Brass plated steel case?

PDA

Mooseman
July 11, 2009, 03:24 AM
I see some of the bear described as this. Is there a point to doing this other than making it look like a brass case?

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass plated steel case?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RoostRider
July 11, 2009, 03:33 AM
Brass is easier on your chamber than steel?

All of the steel I shoot is lacquered.....

Speedo66
July 11, 2009, 10:28 AM
Some S&B 9mm is brass plated steel also. Much better quality, cleaner, ammo than the Russian though.

musick
July 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
If you trust the advertising:

"This ammo is manufactured by JSC Barnaul Machine-Tool Plant in Russia. Barnaul is considered to be the premier ammunition factory in Russia, and it supplies most of the ammo to the Russian Military. This ammo has a unique brass plated steel case, which gives you all the characteristics of brass, at a fraction of the cost. Since this ammo is brass plated, it functions much smoother than any other steel cased ammo, and it is much CLEANER than any other Russian brand, such as Wolf. This ammo is 100% non-corrosive and the primer and case mouth are sealed for moisture protection."

Bold and underline added by me.

Im of the opinion that since its only plated, it doesnt change the fact one is shooting brass colored steel cased ammo.

My guess - manufacturers do this mainly in response to the unfounded notion that steel is harder on extractors than brass, and the founded notion that steel cases cause dirtier chambers (expansion properties).

rcmodel
July 11, 2009, 01:18 PM
Is there a point to doing this other than making it look like a brass case?Steel case ammo has to be coated with something to keep it from rusting into a solid lump if it gets wet.

The coating also plays a slight role in easing extraction, be it lacquer, polymer, or brass plating. The U.S. used zinc plating on the steel case ammo made in WWII.

At the time the brass plating came along, there was a lot of grumbling about the lacquer coating they previously were using causing chamber fouling & stuck cases.

Wolf went to a polymer coating and Barnaul went to the "Bi-Metal" brass coating.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass plated steel case?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!