadn't thought of it this way.

But it's true, the real 'tin hat' types are the one's
worried that because someone has a gun OC (OMG oh no)
there is a problem.

I love this quote from above:

One method of treating irrational phobias is "immersion therapy". I try not to let lawyers and folks with irrational phobias dictate how I choose to live my life. I tried for a while and it just didn't work for me.

Vern Humphrey
July 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
Why would I do anything?

After all, according to this scenario, I just came from church, where I exercised my right to freedom of religion. Would I panic if I saw a citizen reading a newspaper, exercising his right to freedom of the press? Would I wet my pants if I heard a citizen criticizing the government, exercising his right to freedom of speech? Would I get the vapors if I saw a citizen going to the polls and exercising his right to vote?

What would I think about someone who threw a hissy fit if he saw me exercising any one of my Constitutiona rights?

FlyinBryan
July 6, 2009, 03:00 PM
i wouldnt do anything.

i would think "nice"

CajunBass
July 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
Well I don't know about Waffle House, but I was in "Red Robin" a couple of hours ago, open carrying, and nobody did or said anything. I'm not even sure anybody noticed.

Gryffydd
July 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
LOL. Did you forget which board you were posting on for a second?

Vern Humphrey
July 6, 2009, 03:10 PM
The problem is; that no matter what the LAW says or what a person's RIGHTS are; there are going to be people who will be uncomfortable with seeing a gun in public. Saying: "It's my right"; "I'm allowed to"; "It's none of your business"; etc... may be the "LEGALLY" correct answer, but it doesn't address the actual problem of people feeling uncomfortable seeing a gun in public.
The problem is; that no matter what the LAW says or what a person's RIGHTS are; there are going to be people who will be uncomfortable with seeing a bumper sticker for the "othe party" in public. Saying: "It's my right"; "I'm allowed to"; "It's none of your business"; etc... may be the "LEGALLY" correct answer, but it doesn't address the actual problem of people feeling uncomfortable seeing someone support the "wrong party" in public.

DammitBoy
July 6, 2009, 03:14 PM
When I have opened carried, in other states, it's been my experience that a lot of folks just assume you are law enforcement.

And yes, plenty of folks have come up and asked me if I was an officer.

Note: I do not open carry in Mississippi unless I am in uniform and have my badge displayed for my part-time night security job.

mljdeckard
July 6, 2009, 03:14 PM
Not a thing. To draw attention to him in any way is to place emphasis on the notion that bearing arms is an extraordinary thing, which it isn't.

To determine whether or not someone is a threat, I watch their behavior, no matter who they are.

jrpeppers
July 6, 2009, 03:22 PM

Haha, could you imagine watching someone do that. That's pretty funny.

ArfinGreebly
July 6, 2009, 03:25 PM
In that situation, I can tell you what I HAVE done.

Approach the guy, say "howdy," glance at what he's wearing, say "nice rig!" and ask him what brand of holster that is.

Now, alternatively, I might also inquire if he knows a good 'smith locally.

Might even compliment him on his fashion statement.

It's all good.

:D

BP Hunter
July 6, 2009, 03:27 PM
I honestly would carry OC if the public weren't so uneducated on firearms. My wife initially was all out against guns. It took me 2 long months and a lot of "do you truly love" before I bought any gun. Now she wants to shoot, get my 8 year old in shooting sports and says nothing when she sees me slip my gun in my IWB holster before we leave the house. It will take generations before people feel safe around guns...if ever You can't help, all these gun crimes have taught people to see guns as tools of evil rather than tools of protection.

danbrew
July 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
The point of the thread? As asked, what would you do? Even in those jurisdictions where OC is legal, I think it fair to say that it's relatively uncommon and uncommon situations require a hightened sense of situational awareness.

I think the first two responses hit the nail right on the head - that's what I'd do too.

Many responses assume some sort of agenda as well - and it appears that one of the moderators thinks that I was trying to out some sort of biased group or elitism here at THR. There's no need for me to out that, friends, it's fairly obvious when that behavior appears.

JRPeppers? You expect better of me? And why is that? Me thinks you've assumed a bit much about my post and my church going friends. The reason I mentioned church going friends is because that's where we all go after mass every Sunday. While one could say that senior member status is gained by making 100+ posts, one could also say that senior member status is gained by participating in the community. I'd like to think that my roughly 123 posts in the last four months or so have been mostly received by the community as just that - a member participating in the conversation.

There are some great pearls of wisdom in this thread for those that can see. For those that want to assume a hidden agenda, well, good luck with that post count thing.

:D

RP88
July 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
all I do is:

1) stare at the gun intently until I have identified it, both for the purpose of making sure I know my guns, and because I'm curious as to what people seem to prefer for carry.

then...

2) stop caring and go about my business.

jrpeppers
July 6, 2009, 03:39 PM
Me thinks you've assumed a bit much about my post and my church going friends. The reason I mentioned church going friends is because that's where we all go after mass every Sunday

Dude, I just call it like I see it.

Dain Bramage
July 6, 2009, 03:40 PM
I was in line at McDonald's a couple of years ago. The guy ahead of me was in western garb, and when he moved his arms, you could see a J-frame in a pancake OWB holster under his leather vest. Had his kid with him, and seemed like a genial fellow.

This was somewhat rare for western Washington, so I briefly thought about saying something like "way to go", but I thought better about disturbing him with his kid. So, I just a.) minded my own business.

A moment later, a lady walks up and addresses him. She has a sour look on her face and nods toward the gun,"is THAT really neccessary?" The guy reassures her that everything is okay because he is an off-duty police officer. I think a better response would have enlightened the lady about open carry in Washington state. But, she went away blissfully reassured.

dirt_j00
July 6, 2009, 03:45 PM
one could also say that senior member status is gained by participating in the community.

And that would be false. Senior status is gained by 100+ posts, no matter the content of the posts.

No offense, danbrew; my intent was to inform jrpeppers of this.

CoRoMo
July 6, 2009, 04:06 PM
http://pro.corbis.com/images/RF4473413.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B88930871-23E7-4C1E-A1FD-8B0081A40767%7D

:p

SuperNaut
July 6, 2009, 04:07 PM
This is paraphrased from this weekend.

I'm helping my boy throws rocks into the river, my wife is sitting on a log taking pics. A couple comes up the river with fishing gear and their toddler daughter in a ride-pack. He gets closer, "hey nice 1911."

"Thanks man, nice Ruger, what's your wife carrying?"

"A Smith."

"Bears out today."

"I've got my spray."

"Right on."

"Good hole up around the bend, good luck."

"Thanks."

Deltaboy
July 6, 2009, 04:16 PM
keep a eye on him and eat my food.

Seenterman
July 6, 2009, 04:19 PM
Dude is the gun really that BIG? That its honking big!
If thats the case it must be a Desert Eagle or other handgun im not familiar with, at that point I would walk up to the man Say Hello and ask him what the heck is that Hand Cannon you got strapped to your side?

Depending on his responce, I might ask him to see it and if we can go shooting one day. :)

I like big calibers.

theotherwaldo
July 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
-Check out his rig, then finish eating.

That is, if I were in a state where OC was legal.

Here in Texas I'd keep an eye on him and see if he's going to break any other laws.

Gamera
July 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
a guy that looks like me?

mind my own business.

a guy that doesn't look like me?

mind my own business.

HK G3
July 6, 2009, 04:47 PM
I choose option E - I'm the guy open carrying :neener:

Deanimator
July 6, 2009, 04:55 PM
Mind your own business and finish your strawberry waffle.
Open carry's perfectly legal in Ohio. If he's not committing an overt crime or acting in such a way that he constitutes a threat to others, it's nobody's business if he open carries.

Nobody has to LIKE that. They just have to recognize that it's the law and act accordingly. If they don't, there are substantial remedies in the civil law, whether the offender is a citizen or an LEO.

hometheaterman
July 6, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'd mind my own bussiness. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with open carrying and the only reason anyone acts nervous around it is because its not commonly practiced. If more people did it there would be less nervous people. I don't know about there but here there are several reasons to OC over CC some places. If they serve alcohol here in a resturaunt you can't legally carry concealed but you can legally open carry. Here anyone 18 and over that isn't a felon can open carry but you have to be 21 to apply for a concealed permit. Those are two of the more popular reasons some people do it. Do I think it's better to carry open over concealed? No. At the same time if some law obiding citizen wants to open carry he probably has a reason and I see no problem with it. If others do they should leave themselves not ask him to leave.

22-rimfire
July 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'd follow my wife and she would insist that we leave as quickly as possible.

Deanimator
July 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
I GUARANTEE you that there are as many or more people as much or more "uncomfortable" being around:

Black people
people wearing yarmulkas
people wearing hijabs
people wearing rainbow pins

Their "discomfort" is exactly that, THEIR discomfort. That discomfort has no force of law beyond their right to have it.

When I was going to DePaul University Law School in Chicago, a couple of young men standing outside of the cafeteria put on an ostentatious show of deep kissing. I didn't call the police. I didn't beat them. I didn't verbally harass them. What DID I do? I looked at something else. If you don't like two men kissing or one man openly carrying a handgun, look some place else.

In Ohio, you have the right to in public be Black, be a Jew, hold hands with another man, or to openly carry a handgun. You don't have to LIKE any of those things. You have no right to unlawfully interfere with them, whether you be a citizen or an LEO. Do so in full knowledge that the victim is going to come after your job if you're an LEO and your assets whether you are or not.

As we used to say in the Army, "let your conscience be your guide".

Gryffydd
July 6, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'd follow my wife and she would insist that we leave as quickly as possible.
Just out of curiosity, do you carry? How does she feel about that?

308win
July 6, 2009, 05:19 PM
Mind my own business; watch everyone else in the place watch him/her; enjoy the show when the po-po showed up.

22-rimfire
July 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you carry? How does she feel about that?

Yep, she doesn't like it. I don't carry all the time and she would never know when or if I'm carrying.

She just gave me the n-th degree for buying a regular Daisy Red Ryder BB gun to shoot in the back yard with the kids.

Added: IF I were by myself at the waffle house, I'd keep an eye on the person and make a quick decision if he/she signifies a threat to me. If it did not feel right to me, I'd leave. Otherwise, I would finish my meal, pay, and leave.

bigione
July 6, 2009, 05:24 PM
On quick trips to small local towns(like there is a big city in SD) I sometimes oc, discreetly. Once in th grocery store and after I left, a lady asked my daughter-in-law.,"Did you know that man had a gun?" Her answer, ah that's my father-in-law. He always carries. If he looked like he was in a decent mood, i would say Hi and try for a conversation. Might ease others fears and I might learn something.

Deanimator
July 6, 2009, 05:42 PM
I don't like indoor open carrying. It's pretentious unless you give off vibes of not being aggressive,
In Virginia, if you're in a restaurant with a liquor license, it gives off "vibes" of obeying the law, since it's unlawful to carry a concealed weapon in a restaurant with a liquor license.

Gryffydd
July 6, 2009, 05:48 PM
I don't like indoor open carrying. It's pretentious unless you give off vibes of not being aggressive,
:confused: "vibes of not being aggressive" :confused: You mean like...ordering pancakes? How does being young or strong make one aggressive any more than being old and frail makes someone not aggressive?
Aggression is an action, not an age or level of physical fitness.
I will not appreciate the display of government force while I'm trying to eat. There's no way for me to confirm that he's not a cop. A conversation will not go well.
This is the kind of attitude that gives us lovers of civil liberties a bad name. Cops have every bit as much right to open carry while off duty as the rest of us do. If they're on duty, what do you care what they're wearing?
disgust in open display of force OUT OF UNIFORM
Who gets to decide what a uniform is or isn't? Are you saying plainclothes detectives shouldn't carry openly? Do they have to be in full dress uniform? SWAT gear?

rp4130
July 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
all I do is:
1) stare at the gun intently until I have identified it, both for the purpose of making sure I know my guns, and because I'm curious as to what people seem to prefer for carry.

I have to second that. One of my favorite things to so is try to recognize firearms that I see. It's fun and educational!

bababooey32
July 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
I will not appreciate the display of government force while I'm trying to eat.

Huh?

A police officer carrying a gun is a "display of government force"? Good grief. If the officer was in full SWAT gear with a riot shield and gass mask, you might have a point. But an officer (uniformed or noT) with a sidearm is hardly anything more than common sense.

If the answer is yes, then my disgust in open display of force OUT OF UNIFORM will be confirmed.

The only thing confirmed in this post is your - oh never mind.

PTK
July 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
There was a guy OCing at the indian buffet I went to last week. My response was to get another serving of chicken tikka masala and some more naan.

What's the point of this thread, to try to find some underlying prejudice among THR members?
Uh... did the guy have a cane? Do you live in Colorado? I go to an Indian buffet and open carry there all the time. :D

crebralfix
July 6, 2009, 05:55 PM
I'd either mind my own business or start a conversation by asking about the weapon.

Rockwell1
July 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm really begining to wonder if we didn't get a bunch of antis logging in here right after the election

Straight Shooter
July 6, 2009, 06:03 PM
You saw wyocarp at the local Waffle House??? :neener:

I'd say "Hay man, how's it going?"

CoRoMo
July 6, 2009, 06:26 PM
unless you give off vibes of not being aggressive

http://open.salon.com/files/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_11238799250.jpg

Gryffydd
July 6, 2009, 06:30 PM
CoRoMo, that's the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks.
I was just in downtown Olympia yesterday, and I think I may have seen them ;)

Mags
July 6, 2009, 06:59 PM
Just really wouldn't care either way.

Sniper X
July 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
Criminals don't open carry, even civillians and non gun people should know that. I'd check out what kind of gun he had and if a 1911 probably walk by so he could see my 1911 being OC'd.

BP Hunter
July 6, 2009, 07:13 PM
CoRoMo,
Wahahahahaha! That's a good one. He's carrying under his beard.:neener:

ChaoSS
July 6, 2009, 07:25 PM
I used to know a guy who open carried regularly, until he got his concealed permit.

Nobody ever noticed, at least, not the type of people who actually cared.

Some security guards at places that didn't like that, but there was never any sort of disturbance, or people watching him uneasily, the majority of people who are afraid of guns are too dense to notice them.

altitude_19
July 6, 2009, 07:37 PM
What if I'm "maybe 22"? Tell me what makes me pre-disposed to be a criminal again? <expletive deleted> :mad: I love the idea of open carry. People will never get used to something they're not around. The more RESPONSIBLE open carry you see, the greater the prevailing understanding of firearms is in our country (people fear what they don't understand). I would do everything I can to make sure the guy doesn't feel alienated. Strike up a conversation...ask him to go to the range sometime...make him part of the flock, not the lone wolf.

ArmedBear
July 6, 2009, 07:43 PM
some more naan

No matter WHAT happened, I'd want to get some more naan. That **** is addictive!

WRT the Waffle House, the first thing I'd do is ask, "Why in HELL am I in a Waffle House?"

Then I'd probably compliment the guy on his gun, if it's something nice or unique.

When I see someone carrying, I usually look at the gun to see what they have. Usually, it's nothing special.

spartywrx
July 6, 2009, 07:47 PM
Well I'd do what I did when I saw someone OC'ing in a Blockbuster in Detroit.

Stand on the other side of the isle and try to see what he's carrying

kda
July 6, 2009, 08:29 PM

+1 Great reply. No way I can add to wisdom like that.

Hanzerik
July 6, 2009, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't say a thing, except maybe "Nice Gun", and would more then likely be carrying my own pistol either Open or Concealed.

marv
July 6, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm a Hoosier. My nearest Waffle House is in KY. OC is ok in both states. I have noticed more OC on my side of the river. Doesn't bother me. I have several handguns but my full time carry is a P3AT in the pocket. That way I don't have to answer all those dummass questions.

colorado_handgunner
July 6, 2009, 11:46 PM
Same as always, take stock of all aspects of the situation, then stay and ignore or leave, whichever seemed appropriate.

bensdad
July 7, 2009, 12:12 AM
I would fill my pants. Then I would have a stroke. Then I would scream and run. This would be followed by more screaming and running. Finally, I would pull the fire alarm, dial 911 and throw myself on top of the nearest child.

Does the OP realize that OC is fine in much of the U.S.?

thub
July 7, 2009, 12:49 AM
I bet you would have alot of well be haved people and kids in that place. In fact when I grew up in Colo. that was perfectly legal and should be everywhere. Sure would make alot of thugs stop and think about pulling something in that establishment. Oh but of course, I forgot the thugs wouldn't have guns because they had to do background checks on them when they went to cabelas to buy guns. I forgot about that.

ChCx2744
July 7, 2009, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't say anything. If some anti was in the store and commented about it, I would scoff at the commentor and grin with the OC'er. It is his/her right as it is anyone else's. (Provided they are legally allowed to do so)

rondog
July 7, 2009, 02:48 AM
I'd probably congratulate him on his intestinal fortitude, and buy his dinner. Unless he placed a big order. I'm not against OC, just don't have the nerve to do it myself. I'm just happy I can CC.

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 7, 2009, 03:02 AM
I would smile at the exercising of rights, maybe check what kind of gun it is, and go about my business. The carrying of a firearm, open or otherwise, is not something odd or extraordinary. It's not something to gawk at or make a big deal about. I'd be about as interested in it as I am when I see someone with the same kind of phone or same car as me. Basically think "oh that's neat" and keep going.

evan price
July 7, 2009, 04:18 AM
Ask the waitress for a refill on my lemonade and some more of the apple butter for my raisin toast. I'm enjoying a cheese-steak omelette and hash browns scattered, smothered, covered. I'm probably OC'ing, too.

Davek1977
July 7, 2009, 05:28 AM
The mere fact someone has a gun doesn't instantly alarm me in and of itself. I'd mind my own business until the situation dictated I do otherwise. Until someone is directly threatened or something otherwise demands my attention, it really is none of my damn busioness if someone is legally carrying a gun and/or why.

rmodel65
July 7, 2009, 05:36 AM
seeing how id be OCing in the waffle house after church......

actually i normally go to the huddle house if im going to a place like that lol

Blackbeard
July 7, 2009, 07:55 AM
I'd probably run screaming for the door - but that's only because I just realized I'm in a Waffle House.

loop
July 7, 2009, 08:02 AM
Lot of fuss over nothing.

I've lived i the boonies most of my life. I recall walking into a bar at about 10 a.m. on a Sunday and having to step over several sleeping dogs. Everyone at the bar was OC. The law here is no dogs or guns in bars. But, we were about 100 miles from the nearest pay phone.

The funny thing was that the bar couldn't sell booze until noon om Sunday so everyone was eating breakfast. We sat down and ate, too. When we got back in the truck we strapped on out pistols. I've never been shy about OC since. It is what an honest man does.

For those who are afraid of someone who is OC, you probably have questions in your own mind about right and wrong. I just TG I don't have such issues.

I also TG I live in a free state in a free country.

I OC in church and at the bank and anywhere else I want (except the local saloon, because that is illegal). If it makes the hairs on the back of your neck prickle, that is your problem, not mine.

If there is a sign that says "No guns," I go elsewhere.

bababooey32
July 7, 2009, 10:09 AM
Blackbeard +1

moooose102
July 7, 2009, 10:19 AM
nothing. it is completely legal here, so why raise a fuss. the only difference between me and him would be mine is covered by a peice of cloth.

chuckusaret
July 7, 2009, 10:23 AM
Nothing.......the only difference between me and him would be mine is covered by a peice of cloth

Correct.........

CoRoMo
July 7, 2009, 11:03 AM
What would you do?

Suppose you're sitting in the local waffle house Chinese Buffet at 9:00a 12:30pm one Sunday morning after church with your family and some guy comes in with a big honken' gun watch strapped to his leg wrist. Open carry Clockwork is perfectly legal at this particular time and place, although many of the church going families glance over at this gun watch and there is general unease within the waffle house Chinese Buffet.

Get it?

Whether the guy's wearing a watch or a gun... I don't care.

...there is general unease...

That's the only problem I see, but it's not my problem.
Someone needs to grow up.

Vern Humphrey
July 7, 2009, 11:09 AM
Quote:
...there is general unease...

That's the only problem I see, but it's not my problem.
Someone needs to grow up.
That "general unease" probably comes from eating the waffles/egg foo yong.:D

CoRoMo
July 7, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hee Hee Hee :D

I had to make a few corrections to accurately reflect my Sundays.
No Waffle House for me... maybe Cracker Barrel. Mmmmmmm!

Deanimator
July 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
I had to make a few corrections to accurately reflect my Sundays.
No Waffle House for me... maybe Cracker Barrel. Mmmmmmm!
Michael's in Rocky River, the place I'm mostly likely to go for breakfast has a liquor license, so I can't carry there in the first place. I don't know if the Bob Evans in Westlake is posted or not, even though they don't have a liquor license.

Hopefully, all of that liquor license foolishness will go away in the coming year.

jackdanson
July 7, 2009, 12:32 PM
5 pages!!?

The first answer was the only answer.

Mind my own business.

jackstinson
July 7, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hopefully, all of that liquor license foolishness will go away in the coming year.
Every year lately things improve in Ohio......Hopefully 2009 will not be an exception.
Although Waffle House doesn't fall under the liquor blanket and the ones near me are all posted "no firearms" anyway.
But that's okay because one nearest me has two rental-men with pepper spray to keep me safe :D

paintballdude902
July 7, 2009, 12:51 PM
me i might go have a word with the guy

not telling him people were nervous but have a friendly gun owner to gun owner talk ask what kind it is the caliber ect say thats pretty cool

then id say mines in an iwb :)

edit:

wait ....... awful waffle serves food before midnight?

wow ive only been in there between the hours of 12-6am

always the place to go when the bars stop serving so you can get sum food

either there or ihop but our ihops sanitation score is like an 85 so i dont go there a whole lot

Rockwell1
July 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
I would watch the guy to see if
A.) He got harassed by the cops.
B.) A bad guy beat him up and took his gun.
C.) If someone robbed the place and shot him first.
D.) All the antis in the restaraunt called their congressman en masse to get stricter gun laws passed.

Like all the antis here say will happen every time this topic comes up.

dirt_j00
July 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
Now that was a good post.

Gryffydd
July 7, 2009, 01:32 PM
LOL, I got a kick out of that one Rockwell. It's funny, the only one that can actually be proven to happen with any level of regularity is A. The rest is the same conjecture and imagination they keep accusing open carriers of...

jhco50
July 7, 2009, 02:04 PM
Mind my own business, because I may be sitting there with my own.

Why would gunowners be nervous about other gunowners. We are in the same fraturnity.

Vern Humphrey
July 7, 2009, 02:23 PM
Whenever CCW is debated in any state, the antis always come up with wild-eyed, sky-is-falling "predictions" -- "The murder rate will go up!!" "There will be shootouts over parking spaces!" "It will be like the Wild West!!" (Conveniently not mentioning there was less violent crime in the Wild West than there is today in the Civilized East.)

And none of those "predictions" comes true.

The time has come when it is no longer intellectually honest to predict what will happen if a state adopts CCW, open carry, allows guns in restaurants where liquor is served, or in state parks, or does away with mandatory training. We have states that have done all those things, and the only intellectually honest approach is to report what did happen when those laws were passed.

Nothing happened. No shootouts in parking lots, no criminals attacking people openly carrying, no people doing all sorts of wierd things out of ignorance.

CoRoMo
July 7, 2009, 03:38 PM
Vern... wait a minute. Are you telling me that these gun toting Americans are not apt to use those handguns when they come across another individual with which they have a conflict? Wow. Who would'a thought.:p

Vern Humphrey
July 7, 2009, 03:49 PM
Vern... wait a minute. Are you telling me that these gun toting Americans are not apt to use those handguns when they come across another individual with which they have a conflict? Wow. Who would'a thought.
When the Florida CCW bill passed, the Miami Chief of Police was on TV throwing a hissy fit. Among other things, he vowed his department would keep book on all the unlawful shootings by CCW holders.

A year later, he was interviewed again, and they asked him, "How many shootings like that have you recorded?"

He scowled and said, "We don't have any."

You could tell he was POed. Dang those gun toters!! They wanted to shoot it out over parking spaces, but they weren't doing it, just to make him look like a fool.

(Hey, Chief! We don't have to make you look like a fool. You seem to be handling that chore all by yourself.);)

SSN Vet
July 7, 2009, 03:54 PM
my lifes experiences have led me to following conclusions:

1. I'm more concerned about an out of place or criminal looking person, than the guy open carrying with a thigh holster.

2. large in size, does not imply criminal looking.

3. people with criminal intent our not likely to either open carry or legally concealed carry.

SSN Vet
July 7, 2009, 03:59 PM
We are in the same fraturnity.

Sorry, I was never a "Frat boy" back in my college days.... but I'll suggest the following....

joining Pi Betta Kappa or the Masonic Lodge puts you in fraternity...

purchasing a firearm does not

obtw.... it's fraternity

DocCas
July 7, 2009, 05:36 PM
SSN Vet saidjoining Pi Betta Kappa or the Masonic Lodge puts you in fraternity...

purchasing a firearm does not

obtw.... it's fraternityOh, and, also, by the way, it is "Phi." :D Sorry, couldn't resist!

ArmedBear
July 7, 2009, 05:39 PM
Undoubtedly he was referring to the planet Fraturn.

Gryffydd
July 7, 2009, 05:39 PM
Oh, and, also, by the way, it is "Phi." Sorry, couldn't resist!
Isn't Pi Beta Kappa a nerdy math "fraternity" :D
Oh, and it's Beta

runrabbitrun
July 7, 2009, 05:44 PM
All you gun toting, waffle eating, right wing extremist are making me hungry
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/tlc1223be/smileylol.gif

Gryffydd
July 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry, something related to Waffle House made you hungry? Are you sure you don't have hunger and nausea confused? :D

TEDDY
July 7, 2009, 06:05 PM
I see this site is filled with young kids.that have not lived in a free country.
I was going hunting and my car broke down.I grabbed my G43 and bag and hoped a bus.on the way a young man got on with his shotgun and rood for a few miles got of walket to a fence crossed and I watched as he reloaded.we watched as it was a break in the trip.I got of the bus at the resturant in maine and called and had myself a cup of coffee while I waited.by ride came and I was driven to the farm.no one gave a second thought.it all fell apart after kennedy.so blame it all on the kennedys.:rolleyes::uhoh::eek:

Lou McGopher
July 7, 2009, 06:08 PM
Also consider that you are lawfully carrying. Or that you are not carrying.

Also consider that you are ordering blueberry waffles and trying to decide on bacon or sausage. Or that you are not ordering blueberry waffles.

CoRoMo
July 7, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sorry genius. We already did the Bacon vs. Sausage thread. Sausage won.

Sorta like the .45acp vs. 9mm threads... sausage always wins.

ArmedBear
July 7, 2009, 06:25 PM
The law here is no dogs or guns in bars.

LOL

I was sitting at a table in a bar (really a saloon -- it dates to the 19th Century with few changes) having dinner and a beer, with my wife and my two buddies Smith and Wesson, when we heard some yapping. Someone's chihuahua had walked over from the bar (meaning the thing along the wall with a bartender behind it), and was peeing on the doorway. The waitress was not happy with the dog's owner.

In Idaho, I don't think anything remotely illegal was happening.:D

CoRoMo
July 7, 2009, 06:28 PM
Someone's chihuahua had walked over from the bar...

Sounds like the beginning of a joke.:D

So... was the yapping coming from the chihuahua, his owner, or the waitress?:neener:

runrabbitrun
July 7, 2009, 06:57 PM
U guys R 2 funny some days. :D

paintballdude902
July 8, 2009, 01:02 AM
why doesnt everyone oc in the awful waffle? id be afraid my eggs were gonna try and eat me dang right id have a gun :)

Gypsy Pilot
July 8, 2009, 01:39 AM
Just the appearance of a waffle house makes me gag, sooo, never eaten there. Oh, about OC...er, nothin'. File the info for situational awareness and enjoy my meal, just like I'd expect folks to do when I'm using the VA tuck at the local Mexican restaurant. The most I usually get is a quick glance (that could by my dashing good looks :D), but I'm sure the servers are conversing about it (the gun that is). I can't tell, my Spanish is too poor.

GP

AWorthyOpponent
July 8, 2009, 01:49 AM
I think that although you cant open carry here in florida, if it was legal, id ask if he knew of any wal-marts that had ammo...

STILL THE CHEAPEST FMJ AROUND!!!

DoubleTapDrew
July 8, 2009, 01:58 AM
My general unease would come from the sudden feeling of being underdressed. Here I am with this tupperware hidden under my clothes when I could have worn a "nice gun" in an OWB rig...Oh well...I guess I'll have the buttermilk pancakes...

rondog
July 8, 2009, 02:59 AM
I can honestly say that I've still NEVER seen anybody OC'ing in public. I've probably been near someone once or twice and didn't know it, but I've never actually seen it happen yet. Of course, I spend most of my time in downtown Denver, and OC is against the law there. Boulder too. The rest of Colorado is supposed to be OC legal.

Rockwell1
July 8, 2009, 03:44 AM
I amazed, no one would have a pecan waffle?

Gungle George
July 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
I'd buy him a cup of coffee:D

Cheers,

Gungle George

CoRoMo
July 8, 2009, 10:25 AM
rondog

I can honestly say that I've still NEVER seen anybody OC'ing in public. I've probably been near someone once or twice and didn't know it, but I've never actually seen it happen yet. Of course, I spend most of my time in downtown Denver, and OC is against the law there. Boulder too. The rest of Colorado is supposed to be OC legal.
Dude, you need to get outta the metro-area more! I've seen plenty OC'ers over the years. Then again, I was at a gas station out by Laporte when a couple cowboys rode up on horseback. They were driving a small herd along Hwy 287. They dismounted, tied their horses up to the bike rack and came inside. Each had a Blackhawk on their hip. That's when I knew Colorado was home.

Ian Sean
July 8, 2009, 10:45 AM
:what: Same here CoRoMo, my first experience with OC was at the age of 7 or 8 or so while visiting family in Colorado.

Seeing it more and more here in Pennsylvania, OC advocate here. Don't open carry often, but I do sometimes. Depends on the weather and what I am wearing.

DocCas
July 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
Isn't Pi Beta Kappa a nerdy math "fraternity" :D
Oh, and it's Beta
Yes, but you must have a 3.14159 grade point average to join. :D

308win
July 8, 2009, 01:50 PM
Yes, but you must have a 3.14159 grade point average to join.
I thought youjust gave them a slice of pi.:D

bearmgc
July 8, 2009, 03:47 PM
I see open carry often in Wyoming where I live, more often during hunting season. No big deal. However, you are not allowed to carry open or concealed in a bar, or state, municipal or Federal building.

twinsdad
July 8, 2009, 04:06 PM
Why do anything? It is legal here to open carry. People need to mind thier own business.

DocCas
July 8, 2009, 04:16 PM
I thought youjust gave them a slice of pi.:D
Just give them 9.8695877281% of the Pi. (You really have to be a math nerd to figure that one out!)

<signed> The Old Math Nerd. :D

308win
July 8, 2009, 04:19 PM
Other than an on duty LEO I don't recall ever seeing anyone OCing in Ohio. It isn't illegal here but if you do OC you will have an encounter with the local LEA(s) if someone calls it in; and, if nothing else happens, you may very well be charged with inducing panic. I just really don't want to have to deal with one or more local LEAs responding to an 'armed person walking around in the Park Center Kroger' call - good way to get shot.

Carl N. Brown
July 8, 2009, 04:21 PM
Mind your own business and finish your strawberry waffle

Just as when a guy was open carry in a holster one night at Walmart, shopping with his wife or girlfriend. No big deal to me at that time. Years earlier, may be it would have been startling. Until the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit allowed carry for self defense, Tennessee was one of the states where it was illegal to carry outside your own property, open or concealed. Virginia was an open carry state at that time (now allows concealed carry with permit). Anyhow, I now have had time to get used to seeing legal carry without problems.

DocCas
July 8, 2009, 04:34 PM
Other than an on duty LEO I don't recall ever seeing anyone carrying a cell phone in Ohio. It isn't illegal here but if you do carry a cell phone you will have an encounter with the local LEA(s) if someone calls it in; and, if nothing else happens, you may very well be charged with inducing panic. I just really don't want to have to deal with one or more local LEAs responding to a 'person walking around in the Park Center Kroger with a cell phone' call - good way to get shot.

Yep makes perfect sense to me.

Open Carry of Fire Arm = NOT Illegal.
Open Carry of a Cell Phone = NOT Illegal.

zoom6zoom
July 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'd give him the secret handsign and ask what his screenname on OCDO is.

Gryffydd
July 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
Just give them 9.8695877281% of the Pi.
But pie comes in wedges. It's cake that comes in squares :D
Edit...somehow I missed that % symbol :o

308win
July 8, 2009, 04:59 PM
Just give them 9.8695877281% of the Pi.

Yeah, pi r round.:D

TheFallGuy
July 8, 2009, 05:08 PM
I would approach him and talk to him about his gun. What kind of gun is it? Is it reliable? How do you like that caliber? Is that holster comfortable? I would do this anytime of day, just about anywhere. Most law abiding gun owners are happy to discuss guns especially if they open carry. If not, there is something fishy or the guy just wants to be left a lone.

Skillet
July 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
who cares?
no matter what the situation you can't do anything about it anyways.
it's legal, and if he is minding his own business then mind yours.
if you did something, you might end up like you put a whole shoe store in your mouth.
just let it go.

jhco
July 8, 2009, 05:27 PM
should you tell every person that drives a sports car not to drive in your town becuase you don't care for the way other people look at his car?

Why make an issue out of what is perfectly legal.

TROLL

expvideo
July 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
To the OP:

I have the same answer to all of those situations. I'd mind my own business and not think much of it. It doesn't seem weird or alarming to me. I've OC'd before and so has my dad. It's not illegal, so what's the big deal?

denfoote
July 9, 2009, 12:19 AM
I'd ask him what he was carrying.
This is Arizona.
A proud open carry state since 14 Feb 1912.

Officers'Wife
July 9, 2009, 12:25 AM
Not enough information,

If the person is legally carrying, the weapon is secured and s/he is making no moves to bring the weapon into use it's really none of my concern.

In the part of Indiana I grew up, it was common to see guys come into the coffee shop on Sunday morning wearing huge knives during hunting season. Common enough nobody so much as raised an eyebrow. There were a couple of guys that would go into the truck stop on I-65 wearing BP revolvers which upset the tourists but the locals went on about the business of eating their meals. No one has been stabbed in the coffee shops that I've heard of and the only shooting at the truck stop was a man intent on evil that had his weapon hidden under his coat.

By the same token, a number of farmers and factory workers carry pliers in a holster on their belts everywhere they go. None, to my knowledge, have used them to remove the bolts from restaurant tables. The tools do not make the workman, it's the work the man does. If the man need not be feared, his tools are not a menace. If the man is to be feared, the tools he uses is irrelevant.

Selena

ArfinGreebly
July 9, 2009, 01:26 AM
Well put.

Thanks.

model of 1905
July 9, 2009, 01:57 AM
For all those of you that say you would walk up and ask me about my gun, or if I wanted to go shooting sometime or just say hey that's cool man...

I open carry alot and I'd prefer you just mind your own business.

I get this sometimes and am always polite but make it clear that I'm not looking for new friends. Matter of fact, if someone approaches me about my OCing, I go from yellow to orange. Just a word to the wise.

Valkman
July 9, 2009, 02:19 AM
The OP needs to live in my town - OC is completely legal, even at the PO, and is seen often except for the casinos. I don't know if it's allowed in the brothels. :)

Rockwell1
July 9, 2009, 03:47 PM
I'd prefer you just mind your own business.

One of my biggest pet peeves, I'm not wearing a Cabella's hat because I want to talk fishing with some random stranger. Nor did I put on my UNL shirt just to piss you off CU Buffs fan (and if I'm wearing my Buffs hat I DON'T want to talk about Ralphie) The fact that I'm open Carrying a fire arm does NOT mean I'm on display for your edification.

Matter of fact, if someone approaches me about my OCing, I go from yellow to orange. Just a word to the wise.

I'm like that about any random stranger that tries to get in my bubble

kilo729
July 9, 2009, 03:51 PM
Give `em a quick glance, if he notices flash an award winning smile, and finish my chocolate chip eggos.

buck00
July 9, 2009, 05:21 PM
I did encounter a guy open carrying (non-LEO) and I was surprised because I've never seen it in my area before.

I actually had to resist the urge to comment/admire his 1911. I tried to act like I didn't even notice it. ;)

thedavemyster
July 9, 2009, 06:38 PM
When I was in Israel helping out their Air Force, I learned an interesting perspective on guns. Over there, open carry is "the way."

I asked a few guys at the air base about a guy I had seen in the local bank, wearing no uniform, but with a Glock stuck in an IWB open carry holster. Their response was, "oh, he was just a regular citizen. An honest man wears his gun openly for all to see...only criminals and terrorists try to hide their guns."

I was staying in Jerusalem, and everywhere I went, people were openly carrying.

From the army girl with her M16 next to me at the outdoor pizza place, to the Jerusalem militia patroling in pairs with their M1 carbines, to the ordinary dudes walking around with their Glocks (a very popular gun over there; they told me because it holds up well in a desert environment), it was an interesting place, and not a place where you see a lot of street crime. I felt quite comfy with there being guns in sight everywhere; I only wish we had more people who felt the same way over here. =)

Erik M
July 10, 2009, 12:01 AM
If the man need not be feared, his tools are not a menace. If the man is to be feared, the tools he uses is irrelevant.

Selena
That is a brilliant.

I like seeing individuals excercise thier right to open carry.

mokin
July 10, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'd check the parking lot. Did he drive the dually with the horse trailer or the crew cab with the CAS sticker?

22-rimfire
July 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
The person open carrying at a Waffle House is probably just taking reasonable precautions.... sometimes the stuff they feed ya "ain't dead".

jrod014
July 10, 2009, 02:00 PM
chicken tikka masala is awesome!!!

rnr4me
July 10, 2009, 03:27 PM
I remember seeing someone OC'ing here in Colorado. But I don't remember where. But it was a year ago. Or maybe last month.

I guess I just minded my own business. And it didn't make that much of an impression on me.

Dogbite
July 10, 2009, 06:08 PM
A guy open carrying a Glock walked into the place I used to work. I was curious, and asked him how he liked being in law enforcement. He replied that he was not in law enforcement. I said, "I noticed your Glock". He said, "oh yeah, I have a carry permit". I said "I do too, but I conceal it". He then went on to show me a Georgia firearms permit, and said, "where does it say you must conceal the firearm on this permit"? I said, humm, "OK, well, have you ever had any problem with the public, or the police"? He said, "no, I have only had one problem, I was asked to leave Walmart one time". We talked a little more about guns and such, and he bought his items and left.

I have no problem with someone open carrying their weapon, hell, were I was born, up until 10 or 15 years ago, everyone open carried, and there were no problems. I would rather conceal mine though, due to tactics. Why would you want the criminal to know that your the one to shoot/attack first?

Dogbite
July 10, 2009, 06:28 PM
For all those of you that say you would walk up and ask me about my gun, or if I wanted to go shooting sometime or just say hey that's cool man...

I open carry alot and I'd prefer you just mind your own business.

I get this sometimes and am always polite but make it clear that I'm not looking for new friends. Matter of fact, if someone approaches me about my OCing, I go from yellow to orange. Just a word to the wise.

That's kind of like wearing bunny ears, and getting offended when someone comments. You had to know that when you open carried, there would be something said, good or bad...Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but the whole "don't say anything to me" deal is kind of silly.

pharmer
July 10, 2009, 07:21 PM
"Mind my own business." Cut-and-pasted from the second post in this thread. Joe

BMF500
July 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
Say "Yo, that's sweet lookin' hog leg you got on your thigh. What 'cha workin' with there?".

Seriously, if the guy was across the room, do nothing but eat my meal. If he was sitting close to me, inquire about the piece.

highbrass
July 11, 2009, 12:13 AM
If it were legal here and the person seemed to be behaving normally I'd not be bothered. It's not legal here though, even conceal carry is hard to get here so it would get a lot of attention and cops probably would be called.

Erik M
July 11, 2009, 12:52 AM
What would you do?

Suppose you're sitting in the local waffle house at 9:00a one Sunday morning after church with your family

* Go have a word with the fella and let him know that folks are nervous

I'd be hella nervous to be eating there that early. Id warn of 'accidental discharges' after his meal and give him the rest of the bottle of concealed carry rolaids that i keep handy.

.the hash borwns and cheese are a tasty yet vicious combination

flrfh213
July 11, 2009, 01:39 AM
HAY.... i dont know the secret hand shake.. i was never told bout it.... i want my money back.....dohhhh GUNNN....oh, wait thats me..

model of 1905
July 11, 2009, 02:08 AM
Silly? Ok, when you see me and my OC, come tell me that its silly. I'll explain my position to you so that you can easily understand it. Deal?

Redneck with a 40
July 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
As long as he's not acting weird, I'd probably approach him and ask him what gun he is carrying, strike up a conversation.:) As long as the guy is just being normal, minding his own business, it doesn't bother me.

Dogbite
July 11, 2009, 02:43 PM
Model of 1905, I don't think your OCing is silly, I think that's great. I think the whole, "I'm a bada@@, so you shouldn't even say hello to me" is silly. Don't get all bent, nobody is challenging your manhood, it just struck me as funny.

wtr100
July 12, 2009, 08:49 AM
here in IL the poor SOB would likely be hauled into jail post-haste

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 09:07 AM
I would probably ask them what gun it was and learn more about firearms in general. That or ignore.

scythefwd
July 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'd probably do this
"Excuse me, that gun is absolutely freaking huge, what is it and how's the kick?"

" It's a beautiful piece, enjoy your day" and then go ask my wife if I can get one too :)

yeti
July 12, 2009, 11:56 AM
"Pass the syrup, please."

CCWB
July 12, 2009, 12:24 PM
****!
I'd eat my grub and think "that dudes either got some big honkin nads, or he's about to make a really bad move" either way, I wouldn't look at him any different than someone possibly CCing. At least I'd see this guy going for what is certain to be a gun, and not just his bilfold.

NavyLCDR
July 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
I'd eat my grub and think "that dudes either got some big honkin nads, or he's about to make a really bad move" either way, I wouldn't look at him any different than someone possibly CCing. At least I'd see this guy going for what is certain to be a gun, and not just his bilfold.

So, if you thought someone was possibly CCing you would: "think 'that dudes either got some big honkin nads, or he's about to make a really bad move'"

What do you have against people carrying guns? Why do you question their motives at all? Are you posting on the correct forum here?

amprecon
July 12, 2009, 12:56 PM
Suppose you're sitting in the local waffle house at 9:00a one Sunday morning after church......

Now I don't know about the rest of you but I was usually at church at 9am or 10am on Saturday morning when the service usually started and it was over around noon.

Either way, I'd be impressed and want to go put my gun on.

AK kind of guy
July 12, 2009, 01:35 PM
I would do nothing i am always happy to see someone exercising their 2A right

AVESguy
July 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
I, too, would be compelled to ask him what he is carrying and if he likes it, etc. and if he is willing, get into a conversation about the various pros and cons of different pistols and calibers.....I'm hopeless....

razorback2003
July 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
People in TN can open or conceal carry with a permit. You need a permit to do even openly carry. I wouldn't care if i saw someone openly carry because I have seen someone openly carry at Bass Pro in Memphis and at a bank. Both were clean cut middle aged gentlemen going about their business. I have no idea if they were off duty LEO's or had permits. I didn't worry because they weren't bothering anyone.

I have seen the same thing near Phoenix, Arizona, where it is legal without a license, about ten years ago. Again, no cause for alarm because two middle aged men were just going through stores passing time (probably their wives were shopping).

If someone wants to openly carry and it is legal, that is fine by me. If they are in a state, like Florida or Texas where it is illegal, I probably still wouldn't care or call the police as long as someone wasn't bothering people. None of my business. Most threatening people aren't going to openly carry a handgun in a nice holster.

FFMedic
July 12, 2009, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't care much myself. MYOB

In the past though when I have OC'ed in "populated" areas the police asked me if I was scared, where I was going, why I was carrying a gun and if I had my CCW.

I answered no, home, I want to and no.

FFMedic

dkk73
July 12, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am totally offended by the OP.

Who's to say I'm eating a waffle? This reveals a bias against egg dishes, and non-ridged breakfast cakes. If you think eating waffles is the way to go because all the other "sheep" are doing it, then you don't deserve your freedom or your breakfast. :cuss:

It's my right to eat pancakes instead. If you want me to eat waffles because that's your idea of a perfect breakfast, that's your opinion. If you want to take my pancakes, I say "molon labe!". You can take them out of my cold, dead, sticky hands.

Why does this guy troll by asking about waffles? Remember what board you're on, buddy. I would just tell the guy, "Nice short stack" and let him know I was part of the club by making a face at the waffle iron.

I am rigid and outraged and I am right.

Wait, what was the question again? If you were actually trying to have a serious discussion, I think the opportunity faded several pages of posts ago. :(

I was just in a gun store a few days ago and an otherwise reasonable person was having a discussion about his feeling threatened out in public because someone was wearing baggy pants.... Come on, it's at least reasonable to discuss perceptions related to OC. Give the OP a break.

By the way, yes I am pro-OC, CC, trunk carry, what have you. I'd be happy if guns were *way* more "normalized" most places. I'd just like to think we can not turn every thread into a straw-man attack on things we don't like.

akodo
July 14, 2009, 04:21 AM
If anyone at my table was concerned, I'd say 'Well, what he is doing is legal, besides, he passed a background check so really you have a lot less to worry about from him than you do from the guys washing dishes in the back of the kitchen...lots of guys fresh out of prison get jobs like that'

Glockman17366
July 14, 2009, 06:18 AM
This is kind of a silly thread...

If he's open carrying, he's probably not a threat. If he's making others nervous (just by having the firearm), that's their problem. If he's acting like a jerk "gangsta", I would hope the resturant management calls the law on him.

If he's being cool and just enjoying his meal, I'd probably comment on his firearm (brand, how he likes it...things like that).

Otherwise, I'd eat my meal and go about my business...

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 14, 2009, 06:42 AM
I'd run to the bathroom quickly, because I just doo-doo'ed in my pants

Really though, if he's abiding by the law I'd pay him no mind.

Titan6
July 14, 2009, 09:44 AM
But he could do somthin' dangerous! Does that not give you the willys?

ezypikns
July 14, 2009, 10:26 AM
Over a week now and this is still going on. You'd think that everything that could be said has already been said.

Is OC a hot button topic or what?

Could this be a new "High Road" record for longevity?

Volley on.

CoRoMo
July 14, 2009, 10:48 AM
I don't think there has been much debate in this thread at all. The only hot button in this topic was the OP notion that unease could be created in a public setting from a gun owner. To which, I roll my eyes.:rolleyes:

Gryffydd
July 14, 2009, 10:48 AM
But he could do somthin' dangerous! Does that not give you the willys?

Nothing any more dangerous than when he drove his car there.

2nd 41
July 14, 2009, 10:54 AM
Suppose you're sitting in the local waffle house at 9:00a one Sunday morning after church
If the manager tells him breakfast was stopped being served 1 second ago...duck.
Remember Falling Down:eek:

CCWB
July 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
NAVYLt
I CC all they time, where I'm legally able to. I also open carry if I'm required by law to where I'm not legally able to. So why would I have a problem with carrying at all?

If anyone is carrying, OC or CC and I can see it, I'm thinking they have the perfect right too. I'm not LEO and I'm not going to call the cops on em'. Situational awareness applies to the entire situation.

Have another round of waffles on me. Can someone pass the joe?

LRaccuracy
July 14, 2009, 05:11 PM
Since no one around here carry's openly even thought it is legal, I would think it is strange. In some counties in Ohio, law enforcement treat open carry people like criminals. You know that old rule that cops have, "See a gun, pull your gun." That happens in Ohio. Sometimes the open carry person is charged with ORC 2917.31 Inducing panic.

Remember when reading this... Don't kill the messenger.

CoRoMo
July 14, 2009, 05:12 PM
What caliber for waffles?? pancakes??

eric.cartman
July 14, 2009, 05:31 PM
Mind my own business most likely. Although I'm known for making comments when I like someone else's gun :)

GarandOwner
July 14, 2009, 05:40 PM
smile.....then keep on living my life

doc2rn
July 14, 2009, 05:45 PM
Buy him breakfast and ask him to join me!

Faitmaker
July 14, 2009, 05:58 PM
@LRAccuracy
Charged maybe but doubtful that it's been prosecuted. In Ohio, OC cannot be a consideration for 2917.31 which spells out exactly what Inducing Panic consists of, none of which is simply carrying a firearm.

You are right, however, that certain areas of Ohio are ignorant or apathatic to our right to OC. BTW, Dayton area.. you? We have a Dayton group that OC's at our meetings, typically a local restaurant, Hasty Tasty, Golden Corral, etc.

OpenCarry.org - Ohio (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/)

NavyLCDR
July 14, 2009, 06:47 PM
Some of us just choose to exercise our constitutional rights that haven't been trampled on like the state of Florida has chosen to trmple on yours.

Titan6
July 14, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'd like to speak to the manager.

Faitmaker
July 14, 2009, 11:50 PM
In Ohio, OC is completely legal and a right . Unexercised, it can be taken away. Several of us believe that by continuing to OC, we are protecting that right for all. Personally, I'm not ashamed to be a gun owner so I don't feel that I *have* to hide it. I choose to.

It has nothing to do with ego or machoism. Heck, my wife would probably show you her gun after you made an ass of yourself to her.

I have to say after spending so much time in OpenCarry forums, which to me is no more "unnormal" as getting in my car to go somewhere, it feels weird being on a gun forum where many seem.. well.. opposed to guns. It is almost as if you feel that they should be taboo. I feel like I'm in the 1800's and someone brought up aunt flo. Shh... we can't talk about that....

NavyLCDR
July 14, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'd like to speak to the manager.

And????

bnkrazy
July 15, 2009, 01:31 AM
I had dinner tonight with over 100 firearms enthusiasts. Most openly armed.

I encountered a lot of people open carrying. :neener:

http://bnkrazy.smugmug.com/gallery/8913430_9oCd8

If you enjoyed reading about "If you encountered someone Open Carrying..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!