lever-action 30-30

PDA

SHusky57
July 10, 2009, 06:21 PM
My Marlin 336 is probably my favorite.
Just a question about lever-guns in general.

Is there any way to make the action smoother?
When I operate the lever, the last 25% of the way isn't very smooth. Is this just the mechanics of the rifle or did I do something wrong when I took it apart for cleaning and put it back together? :confused:

It works just fine, I was just wondering if anything can be done to loosen it up?

If you enjoyed reading about "lever-action 30-30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acera
July 10, 2009, 06:33 PM
Trade it in for a Winchester.

Now that ought to get some stirred up.:evil:

1911Tuner
July 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
Find a good smith who specializes in tuning rifles and revolvers for Cowboy Action shooting. Those boys can do wonders with leverguns.

Ben Shepherd
July 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
Look at your bolt, especially the bottom side that runs on the hammer face. Is it rough at all? That's what my trouble turned out to be:

The only Marlin I have had a bolt that was about as smooth as 80 grit. Gunsmith spent an hour or so smoothing it up, and now it runs fine. Not as slick as my Winchester 94s, but not rough in the least.

ECVMatt
July 10, 2009, 07:23 PM
You might check your ejector. Sometimes they can get out of whack when you install the bolt.

It should be smooth all the way though...

you might ask here as well...

http://www.marlinowners.com/

Good Luck

Big Matt
July 10, 2009, 11:43 PM
Wow I must be extremely lucky as the 10 or so marlins I own have "glass smooth" actions. And every winchester I've ever fired has had a balky, speed bump style action???

cyclopsshooter
July 10, 2009, 11:48 PM
dirty bolt / burrs

all firearms periodically need a full tear down detail clean to remain reliable

SHusky57
July 11, 2009, 06:05 AM
Can burrs be fixed by break-in? For break-in, just work the action a lot and/or shoot it?

It's really not terrible, I don't want to give a bad impression. The last 5% seems to be the worst/toughest where the lever goes back into the stock.

Sav .250
July 11, 2009, 07:31 AM
" did I do something wrong when I took it apart for cleaning and put it back
together?" If your didn`t have this problem before...then maybe yes.
If the problem was there from the get-go and cleaning didn`t help. Then maybe a trip to your favorite gun-smith is in order.
Smooth...not smooth, a matter of opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "lever-action 30-30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!