Why do you own an AR/AK, Sig 556 type rifle?

PDA

HoosierQ
July 10, 2009, 10:08 AM
I don't own one, but I know why I want to...and I think I know what the results will be...help me out. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do you own an AR/AK, Sig 556 type rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
July 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
I voted other, because the poll lacks ---ALL OF THE ABOVE.

gvnwst
July 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
I agree with highorder, the poll lacks that option. Perhaps making a poll that you can seect multipule answers?

clemsonu0219
July 10, 2009, 11:00 AM
All of em

runrabbitrun
July 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
All the above should be to be added to your poll.

Tennessee Ned
July 10, 2009, 11:06 AM
I don't have one either but I want one for 'all of the above' reasons and because my 'collection' needs one.

HoosierQ
July 10, 2009, 11:31 AM
This is my first attempt at a poll. I will do multiples next time...I saw that check box but left it at the default setting.

Good feedback.

briansmithwins
July 10, 2009, 11:32 AM
The AK is a marvel of engineering. everything is there because it needs to be there. It has its quirks but is perfectly functional for what it was designed to do: Provide superior firepower than a bolt action rifle while being easy to produce and maintain.

The Sov had both their own and German experience to learn from during the Great Patriotic War. Superior technology is useless if you can't make enough of the superior tech fast enough to equip you soldiers adequately. The perfect weapon is useless if it can't be maintained by the average soldier in field conditions. BSW

Bartholomew Roberts
July 10, 2009, 11:36 AM
All of the above, plus the fact that government has tried to restrict them in the past. Something in my core being just makes me stubborn that way.

I had a flash hider all through the 1994 AWB just because it was a "prohibited feature." I kept it even after it became apparent a muzzle brake would serve my needs better. After the ban expired, I finally switched to a brake.

yosarian
July 10, 2009, 11:39 AM
All of the above.

P.B.Walsh
July 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
I want one for all of the above. :)

BMF500
July 10, 2009, 11:46 AM
I suppose SKS fits into this categorey, I would have to say---All of the above as well. Although most people tell me it's an unusual choice, I think they are friggin' great for hog hunting. In general replacement and custom parts/accessories are cheap and readily accessable.

Boba Fett
July 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
Other - aka All Of The Above.

Zach S
July 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
I voted other - most of the above.

I cant really say I got interested in them because they were semi-auto versions of military firearms (that interest came much later though).

The biggest thing was the .gov saying we couldn't be trusted with one, since they were semi-auto versions of military firearms....

Okay, I guess all of the above works...

bigalexe
July 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
I don't own one but want an AR because they are fun to plink with.

Badger Arms
July 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
voted other because it's 'none of your business'. The 2nd Ammendment is my reason.

meytind
July 10, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think many people own them because of military service. In my case, it's the weapon system I'm most familiar with.

Smithiac
July 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
I voted fun to shoot. and they are one of the best varmint platforms I have ever used. AR wise anyway the AK not so much.

EdLaver
July 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
I vote all of the above and add two:

For collector's appeal
To show family members who dont own these type of firearms and get oooohs and aaaaahs :)

CoRoMo
July 10, 2009, 01:01 PM
I wish I could have voted for more than one, but not necessarily all of the above.

mljdeckard
July 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
I would say all of the above, to some degree. That's the beautiful thing about them, if you buy them for one reason, you can change your mind later. :)

KW
July 10, 2009, 01:10 PM
Other - All of the above

TheWarhammer
July 10, 2009, 01:12 PM
I think it should be required that the OP on the polls states his own opinion BEFORE asking why of everyone else, rather than posting a coy, but uninformative "I know why I want to."

FWIW, my choice is "all of the above."

July 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Because I like them. Good enough?

R.W.Dale
July 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
hunting
target shootin
the challenge of the build
and
fun

so I voted OTHER

NoAlibi
July 10, 2009, 01:36 PM
Other = all of the above for me.

I have ARs in several configurations and their versatility is one of the reasons I own them. It can be as easy as changing the upper receiver.

Upper 1. 20" HB with iron sights - my most used practice gun.

Upper 2. 20" HB with Tasco P-5 Red Dot Sight - my go-to-gun when things go bump in the night outside.

Upper 3. 11" HB on a dedicated AR pistol receiver with a laser sight - my go-to-gun when things go bump in the-night inside the house.

Upper 4. 24" S/S HB high-rise that is a tack driver. 1/2 moa if you do your part.

Upper 5. 16" bbl in 7.62x39 - Great accessory when they were almost giving the ammo away! Plus there are some who believe it is a better cartridge for use within 150 yards than the .223

Upper 6. - 16" standard contour bbl with iron and laser sights - my honey's AR which I once thought was mine - silly rabbit! :rolleyes:

Dr.Rob
July 10, 2009, 01:43 PM
Because some politician said I shouldn't be allowed to own such a piece of technology. That was my reason for buying my first one back in 94.

Since then yeah, they are a lot of fun to shoot.

DeepSouth
July 10, 2009, 01:51 PM
For their home and self defense capabilities?
YES

To have in case of SHTF (societal collapse)?------or an attack on my country that would require me to defend it.
YES

An interest in military firearms in general?
A little I suppose, but AK's & AR's aren't WW1&2 weapons, so not really

They are just a lot of fun to shoot?
YES

Other
Another YES, The ol' "If you don't use a freedom you'll loose it" thing and the possibility of a stricter and permanent ASW ban before my kids get grown and they might want one.

rbernie
July 10, 2009, 01:53 PM
I hunted with 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 semiauto rifles for years. I still do, using 6.8SPC mostly.

Schleprok62
July 10, 2009, 02:01 PM
All of the above, and the 2nd Amendment says I can... :D

HoosierQ
July 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
duplicate

HoosierQ
July 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
Notes to self:

Add an "all of the above" on my next poll (which is a good point).
Don't be coy (about which I have not clue).

Obviously Fun to shoot and "all of the above" are the clear winners which is what I was driving at. They're just a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, and darned handy things to have should the going get rough.

ChCx2744
July 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
I chose other because If I am limited to my pistol and shotgun in closing the gap in distance between myself and a target, I want to be able to reach out and touch 'em.

aka108
July 10, 2009, 07:04 PM
The AK's are fun to shoot as well as a engineering marvel. Absolute reliabilty but no more comlicated than the old repeating cap guns we had as kids in the 40's.

jhco
July 10, 2009, 07:06 PM
Pure fun and I love the military look

MJR007
July 10, 2009, 07:53 PM
Other

I hunt fot food and fur. AR15 25WSSM, AR 15 7.62 x 39mm, and AR15 458 socom next.

Eightball
July 10, 2009, 08:18 PM
History buff, firearms geek/hobbyist.

You need "For any/all legal reasons" on that list. The "Because I Can" factor is right up there with the "It makes antis crap themselves" factor, and all of the above are perfectly acceptable reasons, IMO.

taliv
July 10, 2009, 08:26 PM
holy crap, people

of course we all like them for ALL those reasons and more. the poll asked about the "PRIMARY reason"

tactikel
July 10, 2009, 08:36 PM
My chemistry professor loved to give you the multiple choice options of:
A
B
C
A&B
A&C
None of the above :what:

Get a SKS, more accurate than an AK, cheaper than the SIG, and it has a bayonet and a grenade launcher :evil:

HoosierQ
July 10, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well for what it is worth, I found out what I expected...the most popular reason by far is that they are fun to shoot.

My motives for this poll come from conversations at work where a lot of people shoot for fun and there are several bone fide collectors. In all groups of such people, somebody is bound to wonder about whether or not the "EBR" has much of a point...even if you own 20 other guns...traditionalists let's call them. When I was a kid, I wanted a Remington Nylon 66. My dad said..."one of the neat things about guns is the nice wood...a plastic gun? Humbug"...or something to that effect...a traditionalist.

Well the head of the company I work for and another member of senior management...both of whom are the sort of traditionalists of which I speak above...got identical DPMS carbines that were selling for $700 at a gun show recently and both got them "because they can now and might not be able in future" kind of thing.

Both said to me on Monday morning "dude you missed the boat". Both said, "I am just going to keep it for a while and then sell if for twice as much in a couple of months/years...whatever". THEN...

...They shot them:what: They were both so gobsmacked by how much fun a .223/.556 AR is to shoot that they are both now "I am never selling that thing!".

So anyway, when the anti's and the uninitiated wonder why we want/have these things we can say with at least some quasi-scientific poll data backing us up that "They're fun to shoot". And since shooting is our 2nd Amendment right that's good enough!

PS. I would certainly consider an SKS, an M1 Carbine or any other military rifle in this category as well...but I think the uninitiated are not so scared of anything wooden.

jon_in_wv
July 10, 2009, 10:53 PM
I wanted to put "all of the above" but you didn't have that as one of the choices. I am, however, trying to trade off my AK. It just sits in my safe. I'm more into shooting bolt guns for distance work and my SKS pretty much duplicates the capabilities of the AK.

possum
July 11, 2009, 01:24 AM
Why do you own an AR/AK, Sig 556 type rifle?
1) I can
2) terminal ballistics wise they are far supperior to any handgun
3) they are easier to shoot faster and more accurately than a handgun
4) accurate enough to stop man size threats at 300+ meters(ar) a little less with an ak.
5) i am in the militray and i like to be able to know how to use what my enemy uses there fore i cross train on the ak, also i don't get the training that i know i should have or deserve on the ar/m4 series so therefor i train on it in my own time, out of my own pocket, and attend training courses when i can, not only for my own bennifet but also to bring back that info and training to my men.

ByAnyMeans
July 11, 2009, 01:27 AM
"I voted other, because the poll lacks ---ALL OF THE ABOVE. "

+1

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 11, 2009, 01:29 AM
I'd say first, for societal collapse/SHTF. Close 2nd is just fun to shoot. Third is home defense. 4th is as a lightweight hunter/varminter.

10-Ring
July 11, 2009, 03:56 AM
I voted other -- it's my way of being politically active and supportive of my hobby/sport

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 11, 2009, 05:29 AM
I have an interest in "military" firearms and they're fun to shoot.

SHTF/EOTWAWKI/Zombie **** is retarded.

Ky Larry
July 11, 2009, 08:14 AM
Several years ago, these weapons (ESP.AK's &SKS"s) were dirt cheap and ammo was cheap and available. I paid $130.00 for my AK about 20 years ago and bought several cases of ammo for $80.00 per 1000rnds,

CZ223
July 11, 2009, 08:39 AM
in military firearms, just because they are/ were in military use. Though have had some that I loved. That said, yes to all the other reasons, though I chose fun as my main reason. There are a lot of other guns that I would go to first for HD.

stubbicatt
July 11, 2009, 08:47 AM
I chose because they are fun to shoot.

I find that if I try to justify ownership of these rifles for any perceived "need" I am only deluding myself, maybe trying to assuage budgetary concerns or something. They are fun. Expensive fun, but fun nonetheless.

Zach S
July 11, 2009, 08:54 AM
holy crap, people

of course we all like them for ALL those reasons and more. the poll asked about the "PRIMARY reason"
A primary reason for liking a certain gun is like a primary reason for loving your wife.

Its all the little things that add up.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 11, 2009, 10:19 AM
SHTF/EOTWAWKI/Zombie **** is retarded.

Yep. Cuz Katrina didn't happen, and if it did, won't ever happen again.

SoCalShooter
July 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
1. SHTF
2. ZOMBIES
3. Government
4. Home Defense
5. Fun to shoot
6. Collector

benEzra
July 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
All of the above.

2TransAms
July 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
Same here, all of the above. Mostly "fun to shoot" though. Civil unrest is a small but very serious concern.

Birdmang
July 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
COD4 BRO!

They look sweet.

heron
July 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
SHTF; also just for fun.
I bought a Saiga .223, but only because it was incredibly cheap ($270). If I hadn't seen that price tag, I would not have purchased. I have other rifles (rimfire), and have never been paranoid enough to stock up on stuff against a SHTF possibility, but at that price, a "just in case" centerfire became a "why not?"
Now that I have it, I've gained a great deal of appreciation for the genius of the AK design. Since it's so cheap and ugly, I've also felt free to do some tinkering to it.
Many hundreds of rounds, and never a hiccup. Pull the trigger, and it shoots -- always.

NoAlibi
July 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm fairly new on this site and I've figured out most of this stuff, but I'm stumped on this one: EOTWAWKI :confused:

A little help please -- thanks, NoAlibi

TheWarhammer
July 13, 2009, 01:04 PM
EOTWAWKI = End Of The World As We Know It

NoLifer211
July 14, 2009, 11:33 AM
All of the above.

Recently picked up an Arsenal-assembled Saiga SGL20-41 (an AK). It shoots like a dream come true. I took it to my local range last weekend, and I easily and consistently put 20-30 rounds in 2 inch groups at 30 yards...at least I think so...there wasn't enough paper left in the center for an accurate count after 10 rounds or so. This was my second time on the rifle, and I haven't fired an ASW in 8 years.

NoLifer211
July 14, 2009, 11:45 AM
By the way, *GREAT* answer Possum

Also, Doc and Birdmang ("COD4 BRO!" = flippin hilarious!!)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do you own an AR/AK, Sig 556 type rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!