Your very first gun..

PDA

Wildyams
July 7, 2009, 09:56 PM
Do you still own it?

Do you wish you still did?

What was it, and what would you do to have it back, or what would it take to get it away from you?

I just started thinking about this when someone started talking to me about selling me a gun they had owned for awhile. It made me think if I'd ever sell mine, right now I have two guns, my Benelli Super Nova and my Beretta 92, purchased 2 days after my 18th birthday and on my 21st birthday respectively. I don't think I'd trade or sell either of those for anything. If times got really hard they would probably be the last things to go.

I'm just curious if other people have the same point of view regarding their first gun, or if a gun is just a gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your very first gun.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
COMPNOR
July 7, 2009, 09:58 PM
I've got a Browning Lever Action .22LR, a gift from my dad for my 13th BDay(I think). Still have it, not gonna trade it or sell it.

SodiumBenzoate
July 7, 2009, 10:00 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P-15A, purchased mid-May 2009. There'd be something wrong with me if I didn't still own it. :uhoh:

July 7, 2009, 10:02 PM
Winchester model 67 boys rifle. It came with and still has a Pachmayer folding scope mount and a classic Weaver K4. Unfortunately, It also still has the reblue and stock customization I performed as a teenage gunsmith.

eqfan592
July 7, 2009, 10:05 PM
My first gun was a SA M1 Garand, and I just had it out at the range 2 days ago :)

danprkr
July 7, 2009, 10:06 PM
Cheapy imported single shot .410. Still have it, but considering more or less permanently loaning it to my mom for snake control at her place.

22-rimfire
July 7, 2009, 10:07 PM
Got my first in 9th grade. I guess I was 14. Still have it.

CTSigLover
Plain vanilla Glock 23,

Bought it because I thought it looked "cool", and the .40 was the "flavor of the week" at that time...

Never fit my hand, never pointed well for me, typical Glock trigger... and I suffered with it for 1 year because I didn't know any better.

Sold it to a friend, bought a BHP and never looked back.

No sentimental value whatsoever...

ccsniper
H&R single shot 20 gauge. yup still got it, in fact it just recently my only shotgun, keeping it for pesky squirrels.

Mags
July 7, 2009, 10:13 PM
My fist gun was given to me buy my Step Father it was a Remington 870 wingmaster 20 ga slug gun with a redfield scope. Left it with my best friend as my Step dad had passed and I had joined the Air Force and had no idea of how to have it follow me to my first base. Next time I drive out that way I am going to pick it up though. The first gun I bought myself was a Stainless Taurus PT 92 I bought it for its price tag and resemblance to one of my duty weapons the M9. I sold it to a friend I work with about 2 years ago and have since bought a blued model. I really have no attachment to the Taurus but that Remmy belongs in my safe to wait for my son or daughter to inherit.

jordan1948
July 7, 2009, 10:18 PM
Yeap. Remington 870 20GA. Got it when I was 13-14 and if I had to sell all my guns it would be the one I kept.

almostfree
July 7, 2009, 10:21 PM
Chipmunk .22 lr youth rifle. I just gave it to my daughter.

wrs840
July 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yes, I've got it. A Glenfield Model 25, no serial number. I'm 50 now, and my father, who's thankfully still here at 78, gave it to me for my 12th birthday. No way I'd ever part with it.

Dad says he's going to give my son his Marlin 39 that he's had as long as I can remember. How great is that...

Les

Rontherunner
July 7, 2009, 10:37 PM
S&W 686 revolver, 7 shot.

Still have it? Of course.

lions
July 7, 2009, 10:38 PM
I still have the 870 my father gave me for my 14th birthday. I also still have my first pistol that I bought myself on my 21st, Taurus PT92. Both are great guns and it would take hell and high water to get them away from me.

jojosdad
July 7, 2009, 10:41 PM
1897 Winchester Trench Gun. Bought it in 1969 at a gun show in Mt. View, California for (IRRC) $125.00. Sold it at the request of a blissninny girlfriend a year later for the same $$ :banghead:
Last time I did that.

cchris
July 7, 2009, 10:46 PM
10/22. Still the only gun that's made every range trip with me, since it's the only .22 I own, and hence the cheapest gun to shoot.

non2os13
July 7, 2009, 10:46 PM
my first gun was a Marlin 81TS. i still have it sitting at my back door full of CB shorts waiting for any squirrel that happens to come in my yard

JoeMal
July 7, 2009, 10:47 PM
Winchester 12 gauge pump, still have it and love it

I shoot about 80% trap shooting with it :)

offroaddiver
July 7, 2009, 10:48 PM
My first gun is my grandfather's shotgun. I still have it. It's not in working condition as the action is messed up and haven't found a gun smith i trust to repair the action slide. It's an old shotgun that was his farm gun.

NC-Mike
July 7, 2009, 10:48 PM
Marlin 336 I bought from my cousin. Hunted with it a few times. I had it for 25years and hardly ever used it. Got rid of it last year during a safe purge and don't miss it. It helped fund my Sig 556. :)

Never really liked lever gunz. :barf:

dullh
July 7, 2009, 11:00 PM
Marlin model 60 (actually 6058), US Calvary edition with "gold plated" trigger and medallion in the stock. Got it in 1982. Still got it.

freakshow10mm
July 7, 2009, 11:05 PM
NEF Pardner 20ga 26 inch single shot shotgun. Bought for my first deer hunt when I was 12yo. I'm now 28.

DoubleTapDrew
July 7, 2009, 11:07 PM
Chipmunk .22 lr youth rifle. I just gave it to my daughter
Same here but no kids yet. I hope to pass it down as well someday.

tunnug
July 7, 2009, 11:19 PM
My first gun was an Ithaca 49, lever action, top loading single shot .22 and I still have it.

Believe it or not, I got this when I was 9 yrs old and still living in Mexico, my uncle who was a patrolman in the U.S. gave it to me as a birthday gift, we used to travel back and forth across the border with it to target shoot.

Times have sure changed since 1968.

21bubba
July 7, 2009, 11:22 PM
First gun was given to me by my dad, ruger security.Biggest piece of crap ever made by man.Dad said sell it if it's that bad.

First christmas together my wife bought me a s&w model 19 nickel 4in. I still have it and nobody will ever get it. 1977 was along time ago.

jpwilly
July 7, 2009, 11:24 PM
Winchester Model 260 22lr semi auto rifle...yes I still own it.

Isher
July 7, 2009, 11:27 PM
Winchester Model 67a .22 singleshot.

Made in New Haven, Conn.

No serial number, of course.

Given to me by my Dad Christmas 1956.

It was given to him by my Grandad, so it is probably pretty old.

It has all the scars of all the years, but

It still shoots straight.

My #1 rat gun!

isher

waterhouse
July 7, 2009, 11:32 PM
My first gun wasn't really mine, exactly. Single shot Marlin .22 was my dad's, and then was passed down from older brothers as they outgrew it. It is now in the possession of my nephew, and will likely keep getting passed around the family as everyone's first gun.

Ky Larry
July 7, 2009, 11:44 PM
My first gun was a Remington 514 .22lr single shot bolt action. Got it for X-mas in 1963. It's in my safe right now.

GRIZ22
July 7, 2009, 11:45 PM
I was a city kid. No guns in my upbringing. However, my Uncle (Bastonge vet, MP went to capture bridges and crossroads for the 3rd Army) had a big interest in guns and read every book he had. The big thing was shooting a 22 pump on the boardwalk. "My" first gun was a H&R M14 in basic training in 1967. The first gun I bought was a Bauer .25 in 1973 (no money for guns in college).

Pretty much uphill from there. The gun I've owned the longest is my Combat Commander (1975) with one rebuild under it's belt.

Savage Shooter
July 7, 2009, 11:48 PM
H&R single shot 20 gauge. yup still got it
same here, it's not that great but it's better than a stick:D and it's reliable

My first rifle was a marlin model 60, I'll get rid of it after someone prys it out of my cold dead hands. I love that gun it's not worth much but I wouldn't sell it ever.

spartywrx
July 7, 2009, 11:48 PM
Ruger 10/22. Got it for Christmas when I was 16. A long long time ago........................2002 :neener:

mrtwister_jbo
July 7, 2009, 11:53 PM
o yea not 4 sale
1st h&r 410 given 2 me by my grandfather at age 8
ted williams model 200 20ga poly choke given by parents xmas age 10
1st gun bought model 500 moss combo 12ga
1st handgun rugar target pistol 22cal by my dad 18 bday
1st handgun bought rugar redhawk 44mag 7 1/2'' stainless 21st b day present 2 meself :)
twister

gking
July 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
I actually have a picture somewhere of me sitting in a high chair with cake all over my face and a Winchester 9422 XTR laying on the table in front of me. My bib says "I'm 1!"

I still have never shot that particular weapon though, but I still shoot the .410 I got in 1st or 2nd grade occasionally. I just get the 9422 out and inspect/clean it every once in a while. It's still in the box with all the papers and everything. My dad won it somehow at a coon hunting club.

HydeSmyler
July 8, 2009, 12:04 AM
My first gun was a savage/stevens .22 autoloader tube fed. Birthday present when I turned 14. Still have it and it shoots great. Brings back memories of long summer days plinking away cheap ammo with friends.

revals
July 8, 2009, 12:17 AM
My first gun was given to me by my father. It was purchased new by my great grandfather and has been passed down in the family ever since. It's a Remington Model 17 20ga. It is has seen a lot of hunts but still looks good as new, it has been cared for very well over the years and I intend to continue doing so.

wrs840
July 8, 2009, 12:18 AM
Brings back memories of long summer days plinking away cheap ammo with friends.

And what memories they were... I hate to admit it, but I shot my Tonka trucks and GI Joes to shreads. Kinda wish I hadn't destroyed the Tonkas. When one friend's (very 60's liberal) dad came home and found us shooting .22s at GI Joes that were bound, blindfolded, and hanging from hangman's nooses, he was horrified... Oh well. Neither of us turned into axe murderers. :D

Les

david_the_greek
July 8, 2009, 12:25 AM
first gun I bought on my own, for myself was a 9mm CZ PCR.

mljdeckard
July 8, 2009, 12:54 AM
It's an FIE knockoff of a Remington Nylon 66. I'm about to clean it up and take it to the range with the boys.

Eightball
July 8, 2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I still have it. Though a Samco 1916 Spanish Guardia Mauser's still a pretty odd thing to own. Every so often I toy with "sporterizing" the thing, then think about how much that would cost.......bleah.

Still have my first handgun, too.....a S&W 620. That thing is my pride and joy in my firearm collection.

Pack
July 8, 2009, 02:22 AM
I didn't have the fortune of growing up in a family with a shooting/outdoorsman tradition. We didn't have any guns until I was 14 (1996). It was at this point I had more or less formulated who I was politically. I went to my dad and told him, in no uncertain terms, that our total lack of armament was utterly inexcusable, if we dare refer to ourselves as Americans.

Luckily for me at the time, this was met with acceptance on his part, rather than a rebuke for insubordination. :D

Turning to a friend of his that "knew guns", he immediately bought the first of ours, a Colt HBAR II and a Para Ordnance P14.45.

The first guns that were truly mine alone came a short time later, when I bought a Mauser K98k and he got me a stainless Colt 1991A1.

We still have them all (despite the fact that HBAR II was made during the ban - proper M193 fodder out of the naked end of a 16" bbl isn't an ideal defensive proposition in terms of flash).

MovedWest
July 8, 2009, 03:11 AM
So weird to think about this... I grew up with every Ruger known to man in our household. I also shot competitively in high school and even have trophies. Shooting was a part of life, but I never had my own gun until I was 20.

The gun I got was a stainless Ruger 10/22 with a walnut stock as part of a trade for a pair of row 1 tickets to a Pink Floyd concert. Pretty gun, but I never really bonded with it as I was more interested in chasing skirts at that time in my life. When I moved to Australia it went away, but I don't recall what happened to it or who got it. :confused:

It wasn't until I bought my first Ruger Super Blackhawk 9 years later that I had my first firearm that I picked out, paid for, and had registered to me. Still have it and plan on passing it down to my kids when the time is right. :)

-MW

lechiffre
July 8, 2009, 03:15 AM
sold it twice. it came back twice. i still have it.

jimsmith80
July 8, 2009, 03:26 AM
FIE 20 gauge single shot. Kicks like a mule on meth! I thought all guns kicked like that! First 12 gauge I fired kicked alot less, I was kinda like hmmmm? Hey newtons laws din't make sense at 10! It is still in the safe, though over the years I have don't take it to the range or out hunting at offten. But now and then I take it out just to take it. I won't ever sell it! I suppose if someone wanted to give me 100k for it, then I would sell it, but other than that it is gonna stay. and I am gonna be nice and NOT give that to any of my future children! (All I had was a single mom who said if I saved I could get a gun, and we lived in the city, so I had to take it to our pastors house to shoot pidgens out of their barn, if I wanted to shoot it. thus how I ended up with a mule kicker as a kid!)

bootless
July 8, 2009, 04:30 AM
ERA 12ga. It's had a couple homemade forearms over the years but I shoot it better then my new guns for some reason

godsey5
July 8, 2009, 04:58 AM
yes. Ruger 10/22. No longer as I received it though. New stock,barrel,trigger,hammer and sear.

Jim

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 8, 2009, 05:13 AM
Ruger P95 in 2007

Got a job as an armored car guard, needed a gun to carry. Knew nothing at all about guns. Told the guy at the gun shop my situation and he showed me the P95. The trusty pistol has been at my side for 2 years and I'm happy. Wouldn't get rid of the thing ever.

PAPACHUCK
July 8, 2009, 06:54 AM
I still have my first, a Ithica M66 SuperSingle in 20ga. I got it on my 14th b-day. That was a long time ago.

tju1973
July 8, 2009, 07:29 AM
My first gun (non BB) was a single shot .410 (Sears I think)-- but the first gun that was mine was a Marlin 60 I got in 6th grade--- still have it (I am 36),still shoot it, and it still can take a squirrel with the best of em... 8*)

Deus Machina
July 8, 2009, 08:04 AM
My first handgun is a S&W 469 (double-stack 'compact' 9mm) that must be as old as I am. Bought it instead of a .22 because of a rash of break-ins in my area.

Still have it, and it has a 'soul' like a good old cop. It may not be that accurate, but it works every time, it has good honest holster wear, and it just feels 'friendly' in my hand, like a trusted buddy.

I'm looking to replace it for holster duty (the accuracy thing, and the trigger's the usual 2nd-gen S&W wonkiness), but I'll be shooting squirrels with it before even starvation can pry it away.

Nuke8401
July 8, 2009, 08:22 AM
Yes, Sears .22lr semi-auto. Would never think of letting it go, present from my dad, 1969, I was 9 yrs old. Still take it to the range and shoot an occasional squirrel with it. Has never broken or failed in any way. I can't imagine how many bricks of .22 I have shot through it.

My dad and this rifle taught me the only real firearm safety rule; "Don't point it at anything you don't want to kill".

chiggerbyt
July 8, 2009, 08:37 AM
J C Higgins bolt action single shot 410. It returns to safety everytime bolt is opened and closed. Given to me for Christmas in 1961 by my parents. Used for everything-- rabbits, squirrels, doves,quail and whatever critter needed to be dealt with. I in turn gave it to my oldest son (his first gun) and he has now given it to his oldest son (his first gun). It seems destined to stay awhile.

Smithiac
July 8, 2009, 08:42 AM
Still have it Remington 870 20ga. Bought it when I was 12 from my grandpa.

Devilfrog
July 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
Colt King Cobra I bought back in 1996. Still have it, still shoot it and its still one of my favorites.

chriske
July 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
CZ mod 452 bolt action .22 LR rifle.
Still as slick, reliable & accurate as ever, after 25 years.

CoRoMo
July 8, 2009, 09:11 AM
Daddy bought me a H&R Pardner 12ga. when I was in high school.
http://www.hr1871.com/Images/photo_pardner.jpg

That SG made pheasants fall out of the sky every year.
I don't shoot it much anymore, but it ain't getting away from me.

mcdonl
July 8, 2009, 09:18 AM
Yes.... I think... I never checked serial numbers but I sold my first gun, a marlin mod 60 to a good friend, and have since bought a model 60 from him and it was stated to have been mine. But, it was 30 years ago that I got it for a birthday, so I never checked serial numbers when I was 12....

grilledcheese
July 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
Mossberg model 183K bolt-action shotgun in .410. My brother and I both got one for Christmas when we were maybe 13 or 14. I think we hunted darned near everything that walked, crawled, or flew with those things...:D

Jeffrey

3pairs12
July 8, 2009, 09:27 AM
Still own it 25 years later. H&R .410. My 11 year old thinks its hers though, since she killed her first dove with it this year.

jhco
July 8, 2009, 10:00 AM
My very first gun was a Marlin 60 it was given to me by my parents when I was a child.
The first gun that I ever bought was a two-fer I bought a SKB 505 12ga and a NIB norinco SKS and payed $400 for both. The guy I bought them from was a family friend who was storing them in my dads safe to keep his ex from getting them after storing them for 10+ years he didn't want them anymore and asked if I wanted to buy them I was 16. The first handgun I ever bought was a Glock 23 I was 20 and my mother bought for me as I wasn't old enough. I still have them all and don't plan to part with any soon.

raskolnikov_22
July 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
My very first gun was a Remington 870 my dad bought so we could dove hunt. I still have it: now it has an 18" police barrel, synthetic stock, and police trigger group and rests beside my bed.

The very first gun I bought for myself was a Beretta 92FS. Still have that too.

TiredOleMan
July 8, 2009, 10:38 AM
Mine was a Marlin bolt action .22, tubular magazine & peep sights, I got it when I was 14 so that makes it 50 years old. Still in like-new condition & I'm getting ready to give it to my grandson who's turning 12.

bnkrazy
July 8, 2009, 10:40 AM
My first was a 20ga Noble double barrel shotgun.

Killed many a squirrel, rabbit and even few deer with it.

Now, she's relegated to clay pigeon and new / young shooter training.

peyton
July 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
Yep, I still have my marlin mod 60. It was given to me for Christmas in 1974. It is the only 22 rifle I own and I shoot it a lot.

maulme
July 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
My first gun was a Sears semi-auto (made by High Standard) that my dad bought for me in '73 to practice with before I went to Boy Scout camp. The camp used single shot Mossberg target rifles, which I fell in love with. When I got home from camp, pop let me sell the Sears gun and use the money (with some extra $ from him) to buy a Mossberg 144LSB.

I still have that 144 in my safe. I haven't shot it in years, but sometimes I take it out, slip my arm through the cuff, and point it at a spot on the wall. Reminds me of all the good times I had shooting with my pop.

searcher451
July 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
It's an Old Model Ruger Bearcat that I got as kid in the early '60s. I still take it to the range from time to time as well; it never fails to put a smile on my face.

I whittles what I see
July 8, 2009, 11:43 AM
first gun was a marlin youth bolt action .22. I got it when I was about 6 are so about 1988. Sold it when i was 13 to my uncle for 75 bucks. Then was given the rifle back when my uncle died. Was mad at first cuz I have half a dozen .22 rifles and didn't want another back. But now that I think about it I wouldn't trade it for the world.

deanodog
July 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
High Standard double nine 22rf. Bought in the 70s and still have it. I may sell it soon.

rp4130
July 8, 2009, 12:03 PM
My first gun was my father's car gun from when he was a sheriffs deputy. For some reason he bought a Ruger sp101 in 9mm. He gifted it to me and said it would make for a fine starter gun. It is not going to leave me until I have some off spring to gift it to.

ThePunisher'sArmory
July 8, 2009, 12:10 PM
My first gun was a Daisey bolt action .22lr that my dad bought me when i was about 13, as i recall. I still own it and occasionally still shoot it. It will be saved to teach my son or daughter to shoot when i have kids.:)

sneedb82
July 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
Walther P22, Military Green/Black with extra magazines, short 3 1/2" barrel. Sold it to appease my mother (still lived at home at the time, and she was anti-gun).

geronimo509
July 8, 2009, 12:14 PM
My first gun was an XD.45 service model. Absolutely perfect gun, but I didnt have a need for it and I wanted a kahr mk9. I have a double stacked para and a moss. 500 for HD. So I didnt need that anymore.

thedavemyster
July 8, 2009, 12:51 PM
My first gun was a Winchester model 37 single shot 20 guage, a Christmas present from my Dad.

I sold it to help my brother finance an engagement ring.

I am really sorry that I do not still have it!

LeverGunJunkie
July 8, 2009, 01:27 PM
Sears-Roebuck (Stevens) semi-auto .22. Forgot the model number. Good starter gun, but nothing special. Developed a problem where the bolt kept hitting/hanging up on the magazine. Found a replacement mag at a gunshow, but the jerk tried to rip me off for $75 (more than the gun was worth). I traded for a 10/22, which I won't trash given its loyal following here, but suffice it to say, was not for me.

While it was my first gun, I don't particularly miss it.

CountGlockula
July 8, 2009, 01:28 PM
Yes, I still have it and will never part with it.

danprkr
July 8, 2009, 01:35 PM
First gun was given to me by my dad, ruger security.Biggest piece of crap ever made by man.Dad said sell it if it's that bad.

Odd, I loved my Security Six - it was a great gun. Never acted up, and accurate as could be. Sweet trigger, and great adjustable sights. Carried for several years. Lost it to the ex wife in the divorce, and it broke my heart. I really miss that gun, and it wasn't even my first. The x nope don't miss her at all, but that gun - oh yeah. Anyone got one in stainless with the 3" barrel, adjustable sights, and factory grips? If so we can talk trade or purchase.

esq_stu
July 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
Browning BDA .45 (Sig P220), bought new in the '70s. I traded it within a year for a Colt Series '70 1911 Gov't model. Could not get parts or accessories for the BDA, and could not adjust sights for different loads.

ZO6Vettever
July 8, 2009, 01:48 PM
Daisy Red Ryder, later a Daisy pump. Then a 22 bolt action and a 22/22 Mag H&R revolver. Still have the H&R and it still a good shooter.

gregormeister
July 8, 2009, 01:48 PM
Other then a select few, I'd never get rid of 3 of them. I have to admit, that I went through guns like toilet paper when I was 18 to 23.

My first was a Stevens .22 single shot, I sold it when I got stationed in California for 50 bucks and regret it to this day. My other loss was my first deer rifle, my Win. Mod. 70 Feather weight in 30-06, another leaving for California sale that I would give my right pinky to have back.

I learned my lesson though, and now I hold on to everything that is reliable. I still buy odds and ends just for resale.

Nate1778
July 8, 2009, 02:02 PM
Marlin .22 auto with a scope. Still love that gun and it is still dead on accurate.

Madcap_Magician
July 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
My first gun was a Remington 597, sold last summer to replace my blue-screen-of-death laptop.

Skillet
July 8, 2009, 02:58 PM
my first gun was a daisy lever action buck bb gun
my first REAL gun is a mossberg .22 plinkster from when they started making them

twinsdad
July 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yes, I still love my Marlin 336. It was bought new when I was 14 for $98.

Tamlin
July 8, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yep - a Glenfield Model 60 .22 rifle I bought from a pawn shop when I was 16. Still have it, and it still shoots great! Won't ever get rid of it.

rs999
July 8, 2009, 09:09 PM
"Do you still own it?" Nope, traded it in.

"Do you wish you still did?" Nope.

"What was it, and what would you do to have it back, or what would it take to get it away from you?"

Glock 17 used as trade credit for a Ruger SP101 3", and there's nothing I would do to go back to the killer tupperware.

JWF III
July 8, 2009, 09:21 PM
I didn't read all the replys. But I'm sure I'm not the first to say another choice is needed in the poll. "Yes, and I'll die with it." Or "Yes, and I'll never get rid of it."

Stevens 311- Series G, 20 ga. The stock had ~4 inches cut off so that my little butt could shoulder it. I later used a piece of 1/8" oak for filler where the saw blade cut, and put the cut off piece back on the original stock. Refinished back to original with Golden Oak Stain.

If my kids want to keep this gun, they'll have to pull it out of the coffin before they cover me up. Otherwise I'll be looking for a covey of quail outside of the gates.

Wyman

BMF500
July 8, 2009, 09:27 PM
Savage .22lr rifle when I was 6. Still have it, belonged to my great-grandfather and my grandfather who give it to me. I will part with it as soon as my son is old enough to graduate from an air rifle.

janedoedad
July 8, 2009, 09:32 PM
No, Winchester Model 52

Stolen when my house was burglarized in Idaho Falls, ID, June 1983. The theives also took my Nylon 66 and 77, food and sleeping bags. They left behind two bolt-action Mausers, one was Japanese, I forget the other.

I really would like the Model 52 back.

illinois brass man
July 8, 2009, 09:35 PM
Mine was a stephens 22 the stock had to be cut down so I could shoulder it. I think I was 4 or 5 when i got it

cratti
July 8, 2009, 09:36 PM
First gun I OWNED?
Remington Nylon 66. I technically don't HAVE it but still OWN it. It's in Michigan.
First I bought? Fabarm FP6. And I have that one. Both fantastic guns.

mustachio
July 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
It was a Dan Wesson 2.5" Model 15-2 in .357 that I eventually added a 6" barrel to it. No, I don't still have it and Yes, I do regret selling it. I bought it back in 1980-81

therealdoublel
July 8, 2009, 09:40 PM
Winchester Model 62A, Still My Favorite .22!

Deckard
July 8, 2009, 09:56 PM
Swedish Mauser M96...still one of my favorite guns. I liked it so much I bought an M38.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 8, 2009, 10:12 PM
MY fist gun was a savage 22. I shot is so much I had to have it repaired (Firing pun, spring, ejector, etc.) 2 times. The 2nd time the gunsmith said, just get a new one, for what it would cost to fix this one.

So I did.

UniversalFrost
July 8, 2009, 10:58 PM
stevens bolt action clip fed 20 gauge.

still got it, still drag it out from time to time.

has killed more rabbits, birds (quail, pheasants, etc..) squirrels, yotes than I can remember.

it kicks like a mule because of a poorly designed stock and the clip release is worn and will drop out of the gun from time to time (I have a built in habit to just put supporting hand way back on forearm to hold the clip).

I am so used to this gun from shooting it all my life i rarely miss with it and folks laugh when I drag it to the range along with my citori (total ends of the spectrum with teh citori being a deluxe model o/u $2k gun)when i shoot clays and I end up out shooting them with the old stevens and their jaws drop :D

j-easy
July 8, 2009, 11:17 PM
Mosin-Nagant 91/30

the price was right

Sharpie1
July 8, 2009, 11:50 PM
I have a Winchester .410 single shotgun which I am told was purchased for me by my maternal grandfather before I was born. I do remember all through my childhood that as I looked through the glass doors of the gun cabinet in the home where I grew up - that I was told that "that" gun was mine and that I could have it when I was older.

I began hunting with it when I was 10 or 11, on trips with my father. I have it now in a gun cabinet here at my house - with some other shotguns. I never take it out of the cabinet unless I'm showing it to others. I have not fired it in at least 15 years.

My grandfather willed me several other guns when he passed, such as a Model 36 J-frame, an 870 Wingmaster 12ga, an 1870 Springfield rifle, a model 700 .30-06, a Winchester 1897 16 gauge and a couple other antique guns. Even with that however, of all my worldly posessions, that .410 Winchester is my most prized one.

I told my wife if this house ever starts to burn down to make sure she gets my laptop, the external hard drive on my desk and that .410 out of here before anything else.

meytind
July 9, 2009, 12:04 AM
The first gun I ever fired was a Sig 9mm pistol my dad rented for me at a range. I liked it because it fit my hand very well. I just wish I remembered the model number. The first gun I ever bought was a Remington 870 12ga. Don't think I'll ever part with it.

mongo4567
July 9, 2009, 01:17 AM
My first was a Marlin bolt action .22 with a magazine. My dad got it for me when I was about 12, still have it.

Quilbilly
July 9, 2009, 01:21 AM
Maverick 88 and an Airweight. No way I would sell them!

CajunBass
July 9, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yes, I still "own" my first gun, an Ithaca M-66, 20 ga, "SuperSingle" shotgun. 26" barrel, modified choke.

My son has it now, but since I ain't dead, it's still mine. He's just keeping it.

Do I wish I had it back? Not really. I wouldn't use it. I doubt he does. Maybe his kids someday.

KarenTOC
July 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
I voted "someone in my family does."

Last year I inherited my first gun, an S&W 642, from my father-in-law. I didn't like it. My son offered to trade for the S&W 10-5 that he inherited from his father. I love the 10. My son later gave the 642 to his uncle. So my father-in-law's youngest son now has the gun I originally inherited and I have the gun my son inherited from my husband, and everyone is happy. Even my son is happy because he knows he'll eventually get the 10 back when he inherits it from me:)

I wish I still had the 642. I traded it away because of the noise and recoil. After a year of shooting various handguns, I think that probably wouldn't be an issue now. However, if I had kept the 642, I wouldn't have the 10. I guess I'm greedy - I want them both lol.

Tony50ae
July 9, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have a used S&W M66 2 1/2" barrel 357. I bought it in 1999. It is the model that that still has the firing pin mounted on the hammer. Thought about selling it a couple of times, but thought, hey it was my first gun!

bearmgc
July 9, 2009, 10:57 AM
Given by the US Army to use, M16A1. The first one I bought was a Winchester Big Bore 375Win, but sadly didn't keep it. I didn't know what I had, and only bought it to help a fellow soldier make his child support payment.

Deanimator
July 9, 2009, 10:59 AM
Commission 88 arsenal cut down to "short rifle" length, probably by the Turkish forestry service.

A fun gun, and the first full power rifle I ever fired. Bought it through the mail in '77 when I was in college. A bunch of us bought Commission 88s of various kinds that year.

I've got a full length infantry rifle now. I never shoot it. They're not really safe to shoot with factory ammunition, since contrary to common belief when they were imported, they weren't actually rebarreled to .323 (S). Instead, they were given more freebore so that the .323 bullet didn't hit the .318 bore quite so fast. Knowing what I know now, I'd only shoot one with a proper .323 barrel, or if I handloaded with .318 bullets, which aren't cheap.

I've got no place to shoot a rifle now, so it's a moot point.

JohnBT
July 9, 2009, 03:16 PM
I think the first one I "owned" - if you can own a gun when you are 5 or 10 - was a Savage Model 24 .22Mag/.410. I don't miss it, too heavy.

I still have the Marlin Mountie my uncle gave me in 1963.

I quickly dumped the Fox Model B 12 ga I got along about the same time and I sure don't miss that heavy hard kicking 2x4 piece of stuff. Well, maybe it wouldn't seem so heavy now that I'm bigger.

John

fase3
July 9, 2009, 08:18 PM
Model 42 Winchester .410. My Godfather(Great Uncle) gave it to me when I was nine. Still have it at age 68 and there is not enough money to get it away from me. How many rabbits,doves,etc. it has taken over the years is large!

hillbillydelux
July 9, 2009, 08:39 PM
Wow this just brought back some memories. My first gun was a black powder dragoon replica. Kind of a strange first gun now that I think of it but that gun taught me an awfull lot. It wasnt very accurate (or maby I wasnt very good with it) but it sure was fun.

Wish I still had it. No not really.

76shuvlinoff
July 9, 2009, 09:57 PM
First non air rifle circa 1972-3ish - Ted Williams lever action single shot .22, I was 12 or so. I have a Marlin 39A and a 60 but sometimes I get out the Ted William single shot to thin the rabbit herd in the yard ....and the wife pops gofers with it.
I think the single shot makes you feel like you're proving a point and you focus on that shot. The thing is carbine size with rifle weight. With just iron sites it's still accurate as all get out.

MTMilitiaman
July 9, 2009, 09:59 PM
First 4473 I signed was for a slightly used Remington M870 Wingmaster 12 gauge, which I still have.

First firearm I was given was a M700 ADL in .270 Win my dad bought for me when I was 14. It was right-handed, I shot left-handed, so I eventually replaced it with the M700LH BDL 7mm Rem Mag I still use. The .270 is still in the family. I believe my brother is trying to build something on it...

Rockwell1
July 9, 2009, 10:06 PM
Do you still own it?

No, I gave it away several years ago

Do you wish you still did?

No It wasn't all that accurate and I didn't care for the safety

What was it,

S&W model 910 9mm

what would you do to have it back, or what would it take to get it away from you?

N/A

Gunfighter123
July 9, 2009, 10:22 PM
Mom bought me a Rem. Nylon 66 Apache Black ---- that was 40 years ago and I still own it and IT"S NOT FOR SALE EVER !!!! I will offer it to my daughter when she gets married -- if she don't want it , then I will have it cremated with me !!!

Erik M
July 9, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yep, Marlin Midel 60SS. Added a Dragunov style fiberglass stock and a 30mm red dot site. Still functions great.

gbran
July 9, 2009, 10:54 PM
After several years as a very young one shooting my dad's guns, the first that he gave me that was officially mine was a Nylon 66. This was in about 1962. The first firearm I purchased on my own was a Revelation 12ga pump that I bought new at the local Western Auto in about 1968.

Ruffneck
July 9, 2009, 11:00 PM
10th birthday from dad given to him from grandpa
Ithaca .22lr lever tube mag fed
still have it and plan to pass it to my children

The Deer Hunter
July 9, 2009, 11:10 PM
My 870 is sitting next to my bed, right now. It's usually in the closet, however, I've taken the time to appreciate how it works.

Hardtarget
July 9, 2009, 11:53 PM
I still have the first gun I hunted with...a Savage, mod 24...22/410. and...

the first gun given to me for Christmas...a Ruger, .22 auto....and...

the first I purchased...a Colt Diamondback .38 special.

I've said it before...when a gun comes to me, it has a home for life!

Mark

10-Ring
July 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
Bought my first gun when I turned 21 -- sold it before I turned 23 -- POS. The only way I'd take it back is if it came w/ my HK 91 I sold off (like an idiot) before the AWB :rolleyes: Otherwise, I feel sorry for the guy that owns that POS

Legionnaire
July 10, 2009, 11:35 AM
12 gauge Mossberg 500 combo given to me as a gift. Still in the safe, now with three different barrels. Still takes a deer every year during NY's regular season, and gets the occasional squirrel to boot.

schnarrgj
July 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
My parents gave me a Rem Nylon 66 back in the late60's. Still have it and all of my children have used it.

yokel
July 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
Semi-auto M16 replica chambered in .22 LR that my dear Uncle Charles purchased for me back in the early 1980s.

Still have it laying around here somewhere.

chris in va
July 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
First gun was a Marlin 60 that jammed all the time. Don't regret selling it one bit. First handgun was a Ruger 22/45 that...you guessed it, jammed all the time. Sold it, got a CZ.

glassman
July 10, 2009, 07:34 PM
First gun was a Remington bolt action 16ga shotgun I bought when I was in boy scouts. The thing was a beast...big, long and heavy. My dad and I would shoot skeet every now and again but it mostly lived in my bedroom closet. When I got out of the service and money was tight, I moved into an apartment in a very bad neighborhood. I took a pipe cutter and a saw and cut it down to the point that it was big and heavy but not so long. When things got better, I moved into a safer neighborhood and took out the pipe cutter again. This time to dispose of the thing in pieces noone could use. I sometimes think about that and wonder how I could have been so dumb.

millertyme
August 2, 2009, 04:09 PM
Romanian AK-47. Bought it shortly after my 21st birthday along with a case of Wolf for $375 plus tax. Sold it to a buddy with 2 east german mags, and about 500 rds for $550. Needed the money and was glad I had the gun to get the money, but now I wish I had that rifle back. Next was a used Wingmaster that I don't imagine I'll ever get rid of.

stonehenge69
August 2, 2009, 04:27 PM
Still got mine. Mossberg 152K.
My dad bought it sometime in the 50's and gave it to me in 67.
I took it out to the range just a couple weeks ago and it it still shoots great.

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/Mossberg152K.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Your very first gun.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!