Ever buy more than one of the same gun? If so, how did you justify it?

PDA

Joe Mamma
October 22, 2003, 05:45 PM
I know some people buy more than one of the same gun. But, I'm curious, how did you justify it? It seems like that could be a very expensive habit.

Sometimes I'll see a great deal on a gun I already own but, I just can't get myself to buy something I already have.

Joe Mamma

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever buy more than one of the same gun? If so, how did you justify it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
October 22, 2003, 05:50 PM
Have you not ''met'' Tamara yet??!!:rolleyes: :D

I guess it's all a matter of perceived ''need''! Sometimes a NIB is scheduled to be in the safe as a ''keeper'' but a used version could well be the regular ''shooter''.

As for ''Justify'' .... hah! This is addiction we's talkin about here!! :p

Skunkabilly
October 22, 2003, 05:57 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45638

See here :o

:banghead:

Mastrogiacomo
October 22, 2003, 05:59 PM
I bought two compact type M Berettas. I justify it by my love for the blue finish and the inox as well. When I have the funds for the GP100 in a 3", I'll get one in each finish again. Some just like buying a particular gun and doing different custom work on them. To each his own....

LeonCarr
October 22, 2003, 06:01 PM
I own three Glock 17s. Always good to have a spare, and a spare spare :). Ya never know when you might need an extra. You might have to shoot somebody in self-defense, in which case your weapon will be confiscated as evidence, or you might to/want to send one to a gunsmith for repair or customization, and want to stay armed, or both could happen at the same time :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Delmar
October 22, 2003, 06:41 PM
I went a slightly different route-I now own a Gold Cup, a Government model, a Combat Commander and an Officers model. Looking at a Commander model now, then I want to repeat the whole thing in Stainless!
Who said addiction:rolleyes:

critter
October 22, 2003, 06:47 PM
"NEED"; "JUSTIFY": Those are words that do not compute!

sm
October 22, 2003, 07:07 PM
I think after the 4 rules were taught to me the next lesson was redundancy. All the fellas that spent time and taught me always had least 2 of everything. Most folks I knew growing up-grew up in the country, my folks were poor country folks. Just a fact of life stuff breaks, out in the country one had a back-up whilst they fixed the other.

I mean one kerosene lantern,when there is no electricity back in those days...see

I recall my uncle really wanting new smith revolver, forget the make or caliber, instead he bought ( had to put one on layaway until next paycheck) 2 used just alike instead. He carried cash, and was patient. Later some foks got into money troubles and he finally got two of the one he originally wanted.

"After it's shot it's used ain't it?" duh, Uncle made sense to this kid.

Lesson kinda stuck with me.

Texas Bob
October 22, 2003, 07:11 PM
My primary ccw is a P7M8. I own three, one for range use( idpa ), one for ccw and one to back up the others. At least two of the same configuration is always good for your ccw platform. Besides maintenance, if God-forbid, you did have to use it in self defense, it will be taken into evidence to be returned to you when????? The day after would not be a good time to try and buy another pistol, the "press" will be watching, and we know how gun-friendly reporters always report "just the facts."

manwithoutahome
October 22, 2003, 07:14 PM
I'm starting to do that now since I have a C&R.

Justification: Just Because! :D

M

Rangegod
October 22, 2003, 07:54 PM
2 - Glock 17s
3 - Norinco 45s
4 - Ruger 5.5" BB 22s (2 blue - 2 SS)
3 - DP-51 (9MM)
2 - Star PDs
2 - Sig P220s
2 - Sig P230s
2 - CZ-75s
2 - CZ PCRs
4 - BHPs
2 - T-33s (China 9MM)
2 - 11.5" AR-15s
2 - UZIs

These are the exact duplicates I can think of, probably more that I'm forgetting.

All I can say is that when I was younger I had more money then good sense and now I just have less money.

JAC

ARperson
October 22, 2003, 08:09 PM
I'm married. One for each of us. :D

ambidextrous1
October 22, 2003, 08:54 PM
Way to go, Rangegod!

I have three 1911 Series 70s; couldn't help it - after the first one, I frequently got headaches, chills, anxiety attacks. Symptoms abated after the second purchase, for a while; then it all started again, only more severe.

After a lot of missed work, I found a third Series 70, and once again, the attacks stopped.

That was almost a year ago; but now I'm starting to get the shakes and headaches again.

Someone - please stop me before I buy again!

:eek:

AUTIGER04
October 22, 2003, 09:00 PM
Two Ruger Super BlackHawks 44 mag. One blued the other stainless.

mrapathy2000
October 22, 2003, 09:16 PM
2nd gun is the best thing you can have when you cannot buy individual spare parts either cause the manufacture went out of business or the manufacture is over seas and import is tough or the item is forbidden from further import.

Alan Fud
October 22, 2003, 09:57 PM
Have I ever bought two of the same gun? Yep! I've even been known to buy three of the same gun ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f23.jpg
... How do I justify it? Still working on that :D

C.R.Sam
October 23, 2003, 12:58 AM
Justify ?
That does not compute.

Sam

Sheldon
October 23, 2003, 01:12 AM
Classic "horder" mentality.

I have two sons and can easily justify three of everything.......just can't afford it though. I have managed to get three Ruger MKII 22 pistols and am working on a third 10-22. I have two Beretta 92 fs' and wouldn't mind a third if a "deal" came up. It's the 'ole backup for the backup.:D

agony
October 23, 2003, 01:42 AM
I justified buying a CZ-85 PreB as a mirror image of my CZ 75. One for the left hand, one for the right.
:)

I'm still trying to justify buying SIG P220s. Had four at one time. Different flavors, though.

Mike Irwin
October 23, 2003, 02:02 AM
I have three S&W Model 19s, a 2.5", a 4", and a 6", and two S&W Model 28s, a 4" and a 6".

How do I justify it?

Because I wanted them.

Neal Bloom
October 23, 2003, 02:17 AM
Buy one for me and one for the wife.

SnWnMe
October 23, 2003, 02:55 AM
It just happened.

BigG
October 23, 2003, 10:52 AM
Your car has a spare tire, doesn't it? ;)

lee n. field
October 23, 2003, 12:08 PM
multiple Makarovs. Justify? "Parts gun." Riiiiiight.

10-Ring
October 23, 2003, 12:54 PM
Well, I've got 2 Italian Beretta 92's, a Centurion & an inox fs. I've also got 4 USPs in various sizes & calibers. Somehow, it just made sense :D

goon
October 24, 2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, I have.
I don't really need to justify it.
I like guns, I like shooting, and it is my money.
My rationale at the time was that I could keep one pretty and shoot the hell out of the other.
It seems to be working.;)

Will Fennell
October 24, 2003, 12:25 AM
A wise old crumudgeon once said, any gun worth owning, is worth having 2. If you REALLY shoot it well, get three.

Oh yeah, if it take detachable mags, you need ATLEAST five mags per......:cool:

Josey
October 24, 2003, 02:00 AM
I shoot CAS. You need two pistols, I buy in threes. One could break down. The S&W M&Ps? I wanted one in every barrel length. I may buy more 1911s. The most I ever bought was the legal limit on the NICS. Hunting was good that day.

faustulus
October 24, 2003, 03:36 AM
"At that price I can't afford not to buy it!"

JOE MACK
October 24, 2003, 05:49 AM
I just picked-up two of Ruger's SS Blackhawk Bisleys in .41Magnum. I got two because I don't know how long production will go or how many will be made. I plan to shoot the heck out of one and put the other to the back of the vault. RKBA!:D

Obiwan
October 24, 2003, 08:53 AM
Skunk is right on...

A second copy of your primary weapon is a great idea

2-G19's here

Tamara
October 24, 2003, 09:46 AM
I am not tactical.

I am a collector.

I do not buy duplicates.

My 442 and 640 are not duplicates. Neither are my 38 and 49. Just because my 610, 624, 625, 627, and 629 are all 3" round-butt N-frames with identical sight pictures does not mean they are "identical" as they are all in different calibers. Yes, my 1911's are all set up identically, having flat MSH's, long triggers, three-dot sights, and extended thumb safeties, but that does not mean they are "identical" as some are Kimbers, some are Springfields, and some are Colts. If my hand can't tell the difference, that's its problem, not mine.

I am a collector.

I am not tactical.

foghornl
October 24, 2003, 09:57 AM
I have the glossy stainless "Limited Edition Sheriff's Model" Vaquero in .357Mag. Saw ad in Gander Mountain flyer [GASP! Hanguns advertised in the Gander Mountian circular?] for the "50th Anniversary Single-Six" Pointed ad out to Mrs. Foggy...

"But that looks like the one you already have....etc etc etc"

Says Mr. Foggy (me) "No, this is the very limited 50th Year Anniversary Edition of Ruger's very popular Single-Six .22LR/.22Mag revolver. And it is blue with special 50th year rollmarks.

Will see if the fat man in the red suit leaves me one of those in late December....

Smoke
October 24, 2003, 11:07 AM
Only true pair I have are Vaqueros (Good cowboy has to have a fancy two-gun rig)

Have two Para Ordnance P14.45 Limiteds. One blue. One stainless.

Have multiple 1911 style guns. Now two exactly alike. (But controls, grip, sight picture are all the same. Leather interchanges too)

Ultraman
October 24, 2003, 01:42 PM
"any gun worth owning, is worth having 2. If you REALLY shoot it well, get three."

Or if they are REALLY CUTE like a S&W 63 2"... :D
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310242723707784361938.jpg

Poohgyrr
October 25, 2003, 03:25 AM
Well, a couple of Hi Powers operate the same, use the same ammo & related equipment, and my wife is competent with them too.

Same for 1911's, Smith revolvers, etc..........

And a good blued revolver just looks great...

Ky Larry
October 25, 2003, 10:02 AM
I had a CZ-75B 9mm stolen last year. I really liked the gun so I bought anothe one. The police recovered my stolen pistol so I nw have 2 f them. I think I might give one to my brother for X-mas.

Brian Dale
October 25, 2003, 05:06 PM
"They're not duplicates!"

[picks up a pair of identical-looking Model 19s, with three more nearby] "This one's Bill J, and that one's Officer Rick. Over there are Karen, Kathy and Kelly."

[picks up matching Pythons] "Here's Truth, and this is Beauty."

[Detective Specials] "This one's Dick, and that's Elliott."

[1911s] "Jeff, Chuck and Alvin"

[lever rifles] Here are Sally and Annie-Oh"

[SGs] "You've seen Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting before, of course."

[then, as his listener moves away slowly, making no sudden moves and keeping the speaker's hands clearly in sight] "Each one has a unique wonderfulness all its own."

Bainx
October 25, 2003, 06:54 PM
Hey Joe Mamma-

Thanks for reminding me to buy that second Makarov!

I owe you one.:cool:

Big Mike
October 26, 2003, 04:24 AM
Mine are sorta different. The 6946 is DAO and the 6906 is DA/SA. Most the same holster fit, magazines, magazine carrier, caliber, grip, parts(most) you name it.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQAAAGwViwLagQ5Nrf!5emYXWZo**Tvlp4sIkVWummmpnmnY0jw2hQMll7fMrF1kPPSMMf5ffoh*lRM7g*2NhI1L*G71pS0jzjuB0uQ1wqa5j5Oznri*Lg/PDR_0268.JPG

Hutch
October 27, 2003, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm... 2 Garands, 2 STG58's, 2 AR's 2 SKS's, 2 MAK90's, sold off the odd Mini14, 3 10/22's 3 870's, gave my F-I-L my Mossie... Nope. No problem here. Wadaminnit, this is the handguns forum!!! Don't get me started...2 x CZ75, G19, G17, LWC, 1911GM's.... wait a tick, only 1 Ruger Mk I!! 3 Maks. I ain't talkin about my revos.

Braz
October 27, 2003, 09:02 PM
Josey outdrew me,

Cowboy action shootin' requires two revolvers, most get some spares. And spare rifles, shotguns, pocket pistols... oh Lordy. This is a great excuse! :)

Pilot
October 28, 2003, 05:46 PM
OK here it goes:

HK P7M8 and P7 PSP - same gun except for mag release, heat shield, length of trigger guard and some other minor stuff. The PSP is a CCW the M8 is more of a range gun.

CZ-75B and PCR - ones full size, one is compact.

Ruger MkII 5.5 and standard size, plus a 22/45

Five Makarovs - Two Bulgies, two Russian commercial, one E.G.

I think that's it. Hey, I need more 1911's, BHP's, Lugers.....

CZ52GUY
October 28, 2003, 08:30 PM
...I just bought my first "duplicate" (Bulgie Makarov), but so it will have its own identity, this one got Pearce grips instead of wood. Justification = enjoy it so much I was afraid I'd wear it out :D.

...My next purchase will likely be another CZ-75B. Justification = this one I'll probably get a Kadet for it, maybe some wood grips instead of the Hogue FG I have on my first one, and because I have 9 mag's for the first one...trade the mag's? Perish the thought.

...After that, I might get another G22, this time a 3rd Gen frame (original is Gen 1)

...After that, I might get a BDA 380 in Nickel (original is Blued)

...I ended up with three AK's (the guys over at AK-47.NET warned me they were addictive)

...and so on...and so on...and so on...:D

...and BTW, I guess I'd say I'm a "tactical collector" ;)

Best Wishes,

CZ52'

p.s. I see an Arcus in my future, but now I'm thinking...maybe two....SA AND SA/DA.................:)

Mr Jody Hudson
October 28, 2003, 08:44 PM
What I want to know... is...

If you like the gun HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY ONLY HAVING ONE??????????:D

Mannlicher
October 28, 2003, 09:49 PM
Gun show in Gainesville a few years back, I bought 3 Taurus 85CH Stainless .38s. Price was right, and you can never have too many snubbies.

Poohgyrr
October 28, 2003, 11:13 PM
Hutch,

That's not fair. Besides, Garands and Shotties are special, different rules ya know ;).. And living here in CA, my gov't officials want me to stop home invaders the old fashioned way, with 12ga slugs, not with dem evil AR's :neener:

MrPink
October 30, 2003, 02:42 PM
Well, I really like 1911 pattern guns - so you have to have multiples - Government, Commander, Officer by different makers - Colt, Baer, Brown, etc. So that starts to stack up.

I carry an HK P7PSP so need a pair of them (one as a spare) and a safe queen. As a range gun I use a P7M8 (it has a heat shield). Also needed an M13 just because I like P7s.

I carry more nowadays a S&W centennial 340PD so need a pair of them. But before the 340, I had a 642 (sold the spare) and a 640 (good to shoot at the range).

I also like S&W 357 and 44 snubbies and will buy them as I come across good examples.

Justification? To the wife? Well, its cheaper than having a mistress!

amprecon
October 30, 2003, 10:31 PM
2 G19's here also. One for me while I'm out and about and the other stays home with the wifey, same guns, same magazines, same ammo, same holsters, no confusion K.I.S.S.

SteveS
October 31, 2003, 01:28 PM
No duplicates here. My problem is that I like too many different kinds of guns (pistols, shotguns, carbines, rifles, C&R, etc.) I guess if I reached a point where I had everything that I wanted, I might get duplicates, but I haven't got there yet.

rich e
November 1, 2003, 12:54 AM
No duplicates here either. I love too many types. I guess you could say my Glock 19,34, Beretta 92fs, CZ-75b and Ruger P-89 are all simular as in hi-cap nines. Or that my Colt 45 government and Sig 220 are both full size 45's. I could never spend the money on exact duplicates because there are just too many awesome pistols from different manufactures.
Rich

Zach S
November 1, 2003, 06:59 AM
No duplicates here, still looking for another series I Kimber Polymer or compact stainless...

Justify? Well, I do have two hands...

I was looking at a coupla Colt 1991s, both stainless, one blasted, the other blasted with brushed flats. I planned on both but one was sold before I out mony down, so I had to settle for one.

Kevinch
November 2, 2003, 10:29 AM
Yep. Makarovs.

Why?? :confused:

Well - because they're Makarovs, thats why!!

:banghead:

SirVette
November 2, 2003, 10:54 AM
2 Hands 2 Guns

:cool:

It also makes a lot of sense to have 2 of the same or very similiar in different calibers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever buy more than one of the same gun? If so, how did you justify it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!