New Rifle today!! My son turns 8!! His First-- Pics---

PDA

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 07:58 PM
Would love to see Pics of rifles purchased as a childs first; This is the proud dad Thread. Wife & I were buying for our son, turning 8. We were in academy looking at toy guns, and THE WIFE actually asked if it was time to graduate him to a real rifle. I have been looking at H&R Handy Rifles for years & always wanted one in .308 or 7mm-08. For an 8 year old, though, I really wanted a .243 to start him off with something a little easier on his young shoulder. We shot it in today & had to cut the range session short as they were closing, but I have it shooting minute-of-pig & am anxious to finish dialing it in. He got off a couple of rounds, felt center-fire recoil for the first time and has not quit jabbering about it. He is tickled pink. Here is his first rig---Show us yours!

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle today!! My son turns 8!! His First-- Pics---" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ohio Gun Guy
July 11, 2009, 08:11 PM
Good times.......

Can't wait for my boy to be old enough!

kis2
July 11, 2009, 08:23 PM
very nice, and even better he loves it!

my dad gave me an old winchester model 55 .22 for my first that i plan on handing down.

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
Good times.......

Can't wait for my boy to be old enough!

He has a hard time holding it, and has to sit on my lap to shoot it from the bench. He really needs another year to be able to manage it, but I figure it can't hurt to start early.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
better to have it now then have to say; gee I wish I would have got him started back when he was.......

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
better to have it now then have to say; gee I wish I would have got him started back when he was.......

My daughter is 11, and she has no interest in shooting sports or hunting. I have a lot of regret for not starting her earlier. I may err on the side of too early starting him this soon, but unless I get shot I think it will turn out OK.

BMF500
July 11, 2009, 08:56 PM
Here is my nephew with his first gun and first deer at 9 years old. Remmington 710 .234. Deer was killed in South Texas. My son is only 10 months, I'll have to wait for him.

homers
July 11, 2009, 09:05 PM
Very cool! Another young one joins the crowd.

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 09:17 PM
Here is my nephew with his first gun and first deer at 9 years old. Remmington 710 .234. Deer was killed in South Texas. My son is only 10 months, I'll have to wait for him.

Nice buck! That is a forever memory for your nephew. Big deer; I assume by "South" Texas you mean Webb county or the valley? I don't see too many hill country bucks that size.

BMF500
July 11, 2009, 09:20 PM
Brackettville, about 30min from Del Rio. 160lb if I remember right. He was on top of the world that day. We want to see a similar pic of your son this winter....

tju1973
July 11, 2009, 09:23 PM
Awesome-- I started with a .410, then went to a .22-- first time I shot a "Real rifle" -- a bolt 30-06, I knew I was in a new world-- of course, I was probably 9 or 10, and not only was my butt in the dirt, my shoulder hurt and did for days...

Never been the same!

COngrats to you and your son (oh and the wife BTW-- it was HER idea!)

;)

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 09:24 PM
Brackettville, about 30min from Del Rio. 160lb if I remember right. He was on top of the world that day.

I took one a little smaller than that (140ish) last year not too far from there outside of La Pryor; I wish they grew that big anywhere near my Llano lease--I am probably more likely to post pics of him with his first piggy.

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 09:33 PM
I started with a .410, then went to a .22-- first time I shot a "Real rifle" -- a bolt 30-06, I knew I was in a new world-- of course, I was probably 9 or 10, and not only was my butt in the dirt, my shoulder hurt and did for days...

A proper right of passage. My first was also a .410; my grandpa thought it would be a riot to instruct me to hold the butt at least an inch AWAY from my shoulder. I was 10ish. He got a great laugh, I got a cool bruise that lasted a week.

gvnwst
July 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
A proper right of passage. My first was also a .410; my grandpa thought it would be a riot to instruct me to hold the butt at least an inch AWAY from my shoulder. I was 10ish. He got a great laugh, I got a cool bruise that lasted a week.

Grandpas are so nice... Congrats to you, your wife, and your son!

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 10:03 PM
Grandpas are so nice...

I cannot dishonor his memory without a full explanation. He had initially instructed me to pull that stock firmly into my shoulder else that .410 would slap me pretty good. Of course, being 10, I knew far better, and told him it would not hurt at all if it was not touching my shoulder. He smiled, thought about the teaching opportunity for a moment, and said, "sounds great, give that a shot".

1prcntr
July 11, 2009, 10:04 PM
Outstanding !!!!! Can't wait for my boys to come of age. They are 4 and 5 and have already been plinking with a .22 Ithaca lever action @ 25 yrds...with dads help of course. Good times indeed.

BMF500
July 11, 2009, 10:15 PM
I took one a little smaller than that (140ish) last year not too far from there outside of La Pryor; I wish they grew that big anywhere near my Llano lease--I am probably more likely to post pics of him with his first piggy.
Excellent, pig hunts are indeed fun. Wow,first guns are so cool. A sacred right of passage for an American boy. And then your hooked for life. I keep reading and checking this thread.....I'm having flash backs.

Pack
July 11, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm expecting a daughter, due October 28th. Do you guys think it's too early to start looking for a great little gun to buy and put away for her? :D

BMF500
July 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm expecting a daughter, due October 28th. Do you guys think it's too early to start looking for a great little gun to buy and put away for her? :D
NO!! Go for it man!

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
Do you guys think it's too early to start looking for a great little gun to buy and put away for her?

You are in a biased forum for this question, friend. What do you think? I have more guns than I can count purchased with "Legacy hand-downs" as a primary justification. Never be afraid to play the kid card. This purchase was different and special in that it is the first rifle given as a gift.

seanie!
July 11, 2009, 10:57 PM
Congratulations to both of you. I'm glad you're passing on a legacy.

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks so much. It is well passed bedtime for him @ 10:08, and he has yet to put it down. I think he may actually develope the arm strength he needs before this day is out!

SASS#23149
July 11, 2009, 11:23 PM
You and he will share many many happy hours together,as it should be..
Congrats on starting him young,I did and it was a ball !!!!

Clint C
July 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
I will never tell someone how to raise their kids.

In my opinion though that is way to much rifle for a 8 year old boy and he should not be on a scoped rifle either.

Start out with a BB gun, then a pellet rifle, then a .22lr, next comes a shotgun, and none of these should have a scope on them. Kids need to learn how to shoot before they can use a scope.

Sorry if this offends, but this is how it is.

Geno
July 11, 2009, 11:42 PM
Congratulations!

AKElroy
July 11, 2009, 11:48 PM

And then you do precisely that. This is his first center fire deer rifle; He has all of what you describe readily available and uses them often; From airsofts on up. This is not the appropriate post to pick a fight. Look for me in others, I am usually up for it! Peace, dude.

Clint C
July 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
Wow, take it easy. I'm not looking for a fight. Just stated my opinion, and I never told you how to raise your kid. Yes it is a deer rifle. You don't need a scope to kill a deer. You could have also bought him a rifle that fits him. I am guessing this is a rifle for daddy. If you don't want to hear what people have to say then don't post things on a public form. I don't surf this sight to pick fights brother. I gave my opinion on what I could see and what you said, You are the one that blew up. Have fun shooting your new rifle. Wow, grow some thicker skin.

Pack
July 12, 2009, 03:53 AM
Since I'll be looking at getting a younger, female shooter started once she's ready, I'll probably be looking at something smaller.

I've seen those "Chipmunk" single-shot 22s, but to me they seem gimmicky. Are there any other manufacturers that make little, scaled-down rifles for little hands?

I definitely think a single-shot is the way to go, for the reasons of 1) simplicity allows them to focus on their fundamentals as opposed to the hardware, 2) teaching the importance of accuracy, and 3) should they foul up somehow, the result would only be one unintended bang or errant round, as opposed to a potential chain of them.

That said, some rifles back in the early days of repeaters - usually box-magazine bolt actions - had a magazine cutoff. My thinking here is that they could train with it as a single shot, but then "graduate" to using the capacity of the magazine. Does anyone know offhand whether a cutoff is available on any models in current production?

BMF500
July 12, 2009, 07:24 AM

In my opinion though that is way to much rifle for a 8 year old boy and he should not be on a scoped rifle either.

Start out with a BB gun, then a pellet rifle, then a .22lr, next comes a shotgun, and none of these should have a scope on them. Kids need to learn how to shoot before they can use a scope.

Sorry if this offends, but this is how it is.
Why do you want to spoil the day? How do you know the little guy hasn't already worked his way through the graduation order that you have here or something similar? No, this is not "how it is". That is how you are. Ol' AKElroy started his son off with a .243, and that's how it is. And there's nothing wrong with that. We're talking about a H&R single shot .243. I thought that gun was intended for kids that age.

Gungle George
July 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
Their's a damn kill-joy in every crowd.....................:barf:

Cheers,

Gungle George

AKElroy
July 12, 2009, 09:13 AM
You could have also bought him a rifle that fits him. I am guessing this is a rifle for daddy.

It is a youth model H&R single shot. It does not fit me, although as I stated it is still a little big for him. Should be fine in a year or so.

I don't surf this sight to pick fights brother.

Right.

I am guessing this is a rifle for daddy.

Daddy has no trouble buying for daddy; I have plenty that actually fit me.

If you don't want to hear what people have to say then don't post things on a public form.

Actually, my son & I posted this together because he was really excited to get "MY" gun, and we have enjoyed every response but two. He is getting a kick out of my response to you though, so we appreciate the entertainment.

You are the one that blew up.

Actually i'm just sitting here, smiling.

Bones11b
July 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
Great post, makes me want to have kids just so I can pass some of what I know off. Keep up the great work all you dads, and all you moms that I'm sure are out there as well :-)

Clint C
July 12, 2009, 11:44 AM
AKElroy, I appologize, for coming off the way I did. I read your OP and from what I could tell from it you were looking at toys for your kid, and then you are buying your son his first real rifle. I posted on this information. You never said he was graduating to a high power from his small bore rifles or anything like that. It came off to me as him jumping into a scoped high power rifle. In the shooting world a person needs to master the basics before they move on to a rifle like you have purchased for your son. At eight years old I have a hard time to believe he has done that. Jumping in to a rig like that can teach him bad habits. I am not looking for a fight and was not going to post on this again, but it bothers me to come off as a bad guy. I appologize again and this is all I ment with my OP in your thread.

Have a good one, Clint

MJR007
July 12, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yep my kids started shooting their Savage cubs at three/four (cut stocks). A brick a week is not uncommen. My middle son has claim his great grandfather's 94 Winchester (32win). He is now ten and can hold better groups with it than me.

It is good to see people taking pride in their kids.

dakotasin
July 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
elroy - congrats to you and the boy on the milestone. it is an exciting time!

i have uploaded pics in the past of my daughters shooting. my boy is too young still, so we aren't there, yet. however, i can't seem to get the pics to upload now for whatever reason.

my oldest daughter is 9, and has been shooting since she was 3. her first rifle is a savage 10 in 300 wsm running handloaded 130 hornadys at about 2400 f/s. very mild load, really. i cut the stock in .5" increments, and have dowel holes drilled so she can grow back into the rifle. once she gets all grown into it, i'll re-stock it. and before i also get accused of a 'rifle for daddy', i should point out i am right handed and my daughter is a lefty, and so is her rifle. i have my own 300 wsm.

interesting fact: my oldest daughter just entered her first sanctioned competition on wednesday evening. 40-round match, 32 for score. she did fine, though she didn't win (nor did we expect to). we had an absolute ball, though. my best memory from that shoot was looking over at her after the seated position string (sporting rifle match) and seeing her ear-to-ear grin and empty cases all around her...

her younger sister, now 6, will be getting her first rifle for christmas this year - a remington 7 cdl in 350 rem mag. i figure some 125 or 158 hornady xtp's at 1800 f/s should be about right for a 6 year old. the rifle has been ordered, and we are likely to top it w/ a pink/purple splattered leupold... (not for sure, yet - scope hasn't been ordered).

anyway, again, congrats to you and the boy. and best wishes for many happy memories!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
AKElroy, this is outstanding; good job as dad! :) Remember, safety first!

AKElroy
July 12, 2009, 02:51 PM
AKElroy, I appologize, for coming off the way I did. I read your OP and from what I could tell from it you were looking at toys for your kid, and then you are buying your son his first real rifle. I posted on this information. You never said he was graduating to a high power from his small bore rifles or anything like that. It came off to me as him jumping into a scoped high power rifle. In the shooting world a person needs to master the basics before they move on to a rifle like you have purchased for your son. At eight years old I have a hard time to believe he has done that. Jumping in to a rig like that can teach him bad habits. I am not looking for a fight and was not going to post on this again, but it bothers me to come off as a bad guy. I appologize again and this is all I ment with my OP in your thread.

Have a good one, Clint

No worries, Clint. Thanks for the apology---

AKElroy
July 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
AKElroy, this is outstanding; good job as dad! Remember, safety first!

We've already had our battles on this today--(muzzle control; he still has not put it down) Thanks for the kind words!

AKElroy
July 12, 2009, 03:35 PM
my best memory from that shoot was looking over at her after the seated position string (sporting rifle match) and seeing her ear-to-ear grin and empty cases all around her...

That's what it's all about---Would love to see those pics! You have some serious shoulders in your family--the .350 rem is a thumper!

dakotasin
July 12, 2009, 04:39 PM
not when it is downloaded and stuck into a heavy rifle... you can weigh any rifle down significantly w/ a little lead shot, some glass bedding, and bipod...

.38 Special
July 12, 2009, 05:00 PM
I was about his age when I fired my first rifle: a .45 muzzleloader that was taller than me. I stood on my grandfather's porch and tried to aim the gun (that he made himself) at a target he had stuck to a strand of barbed wire about 10 yards away. The gun was too heavy for me to hold up, so I had to swing it up in an arc and yank the trigger as it swept the target. The first shot clipped the barbed wire. I thought I was in trouble, but grandpa just slapped me on the back and yelled "Now there's a first shot to remember!". I always tell folks I learned how to shoot that morning and learned how to string barbed wire that afternoon.

zombienerd
July 12, 2009, 05:42 PM
I've seen those "Chipmunk" single-shot 22s, but to me they seem gimmicky. Are there any other manufacturers that make little, scaled-down rifles for little hands?

There's the Davey Crickett single shot bolts, ( http://www.crickett.com ) I'm planning on picking one up for my daughter's birthday next year (She'll be 5) She currently loves sitting in the back yard with me and shooting my airsoft and Crossman airguns.

I guess it could be considered a bit gimmicky (comes in your choice of stock colors, including pink for the little ladies, wood also available) but I can't think of a better choice to start a little kid off with. It's sized perfectly for them, and it's pretty darned inexpensive. 11.5" from the base of the stock to the trigger, and only 2.5lb trigger pull.

MJR007
July 12, 2009, 06:32 PM
Zombienerd, we have three Savage Cubs in the house. I love to think about the thousands of rounds that have gone through them. The kids started out with 22 short CBs. These rifles have done very well by my family.

Michael

Coopersrcool
July 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
Here is my little girl with her cricket...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/kanddjune11/001.jpg
And waiting in the safe with her name as the serial number (Cooper option)
Cooper 204 Ruger
Exhibition French

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/kanddjune11/Cooper/001-1.jpg

Col. Plink
July 13, 2009, 02:02 PM
Seems like a good rule of thumb might be bb guns for those in single digits, pellet rifles at 10, rimfires & shotguns at 12, and centerfires when there's 'grass on the infield' so to speak. Just my $.02 though, and I'm not a parent but I am a teacher. My bro just gave his twin boys a .22 marlin for plinkin', and they couldn't be happier or more obsessed. One now will not rest until he has a .22 revolver, a step into the future I must admit I am unsure of. They will certainly never be out of their dad's oversight during use, so I guess it will be OK till they're old enough to go on a plinkin' safari.

AKElroy
July 13, 2009, 11:09 PM
I would like to thank everyone for offering terrific stories and well wishes. I would also like to address an issue that I view as valid with regard to safety.
I made the assumption in posting this that it would be understood that my 8 year old is not going to be walking around with a loaded .243 he can barely shoulder, a few boxes of shells, and his daddy wishing him the best of luck. It will be SEVERAL years before he ventures into the field alone with this .243, or even a .22 or pellet rifle for that matter.

I was 12 or 13 before I was allowed to hunt on my own with a .22, and while that is a little later than I will likely employ with my kids, it is not a bad rule of thumb & may well be where they end up.

The only guns he is able to shoot while alone (in the back yard only) are airsofts, and even then he wears eye protection and practices the rules or goes without the gun for a day.

This is a long walk, and this purchase is simply designed to introduce him to the next level of shooting excitement. I hope to have him take a deer or pig with me at his side within the next 2 to 3 years, but I will let his progress determine that.

Thanks again for the terrific posts; stay safe.

chevyforlife21
July 13, 2009, 11:19 PM
wow i was just getting started with a bb gun when i was 8 or 9 i still dont have a rifle that big haha

.38 Special
July 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
So what's up with the foot-long scopes on two-foot-long rifles, anyway?

Coopersrcool
July 13, 2009, 11:33 PM
If you don't like a big scope don't buy one ..would be my recommendation....:rolleyes:

Arkel23
July 14, 2009, 12:20 AM
What caliber is it?

AKElroy
July 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
So what's up with the foot-long scopes on two-foot-long rifles, anyway?

This combo came with a Simmons 3X9. Given my experience with Simmons, it won't be long before I make a change. I have a flawless vintage 44 year old Weaver K-4 waiting to be put back into action when this Simmons acts like a Simmons.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle today!! My son turns 8!! His First-- Pics---" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!