"Enemies Foreign and Domestic" in 2nd Printing

PDA

Travis McGee
October 22, 2003, 02:05 PM
Hi Folks,

The first print run of my Second Amendment novel "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" (1,100 copies) is almost sold out. There are just enough left to supply Amazon for a couple of weeks until the 2nd edition is ready, I hope. The second printing will be for 2,000 books, and hopefully I'll keep doubling the orders for a while.

Anybody who doesn't know what this novel is about can read the first 20 chapters any time on the book's website. This is plenty to get the full flavor of the book, and understand one way we could lose our RKBA very quickly. Enemies Foreign and Domestic is not "X-rated" like Unintended Consequences, it is recommended for anyone teenage and up, men or women.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the sequel to EFAD, called "Domestic Ememies." It's going to be set five years after the end of this book, in a fictional America that is much further down the road to being a virtual police state. Some of the characters from EFAD will return in Domestic Enemies. I don't know when it will be finished, but I hope it takes less than the three years EFAD took me to write!

Matt

http://matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/bookcover.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about ""Enemies Foreign and Domestic" in 2nd Printing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
October 22, 2003, 03:45 PM
Just in time! I'm almost finished reading my autographed first edition and will need a couple of "loaner" copies.

Balog
October 22, 2003, 03:50 PM
"Meanwhile, I'm working on the sequel to EFAD, called "Domestic Ememies."

Will there be any amimals involved?:p :) Just kidding, I can't wait to get my copy.

Owen
October 22, 2003, 05:13 PM
Congrats!

owen

ballistic gelatin
October 22, 2003, 05:25 PM
very, very cool.

Intune
October 22, 2003, 05:32 PM
Well done! We knew him when!!!

Greg L
October 22, 2003, 05:35 PM
:cool:

Keep the printings growing by leaps and bounds.

Greg

garrettwc
October 22, 2003, 08:19 PM
Very cool. Congrats on the success of the book.

I was hoping the significant other would make it a birthday present next month, but maybe I better get one before they become collectors items.

R-Tex12
October 22, 2003, 08:32 PM
Hey, Matt -

The check's on its way!

Rick

Travis McGee
October 22, 2003, 09:03 PM
Garrettwc: don't worry, 2,000 more books are coming in a few weeks. The only difference between the first and second editions will be no typos, and I learned to spell "airplane hangar!"

Matt

erikm
October 23, 2003, 01:10 PM
Nice to hear your writing is popular enough to warrant a second printing, Travis.

Do you have any updates on the E-book version you have mentioned? I'd like to get your book without paying extortionate (not on your part :) ) shipping costs.

Cheers,
ErikM :evil:

Travis McGee
October 23, 2003, 01:47 PM
ErikM: I think an Ebook version will be ready in about a month.
Matt
http://matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/snakelogo.jpg

Don Galt
October 23, 2003, 08:31 PM
How is unintended consequences "X rated"? Or what is the distinction between the two you're drawing. I'm a little confused on your comment there.

FWIW, I enjoyed the sample chapters, and didn't know it was selling thru amazon. Will pick up a printed or ebook copy eventually, just working my way thru a stack of books previously bought.

Travis McGee
October 24, 2003, 12:58 AM
Dan Galt,
In UC, there is lots of raunchy sex that really had nothing to do with the plot. Bowman has a girlfriend who's an escaped stripper/mafia moll, who brings along her lesbo girlfriend for 3 ways with Bowman, and even pals of Bowman at the machine gun shoot. Not to mention brutal rapes described in great detail, murder by fellatio in the car in DC and so on.

Now to me, this greatly limited the potential reach of UC for two reasons. A high % of shooters are conservative and/or religious, and this kind or writing is a no-go. And even if they read it, they will NOT recommend it, or pass it on to many friends. This really kills the way a book spreads by word of mouth recommendation.

The other way the X-rated stuff hurt UC was by turning off almost any women who might have read it. In my experience (married, 8 sisters) women don't enjoy books where the women are just walking vaginas there for the pleasuring of the studly male heroes. That's why I not only refrained from explicit X-rated stuff, but went out of my way to create a strong and sympathetic female protagongist.

In my opinion, UC was a great book, but it could never reach beyond the RKBA "choir" and it couldn't even reach all of that group, losing the religious and women. My intention was to write a book that the shooting husband would give to his wife, who would give to her girlfriend at work, who would give to her husband, a shooter or a non-shooter. I want EFAD to be read beyond the "RKBA choir," so I felt like I wasn't losing much by skipping the 3 way sex with lesbo strippers.

Matt

Don Gwinn
October 24, 2003, 01:13 AM
Uh, Don, have you read Unintended Consequences?

Did you forget about the graphic straight, lesbian and three-way sex scenes between the various protagonists and sex slave/stripper/assassins? :D

Those scenes have long been an issue for some people, especially those who would like their children to read a novel about freedom and the gun culture. Mr. McGee is not sandbagging UC; he's just pointing out that if you have those concerns with UC then you might prefer his book.

Orthonym
October 24, 2003, 03:41 AM
I believe Mr. Ross said that his female readers tended to complain that there wasn't ENOUGH sex in the book. It's on his Web site.

rock jock
October 24, 2003, 11:00 AM
Someone please provide a review of this book. One of my biggest complaints about UC (in addition to the gratuitous sex) was that it was wayyyyy too long. Too much detail. Reminded me of Sum of All Fears where Clancy spends something like 100 pages going into the minutia of building a nuke. Ugghh! I have only a limited about of time and read an average of one novel every 2 years, which ideally, are about 350-450 pp long. Anyway, I don't want to sidetrack this thread but I would appreciate some comments from those that have read the entire book.

AJ Dual
October 24, 2003, 11:20 AM
On one hand I agree about the sex in UC, while not bothering me personally, some wasn't helpful in the political/RKBA sense, or furthering the message of the story.

Using rape to explain that bad things can happen to anyone and giving characters motivations was fine. And the stripper using sex as bait and a plot device to demonstrate how immoral some politicians were before being done away with was helpful, but the consensual stuff between the protaganists wasn't.

OTOH, as to turning off "conservatives", Heinlien had plenty of wacky stuff going on in his books, including a time-travelling immortal who does his own mother, cloned-twin daughters... Certainly didn't keep him out of the parthenon of fiction authors...

Travis McGee
October 24, 2003, 01:24 PM
Here is a link to ten Amazon reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0972831002/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/102-6132367-3053731?v=glance&s=books&n=507846&vi=customer-reviews

There are more on the reviews page on the www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com website.

Matt

Travis McGee
October 24, 2003, 01:37 PM
Andrew W:

UC has sold 60,000 books in about 8 years, which is pretty good, but it has never had any impact beyond the already hard-core RKBA choir. The raunchy sex IMHO, along with 200 extra pages of "the history of gun culture" trivia really kept the book from reaching the wider audience. I can't tell you how many people have told me they'd like to give UC to a teenager or female friend, but would not because of the gratuitous raunchy sex. A similar number tell me the gun culture chapters put them to sleep and they had to skip ahead.

(Yes, many loved the sex and gun culture stuff in UC. I know it! But did they GAIN or LOSE more potential UC readers?)

As far as Henlein, when I have written 20 or 30 books, I'll be able to write about any damn thing I please also. But as a first time author, my marketing strategy has to be extremely judicious. Shooters are my first target niche audience, hence the snake/rifle cover. Many RKBA folks are conservative and or religious, and I would lose far more readers than I gained by including off-plot rauchy sex scenes. And 200 pages of "gun culture history" would totally lose the non-hard-core shooters.

I am hoping that EFAD reaches an eventual audience far beyond the already dedicated RKBA choir. That's the only way the book can move the RKBA debate in our favor! Not one paragraph in the book is accidental.

Matt

Balog
October 24, 2003, 02:03 PM
Matt: I agree about the sex. At times it seems more like he's living out his own wet dreams than trying to advance the story. I'm rather ambivalent about the history.

A question about EFAD I have is about the cover. Why an M-16/AR-15 variant?

rock jock
October 24, 2003, 02:13 PM
OK, good enough for me. I just ordered it. This will be my one novel for 2003.

Travis McGee
October 24, 2003, 03:59 PM
Balog:

Actually the cover art is by THR's own gun-fuciuos, so he picked the AR-15, not me. I saw his drawing years ago and always admired it, and arranged to use it on EFAD's cover.

But I think I would have picked that rifle anyway. An AK-47 would have brought in the whole Russian/commie/arab terrorist flavor. Other rifles (FALs etc) are not well known, and not American. An AR-15 is an "All American" battle rifle, which comes in full auto military and semi auto for civilians, so I think it's a perfect rifle example for this novel.

Matt

Don Galt
October 24, 2003, 06:17 PM
Yes, of course I've read Unintended Consequences... that's why I was confused by the comment. I'd give that book an R rating, not an X rating.

The only thing there that was more explicit than one would like was the Rape, but the rape was a necessary plot device that I think the book would have lost a lot for not having.

FWIW, my girlfriend liked it. (And by the way, women who have sex with men and women are not "lesbos" they are bisexual.. and they are not that uncommon.)

Didn't mean to start a debate between the two books, just didn't know what was X rated about UC, and now I know what you meant.

Regarding the review of history in UC, I really liked that aspect of it. My girlfriend, on the other hand didn't.

Travis McGee
October 24, 2003, 06:54 PM
Don Galt:

In my opinion explicit genital descriptions of 3 way sex gets an "X" rating. If you "show it" in a movie, it's X, if you describe it in a book, it's X.

I'm glad you liked UC, so did I. It's just that I feel the explicit off-plot gratuitious sex scenes and 200 pages of off-plot gun-lore lost Ross more readers than it gained him.

Matt

Oleg Volk
October 26, 2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn3/reader.jpg

Travis McGee
October 26, 2003, 01:18 AM
OMG! That is hysterical. Did you take that photo??
Matt

Travis McGee
October 26, 2003, 01:25 AM
Oleg, is it a coincidence that Longarm is wearing Confederate gray under his cammie vest?

(I will admit, most of my books are going south of the Mason Dixon line.)

Oleg Volk
October 26, 2003, 01:52 AM
Actually, the shirt is bluish and the man is from Minnesota. He's enjoying your book.

Kobun
October 26, 2003, 03:42 PM
Matt,
your writing really impressed me in the exerpts, so now I will have to buy your book.

K.

Tim McBride
October 26, 2003, 06:10 PM
Ordered it from Amazon along with several other books. Just waiting now.....

I like the fact the book is not susspossed to be as graphic as UC. THis way I can pass it along to folks in the office with out getting fired.

Travis McGee
October 26, 2003, 10:39 PM
Oleg, If you see blue, fine. I see gray! Rebel Yell in one pocket, a Bible in the other!

Travis McGee
October 26, 2003, 10:42 PM
Kobun,
Amazon just ordered 39 more, up from my usual orders of about 20 twice a week, and I'm about out. The 2nd Edition is going to print this week, there may be a gap at Amazon. Check the link on my "how to order" page for gunsnetworks.net, they have more books. FredsM-14Stocks also has about 250 of the books for sale if Amazon is out.

Matt

Travis McGee
October 26, 2003, 10:57 PM
Tim McBride,
I intentionally kept the sex to about PG-13, and the violence to maybe R, so that men and women, teenage and up, could enjoy it.

ChickenHawk
October 26, 2003, 11:03 PM
Travis,

Please be sure to post when an ebook is available.

Congratulations on your continued success!

ChickenHawk

Travis McGee
October 27, 2003, 12:39 PM
ChickenHawk: I hope an Ebook version will be ready in about a month. I'll post a notice when it's ready.

Matt

Orthonym
October 27, 2003, 05:41 PM
THIS site is PG-13. You have to be only 13 to join, and nasty language is forbidden, yet we somehow still manage to discuss serious things as grownups do.

Edit: Changed "like grownups" to "as grownups do".

HABU
October 27, 2003, 10:20 PM
The only reason I havn't handed UC to my 15 year old son is because of the sex. I liked all athe "gun culture/history" stuff.

(And by the way, women who with men and women are not "lesbos" they are bisexual.. and they are not that uncommon.) Since when? When a guy does another guy :barf: He is still a, how shall I call it, a homosexual :barf: whether or not he is doing women. And dont tell me he cant be a homo if he is married. :rolleyes: Same thing goes for women, just because she is bi doesn't mean she isnt a lesbian.:scrutiny:

Orthonym
October 27, 2003, 11:44 PM
Was that gun-related? I mean, I don't personally care if the post was pro-sexual, anti-sexual, pro-one-kind-of-sexual and anti-some-other-kind-of-sexual, but: The vast majority of the Web seems to be ruled by sexually-oriented stuff; can't we have a little corner here to talk about innocent things like politics and deadly weapons?

Edit: Inserted "be" between "to" and "ruled."

Oleg Volk
October 28, 2003, 01:11 AM
That request heartily seconded!

Travis McGee
October 28, 2003, 01:54 PM
Orthonym and Oleg Volk:

I deliberately kept EFAD's sex to PG-13. I think that explicit sexual descriptions don't help the plot, and it turns off more (mostly conservative) readers than it attracts. But that's just me.

Matt

CGofMP
October 28, 2003, 02:00 PM
When the photo first loaded, and upon very first glance I thought it was Ol Fidel Castro learning something new from Matt Bracken's tome!

:-)

Charles

ballistic gelatin
October 29, 2003, 11:26 AM
I just found something in the news that could affect some of the characters in the book.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20031028/i/r2213445791.jpg

Tue Oct 28, 9:12 AM ET

1st Sgt Michael Evans (R) and his passenger, captain Bradley Boyd (L), of the Charlie Company of 1-22 U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division (Task Force Ironhorse), laugh as they ride on a motorcycle confiscated in Tirkit, 110 miles north of Baghdad, October 28, 2003. The occupation forces in Tikrit are confiscating motorcycles as they are forbidden after being used in attacks on U.S. troops in Saddam Hussein's hometown.

Travis McGee
October 29, 2003, 01:22 PM
Ballistic Gelatin: That sidecar pic is TOO FUNNY!

cordex
October 29, 2003, 01:27 PM
Wow ...
It appears that our ousting Saddam has given Iraqis a few more civil liberties ... and raped them of others.

Motorcycles are used in attacks ... so they're all prohibited and confiscated by soldiers? Bizarre. Different world over there.

Travis McGee
October 29, 2003, 01:53 PM
Cordex: Where did you read that ALL motorcycles are confiscated?

Bowlcut
October 29, 2003, 07:56 PM
i await the ebook. or if you can start taking like pay pal id order it in a heart beat. im all about convience. and impulse too. lol. if you make it easy and quick for me to buy it i would. the whole write a check and wait isnt fun :(. paypal isnt totaly bad. what id do to keep crap down is just make it a no credit card one, just bank transfer one. and that way they dont charge you the 3% or such. id buy one in an instant. still might, just the whole snail mail thing :)

Orthonym
October 30, 2003, 12:05 AM
Put some more air in that tire, Sergeant!

cordex
October 30, 2003, 12:19 AM
Matt,
According to the caption, they are being confiscated, "as they are forbidden".
There may certainly be exceptions, but I don't know what they are.

Travis McGee
October 30, 2003, 03:55 AM
Cordex: I don't believe most of what reporters and editors say about our policies over there. I'd need to read a LOT more about it.

Travis McGee
October 30, 2003, 03:57 AM
Bowlcut: Ebooks will be available in a few weeks after I'm finished getting this 2nd edition out. I do have the books available on Amazon, I don't know if Amazon does paypal or just credit cards.

Matt

R-Tex12
November 6, 2003, 09:50 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know what a good read EFAD is. Not quite finished with it yet, but am thoroughly enjoying it . I've slowed down the reading rate a bit in an effort to extend the enjoyment.

It's started me wondering about a lot of things...

If you're interested in reading a terrific story that'll make you angry and aprehensive at the same time, don't miss this one.

Get yourself a copy!

R-Tex12

Don Galt
November 7, 2003, 03:14 AM
That picture makes me really think that maybe we're screwing the pooch over there.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Enemies Foreign and Domestic" in 2nd Printing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!