28 Days Later...

PDA

NIGHTWATCH
October 23, 2003, 02:34 AM
http://forums.allaboutguns.com/albums/nightwatch/28days.jpg

The name of the horror film I just saw, will change the way you think about zombies.

This film comes from England. And has a storyline that is based more on fact than the horror norm. A virus erupts (RAGE) in England that within 28 days, leaves the country in ruin. And turning all those infected into the most violent people you can possibly imagine. What makes this film so scary to me was that it can happen. No fiction here.

Being made in England however, the survivors are not armed. Their hope is to find soldiers "who will protect us". That aside, see this flic and dont be surprised if you get the urge to stock up on ammo. Im not kidding.

If you enjoyed reading about "28 Days Later..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tiberius
October 23, 2003, 02:40 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to the DVD. It is based on the book "I am Legend" so is basically the same story as the outstanding 70's flick "The Omega Man" starring Mr. Heston.
Being made in England however, the survivors are not armed. Their hope is to find soldiers "who will protect us". That aside, see this flic and dont be surprised if you get the urge to stock up on ammo. Im not kidding.
Needless to say, Mr. Heston IS armed in "The Omega Man" and he has plenty of ammo :)

TheeBadOne
October 23, 2003, 03:00 AM
The Omega man had some cool interaction between "Moses" and the leader of the Zombies.

"User of the wheel"... :D

Kaylee
October 23, 2003, 03:03 AM
so, how about those SA-80's, hunh? *hint hint*

NIGHTWATCH.. there's also a couple threads on this in the archive, if you want a look. :)

-K

Chuck Dye
October 23, 2003, 03:06 AM
Read White Plague by Frank Herbert (1972) and recognize how little suspension of disbelief is required.

NIGHTWATCH
October 23, 2003, 03:13 AM
Sorry Kaylee. :( I did search the topic before hand but "28 days" came up as too short an entry. I got zilch on the search.

NIGHTWATCH
October 23, 2003, 03:18 AM
There is gunplay in the movie but from some surviving troops. The deleted scenes section of the DVD offers an alternative ending where the young girl carries a handgun.

Couldnt help thinking that the director opted to delete that scene cause it might panic the government by giving brits the idea that they have a life worth defending in such a scenario. :rolleyes:

roscoe
October 23, 2003, 04:26 AM
Cool movie - those angry infected folk remind me why a big bullet is good.

starfuryzeta
October 23, 2003, 08:38 AM
I watched it, but thought it was about 30 minutes too long. I left seeing it feeling kinda *eh* about it. Nothing spectacular or "horrific" about it. Definitely wasn't that scary. It was more like a Resident Evil (video game, not movie) survival horror.

NewShooter78
October 23, 2003, 08:50 AM
I bought the DVD on Tues. It wasn't as scary as all the people I know said it was, but then again I love horror movies, and it takes a lot to scare me. Being that it was England, I didn't have the same reaction as watching Sign (that being, where are all the guns?). It did make me want to buy a couple of hundred more rounds of ammo though. :D

Deadman
October 23, 2003, 09:20 AM
By the way there's apparently a Dawn of the Dead remake - http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/dawnofthedead/

NIGHTWATCH
October 23, 2003, 10:56 AM
It wasnt scary in the traditional American horror sort of way, but a large part of what made this film scary was the sense of isolation in an entire city. And the sense that they would/could be attacked (the infected move violently fast) at anytime.

The soundtrack was right on, using music from the movie "TRAFFIC". It added to the surreal. I would agree that it is not an action movie (ASH DONT LIVE HERE). But it did creep me out because it is not far fetched. In the "making of" the film segment there are nothing but scientists talking about how this is not a matter of if, but when (mad cow had a little to do with this opinion I think). I have to admit, I think the fact that the main characters had no guns in the early part of the flic did freak me the most. :D LOL!

NewShooter78
October 23, 2003, 11:05 AM
Deadman,
I love the Romero zombie movies. That trailer looks pretty good. And in the Dead movies, there are always plenty of guns, and lots of gunplay. :D

George Hill
October 23, 2003, 12:18 PM
Gee... I liked GHOSTS OF MARS and RESIDENT EVIL...
:barf:

Mike Irwin
October 23, 2003, 12:57 PM
Read "The Stand" by Stephen King.

George Hill
October 23, 2003, 01:38 PM
One of King's best books.

Keith
October 23, 2003, 01:57 PM
I saw this the other day and I couldn't get past the politically correct stupidity of the characters.

You're in London, alone, being stalked by people who can infect you with a single drop of blood. So.... instead of going down to Holland and Holland and helping yourself to a fine double rifle, or to the nearest police or army arsenal, you pick up a machete and a baseball bat!

And they don't even seem to see a gun as any sort of alternative (well, they're illegal...), no... they MUST drive several hundred miles to the army, because the army has guns and can protect them!

Stupid, bad, stupid movie!

Keith

Wedge
October 23, 2003, 04:43 PM
A few of my friend's anti-gun friends went and saw the movie when it came out and said they were freaked out. So I went and saw the movie. I was not scared or freaked out, but then again I don't have to depend on others to protect me like they do.

Mark Tyson
October 23, 2003, 06:38 PM
You're in London, alone, being stalked by people who can infect you with a single drop of blood. So.... instead of going down to Holland and Holland and helping yourself to a fine double rifle, or to the nearest police or army arsenal, you pick up a machete and a baseball bat!

The guy woke up from a coma after the chaos had passed. The few available firearms would probably already have been looted or taken by the military when they evacuated.

TheeBadOne
October 23, 2003, 06:48 PM
OMEGA MAN wav

http://datacore.sciflicks.com/the_omega_man/sounds/the_omega_man_almost_dark.wav

Keith
October 23, 2003, 06:58 PM
The guy woke up from a coma after the chaos had passed. The few available firearms would probably already have been looted or taken by the military when they evacuated.

The military would have looted the police stations and gun shops? Why? Didn't they have better things to do?

Keith

Mark Tyson
October 23, 2003, 07:02 PM
I meant they would have taken their own weapons when they left.

Keith
October 23, 2003, 07:04 PM
Good, then I can stop by Holland and Holland and get a top grade zombie rifle and have a ball!

Keith

wingnutx
October 23, 2003, 07:06 PM
Infected people didn't use weapons, so there should have been some for the survivors to dig up.

They did have a couple of bombs in the beginning. Better than nothing :)

willyjixx
October 23, 2003, 07:54 PM
The military would have looted the police stations and gun shops? Why? Didn't they have better things to do?

wait a minute i thought that was in england not California???

Futo Inu
October 23, 2003, 08:16 PM
"What makes this film so scary to me was that it can happen. No fiction here."

Say what? Bio-engineers have made a real virus that can turn people into zombies? Or WTH are you talking about? :) Thank you.

CWL
October 23, 2003, 08:35 PM
Just saw it, great movie. Not 'horrifying', but great nonetheless. It is just a movie afterall and needs to run thru the story.

Take the attitudes of the people with a grain of salt, these people aren't necessarily from a gun culture. -It doesn't automatically come to mind, remember, most police don't even carry in London. They did do well with molotovs and edged violence...

I don't even think these people knew how to drive because they were London-towners and had to walk until Frank and his daughter took them out of the city.

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, the "zombies" aren't really zombies (undead) but just people who have been infected with a man-made virus called rage which turns people into unthinking psychopaths.

Mr. Bombastic
October 23, 2003, 09:19 PM
If that stuff really started going on, there would be guns and armed people all over the place. The government would be trying to round up and quarantine people, riots would be happening, bombs exploding, gun battles, everything.

Living near water, I would head for the nearest river/ocean, get on a boat and go to France. Sometimes, you have to make sacrifices. ;)

Mark Tyson
October 23, 2003, 09:29 PM
I would head for the nearest river/ocean, get on a boat and go to France

France? I'll take my chances with the zombies.

Mr. Bombastic
October 23, 2003, 09:35 PM
I was originally thinking Spain would be nice, but there'd have to be supplies on the boat to make that trip. :)

CWL
October 23, 2003, 11:07 PM
If that stuff really started going on, there would be guns and armed people all over the place. The government would be trying to round up and quarantine people, riots would be happening, bombs exploding, gun battles, everything.

All that stuff happened in the prior 28 days before the guy woke up. There are plenty of references as well as personal narration that this happened by the survivors/soldiers.

NIGHTWATCH
October 24, 2003, 03:27 AM
I would have loved to see that battle in the film. :evil:

RTFM
October 24, 2003, 10:00 AM
I'd say it $ucked, but using that word got me banned as a troll in $igforum.
It was an OK movie. Never really went anywhere for me.
Really freaked out my wife while I just watched it, go figure.

RTFM

Iain
October 24, 2003, 10:48 AM
As a Brit what freaked me out the most was the scenes of a completely deserted London, especially Waterloo Bridge. Last time I was on Waterloo was at New Year 02/03, ten of thousands of people there - and for all you Brit bashers, there was precisely no trouble.

Mr. Bombastic
October 24, 2003, 12:01 PM
All that stuff happened in the prior 28 days before the guy woke up. There are plenty of references as well as personal narration that this happened by the survivors/soldiers.

Oh, I didn't know that. The movie came out here a couple of years ago, I've got a bad memory.

It would have been nice to see that part in more depth though. They did the same thing in Resident Evil, Milla wakes up and the city is destroyed. That would have been great to see!

Hopefully Half Life 2 will have all that great stuff. :D

jason10mm
October 24, 2003, 01:45 PM
I thought it was decent, "Cabin Fever" is a much better virus movie though. I just didn't like how quickly the virus acted, I would have liked a more insidious onset. I also don't know why the infected wouldn't attack each other, this virus ought to be pretty self-limiting. How could it spread? The on-set time is so short no one exposed could make it over a bridge, much less overseas. I do think a blood-splattering bat is a poor choice as a weapon, I'd rather have a spear with a cross-bar to hold them off till they died.

BTW, they are making a "Resident Evil 2", so there may still be some Raccoon City destruction yet!

Keith
October 24, 2003, 01:56 PM
There's another thing in the film that bothered me - why didn't the survivors seek out some old castle or fortess instead of hiding in houses and apartments? You can't throw a rock in England without hitting some guy in a medieval uniform standing in front of an old keep or castle.
Drive a truck full of Scotch and Spam into the Tower of London, lock the door and you're good for a year! Any building that requires seige engines to gain entry ought to keep out a pack of drooling zombies, doncha think?

Keith

keederdag
October 24, 2003, 02:28 PM
The Brits make great horror flicks; I asked Mr Bomb the same question about guns after I saw it. I think in the situation of the particular survivors, it wasnt like they felt real comfy stroling around looking for weapons; I think they kinda just grabbed what they could get. The guns and ammo avail would probably have been taken or used up after 28 days of mayhem. Remeber, most other survivors had evacuated allready; these were the people with the reasorces. Most people would look to the Gov. for help if this situation took place. Maybe you or I would not, but most would. I loved it, great flick!

And I'd still love to have a civi L-85/SA-80. I played with one once, and thought is was pretty slick, aside from the propaganda.:D

Iain
October 24, 2003, 03:53 PM
you guys need to see 'Dog Soldiers' for good British comedy/horror.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0280609/

Keith
October 24, 2003, 04:07 PM
I really liked Dog Soldiers! The characters at least acted in a manner that made some semblance of common sense - they barricaded themselves in a house with some guns.

Even in a silly format like a horror flick the characters need to act in ways that make some sort of sense or I just can't enjoy it. I hate those flicks where they do stupid things - "Hey, we're all trapped inside a dark old mansion with a bunch of maniacal killing machines - so, let's separate and blunder around in the dark alone and without weapons..."

And that's the problem with 28 days - their actions made no sense! They made no attempt to find weapons, or to find a place that they could defend (a castle, a jail, a bank, an old fort). They made no attempt to find a safe vehicle - the streets are littered with old cars and trucks, so why not find an armored bank truck or something?
Even when the guy does get a weapon near the end, he throws it away!!! And then drives away in a cab, instead of one of those big armored vehicles parked all around.

Stupid movie...

Keith

willyjixx
October 24, 2003, 04:48 PM
think of the people who direct movies. very well off (spike lee was the exception) uninformed people who have private security.

they have no common sense when reffering to self defense an how to arm themselves. so how would they direct a movie along the lines of that.

RTFM
October 24, 2003, 06:04 PM
they have no common sense when reffering to self defense an how to arm themselves. so how would they direct a movie along the lines of that.

That's why heat ROCKED, thanks to the help of Andy McNab, IMHO.

RTFM

NIGHTWATCH
October 24, 2003, 06:19 PM
This is true. You just dont see responsable civilian gun ownership in the movies on a mass scale. You dont see the bigger angle on the second amendments purpose. What you do see in the movies is a portrayed minority that has guns laying around the house that just might go off by themselves and kill some poor innocent victim. :barf:

I would really like to see a film that depicts the sufferings of gun owners by way of discrimination, with the same emotion and stirred anger as other people have suffered as a result of living their chosen freedom. Wont hold my breath though, not until hollywood elites see the light, which could be a long time. :(

A nice film on the destruction of a dozen lives or so by the ATF might be a good start. You know, that same kinda wailing realization that comes with an invasion of tyranny. Something Oprah might showcase seeing that it would involve alot of tears. :barf:

In the meantime, horror films help me to escape. Headshots are a topic that is admired. :D

Iain
October 24, 2003, 07:32 PM
Keith- you also got to be loving the scouser who boxed the werewolf and the guy who was running away from the werewolves and impaled himself on a tree. ah, the things we Brits find to laugh at.

Kaxter
October 24, 2003, 08:47 PM
I loved 28 days later, it is actually one of my favorite movies.

Also, Dog Soldiers is an awesome flick, go rent it.

keederdag
October 24, 2003, 09:49 PM
Rented 28 days for tonight; got to see it again. Ive seen Dog Soldiers too many times, I own it. Personally, I think these are two of the best horror flicks out lately. You guy's in the UK just keep e'm comin.:D

jercamp45
October 24, 2003, 10:07 PM
I watch those kinda flicks at home, so I can be surrounded by my friends that throw bullets!
Regarding the comment of going to France.....personally I would find it more enjoyable to hunt French Zombies than British one. Something very appealing about it.......I would make every effort to find the appropriate arsenal before departing...so I can storm the beach in a large expensive boat! Having to scrounge for firearms is not high on my list, perhaps why I seldom travel overseas anymore.....I like having my totable armory nearby!
Jercamp45

keederdag
October 24, 2003, 10:17 PM
well if you went to France you would'nt find any aggresive Zombies; and it would be embarassing having them plead for mercy at your feet. You could not even go to the military if you were French, as they would have allready surendered to the Zombies. I think French troops are issued the White Flag as their main piece of equiptment. They practice with it under all conditions; you know kneeling, sitting, standing, prone....all very important positions of surrender:D

CWL
October 24, 2003, 10:51 PM
Actually, the French make great and brave soldiers, they just have had 200 years of lousy leadership. Come to think of it, Napoleon was an Italian...

Boondock Saint
October 25, 2003, 12:14 AM
ahhh 28 days later... great movie in my opinion.I would have gotten mad about them not using guns but think about it, its illegal to have them so they're hard to get normally and everyones dead so i dont think you're gonna find a dealer very easily. And not to mention when they're showing all the news things you would realise its not just england thats infected, i think if the infected can get to new york holland wouldnt be too hard to get to.Besides that matter dog soldiers is extremely funny.

longeyes
October 25, 2003, 02:47 PM
Mucho ado about nothing. The film critics liked it because a) it was
shot on video for a "low budget" (not that low really) and b) much of
it was played out in a "firearms-free zone." Dramatically the story
was slack and the underlying concept lacked any real originality. Night
of the Living Dead still rules this genre.

ChickenHawk
October 25, 2003, 02:54 PM
I'm with longeyes. We watched the DVD last night. It had it's moments, but for the most part it lacked any real excitement.

Also, it bugs the heck out of me when characters in horror flicks do stuff that you know no one would ever do in reality. i.e. in this movie why did they insist on campfires, flashlights and the like after a candle attracted infected people earlier.

And would YOU have gone into that diner at the gas stop and explored? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

RCReecer
October 25, 2003, 03:45 PM
I watched the movie over the 4th of July when it was still in the theaters. I went with my wife and a lady friend. I enjoyed the movie, but the ladies were a little speechless afterward. My wife doesn't like the "low-buck" look of the movie, and the other actually enjoyed it. It was either 28 Days Later or some chick-flick, and somehow I won....I think it's safe to say that it won't happen again though.:uhoh:

Blueduck
October 25, 2003, 05:56 PM
Didn't come to local theaters so last night was my first chance to watch it...Big thumbs up!:D Maybe the last horror film I was really looking forward to seeing being the horrid "House of a 1,000 Corpeses":barf: made me view it in a kinder gentler light though.

It's not Citizen Kane or anything but the main criticisims didn't bother me a bit...

Gun thing: It's England, and starts 4 weeks after the few goodies even there nowdays would have been swooped up.

Characters doing dumb stuff: Takes mega-talent to do good horror films without this. "Ah zombies on the rampage.. down to my fully stocked secure shelter to lay low for 60 days till they starve" would make for a pretty boring film. Besides lets be honest. We have "DO NOT EAT" written on silica gel packs used for shipping for a reason. On average 7 people a year accidently swallow thier toothbrush. After the Los Angeles earthquake during the World Series people were trying to "jump" sections of fallen freeway in thier cars so they would not be late. Now tell me how "unrealistic" the people in the films actions were ;)

ChickenHawk
October 25, 2003, 06:19 PM
LOL! :D

OK, Blueduck. You got me!

I'm changing my opinion to, "It could happen." :p

Regards,
ChickenHawk

kernal_panic
October 25, 2003, 08:40 PM
it could very well happen but not jump contenants. the infection takes hold far too fast. i think even here in gun crazed america i think we would be looking at being down to a few hundred thousand left. mostly the people in easily defenseable and sparsly populated areas.

George Hill
October 25, 2003, 09:14 PM
In France, the Zombies would just ignore you out of self-righteous indignation... just as long as you don't touch their cheese.
Then they would just surrender.

I just watched this flick. I liked it. It's pretty good. But it did leave a lot to be desired.
I liked a lot of the direction and imagery. But it was the script that I didn't like. The whole thing with the military being the badguys... I've seen that way too often in B movies to appreciate it.
"Oh, I got a great idea for the movie! Let's have an army guy with a hand full of troops - and they are mad as hatters!"
I'm sure this may have been a chilling concept in England... but it's been played out to death here in the US.

I like The Stand a lot better. I wish they made that into a movie - let me restate that - I wish they remade that crappy campy made for TV mini series into a real movie.

Wait a second. No... I'm changing that. I wish Hollywood and all the movie makers around the world would STOP remaking what as already been done before - and come up with some thing ORIGINAL.
There are SO MANY good books out there that would make FANTASTIC movies - so there is no use recycling the 10 dozen worn out scripts.
Stephen King's The Gunslinger would make a great flick.

I'd like to see a movie on Dean Coontz "Seize The Night"... that would be awesome. Let's try other writers besides King. Stephen King really isn't that good. He is prolific and has a lot of great ideas, but I have yet to read one other than Green Mile that the guy actually writes a decent ending for. His ending are universally pathetic after he has taken the time to create an interesting premis and characters you can get into. Case in point: Dreamcatcher. Rent it if you want - but don't say I didn't warn you.

I love a good horror flick... and this one was pretty good... but there are much better posibilities.

HP Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness would make a killer movie.

keederdag
October 25, 2003, 10:04 PM
Seize the night and Fear Nothing are my two favorite Koontz Books. I have them all. I like king, but he's the sort of horror writer, where the good guy is allways incompetent, and more likely to shoot himself than the monster. The Koontz Books would be hard to translate into movies. Talking about a lot of internal diolog that is very important to the plot. You want to see a truly bad Zombie flick, go see House of the Dead. Even if you hated 28 days; you will appreciate it after House.:cuss:

ChickenHawk
October 25, 2003, 11:13 PM
Koontz! I think I've read every one of his books.

Mr. Murder is still my favorite.

ChickenHawk

If you enjoyed reading about "28 Days Later..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!