Good gun magazine

PDA

crawdaddy
July 8, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm looking for a good informative gun oriented magazine to subscribe to. I'm already getting American Rifleman. Rifles are my first love but I would like to get information on long guns and handguns in general. I'm thinking Guns and Ammo, but it seems to me that they don't go into great detail, but I've never had a subscription just read a few off the rack. So any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good gun magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jhco
July 8, 2009, 12:21 PM
"guns and ammo" is good and so is "handguns"

riverrat373
July 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Try "Rifle Shooter".

mcdonl
July 8, 2009, 12:44 PM
Guns and Ammo has a lot of mags like AR-15, Handguns, 1911 Pistols, etc.... I like American Handgunner a lot too.

Smokey Joe
July 8, 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't subscribe to any--except American Rifleman--what I do is go to a store that has a good selection and page through the tables of contents. IF a particular magazine has an article I want to read and save, I buy it. Usually none does.

I'm picky; only read articles about loads and firearms and techniques in which I have a specific interest. There is too much else to do to read just any old thing.

Probably I spend less on magazines this way than if I were to subscribe to a couple--and I certainly throw away a lot less paper I don't want.

ACORN
July 8, 2009, 02:25 PM
"Gun Week"

Ruggles
July 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
American Handgunner
Guns

Flynt
July 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
While we're on the topic, how about gun magazines that provide fair reviews of guns? Most publications depend on firearms industry ad revenue, and they've never met a gun that doesn't get a good review.

Coltman 77
July 8, 2009, 05:01 PM
Take a look at "Combat Handguns", I enjoy it.

oneounceload
July 8, 2009, 05:48 PM
IMO, I USED to subscribe to G&A, Shooting Times, etc....but most are getting leaner and leaner and the articles seem to be nothing more than an ad for that particular gun.

I DO subscribe to one gun mag - it is for shotguns - Shooting Sportsmen........the articles.....writers.....and photos are awesome

SteelyNirvana
July 8, 2009, 05:54 PM
Stay away from Guns and Ammo. Unless it's changed in the past year, it's a watse of paper. Nothing but articles on expensive guns and very little on the RKBA issue, handloading and other articles that have any interest to the common shooter. If you want to see what I mean pick up a copy from the late 80's or early 90's.

I would recommend GUNS, American Handgunner and if your a reloader, Handloader. Those are the only three I feel are worthy of spending my hard earned money subscribing to.

35Rem
July 8, 2009, 05:55 PM
American Handgunner
Guns

-These are the best out there.

Big Wes
July 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
Gun Tests....no ads just straight skinny on all types of guns.
:)

BHP FAN
July 8, 2009, 07:47 PM
Guns of the West.

Ratshooter
July 8, 2009, 07:51 PM
The only mags I subscribe to are Handloader and Rifle Magazine from Wolf publishing. They have good detailed articles with lots of load data. Not the little 3-4 paragraph reveiws most mage seem to have now.

The Lone Haranguer
July 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
They only come out once a year, but I like Massad Ayoob's Complete Book of Handguns compilations. These are put out by the same company that publishes Combat Handguns.

EvanWilliams
July 8, 2009, 08:33 PM
Most gun mags are rags! You are paying to have advertisements delivered to your door. :barf:
I go get Gun Tests. American Rifleman as it goes with being an NRA member and keeps you current on what is going on with NRA. I agree that Combat Handguns is OK. Massad Ayoobs articles are worth it.
I have heard good things about gun week and will likely get a sub.

BTW, gettin on THR will teach you more than any gun mag

oneounceload
July 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
Stay away from Guns and Ammo. Unless it's changed in the past year, it's a watse of paper. Nothing but articles on expensive guns

HUH??....expensive guns??? maybe, if your budget is $100...........they cover all kinds of guns....my issue with them, is they haven't written about a gun they didn't like for some reason, especially if that mfg. bought an ad.....but expensive????...not hardly....

Smokey Joe
July 8, 2009, 11:33 PM
Well, actually, there are two problems. (1) As with any other magazine, there are an awful lot of articles about guns I'm not interested in. Why should I pay a subscription for information that isn't useful to me. (2) Gun Tests has--how to say this politely--an "aggressive" subscription policy. I answered an ad offering one free issue, which was sent. Next thing I knew, there was a collection agency expecting me to pay for a years' subscription! This might have just been a mistake if it were only me, but Gun Tests comes up from time to time on these gun discussion boards, and several other members have reported the same or similar tactics.

Consumer Reports does the same sort of bias-free testing, but for household products and cars, not guns. They have a website you can subscribe to (I do) where you can go any time and look up exactly the item you want information on. IF Gun Tests had a similar website, and IF they hadn't treated me so shabbily, such a website might be an interesting one to which to subscribe.

ETA--Of course, there's a third problem with Gun Tests. As with almost any gun magazine, they test and report on the newest, latest, and greatest, and for mass consumption. Most of the guns I'm interested in are either old grungy milsurps, antiques, guns that have been re-worked from something else, or high-falutin' target guns that Joe Average couldn't care less about. Gun Tests isn't going to evaluate, for example, a Jim Clark custom job on a 40-year-old Series 70 1911. If I only bought off-the-shelf, sparkly new guns, the info in Gun Tests might be a lot more useful to me.

Sunray
July 8, 2009, 11:43 PM
"...the articles seem to be nothing more than..." And constant repeats of the same subjects. I've seen one article, in any gun rag, in 30 some years, that didn't consider the subject firearm the best thing ever made.

stevelyn
July 9, 2009, 01:01 AM
American Handgunner
Guns

-These are the best out there.

Yup, and I would also add RIFLE and HANDLOADER to that list.

EvanWilliams
July 9, 2009, 01:22 AM
How many articles on the 1911 have been done to date? A trillion?
Geez.

4v50 Gary
July 9, 2009, 02:34 AM
Gave up on Gun Tests years ago. They complained about minor things and didn't report on fabrication techniques (parts stamped, casted, MIM, forged), because each writer was independent (they sold their articles to the magazine and it wasn't like there was a staff of writers - at least when I subscribed over ten years ago), there was no standard objective test applied to all guns, and last, I could get the same type of information over the internet or decent gun boards like THR.

Pack
July 9, 2009, 02:45 AM
I get "Guns & Ammo" and "Gun Tests".

While it's not perfect, I like "Gun Tests" a great deal more. As word of it has spread, their staff has moved agressively to improve the magazine. Just within the past few months, they improved their website, transitioned to color photos, and included charts which listed a host of guns of the same general category as those in a particular test, so as to give handy reference of the overall "rankings" in a particular niche.

I like a lot of the writing in Guns & Ammo. You just have to acclimate yourself to the overwhelming bias in favor of certain manufacturers... :scrutiny:

*cough* RUGER *cough*

COMPNOR
July 9, 2009, 02:52 AM
Stay away from Guns and Ammo. Unless it's changed in the past year, it's a watse of paper. Nothing but articles on expensive guns and very little on the RKBA issue, handloading and other articles that have any interest to the common shooter.

And how do you know what the "common" shooter wants in a magazine? I've enjoyed Guns & Ammo. I don't subscribe, but if I see it on the Newstand and its got some articles I might be interested in, I pick it up.

garyhan
July 9, 2009, 03:29 AM
Currently, the popular mags I find most useful are, Rifle, Guns, and Gun Tests. I think it's true that Gun Tests often makes their evaluations on criteria that are not important to many of u, but the data tends to be useful. Rifle has probably had the most consitently good articles over the years, though some feel it has declined recently. Guns, I feel, has improved over the last couple of years and is worth a look. Never take anything from the mags as gospel. Let time and experience form your opinions.

gary

SteelyNirvana
July 9, 2009, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Stay away from Guns and Ammo. Unless it's changed in the past year, it's a watse of paper. Nothing but articles on expensive guns and very little on the RKBA issue, handloading and other articles that have any interest to the common shooter.
And how do you know what the "common" shooter wants in a magazine? I've enjoyed Guns & Ammo. I don't subscribe, but if I see it on the Newstand and its got some articles I might be interested in, I pick it up.

I didn't realize there were still fans of G&A around. All I'm saying is that the magazine isn't like it used to be. They used to be filled with informative articles that were several pages long. The entire magazine used to be around 140 pages and not 80 some that it is today. This was however back when Peterson publishing owned the magazine and not InterMedia. That's when it started going down hill, IMO, after Peterson quit publishing it.

thorazine
July 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm looking for a good informative gun oriented magazine to subscribe to.

College Girls with Guns. =)

The center folds are the best!!

earlthegoat2
July 9, 2009, 05:47 PM
Basically the only good ones IMO are the ones that cost around 50 bucks for a subscription because these are not so much dictated by the advertisers. Shooting Sportsman and Double Gun Journal are my favorite. Though I read G&A and Handguns and American Handgunner, I do not take it seriously. I read it mainly for spec sheets on guns and though I read and take the opinions of the writers into considersation, I rarely ever agree or consider their conclusions.

I really hate a lot of the mainstream gun magazines for a reason that is not even their own fault. They will run an article on a new gun and then everyone and their brother comes running into my shop or calling and asking I if have what they just read about. Best case scenario I will get it in 6 months. If it is something hot like an FN SCAR it may be years. Kind of aggravating dealing with sheep.

I also like magazines that dont really have a sriting staff so much as they have reader submitted articles. I dont know of a gun magazine like that but Traditional Bowhunter is somewhat like this if you are into traditional archery.

c1ogden
July 9, 2009, 11:16 PM
I get 6 or 7 now but if I could only have one it would be American Handgunner with Combat Handguns running a close second.

BENELLIMONTE
July 9, 2009, 11:43 PM
Rifle Magazine & Handloader

RedAlert
July 10, 2009, 02:38 AM
A quick question for those of you who have read the "Gun Tests" magazine. In your opinion are the actual testing and ratings of various weapons accurate. In other words can you rely on the tests to be factual and accurate?

Thanks,

Ralph

kanewpadle
July 10, 2009, 02:44 AM
Ditto.

Anything by Clint Smith.

BENELLIMONTE
July 10, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hit or miss with Gun Test magazine. Shooting/operating a gun is a combination both subjective and objective observations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good gun magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!