Just went to Bass Pro Shop. Do they have good prices on ANYTHING?

PDA

Maelstrom
July 10, 2009, 12:13 AM
Every knife and every gun I saw was marked up 50% higher than it should be. It's got nothing to do with Obama, either, their prices were outrageous before the elections.

Their standard Marine Corps looking Kabar was $80! Smith and Wesson Sigmas pushing $500. Even those cheap plastic ammo boxes for reloaders that cost $2.50 at Midway were $6 each.

I guess my question is, why do people keep going? Clearly there must be some insane deal that I'm missing. What do they sell is even halfway decent in price?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just went to Bass Pro Shop. Do they have good prices on ANYTHING?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
July 10, 2009, 12:29 AM
Bass Pro is always very high. The stores around here are very fancy, and I guess they have mucho overhead.

I think they mainly sell stuff to suburbanite who want to look outdoorsy than actually spend time outdoors.

ezypikns
July 10, 2009, 12:38 AM
Or go to WalMart.

Both Bass Pro and Cabelas have great selections on many items, but they ARE NOT DISCOUNT STORES.

Maelstrom
July 10, 2009, 12:57 AM
Not getting a discount is one thing, clearly charging more than everyone else is something entirely different.

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 10, 2009, 01:19 AM
We really don't need another thread explaining how market economy works, do we?

I've reopened this thread because a member sent me a PM saying that new members are going to learn invaluable information in this thread. Have at it, guys.

I guess my question is, why do people keep going? Clearly there must be some insane deal that I'm missing. What do they sell is even halfway decent in price?
If you think people buy only based on price, you don't understand the buying public.

.455_Hunter
July 10, 2009, 03:08 AM
I don't have a problem with Bass Pro Shop prices. Before the rush, they were well stocked with complete lines of product. How many big box stores carry .32 S&W? How many carry .38 Special 158 gr. LSWC (Standard Pressure)? In Denver, they were the ONLY place I could find that stocked the Rem 158 gr. +P LSWCHP load- at a reasonable price too. A couple of months ago, I bought three boxes of Winchester Cowboy .44 Special (just off the truck) for a price about $1 higher than Walmart.

bensdad
July 10, 2009, 03:09 AM
I'm one of those guys who still shops physical locations most of the time. I get bullets and some accessories online, but pretty much everything else comes from a store. There's a Bass Pro going in at the Mall of America. It'll be interesting to see how they do with several GMs and two Cabelas within spittin' distance.

Does Bass Pro have anything different from the other two outdoor chains? Do they try to be more "high-end?" I've never been in one.

Big_E
July 10, 2009, 03:19 AM
Those big fancy stores are merely a place for me to "look" at items while I am bored or before I finalize a purchase online where it is much more inexpensive. Sometimes if there is a sale I will buy things if it is mostly competitive with online prices. Or, if I really need an item quick and can't wait for shipping i will buy at a fancy store.

Rockwell1
July 10, 2009, 05:50 AM
Their prices were outrageous before the elections.

I guess my question is, why do people keep going?

Why do you keep going?

KYShooter
July 10, 2009, 06:08 AM
I only been in a Bass Pro once and it was mostly just to look at all the crap they had, they have a better selection of stuff than a lot of other stores. I think the only thing I bought was some fishing gear that Wal-mart and Dick's doesn't carry.

ElToro
July 10, 2009, 06:21 AM
i like to go into the little side room where the Sage fishing rods and other mega high end rods and reels are. they cost more then most of my guns.

i did buy up a lfew boxes of 10mm last week at about 20$ a box of rem ball. havnt seen 10mm ball around in many moons.

they do seem to be full MSRP+ on their guns. they do have wide selection. but the idiots working the counter are sad. i'll stick to supporting my local indie FFL.

Maelstrom
July 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
Why do you keep going?

I go to enjoy the view. The problem is that a store doesn't exist to enjoy the view but to sell.

The stores stay open and the chain is expanding so they must be making sales. I'm questioning what keeps people coming back. There must be something they sell at a reasonable price.

This thread is not supposed to be a free-market debate, Jorg. This thread has one simple goal. Has anyone here ever bought something from Bass Pro Shop and thought they got a good deal on it? I'm not talking about a mint M1 Carbine mislabeled as a $3.99 flip-flop but a bona fide regular item at a reasonable price.

SCKimberFan
July 10, 2009, 08:26 AM

Uh, no.

CajunBass
July 10, 2009, 08:30 AM
Oddly enough, most people go there to buy FISHING tackle. That's all I buy there.

But I do think of their stores as more of a tourist destination, like Kings Dominion, than I do as a sporting goods store. A good place to go, walk around, look, ohh and ahhh....maybe have lunch, and then leave.

GoWolfpack
July 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
a bona fide regular item at a reasonable price

An Uberti Cattleman .45LC revolver $40 cheaper than I'd seen it anywhere else.

Jorg is right; there are an awful lot of people in the world who will pay extra to get what they want in a shiny package. Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Orvis, pretty much any store in a mall all exist to give these people what they want.

TiredOleMan
July 10, 2009, 09:44 AM
I stumbled upon Red Duck polo shirts for $9.95 but thats about it, although I still enjoy wandering around checking out everything.

Nate1778
July 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
I bought 4lbs of Red Dot at $54 bucks which is cheaper than buying it online with HAZMAT.

Now the other side, I ran out of Wander Wads for my .44 Remington that I was going to shoot that day. 100 Wander Wads were $11, almost worth just chain firing it........:fire:

Yo Mama
July 10, 2009, 09:55 AM
I find great deals at Bass Pro. They have many items on sale or clearance which I frequently find good prices. A pack I wanted was on sale for 80 dollars, where Sportsmans had them for 140 plus.

Also, ammo lately has been readily in stock at the Bass Pro Shop. The prices are in line with other retailers, and 230 grain Golden Sabers are 30 bucks a box vs. Cheaper than Dirts 50 dollars.

j-easy
July 10, 2009, 10:32 AM
i can't stand bass pro, all the rifles are displayed vertically and behind the counter, cant see anything. and the local bass pro is right in the middle of the touristy part of the city, always packed with international tourists handling guns for the first time. if im going to a big box outdoors place i prefer gander mountain.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
The answer is no. Even their "clearance" sale items are still more than you'd pay at Academy, and make me laugh. About the only time I spend money in there anymore (used to spend a lot like an idgit) is when I get the $10 off any purchase. I then go buy ammo.

Wait, I take that back. Once in a blue moon, they have some "super-clearance" type stuff. I picked up quite few $10 pairs of cotton casual pants and $10-$15 nice winter shirts on an overstock deal after winter, round about Feb or March. But I think that had due more to the economy than anything.

Also got a bunch of genuine rooster tails for 0.99 each, when normally $2.99; limit was 12 per customer - they were devastated by the end of the first day of that deal.

So other than clothing and maybe boots, you've got to wait a LONG time between good deals there.

oneounceload
July 10, 2009, 10:44 AM
I suspect that the majority of BP's sales are more from their other lines of products. The two I have visited were, as previously mentioned, WAY over MSRP - and one of those visits was before the elections when prices weren't that bad - even on their Columbia fishing shirts, let alone their primers and shot........

I look at Gander Mountan, Cabela's, and Bass Pro as the stores to go look and handle something before I buy it on-line from someone else

DHJenkins
July 10, 2009, 11:10 AM
Do you have any idea what their operating costs must be? Of course their prices are outrageous!

CoRoMo
July 10, 2009, 11:15 AM
IIRC, they won't match or beat Cabela's pricing. But for that matter, Cabela's also refuses to match or beat a competitor's price.

nathan
July 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
Gander and Basspro are way out there. I always go to Academy for better deals. Now my bro just got a NIB Howa M 1500 for $500 out the door at Basspro. This has the Stirling Nikko scope combo. Boy we shot it last Tuesday and its superaccurate. I might get the Youth model in 7 mm 08 from Academy.

Deltaboy
July 10, 2009, 01:23 PM
I go to Bass Pro shops 2 times a year to look around. I go to Wal-Mart and Academy every week.

ThePunisher'sArmory
July 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
The key to bass pro and cabelas are the SALES. i rarely go to bass pro, but go to cabelas once every other month, cause i like their hunting clothes and waders for duck hunting. Just got to wait for them to go on sale. The bass pro in springfield mo is the coolest place to look around at stuff (some deals). The whole store is the size of a large strip mall, about two or three city blocks.

BunnyPuncher
July 10, 2009, 01:41 PM
Some of their "loss leader" shirts / shorts / slacks are very good values and are of much better quality than say Wally World for only a dollar or two more.

I own a ton of their clothes and they tend to be very tough.

Edit: I don't wear "logo" clothes, so I cannot comment on those brands or the ubiquitous and unattractive redhead gear.

Nate1778
July 10, 2009, 01:42 PM
The whole store is the size of a large strip mall, about two or three city blocks.

And that is the other problem with the Bass Pro Shop, hunting and ammo is way in the back 3 rd floor. So from the time you get out of the vehicle and walk to the simulated amusement park entrance you still have about a 10 minute walk to where you want to go.

jrod014
July 10, 2009, 01:52 PM
All i can say is ebay, ebay, ebay.

Find the items you want at bass pro, then do a search on ebay. 90% of the time the same items are cheaper on ebay.

I do a lot of shopping on ebay. Just make sure you buy from someone who has a feedback of at least 5 or 10 ratings. always check the feedback. ;)

mljdeckard
July 10, 2009, 01:58 PM
Vote with your feet.

Their marketing and merchandising guys have a little formula in their heads, or I should say, a running gamble. They are guessing how much your time is worth to you. You have a gun in front of you here and now, but it's cheaper across town. Is your time valuable enough to just buy it here and avoid the hassle? There is also the prestige factor. They are betting that there are a lot of customers who will buy there just because it is the shiniest, glossiest, newest-smelling store, and they will ONLY buy there for that reason. They don't WANT to go to the dealer out in the industrial section of town JUST BECAUSE they don't LIKE to.

Salt Lake opened a big open air mall before the olympics, and they had a store called Galyan's. Great products, three-story climbing wall, one block from the arena where the Jazz play. Doug's Shoot n Sport halfway across town was selling a new Glock for about $450 at the time. Galyans was selling them for $575, IIRC. Why? Because the Salt Lake Hill People with the means would rather pay extra than be bothered to drive across town. Galyan's is now gone, it's Dick's sporting goods. They are still a little pricey for their ammo, but a lot better than they were before. These geniuses with PhDs and slide rules do the math and know how to run businesses, right? They wouldn't do things like miscalculate the market. Ask AIG, Enron, AOL/Time Warner, Ford, Chrysler, GM, and CitiGroup. :)

Frog48
July 10, 2009, 02:41 PM

the other problem with the Bass Pro Shop, hunting and ammo is way in the back 3 rd floor.

Think about their name for a minute... BASS Pro Shops. Its NOT a gun shop. Their primary business is outfitting anglers, and hunting/shooting gear is a relatively low priority. They have excellent prices on their fishing gear, their casual clothing is usually priced average to good, depending on brand. And their boat sales and marine accessories departments are great.

I love BPS for fishing gear. Their selection beats the heck out of Cabelas or Gander Mountain, and prices are usually the same or better. However, if I'm looking for firearms, ammo, or hunting gear, BPS is not my first stop.

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
Galyan's is now gone, it's Dick's sporting goods. They are still a little pricey for their ammo, but a lot better than they were before. These geniuses with PhDs and slide rules do the math and know how to run businesses, right? They wouldn't do things like miscalculate the market.
I hate to disrupt big business hate-fest, but Gaylan's didn't close because the miscalculated the market. Dick's bought out the entire chain and rebranded all the stores.

outerlimit
July 10, 2009, 09:25 PM
So you're saying you know Gaylan's wasn't in trouble and they just decided to sell out to Dick's because the offer was really good? How did you come upon this information Jorg?

And that is the other problem with the Bass Pro Shop, hunting and ammo is way in the back 3 rd floor. So from the time you get out of the vehicle and walk to the simulated amusement park entrance you still have about a 10 minute walk to where you want to go.

Yea, same thing at the Walmarts here, it's annoying. Here's what I do.. I go in the lube/tire service entrance on the side of the store. I walk in about 50 feet and I'm in the sporting goods section. I do this instead of walking from the front entrance a mile into the back right corner of the store and a mile back out.

Ragnar Danneskjold
July 10, 2009, 09:30 PM
I've been to a Bass Pro one time. It was when I took my CCW class, and the instructor used the range there. After the class I perused the gun area and ended up asking where they kept their AR-15s. The snarky "we don't carry those kind of guns" answer I got assured that I would never shop in a Bass Pro again.

Jorg Nysgerrig
July 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
So you're saying you know Gaylan's wasn't in trouble and they just decided to sell out to Dick's because the offer was really good? How did you come upon this information Jorg?
I'm saying that it is silly to say that Galyan's had to close up shop only to be replaced by Dick's in SLC because they miscalculated the Salt Lake City market by selling Glocks for $125 more than Doug's in West Valley City. Considering that Dick's paid a premium of 53% over Galyan's closing stock price (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=132215&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=583412&highlight=) for the acquisition, I would say that the offer was pretty good though.

hwp
July 10, 2009, 10:02 PM
Economy this economy that....blah blah blah

Bass Pro sucks. The prices are the highest around. They understaff the gun counter with rude ignorant help. They are more concerned with selling starbucks and beef jerky.

22-rimfire
July 11, 2009, 01:10 AM
Bass Pro is a RETAIL store. The only good prices are sale items and that is debatable. The benefit of going is their incredible inventory and being about to handle a lot of stuff and walk out of the store rather than doing the mail order thing. Take fishing stuff... unless you have a Cabelas nearby, there is no better place to look at lots of rods and reels to make your choices from their inventory. I buy fishing stuff mostly from them and not that much hunting stuff. They have a pretty good inventory of camping and hiking stuff too. I love shopping the store but try to only go a couple times a year.

Firearms, never seriously looked at buying something there although the 5" 686 Smith was very interesting to me when it was on sale.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 11, 2009, 02:05 AM
I did actually find some decent deals on guns there in the past. I got a new Browning Buckmark "Hunter" model with 7.25" bbl, scope rail, and FO front, for $299.95 plus tax, and after complaining that there were no rifles 25% off any longer at a sale that purported to give 25% off on selected models, I got a Rossi Puma 92 for $383.95 plus tax. Exceptions to the general rule however.

NC-Mike
July 11, 2009, 02:11 AM
I got a great deal at a Bass Pro. A plain-Jane 10-22 that came with a 3x9x40 scope for 149.00. The scope was decent too.

I also got a bunch of 500 round bricks of Winchester Wild Cat 22LR for 16 bucks each about 6 months ago.

rondog
July 11, 2009, 02:13 AM
I've bought a few things there, but not much. They really pissed me off when I found out I couldn't buy primers by the 1000, only by single 100 packs, which were double everyone else's price. This was long before "the frenzy" got started.

NC-Mike
July 11, 2009, 02:14 AM

I'd rather wade in a cess-pool. :neener:

ebay sucks :)

hwp
July 11, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have about 500 feedbacks and only ever had one problem.

Tirod
July 11, 2009, 11:38 AM
I shop the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO. Sure, lots of suburbanites are gobbling up high priced outdoor wear for the urban environment, like they've ever been over 5,000 feet on foot with three days of food. Yes, they are posers in my eyes. It's their money, why do I even go?

I shop the catalog outlet. Sometimes there are incredible bargains NO ebay or website would offer. Closeouts at 85% off ARE bargains, and just because somebody decided they have no clue about their actual size or what a product really does is not my problem.

The family likes the indoor decor, museum, live animals, McDonald's, and I get to see the latest gear only the well to do would bother with. It would take a team of porters to carry it all in for turkey hunting, for crying out loud. Nonetheless, I can handle ten multitools side by side, look for an arcane bit of camo in a unique pattern, and hear gunfire right in the building. There is no other store, including the copy cat Academy/Walmarts, where I can shop for rappelling carabiners, broadheads, airsoft pistols, tactical flashlights, or a bass boat, all under one roof.

What's not to like? I don't have to pay the high prices - and I can enjoy the place without a cover charge.

ElPasoWrangler
July 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
I enjoy going to Bass Pro and Cabelas when I go to Phoenix. Other times I go to the local Academy. I find the prices at Academy aqre usually better but hteir selection is not as large. Academy has a low end shirt I like a lot as it is good to conceal carry having a square tail for wearing outside. I bought a Rossi 462 cheap that carries well in a front jeans pocket, shoots good too. I wear my Cabelas cap with my Academy shirt.

SCKimberFan
July 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
Quote:

I'd rather wade in a cess-pool.

ebay sucks

Oh. You mean like Craig's list. :D

All I can say is: Bud's, Bud's, Bud's. (No I don't work for them, they just seem to have better prices than most everyone else, most of the time.)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
But I suppose only on the Springfield store has the catalog outlet. Sure, I'd bet there ARE some great deals in there! But most of us don't have that. :(

jrod014
July 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'd rather wade in a cess-pool.

ebay sucks

Yeah, I can see how you OLDER folks can get confused on ebay. LOL! :neener:

Can't go wrong if you know what you are doing. ;)

seanie!
July 11, 2009, 02:39 PM
I go to Bass Pro Shops quite a bit, as there is one about 20 minutes away from me. I occasionally find some good deals, but the main reason I go there is to handle products that I eventually buy online for cheaper. I'm not too keen on taking gambles on items where I just read product descriptions, so I'll head there(or Cabela's) to look some things over in detail. The majority of my purchases at Bass Pro tend to be clothes. Their Redhead line is great quality for the price. I don't think I've ever made a purchase of more than $50 there at a time though.

RedAlert
July 11, 2009, 03:07 PM
When you walk into a Bass-Pro shop, or Cabelas you notice immediately that the places are really decorated and designed to high end standards. When you pay high prices, you are re-paying them on their investment.

You get better prices at places like COSTCO (in general) because they don't pay for decorating nor need to recoup the costs associated with decorating.

Ralph

TexasRifleman
July 11, 2009, 03:13 PM

10 seconds on Google for me to find it.....

Galyans clearly was having no financial problems at all. Dicks was simply bigger and wanted to remove a strong competitor.

They paid WAY too much to be buying a company in trouble. They bought a company they were afraid of.

AP Online
06-22-2004
Dateline: PITTSBURGH
Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. announced Monday that it will buy rival athletic retailer Galyan's Trading Company Inc. in a cash deal worth $304.9 million.

Pittsburgh-based Dick's will pay Galyan's shareholders $16.75 per share in cash for about 18.2 million outstanding shares. Dick's also will assume about $57 million in Galyan's debt. The purchase price represents a 50.9 percent premium over Galyan's Monday closing price of $11.10 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

The deal was announced after markets closed, and Galyan's shares soared more than 50 percent, or $5.60, in extended trading.

Dick's said the offer would open on June 28, with completion of the deal ...

The bad thing was that Galyan's sold handguns but Dicks did not, so they removed all the handguns from the stores after the buyout.

I had a Galyan's close by and every once in a while they would have a decent price on things.

rondog
July 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
eBay's been OK in my experience, as long as nobody else is bidding on what I want. I don't do bidding wars, and I WON'T use PayPal!!! NFW I'm going to pay a third party mega-corporation to handle a transaction between myself and another person. Give them access to my credit card/bank account, let them charge me "fees" and hit me with "fines"? BS, NFW. I've bought some good stuff for good prices, but only with USPS Money Orders. If they won't take those, then I walk.

hwp
July 13, 2009, 08:37 AM
Paypal charges all fee's to the seller. It is best to be familar with the process before speaking on the subject. Paypal is ebay/ebay is paypal.

jrod014
July 21, 2009, 03:58 PM
eBay's been OK in my experience, as long as nobody else is bidding on what I want. I don't do bidding wars, and I WON'T use PayPal!!! NFW I'm going to pay a third party mega-corporation to handle a transaction between myself and another person. Give them access to my credit card/bank account, let them charge me "fees" and hit me with "fines"? BS, NFW. I've bought some good stuff for good prices, but only with USPS Money Orders. If they won't take those, then I walk.

Yeah, ebay doesnt charge the buyer, only the seller who posted the auction.

catspa
July 21, 2009, 05:33 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, but my answer to this question

"Has anyone here ever bought something from Bass Pro Shop and thought they got a good deal on it?"

is yes.

A few weeks ago I was in Apache Junction AZ when my father died. His trailer is about as secure as a paper bag and I was concerned about his guns being stolen and falling into the wrong hands. I visited two gun dealers looking for hard cases, and found nothing suitable, but one guy suggested I try the Bass Pro in NW Mesa. I went there and bought two aluminum long gun cases and one pistol case, RedHead brand, with integral locks - 250 bucks for all. I was able to secure all the firearms and bring them back with me on Alaska Airlines, which saved me a bundle in FFL fees.

That said, while I was there I asked them about shipping the guns (I didn't know if AA would allow it yet). They quoted me an outrageously high figure, largely because of their policy that each firearm must be shipped in a separate case. I'd have had over a grand invested in cases alone. So I see they can be high on some things.

But when I needed the cases, they had them at a fair price, and I'm quite satisfied.

Parker

lebowski
July 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
IMO, Bass Pro Shops is a tourist trap.

22-rimfire
July 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
I visited the Atlanta GA Bass Pro this past week. Since I don't live in the neighborhood, I find it hard to drive by if it is during business hours. So, I like Bass Pro. Deals? I like their selection and inventory. I can't think of anywhere else that has a fishing department that approaches Bass Pro; maybe Cabelas. But honestly I have never visited a Cabelas store. The SE is deficient in Cabelas stores. Why? Bass Pro of course. It can also be a "tourist trap" which is just fine with me. They have the people to handle the business.

Erik M
July 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
trolling motors and .22 in bulk packs. beef jerky, but the house brand isnt that great.

crazy-mp
July 21, 2009, 11:42 PM
I think it depends on where you live. Not all Bass Pro stores are the same. I live about 45 minutes away from the BPS Headquarters in Springfield, that store is completely different than the Orlando store. They have a nice store in Columbia MO that is more along the lines of the Springfield store, and the Branson store is a tourist trap, they have more t-shirts and hats than anything.

I have purchased quite a bit of stuff from BPS over the years, their gun cleaning products and selection cant be beat, they have more products and a bigger variety than anybody. I have purchased a few guns from them, usually at the end of the year after Christmas they have a big sale on their 10/22's usually around 150.00 which is pretty good for a new in box 10/22. I have also bought a Marlin 336 (30-30) from them, it was about 35 bucks higher than Wal-Mart, but BPS showed me about 6 different ones because the wood grain pattern was a little different, good luck getting wal-mart to bring out 6 guns and let you compare them side by side.

Ammo, gotta know what your looking for, some of it is high, but some of their stuff is pretty reasonable.

BPS is a "one stop shop for outdoors man" it is by no means a hunting firearms only store. They have to carry everything from .338 bullets for reloading to party barge pontoon boats, and ladies running shoes. What other store caters to so many outdoors man? Wal-Mart's entire sporting goods section could fit in the fishing reel section of bass pro.

sniper5
July 22, 2009, 11:18 AM
I live about 5 minutes from Bass Pro. Their strong suit is selection. You can go there and get it and bring it home. And you get to see it, play with it, and try it out in some cases. Prices are not the attraction unless you catch sales and promotions. I try to get powder and primers there when they have them because it beats hazmat fees. I shop Grafs for everything else. My wife goes there for the clothes (they have great sales to clear for next season and she doesn't like the teenybopper stuff they carry at a lot of the other shops) and the fudge.

Ballistic Mule
July 23, 2009, 11:33 PM
Try this, Look at any thing w/ Bass Pro logo on it .Made in China. It does'nt matter what it is.

crazy-mp
July 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
Made in China. It does'nt matter what it is

Its like in almost every store now days, doesn't matter if its mega big box store, or bills lumber yard. If you want stuff that is only made in the USA you will have to go to a Amish store, and even they use Chinese jars and bags now days.

JohnBT
July 24, 2009, 08:32 PM
We've had one here for awhile. I finally went once. Bought another wire handgun rack. Not a great deal, but okay. The 4-gun runs $19 and the 6-gun runs $29.

Come to think of it, my other coated wire racks were only $16.95 at a real gun store.

I walked all over Bass Pro for 2 hours with lots of money burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't find anything else I really wanted.

Oh well.

John

22-rimfire
July 25, 2009, 01:40 AM
Not all Bass Pro stores are the same.

This is a very true statement. They have different store sizes that are geared toward the perceived market prior to construction. I was pretty disappointed with the Macon GA BP overall. The Nashville TN, Sevierville TN, Atlanta GA ones are very good from my perspective. Been to a couple other ones including Myrtle Beach SC. That one is pretty touristy.

420Stainless
July 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
Much of the fishing gear is priced well. Also, I definitely agree with what other say about not all BPS stores being equal. The ones in Memphis and Nashville have decent prices. When I looked into the one in Destin, FL last week on vacation I decided I didn't need to stay long. Guess the overhead must be quite high in that location.

I've actually gotten some ammo from the BPS website at decent prices lately. During these times of heavy gouging, the BPS website often has stock and hasn't let their prices climb much.

Limeyfellow
July 25, 2009, 01:21 PM
I did get a pair of winter boots from Bass Pro on sale at far less than half the price everyone else had them. They even went out of their way to track down the last pair in my size and have them shipped from from across the country to the store. I also occasionally found ammo on sale for a good price and picked that up. For the most part their prices are pretty high, but comparable to the other chain stores like Gander Mountain and Cabelas.

Mostly I just browse through the store once or twice a year to see whats new, occasionally I want to see what they have on sale or to try the ergonomics of a new firearm, blade, axe and so on. For the most part though you can then buy the goods much cheaper elsewhere of the net.

aquapong
July 25, 2009, 02:02 PM
Clothing.

22-rimfire
July 25, 2009, 03:07 PM
The one item I buy frequently at Bass Pro are the Redhead (BP brand) crew or ankle socks for general wear. Love those things. I keep a couple packs of them in reserve since I don't have a BP real close by. My wife works in a hospital and loves them too. At this point, I don't even look at the price anymore for their 6-packs. (or are the 3-packs?) I just buy them.

Kernel
July 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
Some of their store brand socks have a lifetime warranty. Good heavy work socks. I haven't had to buy new socks for me, or my kids, in years. When they get thin, or wore thru, just take them in and exchange them for new ones.

Same deal on shoe laces (except, none of those have wore out, yet).

Buy some fishing stuff.

Guns & ammo... not so much.

See they're building a new one in Des Moines. Right along I-80 near the Worlds of Fun side of town. That'll be nice, since I'll be driving by that sucker at least 10 times a year. I know where I'll be getting my new socks from now on.

mljdeckard
July 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
Responding quite belatedly to Jorg,

I didn't mean to imply that big corporations are evil. I am very much a capitalist. Nor did I mean to imply that one price discrepancy was alone responsible for a chain getting bought out. What I DID mean to imply, is that just because a store chain is big, well-known, and has guys with PhDs and slide-rules running it, it doesn't mean that they are incapable of miscalculating their market and running themselves out of business. We get this "Emperor's New Clothes" mentality about big entities, in business and government, that just because they are big, they are infallible. I've had a few bubbles busted, and I don't look at them this way anymore.

Deltaboy
July 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
I find deals on fishing gear and some ammo. I shop the ones in DFW as a matter of opportunity I don't make special trips since I have an Academy so close to my house.

The Deer Hunter
July 26, 2009, 07:19 PM
I think some people go because it's a cool store. I can't understand it either though, big chain sporting goods stores are just as bad as other big corporate chains. They offer a vague selection of non specialized goods at exceedingly high prices.

It's not the prices that bother me. If I could go to Dick's sporting goods and have a good selection of trap loads manufactured by a good amount of different reputable manufacturers, I would be happy to pay $9/box (plus tax). However that is not the story. Most of the time I end up buying loads in the same ballpark, but it sucks when you normally shoot Remington premier STS loads, #8, 1 1/8th oz. lead, firing at 1200 FPS, but have to settle on something completely different.

The other thing that bothers me about large sporting good chains is that the staff is never very interested or knowledgeable about the products they are selling, beyond what it says on the back of the box. I can't count the number of times I've asked one of the staff members at Dick's about a product, to have them literally read me the information off the box. Sure, I'm glad he is actually putting forth the effort and trying, but it still doesn't cut it.

Now, when I go to Kittery Trading Post, I can find anything. It's an outdoors sporting goods store, with everything from camping, to canooing, to shooting. Their prices, while still "high" in relation to places like MidwayUSA and other online retailers, are reasonable especially considering they are usually cheaper than other sporting goods stores. Even though I could save $20 or whatever by buying online, I'm understand that their marginally higher prices reflect how their business operates. While I can't speak for sales associates working outside the shooting and hunting department, all of the guys that work on the shooting floor know their stuff. Of course I still get the opinions and naysayings from the older guys about this and that, but it seems to go with the sport and I don't mind. But the best part is, if you ask the man behind the counter what you need to start loading .30-06 firing a 165JBT at 2600 FPS, he can get you all the equiptment, ammunition components (large rifle primers are sold out sometimes...) and even help you find specialized loads from the big reloading books they have.

Hk91-762mm
July 26, 2009, 10:43 PM
DEALS-- hahahah Someone has to pay for the Huge Fish tank... And that stone work---Only Bill Gates could afford to have that work at his house .... Besides I dont like spiffy all uniformed sales people -Makes me smell untruths comming my way !
Has anyone ever seen a so called assault weapon for sale there -???? Top selling rifles at this time -you would think they would want to be in on the selling spree...

Ballistic Mule
July 26, 2009, 11:41 PM
You sure gotta point about those uniforms Hk. It also kind of says, I may not know any thing or care if you find what you're looking for.

22-rimfire
July 26, 2009, 11:47 PM
I think some people go because it's a cool store. I can't understand it either though, big chain sporting goods stores are just as bad as other big corporate chains. They offer a vague selection of non specialized goods at exceedingly high prices.

It is a cool store. Firearms are just about the last reason I go to Bass Pro. I look at them, but have never bought anything. Almost bought a short barreled Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag once, but decided against it. It was a priced to sell.

I have found the sales staff to be well trained and informed fairly well with their products. I have no complaints. Wish they had more sales, but I wouldn't make a special trip anyway.

Uniforms.... don't recall. But with uniforms, at least you know who works there.

Big Mike
July 27, 2009, 01:21 AM
The Sportsman's Warehouse just closed here in Tallahassee. I can tell you that unless you were looking for the most unique camping doo-dad there was nothing that couldn't be purchased online, including paying for shipping that would have been as expensive or pricier than the average item in that store. I've only been in a Bass Pro once (Destin, FL) , thought it was a cool store, but the firearm prices were high.

22-rimfire
July 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
That is news. That was one of the stores that they kept during the Chaper 13 reorganizaton.

omalon
July 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
I bought a Ruger Single Six NR-6l for $349 OTD last May and BPS beat everyone's price.

rondog
July 28, 2009, 02:40 AM
Paypal charges all fee's to the seller. It is best to be familar with the process before speaking on the subject. Paypal is ebay/ebay is paypal.

If you wanna trust PayPal, go right ahead.

And our BPS here in Denver is huge. My feet are pissed long before I get to the gun dept.

flor1
July 28, 2009, 07:55 AM
Have to say bought a Browning 22 pistol at Bass Pro saved $50.00 over to local stores. Looked at Gun Broker and still saved about the same. If your going to buy there you have to do your homework and know prices.

Gungle George
July 28, 2009, 08:17 AM
In a word, no. Every now and then I'll get a good deal on a fishing lure but for the most part they are way out there. And they don't do the 20% off, triple points, $5 shipping, $20/$30 off like Cabela's does all the time.

Cheers,

Gungle George

achildofthesky
July 28, 2009, 11:25 AM
The restaurant in the Tulsa BPS has decent prices, But EVERYTHING outdoors related was high. I use the store as one big fitting room and find an item I like and shop online for decent prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just went to Bass Pro Shop. Do they have good prices on ANYTHING?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!