Need to clarify pronunciation of Hoppe's.

PDA

stchman
July 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
Ok, I know I am nit picking but it gets me irritated when people mis-pronounce the name of Hoppe's.

The correct pronunciation is (Hop-eez).

Too many folks pronounce it Hops(like a rabbit) which is wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to clarify pronunciation of Hoppe's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
July 9, 2009, 12:51 PM
This oughta be fun ......:D

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
Does it say this is correct on their website or something? I'm curious as to what foundation of proof the OP has for this.

CoRoMo
July 9, 2009, 12:54 PM
I think I've also heard it pronounced 'Hoe-Peez' before.

stchman
July 9, 2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.hoppes.com/hoppes_tv_9.html

Watch the videos and he clearly uses the correct pronunciation.

TexasRifleman
July 9, 2009, 12:56 PM
Old 3 page argument on this same thing :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=40970

These are always fun lol.

Don't need to know how to pronounce it, just say 'Give me a bottle of #9'

Zundfolge
July 9, 2009, 01:01 PM

Argument over.

CoRoMo
July 9, 2009, 01:49 PM
Argument?

TOTC
July 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I know I am nit picking but it gets me irritated when people mis-pronounce the name of Hoppe's.

The correct pronunciation is (Hop-eez).

Too many folks pronounce it Hops(like a rabbit) which is wrong.

You and Nickintosh got into this again, didn't you?

Quoheleth
July 9, 2009, 02:02 PM

Makes me wish for smell-a-vision.

I think I'm going to try to contact Hoppe's (hop'-peez) and see about making a #9 airfreshener for the home and office.

Q

Fumbler
July 9, 2009, 02:09 PM
Just leave a bottle of it open with a few large patches to wick the liquid up out of the bottle.

Zundfolge
July 9, 2009, 02:16 PM
I think I'm going to try to contact Hoppe's (hop'-peez) and see about making a #9 airfreshener for the home and office.

Genius!

CoRoMo
July 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
I put a dab behind each ear and on each wrist. :D

Kleanbore
July 9, 2009, 02:21 PM
Heard a young person say "Hops" the other day and corrected him kindly....no big deal. It didn't irritate me.

I've been using the stuff for more than 50 years. Been callin' it "hoppies" all my life.

I do not correct people who mispronounce "Walther". Does anyone? How about "Franchi"? "Nagant"? "Sako"?

Anyone get upset when they hear "Berthier" pronounced as "birthy err" or "birth ear"?

Carbine?

Merlot?
:)

Maelstrom
July 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
Well I'll be damned. All this time I've been pronouncing it wrong. Now I have to kill myself to restore my family's honor.

stchman
July 9, 2009, 02:33 PM
This is not nearly as bad as the folks that get really mad over people calling a magazine a clip. We all know it is a magazine, but I do know what they mean.

Should we tell them to get a life as well?

CoRoMo
July 9, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have a hard enough time pronouncing the screen names of THR members.

Pistol Toter
July 9, 2009, 02:43 PM
I use korn licker; that's ezz'er:D. Some one pass the bottle of rabit juce, hipity hopity hops, like a rabit.:D

DAVIDSDIVAD
July 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hah!

Would you look at that, it is pronounced Hoppies.

Who'da thunk?

MattTheHat
July 9, 2009, 03:04 PM
'Give me a bottle of #9'

Just to clarify. Does this mean Hoppe's #9 and "Love Potion #9" AREN'T one in the same? I guess that might clarify some of my problems as of late. ;->

-Matt

J_L_A
July 9, 2009, 03:06 PM
Well I'll be damned. All this time I've been pronouncing it wrong. Now I have to kill myself to restore my family's honor.

Too funny! :D

MT GUNNY
July 9, 2009, 03:08 PM
"Boing" "Boing" "Boing":D

stchman
July 9, 2009, 03:08 PM
I did not think this was such a highly debated topic.

JohnBT
July 9, 2009, 03:37 PM
I was probably 5 or 6 or so before I found out that Hoppe's wasn't named after Hoppy - Hopalong Cassidy.

I can't believe my mother saved some of my stuff from back in the 1950s.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/JohnBT3/DSCN0210.jpg?t=1247164496

Sav .250
July 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
Good thing I just point and nod.........

SCKimberFan
July 9, 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't have to worry about pronouncing it, I use Break Free. That, I can pronounce. :D

Sav .250
July 9, 2009, 04:14 PM
JohnBT: Collector stuff for sure. Hopalong Cassidy.....William Boyd.
Keep that stuff in a safe place.. :)

rcmodel
July 9, 2009, 04:17 PM
You mean after all these 55+ years I've been calling it
Hop-eez Pound Sign 9, I was wrong all along?

rc

Schofield3
July 9, 2009, 04:30 PM
I have a hard enough time pronouncing the screen names of THR members.

Hahahaha

Schofield3
July 9, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hop-eez Pound Sign 9

This thread is gettin funnier each post!!

G19x
July 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
you forgot MOLLE and Heckler&Koch

jephthai
July 9, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hey, to all the guys complaining about this, I find the pronunciation wars fascinating.

I always want to be as correct as possible. Maybe it's because I.T. is an industry where precise terminology is a very good thing -- my geekery may be spilling over into my other hobbies.

Now I have to say it to myself a hundred times every night for a week so it starts to sound normal. Argh.

Hop-eez Pound Sign 9

As a programmer, I will now read it, "Hoppies hash-nine" (which is certainly much better than the ultimate, "Hoppies octothorpe nine").

-Jephthai-

41022collector
July 9, 2009, 04:54 PM
...and here I thought it said HOPPES, Like in I hope this crap works on my piece. This type of thread makes me want to convert a M1 Carbine to a BB Gun.......hmmm wow, a new project to piss off the masses.......

chuckusaret
July 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
I don't believe the manufacturer or the retailer really cares if you pronounce it wrong as long as you are spending the green stuff.

scndactive
July 9, 2009, 05:00 PM
If I had a dime for every time I said Leupold (pronounced lu-polled) and someone corrected me saying ''no its lee-a-polled'':rolleyes:

CoRoMo
July 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
I pronounced it 'Leopold' until one day I called them up and heard the receptionist answer the phone.:eek:

My father has always pronounced 'Hornady' to make it rhyme with either 'daddy' or sometimes 'lady'.
I say Hornudy.:cool:

earlthegoat2
July 9, 2009, 05:36 PM
have mercy on us an lock this thing

How do pronounce Franchi? I have heard Frahn-ki, Frenchy, Fran-chi, Fran-ki, Frankie, etc.....

I hear your point and I can stand hearing different pronunciations of words too but it is a fact of life.....and living in Kentucky.

1KPerDay
July 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
Fron-key.

As in, "I like to clean my fron-key with HOPS KNOW NEIN!!! Perhaps I'll put a LEAH-POLLED scope on it!@#!@#!@" :D :p

CypherNinja
July 9, 2009, 06:41 PM
Heard a young person say "Hops" the other day and corrected him kindly....no big deal. It didn't irritate me.

I've been using the stuff for more than 50 years. Been callin' it "hoppies" all my life.

I do not correct people who mispronounce "Walther". Does anyone? How about "Franchi"? "Nagant"? "Sako"?

Anyone get upset when they hear "Berthier" pronounced as "birthy err" or "birth ear"?

Carbine?

Merlot?
:)

Note: "ah"= as in "say ahhhh"

Walther: Wall-ther (like "third")
Franchi: Frahn-chi (like "cheese")
Nagant: Nah-gahnt
Sako: Say-ko
Berthier: Bear-tea-er

MOLLE: Molly (girl's name)
H&K: Heckler and Coke

Leupold: Loo-polled
Hornady: Horn-uh-dee

Which one's did I get wrong? (I'm pretty sure either one or all of them) :D

I pronounced it 'Leopold' until one day I called them up and heard the receptionist answer the phone.:eek:

Thus, a new forum pastime was born......:D

:ringring: "Hello and thank you for calling CZ USA"

"Yah, how do you pronounce "Kes... uh ....Ceska Zuhhh....uh....Zubroh....uhhhh...... those words CZ stands for?" :D:D

(Ceska Zbrojovka)

jhco
July 9, 2009, 06:44 PM
I though it was like hop-peas

raskolnikov_22
July 9, 2009, 06:47 PM
Should one spell out FAL and AUG since they're acronyms or pronounce them as words?

I like to say "F-A-L" for the one, but "AUG" for the other.

jnyork
July 9, 2009, 06:51 PM
You fellers have ENTIRELY too much time on your hands. :neener:

CoRoMo
July 9, 2009, 06:52 PM
by CypherNinja

So, it is not pronounced Mawzen Naygint?

The first time I was corrected for attempting to say 'Mosin Nagant', I was told to pronounce it something like "Moi-zheen Nazhawnt". But I'm glad that I declined to do so.

jcwit
July 9, 2009, 06:58 PM
With the economy going in the tank and all the important issues facing us all at this time we pay more attention to Michael Jackson's passing while ignoring our soldiers deaths we are concerning ourselves with how to pronounce a gun cleaning item.

Mayhap I missed something here.

w_houle
July 9, 2009, 07:00 PM
Gotta love Hoppe's Black Powder solvent;)

earlthegoat2
July 9, 2009, 07:02 PM
but "AUG" for the other.

I just say Staug.

Or is it stAUG???

cavman
July 9, 2009, 07:20 PM
And don't forget the Geissele trigger in ARs.

It apparently is not like the animal, guyz-EL',

it is GUYS'-lee

rondog
July 9, 2009, 07:30 PM
It's turret, dammit, TURRET! Not turrent!

EvanWilliams
July 9, 2009, 08:37 PM
Heckler and Koch (Kohh....hard K and long O).

More importantly. I was in Gunmaster today and a young guy comes in and asks to see the "new Ruger assault rifle".
I interjected "You must mean the AC556". Silence all around. And I left. Whatever that new AR is from Ruger it ain't an assault rifle.

AKElroy
July 9, 2009, 08:51 PM
I called Heine obviously "Hay-nee", right? I mean, right?? a few weeks back to check my order; and they answered the phone Hi-nee! Just like a keister!! Freaking hilarious!! He named his company after a kiester!! Oh, gosh.....what a kneeslapper. Whooo...

The Lone Haranguer
July 9, 2009, 08:51 PM
Next: how to pronounce Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod. :confused::neener: "Hop-eez" is easy by comparison.

JohnBT
July 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
"we are concerning ourselves with how to pronounce a gun cleaning item."

No one can be serious 24x7, even folks in a war zone.

I've been working with individuals with severe disabilities, including veterans, since 1974 and we can blow off some steam at work over some of the silliest stuff.

John

divemedic
July 9, 2009, 08:58 PM

Now that this weighty subject is settled, can we finally get back to the topics that are important:

9mm v .45
Post Office Carry
CCW Badges
Whether a BUG is appropriate
What ammo for ...

Did I miss any?

w_houle
July 9, 2009, 09:07 PM
Did I miss any?
Steel vs Aluminum vs Tupperware:p

The Lone Haranguer
July 9, 2009, 09:13 PM
Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft

:what: :banghead:

jcwit
July 9, 2009, 09:16 PM
I've been working with individuals with severe disabilities, including veterans, since 1974 and we can blow off some steam at work over some of the silliest stuff.

Very true but some get mighty serious about it, having fun is one thing, getting all worked up about it is another. Stay cool!!!

AKElroy
July 9, 2009, 09:17 PM
Leupold, Garand, Reticle, Parazzi, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy....

TOTC
July 9, 2009, 09:57 PM
With the economy going in the tank and all the important issues facing us all at this time we pay more attention to Michael Jackson's passing while ignoring our soldiers deaths we are concerning ourselves with how to pronounce a gun cleaning item.

Mayhap I missed something here.

Trust me, stchman has been my friend going on sixteen years. To me, he's my brother from another mother. He's also my shooting buddy, and when I bought one pistol he bought two rifles and two handguns. He's a certified gun nut. He knows what is at stake in the world today. His vocation keeps you and me safe. I'm not going to go into detail, but this is probably to poke a little fun at another mutual friend. It's a good thing he's my friend, cause if he directed this much crap my way, I'd go nuts. :D

The Lone Haranguer
July 9, 2009, 10:06 PM
Leupold, Garand, Reticle, Parazzi, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy....
If you wish to sell a Leupold optic in a newspaper or ad paper and you phone it in, be sure to spell it out, or it might appear as Loophole. ;)

daorhgih
July 9, 2009, 10:11 PM
What's the largest bottle of Hoppe's you've ever seen??

daorhgih
July 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
" Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod"
CHE(r)SHKA ZBROY-OF-KA OO-HAIRS-KEE BROTT"

Have a native Czech say their tongue-twister for you : "Stick Your Fingers Down Your Throat." There are NO vowels in that sentence.

Kleanbore
July 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
Walther: Wall-ther (like "third")
Franchi: Frahn-chi (like "cheese")
Sako: Say-ko
Berthier: Bear-tea-er

I think it's

Val-tuh

Frahnki (ah as in Tom)

Nagon

Sock-oh

Bear-tea-ay (accent on ay))

daorhgih
July 9, 2009, 10:22 PM
PLEASE LET THIS RUN until we pass "Hussein." PLEASE!!!!!!

jnyork
July 9, 2009, 10:25 PM
PLEASE!!! Soldiers on horse back are CAVALRY, not CALVARY. PLEASE!!

ants
July 9, 2009, 10:27 PM
The big question in my mind:

Why don't they make women's fragrance out of Hoppes #9?
Even the poorest and homliest girl would attract all the guys.
I know I'd be first in line for the girl that smells of Hoppe's and loads her own magazines.

Isher
July 9, 2009, 10:31 PM
" Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod"
CHE(r)SHKA ZBROY-OF-KA OO-HAIRS-KEE BROTT"

......I just say "CZ."

isher

JimKirk
July 9, 2009, 10:52 PM
Vihtavuori Powders.... was at the powder counter at at gun shop and a guy came in ...said all kind of V-names .... after a few smiles from the salesman .....he reached for a can of Vihtavuori and pointed to the name and said this V powder? He said no the V with the other number!

Jimmy K

rondog
July 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
How about Bianchi leather?

Quoheleth
July 9, 2009, 11:00 PM

True story...at Seminary one afternoon, a prof decided he was too important to pass out papers and dumped stacks on a couple guys' desks to do the grunt work. As it was about the 3rd class, few knew the other's names. I was one of the Select Chosen.

As we passed 'em out, we would call the names of folks we didn't know.

Then I came to this name: Krotch.

I fertilize you not. :eek: I don't care who you are, that looks like "Crotch" - the area below the waist where the legs meet and where the family jewels reside.

How to get around calling "Crotch" out loud, insult a man, and have a show-down in class...:what:

I asked a couple guys - "Is this what it looks like?" Of course, being "buddies," they didn't help at all -- they probably were now paying more attention to see how bad I would gaffe this.

So, I finally said, "I'm sorry but this looks like 'Crotch'." Now, that was a stupid thing to say. The gentleman - in his 50s - stormed up to me, declared, "It's pronounced 'crock,'" and left me surrounded by my "buddies" laughter.

True story.

If you're reading this, Rev. Krotch (which I am correctly pronouncing "crock"), my belated apologies.

Q

Threeband
July 9, 2009, 11:19 PM
Yup, Hopp-eez.

And "Volkswagen" is pronounced "Folks-vahgen".

Today I heard a guy call Taneytown, Maryland "Tay-nee-town", but I was too polite to correct him.

highmountain78
July 9, 2009, 11:46 PM
Interesting, I had always pronounced it hops as many have. The only other thing I know about their products is; they stink like he!!, and do a fantastic job of cleaning and removing old powder residue and any built up oil.

inSight-NEO
July 9, 2009, 11:58 PM
Ahh...."hoppies."

Frankly, Im disappointed..."hops" is much more aesthetically pleasing than "hoppies." :rolleyes:

I guess now would be a good time to mention that "Sig Sauer" is pronounced "Sig Sour"....not "Sig Sawyer." :)

DAVIDSDIVAD
July 10, 2009, 03:42 AM
I agree; hoppies sounds stupid.

CoRoMo
July 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
Direct Impingement

im-ping-mint (as in ping-pong) or im-pinj-mint (like ninja)

Garand

gairind (rhymes with hair-end) or gu-rand (rhymes with sand)

grilledcheese
July 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
Great. After reading this thread I'm afraid to open my mouth at all...:D

Jeffrey

CoRoMo
July 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
The best part about typing in a post is that nobody knows how you pronounce/mispronounce the words you're typing.

stchman
July 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
I never dreamed that this debate would rage on this long.

inSight-NEO
July 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
I never dreamed that this debate would rage on this long.

Aww..wheres your sense of humor?

All work and no play makes -insert name here- a dull boy....gun forums included. ;)

JohnBT
July 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
"I never dreamed that this debate would rage on this long. "

This long? You've only been a member since last month. I think some of these discussions were started on now-defunct boards in the last century.

John

preachnhunt
July 10, 2009, 09:57 PM
Que Sabot sabot.

Sergeant Sabre
July 11, 2009, 01:16 PM
How about "Leupold"?

HINT: the Leupold & Stevens phone recording says "Thank you for calling Loopold"

I won't bug you if you still want to spice it up and call it "Lee-uh-pold"

moewadle
July 11, 2009, 03:14 PM
Don't let ignorant anti-gun conservatives take our guns away either.

divemedic
July 11, 2009, 05:10 PM
cache vs. cachet

toivo
July 11, 2009, 06:42 PM
The best part about typing in a post is that nobody knows how you pronounce/mispronounce the words you're typing.

:D Yup. And... (http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.jpg) :D

toivo
July 11, 2009, 06:54 PM
If you're reading this, Rev. Krotch (which I am correctly pronouncing "crock"), my belated apologies.

Too bad for him, but in English, if it's got a "T" in it, it's pronounced "crotch."

I must admit, I've never seen that name. I've seen "Krutch."

Grey Morel
July 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
The fact that the OP takes this so seriously is hilarious. I'm going to keep saying "HOPS". :)

gimlet1/21
July 11, 2009, 10:03 PM
I prefer to call it "hopes" as in, "I hope it will get the gunk out."

jim in Anchorage
July 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
The fact that the OP takes this so seriously is hilarious. I'm going to keep saying "HOPS".
The OP? This has gone 4 pages. I am waiting for the first use of"you %@#& moron".

rondog
July 12, 2009, 02:26 AM
This is no lie, I talked to a very nice lady the other day named Sandy Butt.

b.thomas
July 12, 2009, 02:38 AM
I've always heard it called hoppie's or hoppy's (what ever way you spell it) since i was 4 or 5 years old by everyone including my dad. Now some 60 some odd years later, I fail to see the need to call it something else.:neener::D:):cool:

Blakenzy
July 12, 2009, 03:02 AM
Hoppe's. I always though it was pronounced like "ye old gun shoppe"

moewadle
July 12, 2009, 03:18 AM
why doesn't someone post some information of use? What years were the Marlin Model 99M1 .22 semiauto rifle made?

toivo
July 12, 2009, 03:25 AM
What years were the Marlin Model 99M1 .22 semiauto rifle made?

Not so fast--How do you pronounce "Marlin"? Is it like the fish? Or like Marlene Dietrich? Or like Marilyn Monroe? :D :D :D

This is no lie, I talked to a very nice lady the other day named Sandy Butt.

She should meet an old acquaintance of mine: Dick Bush. His choice: not Rich or Richard. No lie there either.

ChCx2744
July 12, 2009, 06:11 PM
HAAAA! I love these threads...I admit, I am guilty...I have pronounced it "Hops" this whole time... :)

I think the biggest pronounciation argument was between my instructor and I trying to figure out the pronounciation of "Steyr." I always pronounced it "Stow-Yer" but I've heard "Staw" "Shh-Taw" "Staw-Yer" "Store" "Stir" and "Steer."

JohnBT
July 12, 2009, 09:15 PM
"What years were the Marlin Model 99M1 .22 semiauto rifle made?"

Mid-60s. I could look up the precise dates in the Blue Book, but that would start an argument about whether or not the Blue Book is worthless.

JT

Mini30
July 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
"I never dreamed that this debate would rage on this long. "

This long? You've only been a member since last month. I think some of these discussions were started on now-defunct boards in the last century.

John

Yep. IIRC Alt.rec.guns

toivo
July 12, 2009, 10:16 PM
I could look up the precise dates in the Blue Book, but that would start an argument about whether or not the Blue Book is worthless.

Or how to pronounce "Blue Book." :D

Threeband
July 13, 2009, 12:05 AM
1964 to 1978 (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/01/marlin-99m1-range-report.html)

Now how to pronounce Xavier? Is it "ZAY-v'yer" or "HAH-vee-yayr"?

NoAlibi
July 13, 2009, 11:34 PM
AKElroy - "I called Heine obviously "Hay-nee", right? I mean, right?? a few weeks back to check my order; and they answered the phone Hi-nee! Just like a keister!! Freaking hilarious!! He named his company after a kiester!! Oh, gosh.....what a kneeslapper. Whooo...

Too Funny! My eyes are watering and I'm laughing so hard I can hardly catch my breath!!

Thanks AKElroy, it was a nice break from thinking about Stimulus II :eek:, Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor :eek:, Caps :eek:, ad infinitum!!! :cuss:

daorhgih
July 16, 2009, 01:17 PM
"SABOT". Anyone? As in "Sabot-tage": to throw a wooden shoe into the gears. Hey JIM, don't you mean "...the first use of you %@#& maroon." As from the three stooges.

LRaccuracy
July 16, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks! Now I know for sure.

Mr.510
July 17, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hey! You guys forgot NUKE-YA-LUR....

:D

Still Too Many Choices!?
July 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
Didn't read it all but since we appear to be venting about mispronounciation.... This is not pronounced as Guwwer, it is Ga-vehr... A little part of me dies everytime I hear it:(.

Mini30
July 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
What I find amusing: an entire community, for generations, mangling the name of their town which started as a tribute to some other (foriegn) city.

For example:
San Jose, IL is pronounced as "San Joes"
Moscow, ID does have a "cow" in it.
Bangor WA and Bangor ME are not pronounced the same.
Marseilles, IL being pronounced as "mar-sales"

But hey. If the locals say it is "San Joe's", well then, it IS their town

inSight-NEO
July 19, 2009, 07:45 PM
Man...this thread is STILL going strong? Good enough, I guess.

Note to self: Call Hoppes tomorrow and suggest they alter the pronunciation to "hopps."

After all, doing the "man thing" (cleaning guns) while having images of cute little bunny rabbits bouncing around in my head (Hoppies) feels a bit...weird. :) :rolleyes:

searcher451
July 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
FWIW, the state capitol of South Dakota is pronounced Peer, despite the French spelling. Across the river is Fort Peer, also spelled Pierre.

No wonder we are five pages long and still going strong on Hoppe's. :)

NoAlibi
July 20, 2009, 05:51 PM
Two from Alabama:

1. City named after Frenchman Lafayette (Laf-ay-ette) = La-fay-ette

2. City of Bayou La Batre (By-you-la-bot-rah) = Bay-ola-battrey

You don't even want to know about Opelika! :eek:

NoAlibi
July 20, 2009, 06:10 PM
Another one from Alabama:

Arab which the good citzens call Ayy-rab.

The best part is that wasn't even name of the town! When the mayor petitioned the Postal Service to put an office in their town, it was granted and incorrectly named it the Post Office of Arab, Alabama.

Rather than have the error corrected they elected to change the name of the town!

Lest anyone think that I am besmirching the names of the good folks of Alabama, let me just say, "Perish the thought!" If my many friends and former neighbors thought I was doing so, my life wouldn't be worth a plug nickle!

All just in good fun. :D

Publius1688
July 20, 2009, 06:32 PM
Holy Cow. i've been using this stuff for twenty five years! and saying it wrong! Well, now I know.

Oro
July 20, 2009, 07:36 PM
Dang, I hate to rock the boat, but I don't think "Hopp' - ees" is correct. That's a German/Dutch name and that's not how a German would pronounce it. Even if the current folks at the company mangle it, it doesn't mean you need to do so, too.

First, it's possessive. So loose the "s" at the end and get the root pronunciation correct. The name is "Hoppe" That would be:

"hop' - eh" roughly. The final "e" in a German word is pronounced, and the "e" is short unless it's "ie", then it makes a long "e". Think of the German word most of us can relate to "Bier." "Beer." Just like an English pronunciation (guess where we got it from?). If it were to be "Hopp-ee", you would have to spell it "Hoppie." German is very literal in spelling and pronunciation.

So an English speaker would mangle it to "hop' - ee" because we are trained to do that, but that doesn't make it correct. The argument that "this is how the company pronounces it" cut's no ice with me. Just because they are mangling it, too, doesn't mean you need to.

As the unfortunate owner of a German surname, and having been a German language student for years in both high school and college, I know how German/Dutch names are mangled in the US. Among my immediate cousins in the US with same German surnames, there are three different pronunciations in common use and no one even thinks about it.

I am going to bet that Frank August Hoppe, born 1875 had a good knowledge of how his German name was pronounced (he might have even been German or Dutch born; that was still a time when there were waves of central European immigration coming to the US, but I don't know where he was born). I would lay money it was "hop' - eh." Now if there is a native German speaker here who can verify there's a dialect quirk that makes it "hopp' - ee" from wherever his family was from, then I could see it.

NoAlibi
July 20, 2009, 08:20 PM
Oro
The argument that "this is how the company pronounces it" cut's no ice with me.

I'll bet that the way you say it cuts no ice with them either. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that they would be polite enough about it and even agree with you as long as you buy their product. :D

You do use "Hop' - eh's" don't you? ;)

nitetrane98
July 20, 2009, 08:45 PM
A man gets to pronounce his name however he damn well pleases. Ice cutting notwithstanding.
I give you Bret "Favre" Farve.

toivo
July 20, 2009, 11:44 PM
A man gets to pronounce his name however he damn well pleases. Ice cutting notwithstanding.
I give you Bret "Favre" Farve.

That one has always bugged me. If he just said "Fahve" (just skipping the 'r' altogether), it would be closer to the original French pronunciation. Either that or change the spelling to the way he pronounces it.

The "it's his name and he can pronounce it however he wants" thing only goes so far. My name could be spelled J-O-N-E-S and I could tell people it's pronounced "Smith," but life would definitely be difficult. :D

Threeband
July 21, 2009, 01:57 AM
There's an old Monty Python sketch where John Cleese says, "My name is spelled ('Smythe'), but it's pronounced 'Throat-warbler-mangrove'!"

And Oro,

Sie haben recht, aber was koennen wir tun darueber? "Das kueste mich auf Deutsch, und sprach auf Deutsch, (man glaubt es kaum, wie gut es klang!)"

And I still say the cartridge should be called "thirty-NAUGHT-six", rather than "thirty-AUGHT-six." (Ha! Gun-related!)

Oro
July 21, 2009, 05:58 AM
'm sure that they would be polite enough about it and even agree with you as long as you buy their product.

You do use "Hop' - eh's" don't you?

Hehe - I bet they would. And yes, I've been a loyal customer since the 70's, actually! They need to do nothing to keep getting my business for the occasional bottle I buy!

And Oro,

Sie haben recht, aber was koennen wir tun darueber? "Das kueste mich auf Deutsch, und sprach auf Deutsch, (man glaubt es kaum, wie gut es klang!)"

Sehr wahr. I can only retort with my favorite German idiom for giggles (pardon the course Bavarian dialect) - "Wan mann ein gut radieren kotten kann, dann kant er gut tanzen."

Which translates literally as "When you can cut a radish well, then you can really dance!" Colloquially, it means, "Hey, there you go!"

It just always makes me laugh to even think about that gibberish.

Ice cutting notwithstanding.

Actually, I used that phrase intentionally because according to one history I read, that's another trans-language abomination. Apparently, the Iroquis (I think it was) had an expression in their language that was phonetically like, "Kot nah eis vizme." Which literally translated in their language meant, "I am not impressed." But the English/American colonists just took the same meaning, and since it made an intelligible statement in English, flat out just stole it. "It cuts no ice with me" = "I am not impressed" in American English. I can't recall where I read that etymology, but I recall it was from a reputable source.

NoAlibi
July 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oro
I can't recall where I read that etymology, but I recall it was from a reputable source.

Who cares who or what your reputable source is? Your seemingly erudite presentation has me accepting what you say at face value! :)

In these tight financial times I would not consider buying any bridge you might want to sell me, but I would certainly would consider a few shares! ;) Ja? :D

JohnBT
July 21, 2009, 04:15 PM
"I know how German/Dutch names are mangled"

My grandmother is descended from a family that moved from Pennsylvania to the Charlotteville, Virginia area in the 1700s. My father remembers apple crates of German textbooks in the old homeplace smokehouse when he was a child in the early 1930s. The family name as it turns out was Mayer back then.

For 200+ years now it's been Mawyer.

John

ChCx2744
July 22, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hmm...Seems, still, nobody knows the correct pronounciation for "Steyr." :)

TOTC
July 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
mm...Seems, still, nobody knows the correct pronounciation for "Steyr."

I always pronounce it 'Steer' as in to steer a car. I guess it could be Stire, rhymes with fire.

cavman
July 22, 2009, 08:42 AM
I was just informed by a shootiing associate while at Camp Perry (great fun, hope you can all make it) that the M1 Garand pronunciation is

not ga-RAND' but rather GAIR'-und.

based on the man's name's correct pronunciation.

ps bought my first one (thanks THR, my bank account continues to curse you :) while there! Special Grade. Now I have to decide on how to finish the new stock. boiled Linseed Oil? Boiled Tung? Decisions, decisions.

Threeband
July 22, 2009, 08:38 PM
Steyr is pronounced SHTEYE-er. Notice the initial "St" is "sht", and the "ey" is "eye", or "aye": a long "i".

Then it's just a quick "er" to finish up. Very easy. (Go easy on the final "r"- it's not a Delmarva r!)
Mannlicher Schoenauer is a little trickier.

Oro
July 23, 2009, 01:42 AM
Who cares who or what your reputable source is? Your seemingly erudite presentation has me accepting what you say at face value!

He he, I was a history major in college and though gave it up as a profession, still try to be thorough and logical about evidence (plus I later was a stock broker/trader, so I learned a bit about the art of the sale ;) ).

Threeband has "Steyr" spot on. Now the think that cracked me up I think the most in VT, which has a significant population of French descent because of French settlement centuries ago. There was a prominent local area named after a family name, "Charlebois." "Shar-le'-bwah" for anyone with a passing knowledge of how to pronounce French (I think it means "Charles' Forest/Woods - but anyway:). Everyone locally pronounced it "Charley Boys." I mean, I know French is a lot harder than German to pronounce passably if you don't know some rules, but that was just too funny.

Our squadron motto: "Non Conjuge Nobiscum"

;) old USAF TAC saying, wasn't it?

NoAlibi
July 23, 2009, 01:17 PM
Oro
old USAF TAC saying, wasn't it?

You are the historian - you tell me! :scrutiny:

All I can pass on is that when I came on board the motto was hanging over the Marine Corps pilot's briefing/debriefing room at Da Nang in 1969. If it didn't originate with us it really doesn't matter. Good things need to be served up again and again. :D

It's always interesting to find someone who can appreciate the significance of the motto. :evil:

Semper Fi -- NoAlibi

Oro
July 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
You are the historian - you tell me!

That's where I heard it came from but I can't proove it. My uncle was a SAC pilot in Viet Nam and told me about it originally (not THEIR motto, just the motto). His Air Force experience also made him insist that when I wanted to join the service to fly, I go Navy. ;) (Full disclosure - I did follow his advice and got into the USNA so I could fly, but then my left eye fell off to 20/40 so they wouldn't let me fly. This pissed me off to no end so I never ended up flying in the Navy).

ChCx2744
July 25, 2009, 10:25 AM
ahhh shhhh tie errrr...lol

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to clarify pronunciation of Hoppe's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!