going hunting on a bicycle

PDA

black_powder_Rob
July 9, 2009, 02:30 PM
I was reading another post in another section and came across a couple of members who said they road their mountain bikes to go out hunting. Well that got me wondering how many other people here do that sort of thing and if so what kind of gear do you use. (By biking I mean going to your location and then hunting.)

Just wondering, might have to give it a try one of these days. would put a new spin on things.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "going hunting on a bicycle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
July 9, 2009, 03:39 PM
A fall would do wonders for your scope. :D

I use a dirt bike when it's muddy since I sold my old 4x4. But, I ain't peddlin'.

Schofield3
July 9, 2009, 03:44 PM
http://library.christchurch.org.nz/Heritage/Photos/Disc1/IMG0072.jpg

This is exactly what I thought of when I read your thread title, hahaaa

black_powder_Rob
July 9, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hahaha too funny Schofield!

Schofield3
July 9, 2009, 04:36 PM
:D, I couldn't resist

freakshow10mm
July 9, 2009, 04:37 PM
Lots of kids around here ride their bikes to go hunting. Nothing like seeing a half dozen teen agers riding down the main drag dressed in blaze orange and camo with a loaded shotgun slug across the handlebars. "Welcome to the UP" I tell the shocked tourist onlookers.

thedavemyster
July 9, 2009, 05:21 PM
When I lived in Florida, there was a Wildlife Management Area right near my house that was a "no motorized vehicle" area. There was a narrow entry point for foot or bicycle traffic only. In order to hunt there, I would put my blackpowder rifle, shotgun, or Winchester 94 (depending on the season) in its case and tie it to the large rack I installed on the back of my mountain bike. Plenty of other hunters did likewise as there was a dirt road that led back to the best hunting territory (heavy thickets), which was a few miles into the area. *shrugs* Even in the hot Florida sun, it made for a nicer ride out to be on a bicycle with some wind cooling you than to be walking with all your gear. =)

Rembrandt
July 9, 2009, 05:56 PM
Getting to the hunting spot might be OK.....getting back could be interesting. The thought of carrying a deer, equipment, and a hunter back seems problematic. What's the tire load rating on most bikes?....plus balancing all that weight on uneven terrain? Some of our deer can run 300-350 lbs...add an overweight hunter and could be problems.

MCgunner
July 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
Come to think of it, I've heard guys haul mountain bikes out to Matagorda Island during dove season. The island is open to dove hunting, but no motor vehicles and you can't get there other than by boat, anyway, so they put the bike in the boat for the ride over, then ride to their hunting spot.

Loyalist Dave
July 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
lugging home a dozen doves is one thing. . . , but riding home with a dressed deer on the handlebars is something else! :what:

LD

BHP FAN
July 9, 2009, 07:00 PM
According to Patrick MaCMannis,you let the deer do the pedaling.

Flintknapper
July 9, 2009, 07:07 PM
Done it many times in South Texas while bowhunting Javelina.

It is a quick and quiet way to get down a long sendero when a herd is spotted.

On some of the ranches we hunt...it is no exaggeration to say that Javenlina can be spotted 3/4 mile down a sendero and the same thing happening down another.

One person may opt to take the vehicle closer to a group... then stalk the rest of the way...while the other person jumps on a mountain bike and goes after the second group.

It works very well (in dry weather).

ChaoSS
July 9, 2009, 07:23 PM
Guess it depends what you are hunting. I don't fancy bringing an animal that weighs a couple hundred pounds home on a bicycle, even if the bike can handle it, the balance would be terrible.

black_powder_Rob
July 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have been thinking about it some more and as for carrying back a deer, you could always attach some kind of trailer to the rear tire.

bensdad
July 9, 2009, 08:13 PM
They make trailers for hauling kids (usually have a yellow cover with a screen in front)? It would be a simple matter to take off the screen and the child seat, bolt on a flat surface and... viola! Instant deer-drag (roll).

MCgunner
July 9, 2009, 08:18 PM
Well, let's just say, I'm keeping my truck.

JCisHe
July 9, 2009, 08:29 PM
Putting the deer on the bike and walking the bike would be better than dragging the deer.

MCgunner
July 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
Putting the deer on the bike and walking the bike would be better than dragging the deer.

That might work in Texas, but they say up in Indiana, the deer are bigger than a Colorado elk. I can't see a bicycle being a big improvement. LOL Down here, hell, if you can carry a jack rabbit.......

MCgunner
July 9, 2009, 08:44 PM
Delete

MutinousDoug
July 9, 2009, 10:24 PM
Based on my experience in RVN, I tried riding a bike while elk hunting.
The Dinks pushed their crappy bicycles from Hanoi to Saigon carrying a 100 Kilo bag of rice on either side; over 400 lbs per bike as well as other, more offensive cargo. That's pretty much the length of California for those of you with geographic disability. My goal was not nearly as lofty but I found the game trails of Colorado a little much for my taste or energy level and have since found more elk in the places you aren't permitted to bring a vehicle of any kind. That's where I try to hunt now so I abandoned the project and sold the gun rack I had on my handlebars. Stashing a rifle on the bike is problematic unless you have a decent trail (which the Dinks had).
2-300lbs of deer or elk quarters would be no problem on a properly rigged bike set up to be pushed home: push bar attached at the seatpost and an extension at the handlebar on the operator's side. That's about 3x the amount I can carry out on my back.
HTH
Doug

black_powder_Rob
July 9, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hmm i think i might try to make a cart for a mid summer project...

gbran
July 9, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have an area up in the mountains where I road-hunt for quail. I usually take a jeep or atv's, but I guess a bike might be quieter. I may try this a couple times this coming season.

KenWP
July 9, 2009, 11:47 PM
I went hunting with a mountain bike once. Was the first week of November in Elk Island park in Alberta and is a walk,horse or bike only hunting zone. Was great first thing in the morning to get way back into the zone. But the wet ground had thawed out on the roads when I started back and the gumbo was so thick on the tires I had to get off and push the bike alsong the sides of the roads to get back to the parking lot. Needless to say I canned that idea after that.

Cosmoline
July 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
There's a new generation of off-road "fat bikes" that beg to be taken for a hunting trip. I see quite a few around here. They were developed as snow bikes for an extreme human-powered race on the Iditarod trail, now known as the Invitational.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9FjS_CkA6bg/R8JMF8PpmAI/AAAAAAAAAA0/ZhDqt8TDmBo/s400/mr%2Bsmilley.jpg

They're based off of the Surly Pugsley and similar frames that can take extra-wide tires and rims. Mount good trailer on one and you could easily haul several hundred pounds of meat out of the woods, and get through some pretty rough conditions.

http://thelazyrando.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/fatbike.jpg

My own rig is more of an urban setup, but I do take it a little ways into the Chugach. That scabbard is the ideal way to carry on the bike, at least for leverguns.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/Framtrail1.jpg

Birdmang
July 10, 2009, 12:37 AM
I rode a Pugsley a few weeks ago, they are BEASTS!

Alot better than my Cross Check!

Nematocyst
July 10, 2009, 12:46 AM
They're based off of the Surly Pugsley and similar frames that can take extra-wide tires and rims. That is one very cool bike. Mikey likes it.

Added by edit: This stimulated a little research for me. Found this review of the Pug (http://www.bowcycle.com/bikes/blogs/viks-picks/2009/01/26/surly-pugsley-review/). I'm impressed.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 10, 2009, 09:15 AM
Can anyone photoshop a rifle to lie besides the guy on the ground in post #3?

EatBugs
July 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.kaz-usa.net/servlet/the-37/Big-Tricycle-and-Wagon/Detail

how about one of these! or this!

http://urbanscooters.com/P/Adult-Tricycles/schwinn/Adults-Schwinn-3-WheelBike-26-inch.html

schlockinz
July 10, 2009, 10:14 AM
I've done it to get to a spot before, saved me a fair amount of walking, and was able to get in quickly and quietly, I imagine that it left less scent as well.

Shoot a deer and ride the bike back to the truck to go fetch the deer with.

Personally, I think that a horse or mule would be better for most mountainous areas.

MCgunner
July 10, 2009, 10:53 AM
If I was going to ride a "fat bike", it'd have a motor in it.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008-Yamaha-TW200c.jpg

MCgunner
July 10, 2009, 10:56 AM
Or, how about a Rokon 2x2.....

http://www.rokon.com/img/prod_trailbreaker_lg.jpg

The Yamaha TW200 is faster and street legal, though.

Schofield3
July 10, 2009, 11:12 AM
Can anyone photoshop a rifle to lie besides the guy on the ground in post #3?

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/photochopchop/riflemod.jpg?t=1247238623

Done!

Cosmoline
July 10, 2009, 12:55 PM

They can hear you coming if you have a motor.

Nematocyst
July 10, 2009, 08:07 PM
MCG (or anyone), what is that in post 30, please?

Suzuki?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 10, 2009, 11:28 PM
MC Gunner, dang you beat me to it - the Rokor is the ultimate "bike" for going off road and over obstacles deep into the wilderness. Love how the wheels are hollow tanks that can hold water or more gasoline.

Schofield, thank you - that rocks, lol. :p

magnumman44
July 10, 2009, 11:59 PM
Looks like Yamaha in post 30...

velojym
July 11, 2009, 12:45 AM
A few years ago I picked up a Montague Paratrooper to take with me on the road. It worked fine, though I upgraded a few parts to suit me better. It's a stout frame, folds to fit in a trunk, and has long enough stays to attach my daughter's trailer without any heel-clearance issues.
As for weapons carry, numerous solutions have been presented over the years, and I suppose it's just up to one's personal tastes. The bicycle should never be discounted, even if it's only a bugout "escape pod" that'll get you from a disabled vehicle to a phone somewhere... or home, in the case of some sort of societal distress.
http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/images/Montague/2008-PAR-Open-Flat.jpg

MCgunner
July 11, 2009, 09:25 AM
MCG (or anyone), what is that in post 30, please?

It's a Yamaha TW200, neat little dual purpose motorcycle. They use wider tires than your run of the mill DP bike. I know guys that absolutely love 'em, though I don't have one. Should be great in mud. They're a little on the heavy side, about 300 lbs, and not real fast on the highway, but they'll do 60 mph all day long, running pretty smooth (counterbalanced motor) and return 70 mpg in the process. They could use more gas tank. I know one guy that put a 6 gallon gas tank on one.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha/on-off-road/2009/tw/200.html

The Rokon has been around a long time, from the 60s. It now uses a Honda implement type motor, used to have a quirky (understatement) Chrysler 2 stroke motor in it back in the day. Friend of mine who worked for the Soil Conservation Service right out of college used those things in East Texas, government procured. He liked 'em, but they are SLLLOOOWWWW. They will go where lots of stuff has to stop, though, and can even be floated across streams. They've always been expensive for what they are, though. I think, unless I was hauling BIG stuff or wanting to use it to plant food plots, I'd rather have a Rokon than a 4x4 ATV for single track off road in the real wilderness. Not too much real wilderness that you can run a motor vehicle in now days, though. One thing cool about it, the little things are simple as heck to maintain or repair, not that a normal dirt bike is a big deal.

To me, the 2WD feature might be desirable in really bad mud, but I can do pretty good on my little 200cc normal DP motorcycle. The Yamaha TW200 will get you where you wanna go off road and take you there on the highway and it's a over a thousand dollars less money. The only thing I don't like about the TW is the small gas tank, the cost of the tires, and the weight of the thing.

MCgunner
July 11, 2009, 09:27 AM
Quote:

They can hear you coming if you have a motor.

Trust me, they'd hear me coming on a bicycle. :D Prolly take 30 minutes to get my respiration back to normal, especially at 8000 feet! :rolleyes:

moooose102
July 11, 2009, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE][Well, let's just say, I'm keeping my truck. /QUOTE]

+ 1 on that !
actually, many moons ago, i did try doing exactly that, while deer bow hunting. i ended up about 20 yards from a flock of turkeys that way. they looked at me, and just continued on with what they were doing like nothing ever happened. i did see a couple of deer that afternoon, but they would not come close enough for a shot. the bike had no ill affect on hunting. i laid it down, and covered it up with some brush. but, it was quite hard pedaling through the sand trails. while it worked fine, i went back on foot. it was much easier walking.

627PCFan
July 12, 2009, 05:49 PM
Me and the wife use Schwinns to get into our favorite duck/goose spot. Its 1.8 miles one way, and no motorized vehicles allowed. We regularly make the trek with 1 doz decoys, 2 shotguns, ammo and waders. The dog does not get a free ride :D

MCgunner
July 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
If I tried that where I hunt ducks, I'd be axle deep in mud. LOL It's more like a max 3/4 mile walk, though to the longest spot where I'll volunteer to hunt. I know of some longer walks. I avoid them. LOL!

plumberroy
July 12, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have broke down a H&R single put it in a day pack rode out to a buddies farm (3 miles) dove or squirrel hunted and rode back several times
Roy

If you enjoyed reading about "going hunting on a bicycle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!