Don't look at this if you are eating......

PDA

Flintknapper
July 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
O.K…………..a rather gross update on the hog I shot last night.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/Boar_7_7_09d.jpg

I had noticed in several of the Trail-Cam pics of him…it appeared he had an old scar or something on one side. Last night when I was taking pics…I noticed an abscess about the size of my fist on his side.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/abcess_1.jpg

I didn’t pay it much attention since it is not uncommon for boars to have a few cuts, scars or pustules. But….this one was quite large and got my curiosity up.

I decided to muster up all of my “gag reflex” this afternoon and cut into the area to see what was causing such a persistence infection.

I got my razor knife, said a quick prayer (“Dear God…please don’t let any of this funk get on me”) and started exploring.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/abcess_2.jpg

I didn’t find anything at first (except a bunch of YUK) but then discovered a hard, gristle like capsule of flesh.

Once I cut into that….look what I found inside:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/flintknapper/abcess_3.jpg

Someone had popped this hog with a .22 sometime in the past. Now I understand why he was so edgy and nervous.

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't look at this if you are eating......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
schlockinz
July 8, 2009, 03:10 PM
put this in the .22 big enough for a hog thread

highorder
July 8, 2009, 03:19 PM
jesus, that was gross.

Thanks for sharing. :barf:

:neener:

Lightninstrike
July 8, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ew man......

:barf:

jhco
July 8, 2009, 03:50 PM
makes me want bacon

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
Is that a heel based rimfire bullet? It kinda looks like it, but no heel. :confused:

But nevermind the infection, holy frijoles, that thing is enormous - what does it weigh?!?

In just in case you ignored the warning and are eating lunch, I'll mention this for your pleasure - that body fluid in that last photo looks a lot like the tomato-alfredo sauce which is delicious on pasta - mmmm, mmm!

put this in the .22 big enough for a hog thread

Yep.

Flintknapper
July 8, 2009, 04:48 PM
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow wrote:

Is that a heel based rimfire bullet? It kinda looks like it, but no heel.

Dr. T,

I will have to show my ignorance and say I do not know what a heel based rimfire bullet is. Hence...I can not answer your question.

It was not deformed in the least and was no more than 3/4" under the hide. This rather suggests it had little velocity left upon impact. Perhaps launched from quite some distance away, who knows.

You have to admire the "shot placement" as well (right in the big middle). ;)

I left the bullet with the hog...but I might be able to retrieve it tomorrow if the coyotes and buzzards have not moved the carcass around too much.

It was gold in color, a hollow-point... and showed very little rifling, that is all I can tell you about it. Well....that and it was YUCKY!

It definitely cured me from being "curious".

Flint.

Savage Shooter
July 8, 2009, 05:42 PM
That's disgusting:barf: and thats a remington golden bullet .22lr I buy them all the time. It looks in amazing condition, the ones I dig out of the coons I shoot are mangled usually if they hit bone that is that one must not have.

divenutt
July 8, 2009, 07:58 PM
I can only imagine the hurt that pig was going through. I'm sure he's very appreciative of your efforts to rid him of discomfort. Score 1 Good Samaritan point for yourself!

There's no way I would have cut that open...nasty! Good job and keep up the good work.

Jeff

MCgunner
July 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
He looks a might plump. LOL

Flintknapper
July 8, 2009, 08:42 PM
MCgunner wrote:

He looks a might plump. LOL

Well....they eat good around here. ;)

They do actually eat alot of corn (and other things) and our hogs are normally in excellent shape, but as you know...the heat causes them to "gas up" in just hours.

Any distention of the belly in the pics is due solely to that (for those who didn't know).

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 10, 2009, 09:37 AM
Well, the "heel" of a .22 rimfire bullet is the part inside the case, which is narrower than the rest of the bullet (smaller diameter). That one doesn't appear to have one, which is why it's weird to me. But it otherwise does look like a .22 rimfire bullet - I dunno. Regardless, it's not nearly big enough to dispatch, espec. with that poor placement. What kind of idgit did that I wonder.

It's still making me hungry for some tomato-alfredo sauce on pasta, though! :)

Lightninstrike
July 10, 2009, 09:46 AM
Daaaayaaaaamn Doc. :barf:

Flintknapper
July 10, 2009, 11:31 AM
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow wrote:

Well, the "heel" of a .22 rimfire bullet is the part inside the case, which is narrower than the rest of the bullet (smaller diameter).
O.K. now I'm with ya Doc. My feeble brain just didn't remember the terminology.

That one doesn't appear to have one, which is why it's weird to me. But it otherwise does look like a .22 rimfire bullet - I dunno.
I really didn't look it at carefully. I was much too busy trying to get a quick pic and not puke.

It was definitely a .22 and I believe someone may have identified it as a "Remington Golden". If it did not have a "heel" it would suggest the bullet was perhaps a .22 WMR (if memory serves).

I'm sure the buzzards have completely cleaned up the carcass by now....so I might go back and see if I can locate the bullet. You've got me wondering.

Of course, its "curiosity" that almost caused me puke to begin with! :( Apparently I'm a slow learner.

Regardless, it's not nearly big enough to dispatch, espec. with that poor placement.
Agreed.

What kind of idgit did that I wonder.
"First Class" is my guess.

It's still making me hungry for some tomato-alfredo sauce on pasta, though!
You're a sick man....DOC! ;)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 10, 2009, 11:42 AM
It was definitely a .22 and I believe someone may have identified it as a "Remington Golden". If it did not have a "heel" it would suggest the bullet was perhaps a .22 WMR (if memory serves).

Ya know what? I think that you're exactly right; must be a .22 WMR bullet.

How much did that pig weigh - do you know?

You're a sick man

I do what I can. :p

Wyobuckaroo
July 10, 2009, 12:27 PM
It got the pig to leave the property of the person who put that bullet into it.

In that regard, it worked perfectly...........

Schofield3
July 10, 2009, 12:35 PM
:barf:

haha, man I feel kind of sorry the poor bastard; He had to be walking around with that damn bullet for some time.

Savage Shooter
July 10, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm telling you that's what it is a remington golden bullet .22lr. I know what I'm talking about I coon hunt a lot and I use all .22lr remington golden bullets because they are extremly accurate in my marlin 60. When I skin the coons a lot of times I will find the bullets because while they are accurate in my gun they don't have much power and don't penetrate much so i get to see what they look like pretty often. Heres a picture to show anyone who doesn't beliveThat one doesn't appear to have one, which is why it's weird to me It has a heel you just have to look close it's hard to tell from the liquid it's laying in.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/Johndeereman19/rem_gold-1.jpg

Flintknapper
July 10, 2009, 11:37 PM
SS, it certainly looks like the Remington.

Thanks for the pics and post.

Flint.

jordan1948
July 10, 2009, 11:42 PM
Wow. I almost lost my supper on the keyboard.....I don't think I'm having another baconator for a while

2RCO
July 10, 2009, 11:54 PM
Flint--I'm glad it's been a few hours since dinner otherwise I would have lost it.

Seriously that white puss is really nasty I can only imagine the smell.:barf:

I may bookmark this thread in the event I ever need to purge myself.....:evil:

Otherwise nice Oinker also reminds me of the Muay Thai vs. Boar thread.

Double Naught Spy
July 11, 2009, 12:06 AM
That is WAAAAAAAAY COOOOOOL work Flint!!!! Thank you for sharing!

paintballdude902
July 11, 2009, 02:47 AM
.......u gonna eat that? ..............god i hope not and no i dont want it lol

that is some pretty suck stuff

we skinned a deer one time and when we went to take the back leg off it started oozing green goo, turned out there was a 2 blade broad head stuck in it

we also had a bear we cleaned for my boss and when i was taking the back strap off a cut my finger it hurt like a mother... sorry bou that, but we got the back strap off and the was an arrow head tucked between the spine and backstrap

so i got a tetnus shot, 4 stitches and 4 days of antibiotics plus somedang good bear chilli we just didnt use that back strap

DRYHUMOR
July 11, 2009, 04:15 AM
Looks like you're well on your way to being a Vet. :D

Nothing like a little exploratory surgery, how do you think the pros learn- on cadavers!

I suspect someone was prob trying to move the hog along off the property. Maybe all they had was a .22

yongxingfreesty
July 11, 2009, 04:28 AM
nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

shappa
July 11, 2009, 04:28 AM
Dang, I'm gonna have nightmares.

moooose102
July 11, 2009, 09:59 AM
well,#1) i would have done the same thing (opened it up). i would want to know what was inside that, to know whether the amimal was good to eat or not. 2) you certainly did the hog a favor, it was doomed to a slow, miserable (lead poisoning) death. 3) have you talked to anyone about lead poisoning of the animal? my only concern (because i have young children) would be if any of the lead could have worked its way into the meat. 4) this should be proof to many of you that a 22 rimfire is for SMALL GAME . good job shooting a NICE hog!

pbearperry
July 11, 2009, 10:09 AM
Shooting an animal that large with such a small calibur is cruel.

Double Naught Spy
July 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
2) you certainly did the hog a favor, it was doomed to a slow, miserable (lead poisoning) death. 3) have you talked to anyone about lead poisoning of the animal? my only concern (because i have young children) would be if any of the lead could have worked its way into the meat.

Lead bullets are left in people all the time. They don't die slow, miserable deaths from the lead. Very little lead actually leaches into their systems. No doubt that hog had a nasty infection, but the bullet recovered was pristine and does NOT show signs of dissolution. That hog would need to live many lifetimes before that slug dissolved enough to be a health issue.

4) this should be proof to many of you that a 22 rimfire is for SMALL GAME

It really isn't, no more so that the broad head arrows found in the animals mentioned above is proof that they are for small game.

freakshow10mm
July 11, 2009, 02:40 PM
Looks like they tried for the spine and it didn't penetrate.

trickyasafox
July 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
lead in that sense won't cause lead poisoning- they tried to outlaw lead for hunting, did studies and found that in fact it does not leach and cause death.

what it did do in this case is make for a miserable time for that hog. How bad was the smell?

dullh
July 11, 2009, 04:20 PM
Geez, I thought from the title this was going to be another "I'm so stupid I just shot myself so I'll tell the whole world - with pictures!" thread...glad it wasn't...

Flintknapper
July 11, 2009, 05:17 PM
dullh wrote:

Geez, I thought from the title this was going to be another "I'm so stupid I just shot myself so I'll tell the whole world - with pictures!" thread.

NOT! :D

I have been handling and shooting firearms for 45 years and can "honestly" say I have NEVER had a negligent discharge...let alone shot myself or someone else.

glad it wasn't...

Me too. :D

yenchisks
July 11, 2009, 05:40 PM
I don't care what some say.a 22lr within 30 yards out of a rifle preferably will dispatch that hog...;)

Flintknapper
July 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
Gentlemen,

My purpose for posting this thread was only to point out the oddity itself, not to weigh the merits of using a .22 rimfire on hogs.

Hopefully, this thread will not degenerate into an argument over what is (and isn't) appropriate to use on hogs. It all depends on circumstance...we can all agree on that.

We do not know how or why this hog was shot....only that it WAS and it survived. The wound was a curiosity, nothing more.

Thank you all for being civil. :D

Flint.

KenWP
July 11, 2009, 06:27 PM
I do that for a living and the smell is pretty bad. Me thinks somebody had to much time on his hands. I have seen infections that had gallons of crap in them from a simple scratch let alone some idiots 22 bullet.

41 Mag
July 12, 2009, 12:36 PM
Aaawww heck, that wasn't nearly as bad as what you all are making it out to be. Just a little infected place like you get with a splinter or sticker. Well slightly bigger, but I bet it would have popped all by it's self in a week or two.

I got one on a quick trip by my friends place while taking down a stand. The wife and I got it loaded on the 4 wheeler and got it to the barn. The wife headed to the local store for ice and I went to town getting the skin off.

About three minutes before she got back, I opened up the chest, and abdomen. There my friends, was some of the wildest looking, light tan silly putty, small piece of lung tissue tumor looking goo stuff, I could have ever had the displeasure of having a nightmare about. That wasn't the BEST PART EITHER, it took a few seconds due to the wind coming through the barn but when the smell hit me, DAAAAYYYUUUMMM.

Now I have a very strong stomach and nothing really grosses me out, but folks I got to tell ya, I had a pretty hard time getting that thing in a tub so that we could haul it off to the back, and it isn't fun trying to drive a 4 wheeler with a towel tied around your face all the while trying your damndest not to puke.

And that wasn't the worst either....

schlockinz
July 12, 2009, 01:44 PM
you puked in the towel didn't you?

qwert65
July 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
There would be no lead poisoning, Prob. the only way to get lead poisoning from a bullet is if it sits in the GI tract. Further that bullet would have eventually worked it's way out, and at that point the wound would begin to heal.

41 Mag
July 13, 2009, 07:45 PM
you puked in the towel didn't you?

Nope sure didn't, but I got to tell you, there were a couple of times, that, well it was damnably close. If I had ever started I would have had to left the whole rig out there till the smell was gone.

It actually wasn't as bad as caping out the buck my bud shot, the second time, after almost two weeks. There are a couple of things we settled on that day, and hunting privileges were one of them. LOL He hit it one weekend jsut before we left to go on an exotic hunt. It bothered him the whole trip and he simply knew he had to have hit the deer but couldn't find any sign of it. Two weeks later while hauling cotton bales out of the field the hauler comes driving up to us real fast telling us about this wide racked buck that simple laid down and hid from him as he came by it in the field. his description fit the one my bud shot at prior so we headed out to investigate. Slowly cruising the end of the rows we finally saw part of a deer a hundred yards or so away, laying between two rows, and we eased out of the Mule and slipped in towards it. It raised it's head and sure enough it was the same buck. He put one through the neck ending it's suffering. The previous shot had hit a limb or something and deflected downward causing the bullet to enter the side of the chest and travel in and under the offside shoulder. The fellow is a great shot, and the range was only about 60yds. From the angle it was easy to see it had been deflected downward. The tough ol buck probably wouldn't have made it too much longer due to infection, but had already covered several miles from the initial hit, and was still trailing does when spotted by the farmer. Needless to say I didn't have much help while getting the cape and horns off that one.

Actually this ol yote we shot was about as bad or worse than either of them,
http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/64/64/8/68/99/2312868990043012562cnjwwV_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2312868990043012562cnjwwV)

Lightninstrike
July 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
^^^

That's a seriously nasty looking case of mange. :barf:

highmountain78
July 13, 2009, 09:48 PM
I am in awe of the sportsman who placed that shot.

Flintknapper
July 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
highmountain78 wrote:

I am in awe of the sportsman who placed that shot.

:D

Yeah, its no easy feat to lob a .22 into the exact geographical center of a hog.

That person earned "bragging rights" for sure. ;)

federalfarmer
July 13, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yum bacon WITH gravey! Yeah Doc your a sick one! :evil:

Weight of piggie?

Cypress
July 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
Great pics man. It's pretty common here to find a bullet in a hog. I would venture to say 1 out of 4 we shoot has a bullet lodged somewhere. Most have healed up just fine. The one I'm getting mounted had a .30 fmj (likely an SKS or AK round) stuck in his shield where someone had shot him from behind and a large patch in his loin and spine that was covered with fragments (high velocity .22 probably). I just can't resist cutting into scar tissue while skinning anymore. I'll try to get a few pics this winter.

ThePunisher'sArmory
July 14, 2009, 02:32 AM
Holy wow batman, thats nasty.:barf:

Readyrod
July 14, 2009, 07:36 AM
Totally gross but very informative. Good lesson on .22's.
Thanks Dr. Tad now I'll never be able to eat tomato alfredo again in my life. Reminds me of the time Bernie the dairy farmer looked down into the manure pit and remarked it looked like pea soup. Can't eat pea soup without gagging anymore either. And don't lets get started on the disgusting dog stories.

chas08
July 14, 2009, 08:50 AM
What kind of idgit did that I wonder.
Probably a PO'd farmer or rancher who was just hoping to kill him either outright or with infection. I don't want to start a debate about the ethics of it, but a lot of that goes on here in the part of Texas I live in. And oh yes, great pics.

H&Hhunter
July 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
Pork always goes better with cottage cheese.

Dr_2_B
August 2, 2009, 08:08 PM
nice pics

PandaBearBG
August 9, 2009, 07:04 AM
I'd like to slap the idiot who is that cruel.

KenWP
August 9, 2009, 09:48 AM
I know of ranchers that prefer to wound deer and elk in the haystacks so that they run away and die someplace else so they don't have to hide the bodies or drag them away.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 9, 2009, 01:47 PM
That's pretty danged cruel if you ask me. Evil really.

PT1911
August 9, 2009, 02:08 PM
sounds like the guy who came into a local shop recently looking for a .22 auto that would shoot shorts... offered up the info that he had deer eating out of his garden and seeing as he had no intention to hunt or eat the deer he was hoping to "gut shot" the deer (does and bucks) so they would run off and die... makes me sick!

alemonkey
August 9, 2009, 03:17 PM
Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and a whole bunch of my dad's cattle got these nasty infected pustules from some bad vaccine or something. We'd vaccinated the calves before taking them to pasture in the spring, and a week or two later about half of them had a huge lump on the side of their necks. We had to catch each of them and lance the pustule to let it drain, then disinfect the wound. The ground inside the corral was one of the nastiest things I've ever seen. Imagine mud made with pus instead of water http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/2199.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't look at this if you are eating......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!