spotting scope

PDA

trigga
July 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
i've been wanting a spotting scope for a while. i know they can be pricey but i'm thinking about investing in one for about $100-$150. any that you can recommend? i will be using if for up to 100 yards on target so nothing fancy, i do shoot 6" targets with a .223 so i just need something that can give me a good view of the small holes on a small target @ 100 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "spotting scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tennessee Ned
July 6, 2009, 01:09 PM
A friend of mine has a Konus that he got from Midway and I thought that it was very nice scope for the money. They have it priced at about $110 now.

trigga
July 6, 2009, 01:32 PM
are the braska any good?

krs
July 7, 2009, 06:57 PM
No, Barska aren't great.

Lots of scopes magnify but not so many resolve small things sharply, and that resolution is what you need. Reject a scope in which you can see color fringing around objects or that just won't get very small things very sharp no matter how much you try to focus it.

I'd try to find a top notch brand that's old, used, beat up some, or missing parts - like that.

I found a beautiful 15-60x Swift, made in Japan (not Taiwan, China, Madagascar - Japan when they made some of the best optical products in the world) for $39.95 in a Salvation Army store in Oakland, CA several years back. It was (is) wrapped with cord like some old sea captain thing but it's as sharp and good as any Swarovsky I've looked through.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 10, 2009, 11:47 AM
Konus, Alpen, most Bushnell, and Celestron C90 Mak all seem to share a reputation for good value in a low-end scope.

There are many many many threads on this. A search will help you tremendously.

If you enjoyed reading about "spotting scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!