A Well Regulated Militia

PDA

Maj Dad
July 6, 2009, 09:48 PM
In these times of uncertainty regarding our Second Amendment rights, I have made a couple of "jumps" in my attitudes. I just finished reading "Glen Beck's Common Sense: THe Case Against An Out-Of-Control Government, Inspired By Thomas Paine", which, if you have not read, is a straight-forward, straight-shooting beacon of truth and alarm to all Americans. And, on July 4th, I received a call from my daughter, who has been involved in in-depth genealogical research for some time, who told me that she had discovered that my great-great-great grandfather, Jesse Chastain, was a soldier in the Virginia Line in the Revolutionary War.

Reading Glen's book was an epiphany, despite what I thought was my well-informed state, and I can guarantee that any man or woman who reads it will experience it as well. You owe it to yourself and to your family to read it, Democrat or Republican or Independent - it is party neutral and American positive. I won't review it here, but suffice to say it is a call to action by all Americans.

Learning that my g-g-g-grandfather stood against the British during our war of independence gave me a heavy dose of responsibility: I cannot shirk my duty as an American to speak my mind, rationally and fairly and with due diligence (a legal term, I know, but apropos) and close my eyes and ignore what he and so many others, from then on down to Iraq and Afghanistan have done and continue to do. I cannot turn away from my duty, and with that in mind, I will turn around, put on my gear, and move out.

I challenge you to read Glen's book (or not - but I challenge you just the same) and get your gear together and move out and engage our enemies. It is to be an engagement of ideas and and motivation, and not of physical confrontation - that is abhorrent to our forebears and to us. Ours is a nation of laws, and we must not and cannot forget that. But, you must learn what is going on in our country and to step up and do your duty as you see it. Not as a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Mugwump, but as Americans. I swore an oath to uphold and defend the Consititution of the United States, and I am a man of my word. You can, too.

Very Respectfully,
Maj George T. Jacoby
Sumter, SC

If you enjoyed reading about "A Well Regulated Militia" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
riverrat373
July 6, 2009, 09:58 PM
Do you mean THE Glen Beck who keeps yelling "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"?

Maj Dad
July 6, 2009, 10:11 PM
Read the book and decide for yourself. I saw nothing of the sort - the facts pretty much speak for themselves - Ipse Dixit, in legal (and Latin) terms. I am no proponent of Glen Beck, but what he has to say is of interest to Americans. You decide, but read the book before you do.

divenutt
July 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
Yes, and the same Glenn Beck who kept saying that gas prices were going up, going up. And that the government was going to take over businesses and banks. Guess he missed that!

Take a chance and read it, what can it hurt? The Major is right on. It's time that Americans started acting like Americans and not couch-hugging, keyboard commando, poli-correctos. Speak up and vote out. If you choose to do nothing, then you have made your choice and have to deal with it. Choose to do something and choose to enjoy your freedoms.

Living in a foreign country where I am a minority, have no voting rights, still pay taxes, and get treated 3rd class has allowed me the perspective to really understand what America is and can be. The result is far from determined. The people can make a difference. Just ask King George about those trouble-making colonists...

danprkr
July 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
Do you mean THE Glen Beck who keeps yelling "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"?

So? As I saw in another post somewhere - Excuse me Mr. Frog, your water is boiling.

Heck right now there's a thread about a guy picked up at a check point that was unconstitutional. The Gov does and is overstepping it's bounds on a daily basis. Each time it takes some of our liberties. Our liberties are a finite resource, and if we don't take them back we're doomed to lose them forever.

For me it was when they passed the seat belt laws 20 years or so ago. Don't get me wrong I was the only one I knew at the time that wore my seat belt, but I still think the state shouldn't force it on me. Then came helmet laws for motorcycles. Now we've digressed to 'hate crimes' where your thoughts make a crime more illegal. Where does it end?

Maybe with the government taking over major industries like say the auto industry. That can't be a good thing, and is certainly unconstitutional. But the sky isn't falling?

Just because he's shouting it don't make it wrong. I believe the point is that you need to look at it and make up your own mind.

Rockwell1
July 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
IBTL

rbernie
July 6, 2009, 10:34 PM
Discussions about general Poly Ticks are not allowed on THR. If you have a RKBA activism idea, take it to the Activism subforum and describe the plan.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Well Regulated Militia" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!