Civilian 1911's

PDA

thebluemax
July 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
Did the early (up to WWII) commercial 1911's in civilian hands have lanyard rings or not? flat or arched mainspring?

If you enjoyed reading about "Civilian 1911's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
July 6, 2009, 05:37 PM
The original 1911 commercial & military had a flat mainspring housing and lanyard rings on both the gun and the magazines.

In 1923, the arched housing and other changes were made and the gun became the 1911A1.
Both commercial .45 ACP & GI guns continued to have lanyard rings on the housing until fairly recently.

Most of the early .38 Super, .22RF Ace, Gold Cup, and all post-war guns didn't, but I don't know the exact cut-off points off the top of my head.

rc

Jim Watson
July 6, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have only a few period pictures.
The 1940 Colt catalog shows the G.M. with a lanyard loop on the mainspring housing but not the magazine. No other variant, NM, Super, or Ace had one then.
The 1931 Super and Ace have no lanyard loop.
The 1912 G.M. has both loops.

rcmodel
July 6, 2009, 06:18 PM
Sad story.

When I got my first 1911 in 1962 or so, old 1911 magazines with lanyard rings were quite common at gun shows. Even two-tone ones!

We ground them off cause they hurt your hand when trying to imitate Jeff Cooper & the boys with fast reloads!

A two-tone lanyard ring mag is worth a fortune now!
But who knew?

rc

highorder
July 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
But who knew?

I have this Bible printed by Gutenberg, but some guy named Martin Luther wrote all over it... I traded it in to Goodwill for a fresh new pocket copy! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Civilian 1911's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!