Single Action: Standard or Bisley Grip?

PDA

hawk45
July 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
Researching single actions in .45LC. I'm set on a Ruger, but was wondering which is more comfortable? Bisley or the standard grip?

I'll probably end up with a 5.5" Blue Vaquaro and a 4 5/8" SS Blackhawk when all said and done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Action: Standard or Bisley Grip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.38 Special
July 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
I find the Bisley grip more comfortable for truly heavy recoil than any other grip. It has that reputation in many quarters, and custom makers like Hamilton Bowen almost insist on it for monsters like the .475 Linebaugh.

Some notable handgunners report that they really don't like it, though. J.D. Jones comes to mind.

And the standard grip is known for its natural pointing, whereas the Bisley grip isn't.

In your shoes, I would take the Bisley grip if you are looking to fire heavy hunting loads in .45 Colt. If you are sticking with standard and "cowboy" loads, I'd just pick whichever grip feels/looks best to you.

HTH!

LightningMan
July 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
One other thing you may want to consider is weather you plan to shoot one handed or two handed, for target shooting. It is my under standing that the Bisley grip was designed for one handed target shooting. by the way, isn't it named after some old time famous English shooting range? Just my 2 cents. LM

Gunfighter123
July 10, 2009, 09:26 PM
Even with my small hands , I like the Bisley grip ---- also , for me , the hammers on the Bisleys made it much easier to cock one handed or two.

BCRider
July 10, 2009, 10:25 PM
What loads will you be shooting? I've shot a couple of cylinders of cowboy action strength 45LC and frankly it has about the same POP as .38Spl from the same gun. So as far as recoil control goes unless you'll be looking at using full on 45LC loads then get the one that feels the most comfy or that you can cock the hammers on the easiest.

From my reading I gather the Bisley grips soak up the recoil a lot more nicely so if you'll be shooting a fair amount of "regular strength" 45LC then it may be worth the hunt to find them.

GRIZ22
July 10, 2009, 10:30 PM
Bisley or the standard grip?

Some will state advantages and disadvantages to each but it all boils down to being subjective.

gb6491
July 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
Some will state advantages and disadvantages to each but it all boils down to being subjective.
+1, It's all in what feels right to you.. I have a slight inclination to the Bisley grip, but find the standard grip frame works well. There are also different style/material grip panels (for both frames) that will change how the piece feels in your hand (the Gunfighter style (http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Blackhawk-Single-Six-Vaquero.html) is one example)
http://i43.tinypic.com/4j59o5.jpg
Regards,
Greg

.38 Special
July 10, 2009, 11:13 PM
It is my under standing that the Bisley grip was designed for one handed target shooting.

Yes, but the "real" Bisley grip isn't really anything like the Bisley grip found on Ruger and Freedom Arms guns. The Ruger Bisley works very well with a two-handed grip.

From my reading I gather the Bisley grips soak up the recoil a lot more nicely so if you'll be shooting a fair amount of "regular strength" 45LC then it may be worth the hunt to find them.

The regular SA grip is quite curved. It absorbs recoil by sliding in the hand as the muzzle rises. This works fine for light and medium cartridges. With heavy loads it sucks, as the gun slides violently in the hand, perhaps even burying the hammer spur in your wrist. The Bisley grip is much more vertical, so the gun comes straight back instead of sliding. This is much more comfortable with heavy loads -- and the old Colt can be safely loaded to 325/1300 in the Ruger. That produces real recoil. I tried it in a standard Blackhawk -- once.

Technically, it is indeed "subjective", in that occasionally you'll find someone that thinks the Bisley grip is no good for heavy recoil. Every handgunner that I have personally discussed it with strongly favors the Bisley for hot loads, though.

BlkHawk73
July 10, 2009, 11:37 PM
I prefer the Bisley but don't find the other uncomfortable. Best choice is to go with the one YOU prefer.

ArmedBear
July 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Yes, but the "real" Bisley grip isn't really anything like the Bisley grip found on Ruger and Freedom Arms guns. The Ruger Bisley works very well with a two-handed grip.

A Bisley grip looks like this:
http://www.jdbedwell.com/Guns/images/Bisley.jpg

I believe you can get new guns with this grip design from Uberti, USFA, and perhaps some others.

The Ruger, Freedom Arms and similar grips are derived from an old Elmer Keith project, where he apparently grafted the front half of a Bisley grip frame (includes the trigger guard on the Colt design) to the back half or a SAA grip frame, and shaped a grip to match. It seems this turned out to work pretty well.
http://www.barrantileather.com/images/ek_no5.jpg

You can read about that here: http://www.barrantileather.com/Page_5.html

For comparison, here's the standard SAA grip:
http://www.curtrich.com/clip_image032.jpg

Different again are the Ruger Blackhawk grips and Super Blackhawk "Dragoon" grips.

So really, the only way to figure out what you like is try them all. There are far more choices than it would seem.:)

Virginian
July 11, 2009, 01:08 AM
The Bisley (actually the Ruger version is not a true Bisley anyway) version has a lot of vocal proponents that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but there are in fact a hell of a lot more of us who greatly prefer the regular grip. And there are even some of us who hate the Bisley grip. I saw some numbers, but it has been a while, and I think the preference was like 8 to 1 for the regular grip. Handle both if you can, and shoot them too if possible, and then get what you want and nothing less. Nobody else is going to be paying to shoot your guns.

Dr.Rob
July 11, 2009, 01:15 AM
Super Blackhawk Hunter grip is SAA style but longer/upsized and I think the best of Ruger's grip-frames.

ArmedBear
July 11, 2009, 02:09 AM
Super Blackhawk Hunter grip

That's the Dragoon grip, just like the regular 7.5" and 10.5" SBH, but with a round trigger guard.:)

Harder to keep it from stringing vertically than other designs, but it doesn't hurt when you shoot it, even a lot, with really hot loads.

.38 Special
July 11, 2009, 02:11 AM
but there are in fact a hell of a lot more of us who greatly prefer the regular grip. And there are even some of us who hate the Bisley grip. I saw some numbers, but it has been a while, and I think the preference was like 8 to 1 for the regular grip.

I'd just love to see this "study". Don't forget to show your work!

Birdmang
July 11, 2009, 02:13 AM
I really want a bad ass pair of Ruger Vaqueros or similar revolvers to wear like Pancho Villa!

Even if it can only be in my house because its illegal outside!

ArchAngelCD
July 11, 2009, 02:14 AM
I like the Ruger Bisley grip frame but I DO NOT like the Colt Bisley grip frame at all. I have an original Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt and it's a pleasure to shoot. I have 2 New Vaqueros in 38/357 without the Bisley grip frame and they are comfortable to shoot too. I guess I like them both! LOL As of Jan. 2009 Ruger has a New Vaquero with a Bisley grip frame so you can choose either. (or even buy one of the many Colt clones currently available)

D R Greysun
July 11, 2009, 02:24 AM
" Single Action: Standard or Bisley Grip?
Researching single actions in .45LC. I'm set on a Ruger, but was wondering which is more comfortable? Bisley or the standard grip?

I'll probably end up with a 5.5" Blue Vaquaro and a 4 5/8" SS Blackhawk when all said and done. "

FWIW,

I have both a Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. 7 1/2" and 2 Bisley Vaquaro's 44 Mag. 5 1/2". I consider my hands to be average in size and I prefer the Bisley grip to the SBK (std grip). Fact is I have Pachmayr #03163 Presentation grips on the SBK as it mostly is used with Hunting loads. I get along just fine with the stock Bisley's but did change out the hammers to Std. Blackhawk type. As for this recoil thing, the std. BH grips will let the revolver rotate with recoil more so than the Bisleys. If shooting with one hand that rotation will make it easier to cock for a follow up shot. To each his own medicine. The reality is recoil is perceived in different ways by different people. You can learn to work with it or do your best to control it.

D R

Rollinruger
July 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
I just got a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Mag. I was not sure about the Bisley but it works just fine. Personally, I like the look of the original but it was unavailable at the time I bought. I got tired of waiting and bought the Bisley.

BlkHawk73
July 11, 2009, 06:49 PM
Quote:
but there are in fact a hell of a lot more of us who greatly prefer the regular grip. And there are even some of us who hate the Bisley grip. I saw some numbers, but it has been a while, and I think the preference was like 8 to 1 for the regular grip.
I'd just love to see this "study". Don't forget to show your work!

+1 Without showing one's work, the rest wonder how the results came about. ;) Wonder how many of those questioned actully shot/handled both and if such a comparison was don with a an actual side by side comparison. :roll:

paochow
July 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
I prefer the standard grip. Once you learn to let the gun rotate in your hand it takes the brunt of the recoil, even with .44 mag.

Tequila Mockingbird
July 13, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'll vote for the Bisley type grip. The standard Peacemaker grip is too wide at the bottom for my liking...

Virginian
July 14, 2009, 12:50 AM
Why is it only Bisley guys question numbers? :neener:
Ever notice how Ruger has quit making their Bisley Models several times? Don't recall any 'regular' models experiencing these breaks. I really don't think they caught on until a bunch of women started shooting Cowboy games. :what:

Lighten up. I don't know what any exact numbers are; didn't claim to, but I am 100% absolutely positive the regular grip is more popular. And I didn't tell anyone to get anything other than what they prefer. You Bisley guys are the ones pimping for more Bisley shooters so you'll have more market share! :eek:

Beagle-zebub
July 14, 2009, 01:54 AM
The popularity of the regular grip over the Bisley might be due to the majority of Blackhawk buyers not knowing of the Bisley's existence, or understanding its benefits.

ArchAngelCD
July 14, 2009, 02:25 AM
It's not only the grip frame to consider, I like the rounded trigger and flatter hammer too.

gb6491
July 14, 2009, 12:38 PM
Why is it only Bisley guys question numbers?
Ever notice how Ruger has quit making their Bisley Models several times? Don't recall any 'regular' models experiencing these breaks. I really don't think they caught on until a bunch of women started shooting Cowboy games.
Probably because the Plow handle guys bring them up:D
Yep, them farmers sure do like counting beans.:neener:

All in good fun, both grip styles have there merits:)
Regards,
Greg

Leadhead
July 14, 2009, 01:14 PM
Super Blackhawk Hunter grip is SAA style but longer/upsized and I think the best of Ruger's grip-frames.

I agree with the Doc. I like this grip size/shape the best for superblackhawks...

Volvit
July 14, 2009, 01:54 PM
Yes and I will "3rd" that. I have a Super Blackhawk Hunter and a Super Blackhawk, niether bisley, and the Hunter just feels better.

Vern Humphrey
July 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
One other thing you may want to consider is weather you plan to shoot one handed or two handed, for target shooting. It is my under standing that the Bisley grip was designed for one handed target shooting.
All handgun grips were designed for one handed target shooting, including the M1911, the S&W Model 10, 28 and 29 and so on.

Two-handed shooting ("Modern Pistol Technique") has yet to produce a standard handgun with grips especially designed for shooting that way. The closest any standard handgun comes is those with squared and checkered trigger guards -- which is really not what you want.
by the way, isn't it named after some old time famous English shooting range?
Yep. The Bisley range.

Gryffydd
July 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
The popularity of the regular grip over the Bisley might be due to the majority of Blackhawk buyers not knowing of the Bisley's existence, or understanding its benefits.
That and most of them aren't shooting 300gr bullets at 1300fps... Something being more common doesn't make it better for all uses.

OregonJohnny
July 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
My "dream" single-action revolver would be a 10.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum stainless with the square trigger guard and larger grip frame, with the barrel cut down to 5.5" to be flush with the longer-style extractor. I've seen pictures floating around the internet of some custom pieces that fit this exact description, and I wish Ruger would just go ahead and make it. Then, I wish they'd do it in .45 Colt, too, for those traditionalists!

I've held both a standard Super Blackhawk 4-5/8" and a Super Blackhawk 10.5" side by side, and the slight difference in grip frames makes a big difference in the comfort department. The larger grip of the 7.5" and 10.5" is far better, in my opinion.

The Bisley looks sad and mopey. Like it's melting. I'm sure they're nice to shoot, but not too nice to look at. Just one man's opinion, others seem to love the looks.

Gryffydd
July 14, 2009, 04:06 PM
The Bisley looks sad and mopey. Like it's melting. I'm sure they're nice to shoot, but not too nice to look at. Just one man's opinion, others seem to love the looks.

I think mine's rather pretty :)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n317/bradgriff/wm_1136878-1.jpg

OregonJohnny
July 14, 2009, 04:11 PM
Gryffydd,

Truly a beautiful Ruger. I was referring to the grip and hammer shapes on a Bisley revolver, how they look almost like they're sagging. I know it's purpose is functional, and if I shot a Bisley revolver, maybe my opinion on their looks would change. But one man's less-than-ideal looking revolver is another man's pride and joy!

Reid73
July 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
some old time famous English shooting range"Old time"? Bisley is still going strong today. Among other things, it is the site of the NRA's Imperial Meeting.

Dr.Rob
July 14, 2009, 05:16 PM
You can improve the Vaquero's (and Blackhawk's) grip immensely by putting skinnier grips on them. Give your hand more grab, even with beefy loads. I shoot 300 gr Privi Partizan out of mine with smooth buffalo horn 'gunfighter' grips from Eagle.

highlander 5
July 14, 2009, 05:44 PM
I have a Super Blackhawk 4 5/8 ' barrel that I had a Bisley grip frame,trigger and hammer fitted and mag a ported.
The pistol with the standard grip was a wrist wrencher with factory and handloads. With the Bisley grip and mag na porting this is now a pussycat to shoot. I have 2 other Blackhawks with the Bisley grip in 45 Colt and believe me they are quite comfortable to shoot be it mild factory loads or 300 gr cast LBT bullet at 1300+ fps.

Leadhead
July 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
You can improve the Vaquero's (and Blackhawk's) grip immensely by putting skinnier grips on them. Give your hand more grab, even with beefy loads. I shoot 300 gr Privi Partizan out of mine with smooth buffalo horn 'gunfighter' grips from Eagle.

Funny you should say that I was thinking the same....customizing the grip to the shooters hand goes a long way for shooting comfort!

Leadhead
July 14, 2009, 06:15 PM
It would be nice if we could custom order the guns from Ruger with the parts we all want....

July 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
I've had both and actually prefer the standard grip to shoot and the Bisley for looks. The Bisley nails the crap out of my middle finger with heavy loads and the standard gives me no problems at all. All comes down to personal opinion and feel.

Gryffydd
July 14, 2009, 06:31 PM
I know it's purpose is functional, and if I shot a Bisley revolver, maybe my opinion on their looks would change. But one man's less-than-ideal looking revolver is another man's pride
I actually prefer the looks of the standard grip myself...It just seems more traditional, which is a good thing in a single action revolver. On the other hand, I think the overall appearance of a gun can still be on the positive side even with the slightly odd looking Bisley grip/hammer.
ve had both and actually prefer the standard grip to shoot and the Bisley for looks.
Definitely all about personal opinion and feel. Kind of like those gorilla-handed folks who love the Glock 21 because it gives them enough gun to hold on to, compared to those like me who can barely reach the trigger and still hang on...
I can shoot heavy (335gr @ 1150) all day long with the Bisley. My wrist will start to hurt eventually, but my hand stays quite comfortable. I haven't shot a load like that in the standard grip, but judging by the substantially lighter loads I have shot, I'd rather not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Action: Standard or Bisley Grip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!