AK state law as regards gun rights.

PDA

jim in Anchorage
July 11, 2009, 01:27 AM
I have noticed in some of these threads remarks like"not in so and so county/city can you do that" Alaska has a law called"Municipal Preemption" Which essentially means no local government can pass a firearms law more restrictive then state law.Therefore a city like Anchorage can't say"no CC in airports"-state law allows it,so the city's law is invalid.

Just thought I would throw this out there so some of you living in states with a mish-mash of laws would realize it don't have to be that way. The state can stop it.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK state law as regards gun rights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
July 11, 2009, 01:40 AM
Two other states that have a state firearm preemption law.
California and Nevada.

almostfree
July 11, 2009, 01:55 AM
Texas does as well. I think a lot of states do.

By the way, the Alaska State Troopers website does not acknowledge preemption. From their concealed carry FAQ:

Q: Can I carry my handgun in the glove box of my vehicle?
A: Local ordinances vary from city to city in Alaska. Contact your city, borough, or municipal police department and ask them about their ordinances concerning firearms and concealed weapons.

I heard a guy on another forum (Alaska outdoors) talk about being ticketed $150 for open carry in Palmer in 2007 under old ordinances. His attorney tried to argue state preemption in court, but ended up taking a plea when it was obvious that it was going to cost him more to fight it.

General Geoff
July 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
So there's no existing Alaskan case law that gives teeth to state preemption? That kinda sucks.

We do have state preemption here in Pennsylvania.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK state law as regards gun rights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!