The infamous M1 Garand "ping" sound

PDA

superpunchy
July 11, 2009, 08:03 PM
Is there a way to get rid of the annoying "ping" sound that the M1 Garand makes whenever it fires the last shot and the clip is ejected? Has anyone ever made such a modification or know of someone who has? If so how did they do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "The infamous M1 Garand "ping" sound" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cowhide1
July 11, 2009, 08:07 PM
ANNOYING??? Its a freaking symphony!!! ( I would not be saying that if I were in a foxhole with the bad guy 10 feet from me) but I love it!

General Geoff
July 11, 2009, 08:08 PM
you think that's annoying?? I think most people around here love it :D

To eliminate that sound, you have to dampen the impact between metal pieces, the easiest and most reliably functioning way to do this would probably be to rubber-coat the en bloc clips, at least from the outside surfaces. I'm sure you'll get better ideas from other folks who actually own Garands, though..

smee781
July 11, 2009, 08:10 PM
How dare you! That is one of the best sounds in the world.:mad:

Heck
July 11, 2009, 08:16 PM
I love the sound when i hear it in the movies but have never heard it when shooting with hearing protection.

CapnMac
July 11, 2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah, there's a very reliable way.

Fire seven rounds then hit the release, you'll get a loose round and the en-bloc clip too, which will make more of a "clatter" sound.

jeremy1391
July 11, 2009, 08:32 PM
that is a perty sound :)
The way soldiers overcame letting the enemy know they were reloading they kept a few empty enblocs in a cargo pocket and would ping em off the receiver so Japanese and german soldiers would use the lull in firing to react to the Americans to find that ol' G.I. Joe had rounds left in his rifle :)

briansmithwins
July 11, 2009, 09:14 PM
Run a few dozen clips thru the Garand w/o hearing protection.

You won't hear the 'ping' anymore.

BSW

61chalk
July 11, 2009, 09:46 PM
I Love that ping, even with ear plugs in it sounds great...I seen a guy here on THR that actually made a wind chime out of them!!!!

ar10
July 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
Simple:
shoot one round at a time. :D

WNTFW
July 11, 2009, 10:09 PM
A few years back my nephew saw my Garand and knew what it was. I asked my sister if it was OK to show my nephew the Garand.
After the clip ejected he said "Oh that is what makes that sound". After questioning how he knew the Garand & how it made "that sound"; it was from playing video games.
Don't know on the ping. I won't give you the Unamerican lecture.

AnthonyC.
July 11, 2009, 10:11 PM
I am about to buy an M1 garand just so I can hear the ping! At the range that I go to, when you hear the ping, everyone looks around to see who has the garand, and then everyone wants one!

Why the heck would you buy a garand if you dont like the famous "ping" at the end?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

TexasPatriot.308
July 11, 2009, 10:15 PM
the ping of the M1 clip/mag, the ineffectiveness of the M16 in combat. both had good and bad points. the M1 had a deadly manstopper, the M16, the .223 round that would not stop an enemy soldier and still wont that is hopped up on adrenalin, drugs or religion. I served in '72 & 73, I was lucky to get my hands on a M14 and if I didnt I prayed to get a hold of an AK. too bad politics still keep the anemic 5.56 as our soldiers lifeline.

Nugilum
July 11, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hold on, I need to fix your OP...

The famous M1 Garand "ping" sound

There we go. :evil:

Tribute to the Ping! (link) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9d01zAmnMY)

ADKWOODSMAN
July 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
Love it!!!

danweasel
July 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
You could sell it. I might know a guy who could give you $300-$350 depending on how annoying the ping is.

Ha!

Rosstradamus
July 11, 2009, 10:29 PM
Get a Holbrook Thumb Saver, which replaces the op rod catch. It took me just a few minutes to install, and I'm not especially mechanical. Once in place, the bolt no longer flies forward when you insert a clip. It also prevents the clip from automatically shooting out after the last round is fired and making that "Ping!" sound. The Thumb Saver lets you load single rounds too. You can switch it back out and return your M1 to normal in another few minutes. $45 from Mr. Holbrook (Google him). He has had ads in Shotgun News for years.

Colosseum
July 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
I love that sound.

When I fired my first full en-bloc clip through my CMP M1 and heard the ping for the first time, it made me really happy. :P

Uncle Mike
July 11, 2009, 10:40 PM
Somebody make it a ringtone....:D

:D

Mandolin
July 11, 2009, 10:42 PM
How is the "ping" bad? In combat, you've already fired 8 loud rounds, thus guiving away your position. then, Ifthe ping is heard by a german, he still has to deal with your buddies. I realy doubt that the ping is a liabilitiy in combat.

Nugilum
July 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
Soldiers used to carry extra clips with them. In a firefight, they would "throw" that extra clip down, and nail the enemy when he pops his head up.

SlamFire1
July 11, 2009, 11:29 PM
Soldiers used to carry extra clips with them. In a firefight, they would "throw" that extra clip down, and nail the enemy when he pops his head up.

I asked the last of the Gun Club’s WWII vets, Sammi, a guy who was second wave on Okinawa and Iwo Jima invasion about enemy soldiers reacting to the “ping”.

My recollection is not exact, but his physical reaction was as though this was a ridiculous idea brought about by someone who had never been in combat. His verbal reaction was “ah, no”.

I believe combat is very noisy. There are lots of people around. And it was not like some “Mano e Mano” mythological Western gunfight. Nor apparently is it like an on line video game where you will be reborn in the spawning point. In real life, one death is all you get. You jump out and expose yourself based on a "ping", there are likely 20 guys in that position with loaded guns. And once visible, there are lots of hidden eyes with hidden guns that have just found you.

Also, if someone is close enough to hear the ping, they are close enough to roll a grenade on you. Without having to leave the safety of their fox hole.

elktrout
July 11, 2009, 11:47 PM
Recently, I was shooting my Garand off the bench next to my brother-in-law, who knew little of Garands. When the enbloc ejected and "pinged", he asked "What was that?". When I told how the gun functioned by ejecting the enbloc, he replied, "that thing is neat!".

I second that.

Maverick223
July 12, 2009, 12:02 AM
I second that.I third that...many a M1 has been bought due to the sound, but I doubt many have sold because of it. The M14 would be a solution to the glorious "ping", but it still isn't a Garand. :D

chrissmallwood
July 12, 2009, 12:26 AM
The only way I know of to do it is to install a Holbrook Thumbsaver Device. It replaces the op rod catch and when inserting a clip requires you to pull back on the op rod handle to release the bolt. It also eliminates the auto clip ejection feature, to release the clip you hit the side eject button.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
You could sell it. I might know a guy who could give you $300-$350 depending on how annoying the ping is.

Don't let that guy rip you off! I'll give you $375. :p

Maverick223
July 12, 2009, 12:44 AM
Don't let that guy rip you off! I'll give you $375.I'll give $400 if it isn't too bad...and $450 if it is a really bad "ping". :neener:

rondog
July 12, 2009, 02:02 AM
Quote:

I asked the last of the Gun Club’s WWII vets, Sammi, a guy who was second wave on Okinawa and Iwo Jima invasion about enemy soldiers reacting to the “ping”.

My recollection is not exact, but his physical reaction was as though this was a ridiculous idea brought about by someone who had never been in combat. His verbal reaction was “ah, no”.

I believe combat is very noisy. There are lots of people around. And it was not like some “Mano e Mano” mythological Western gunfight. Nor apparently is it like an on line video game where you will be reborn in the spawning point. In real life, one death is all you get. You jump out and expose yourself based on a "ping", there are likely 20 guys in that position with loaded guns. And once visible, there are lots of hidden eyes with hidden guns that have just found you.

Also, if someone is close enough to hear the ping, they are close enough to roll a grenade on you. Without having to leave the safety of their fox hole.

Exactly MY opinion too. It's a legend, no basis in fact. Bravo Sierra. With all the large-caliber rifles blasting everywhere, who's gonna hear the "ping"? Plus all the other GI's with loaded rifles, the distance involved between combatants, the grenade thing, etc. Even if there WAS only one GI, and someone heard his ping and started to rush him, it doesn't take that long to reload an M1.

HorseSoldier
July 12, 2009, 03:35 AM
+1 on the mythology angle.

ar10
July 12, 2009, 09:25 AM
The only way I know of to do it is to install a Holbrook Thumbsaver Device. It replaces the op rod catch and when inserting a clip requires you to pull back on the op rod handle to release the bolt. It also eliminates the auto clip ejection feature, to release the clip you hit the side eject button.

But that's one of the main features of the M1. It only takes one time for a shooter to suffer from the "M1 thumb" and after that they will forever remember how to operate the M1. Besides that "ping" noise is telling the shooter that the rifle is empty any they need to put another clip in. I love watching shooters firing AR type rifles firing all their rounds then trying to fire the empty mag.

elktrout
July 12, 2009, 10:07 AM
I have never had the chance to ask a veteran about the ping legend discussed here. But yesterday, I watched Saving Private Ryan again (one of my favorites). In scenes where Spielberg recreated the noise level of multiple rifles shooting, you could not hear the ping even though you could see the enbloc ejecting.

briansmithwins
July 12, 2009, 10:39 AM
I love watching shooters firing AR type rifles firing all their rounds then trying to fire the empty mag.

That's funny, the AR has a distinct sound when the bolt locks back. When I hear that I know 'Time for another mag.'

Of course, with a 30 round mag I don't run dry nearly as often as I would with a Garand and I can top off if I'm moving or behind cover, but that's another thread. BSW

amd6547
July 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
The first time I heard about the clip ping was from my Father...a WWII vet who fought at the battle of Falaise Gap, and on through Germany.

Boba Fett
July 12, 2009, 01:38 PM
annoying "ping" sound that the M1 Garand makes whenever it fires the last shot and the clip is ejected?

Annoying!??? :cuss:

Like cowhide said, it's like a symphony!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waQBL5d2rQA - it sounds good even in slow mo :cool:

rondog
July 12, 2009, 01:46 PM
The first time I heard about the clip ping was from my Father...a WWII vet who fought at the battle of Falaise Gap, and on through Germany.

What did he say about the legend of the "ping" causing the enemy to charge the now "unarmed" GI's?

And I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've never had my bolt release when I put in a new clip. It'll move just a tad, but doesn't "release" and slam on my thumb. I always have to slap the op rod with my palm to strip a round and drive it into battery.

Walkalong
July 12, 2009, 01:48 PM
The "ping" is cool, unlike the "sproing" of an AR with a fixed stock. :)

Prince Yamato
July 12, 2009, 03:04 PM
OK, can somebody answer the OP's question. How does one get rid of the ping? Yes, you all love the ping. He does not. Pretend you wanted to be "tactical". How would you get rid of the ping?

briansmithwins
July 12, 2009, 03:24 PM
OK, can somebody answer the OP's question. How does one get rid of the ping? Yes, you all love the ping. He does not. Pretend you wanted to be "tactical". How would you get rid of the ping?

Don't use a Garand. It's as much a part of the design as the gas system is. BSW

61chalk
July 12, 2009, 03:48 PM
"Can someone answer the OP's question..." they did, read all the posts an you'll find it.

I watched Saving Private Ryan, an several times I did hear the enbloc ping....an then seen them showing a G.I. reload an slap the OP rod...also when you push the loaded enbloc down, keep downward pressure down on it an the bolt won't go all the way forward, what can happen is some release a little pressure an don't flip their thumb out of the way quick enough.....I did notice on some scenes from Saving Private Ryan that there was no recoil at all when they fired multiple shots....but of course they were blanks!

krs
July 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
Is there a way to get rid of the annoying "ping" sound that the M1 Garand makes whenever it fires the last shot and the clip is ejected? Has anyone ever made such a modification or know of someone who has? If so how did they do it?

OK, can somebody answer the OP's question. How does one get rid of the ping?

You have to use the rubber enbloc clips. The army developed them for Korea, right toward the end so they didn't get issued for long. They were made of hard rubber like old Colt pistol grips.

Cheaper than Dirt had some of them, but I heard they ran out about a year ago with no restock, but somebody's GOT to carry them, so get with google and find you some if that beautiful sound really bothers you..

chrissmallwood
July 12, 2009, 05:02 PM
I would suggest getting the Holbrook Device. It will be alot easier to get than searching for the rubber En-Bloc clips and it will also prevent the auto clip ejection. If later on he decides he wants to hear the "ping" then all he will have to do is reinstall the GI op rod catch.

Heres a link that has the contact information for the gentlemen making them.
http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/07/letter_re_m1_garand_en_bloc_cl.html

Shung
July 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
Blasphemy !!!

dmazur
July 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
Another +1 for the Holbrook Device.

It took me a little while to get used to it, but I prefer it to the original action now.

Very, very easy to load 2 rounds into a partially-inserted clip, then press it down until it clicks. No need for modified clips to load 2 rounds (or resort to "crossed rounds" tricks...)

Also easy to catch the empty clip when ejecting, which is better than looking for them in the tall grass.

Unless you are using the Garand in combat conditions, I can't see the delay associated with the Holbrook Device as causing any hardship. :)

Maverick223
July 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
Don't use a Garand. It's as much a part of the design as the gas system is.Great idea...lets modify the M1 for DI operation, I mean DI is better right? :neener:

JMusic
July 12, 2009, 05:59 PM
My fathers outfit would use that to lure them in with that ping sound Its a grace from God when a squad is fighting, Or trade it for an M1A1 two of the most devistating weapons ever invented,

Jim

ar10
July 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
That's funny, the AR has a distinct sound when the bolt locks back. When I hear that I know 'Time for another mag.'

Let me guess, one or two shooters. Probably 90% of our shooters use AR or AK type rifles. The must suffer from CRS. :confused:
Or CHS or CSS.

Float Pilot
July 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
My dad who fought in the Pacific and later in Korea / early Vietnam still yells because he is half deaf.

I asked him about the ping once and he yelled back that after a few seconds of a knock- down drag-out firefight with the Japanese you could not hear the guy next to you yelling, much less the ping.

Then I asked about the enemy seeing the clip flying out.

He then pointed out that back then they used a multi weapon type layer defense arraigment. He said that while you and your buddy might have M1 Garands in your night foxhole, there were other guys covering you with their rifles and somebody else with a BAR. Then there was a belt fed 30 caliber MG covering all of that. Then the higher ranking Sgts and Junior Officers with Thompson SMGs (he said they had some shotguns too) who did point protection at various points. Then throw in a few radio guys, jeep drivers, message runners and likewise who had 30 cal carbines.

He explained that having the enemy charge them in the jungles / high grass of the Pacific Island area was actually a much better way to inflict high enemy casulties, as compared to trading sniper shots all day long.

feedthehogs
July 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
Youth is wasted on the young.........

SharpsDressedMan
July 12, 2009, 08:13 PM
If the enemy can hear your "ping", you are too close. Get out your pistol as you are now at pistol distances........try to stay fruther away from the enemy........

Vern Humphrey
July 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
The way soldiers overcame letting the enemy know they were reloading they kept a few empty enblocs in a cargo pocket and would ping em off the receiver so Japanese and german soldiers would use the lull in firing to react to the Americans to find that ol' G.I. Joe had rounds left in his rifle
In all my time in the Army (and I trained on the M1 and used one in combat) I never heard that.

Consider this -- American soldiers don't come in ones. They come in squads, platoons and companies. When one soldier runs dry, that don't mean all his buddies have run dry.

Next, lie down outside of grenade range from me and let me shoot over you. Get up and charge when you hear the ping! -- you won't make it to your knees before I have a fresh clip in the rifle.

Maverick223
July 12, 2009, 11:05 PM
In all my time in the Army (and I trained on the M1 and used one in combat) I never heard that.I have heard of it from a couple people (that served in WWII) and believe it to be true, BUT I don't believe it to be common practice nor do I believe it was effective do to your points above. :)

lefteyedom
July 13, 2009, 05:09 AM
If the ping of your garand enbloc is a problem,,,, turn the sound down on your game controller

ar10
July 13, 2009, 08:18 AM
In all my time in the Army (and I trained on the M1 and used one in combat) I never heard that.

I was in the USMC and trained and used the M1 in combat, (until they issued us the M14). I probably heard the "ping" as well but back then they didn't issue ear protection. All we cared about was hitting the big red spot at 500yds.

uvausmc
July 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
everytime a M1's enbloc ejects and "pings," an angel gets its wings.

JMusic
July 13, 2009, 02:54 PM
I just realized we talk generally about combat. But each op is slightly different. There may be times when the Ping don't matter, but other times when it could affect the enenmy responce plus shooters close enough hear can keep track how many rifles are ready.

Combat and raids are complicated. I have been in quite a few and not once did we not debief and learn.

Jim

mp5a3
July 13, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've always loved the ping even before I knew what it was. That's actually one of the reasons I've always wanted one. My uncle has a few he bought back in the 80's for next to nothing. He's going to let me borrow one. He actually has almost 100 guns. Most WW1 and WW2 rifles. I love having a cool, gun nut relative.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. Watching all the WW2 movies didn't help, not to mention Gran Torino.

Dark Skies
July 13, 2009, 03:04 PM
I wish we could own M1 Garands here - I'd be happy to take that 'annoying' ping sound off you.

Uncle Mike
July 13, 2009, 03:22 PM
How does one get rid of the ping?

Ear plugs and or therapy-

Col. Plink
July 13, 2009, 04:03 PM
Well, I guess there may be valid reasons to avoid the sonorous 'ping!' of an 8-round, 150-grain, en bloc clip, though I cannot think of any. In fact it seems any potential enemy willing to make a move based on that sound doesn't really know just how fast another can be shoved in. In fact, I'm seeing the wisdom now in en bloc and stripper clips, though they may have less capacity than banana mags: you will never have to take the time to reload or even top-off a magazine if using en bloc or stripper clips. If you're carrying enough ammo, it's already all ready. The rifle can always be reloaded just as fast, every time (as fast as you can change a bigger magazine, but never have to reload that magazine).

I drove from Austin to Dallas to Anniston, AL and back as far as Vicksburg, MS in one day last week to get my Garand and ammo, and I took the first opportunity to rattle off a clip and hear that sound (I'd say it's more of a 'clang!', but it's all academic at that point...:D ) Joining a rifle club this week just so I can hear that sound of freedom ringing through the air as much as possible!

For those interested, at the CMP I found a field grade SA Garand ser# 5,xxx,xxx in pretty darn good shape, '55 vintage, shoots on at 100yds without adjustment. The guys at the south CMP are gold in my book!

Vern Humphrey
July 13, 2009, 04:15 PM
My Garand is an H&R, made about the same time.

Actually,the en bloc clip was a weakness in the Garand, but that has nothing to do with tactics. The complicated parts arraingement needed to make the en bloc clip work were difficult to manufacture. As a result, we had only one satisfactory commercial supplier during WWII, Winchester.

I love the Garand, but it would have been a better rifle with a sheet metal magazine.

Publius1688
July 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
Sell it to me!
The legend about Japs springing up and charging when they heard the ping is just that---a legend

61chalk
July 13, 2009, 08:45 PM
Col. Plink...I read, can't remember which web site.. They took a expert with a M14 an a expert with a Garand....fire for 2 min. straight as much as you can at a 10" circle at 200 yds.. After 2 min. they had fired almost the same amount, an the Garand guy had more hits....hard to believe, he must be a FAST reloader on that Garand!!!!

Maverick223
July 13, 2009, 08:54 PM
61, as much respect for the M1 Garand as I have, I have a hard time believing that the test didn't have more to do with the "expert's" individual skill level...in short the M1 "expert" was the better shooter. :)

George757
July 14, 2009, 10:07 AM
[ Is there a way to get rid of the annoying "ping" sound that the M1 Garand makes...]
Try this:
(1) Remove your ear protection
(2) Fire 8 rds
(3) If you can still hear the "ping" (or anything else), repeat as necessary

FLNT4EVR
July 14, 2009, 11:46 AM
If someone finds the "ping" that annoying perhaps they should be shooting a bolt action. A Mauser, or maybe a Nagant would be more to his likeing.

Frandy
July 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
Please sing to the tune of There is Nothing Like a Dame (with apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein):

. . .
Lots of things in life are beautiful, but brother,
There is one particular thing that is nothin' whatsoever
In any way, shape or form like any other.

There is nothin' like a ping,
Nothin' in the world,
There is nothin' you can sing
That is anythin' like a ping!

Nothin' else was built the same,
Nothin' in the world
As the grey and useful thing
With that glorious sound of "ping"! :evil:

ThePunisher'sArmory
July 14, 2009, 01:52 PM
I was reading an article about the garand the other day and it had said that during the war the military tried using a composite plastic en bloc mag. This however did not work or catch on. So unless your fighting an enemy that knows that this sound means youre "empty" dont worry about it. Its a beautiful sound that goes with the gun. Ask any WWII or Korean war vet. Also if this sound is just too much for you to handle then by all means sell the garand to me ive been looking for one for a long time.:D

ThePunisher'sArmory
July 14, 2009, 01:59 PM
.[QUOTE]Oh yea, I almost forgot. Watching all the WW2 movies didn't help, not to mention Gran Torino/QUOTE] not to change subject but one of the best movies ever made, Grand Torino.

stchman
July 14, 2009, 02:04 PM
Yes, if the Garand ping is so annoying he/she can just give me the offensive rifle.

GarandOwner
July 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
I heard that every time a Garand "pings" an angel gets its wings :D

highorder
July 14, 2009, 02:31 PM
All that aside, someone tell me more about these experimental plastic clips?...

CZguy
July 14, 2009, 05:08 PM
I heard that every time a Garand "pings" an angel gets its wings

I had always assumed that...........but its nice to have it verified. :D

SlamFire1
July 14, 2009, 06:54 PM
I heard that every time a Garand "pings" an angel gets its wings

I had always assumed that...........but its nice to have it verified.

The book of Hezekiah, chapter 7, verse 15.

"Loah, when thy righteous rifle rings, an Angel wins his wings"

If you enjoyed reading about "The infamous M1 Garand "ping" sound" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!