Mosin Nagant

PDA

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 01:30 AM
Looking to possibly get one, found one for $130 shipped off of gunbroker. Anyone know much about these? A friend got me very interested in them, but I have never shot one.

I hear they are loud though... hows the kick? I am 6'5" and 220lbs, I think I'll be ok, just was wondering.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
July 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
I shot about 20 rounds last weekend with my M44. It spits fire and did leave some marks. I was also shooting 270WSM so that could have done it too.

Where are you located?

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 01:34 AM
Maine. It would be my first gun. My parents are not very gun pro, but I am. I am 18, but since I still live in the same vicinity I have not been able to get a gun until now. I have heard that a .22 might be better but I have shot .22's and didn't really have much fun.. no noise, no kick, small hole in the target....

Birdmang
July 12, 2009, 01:38 AM
I got 200 rds of 7.62x54r for around $37. I bought 800 rds of .22LR the same day for $19. I love my Mosin but I shoot my .22 pistols and rifles more. Its cheaper and I like being able to shoot cans at 60-70 yards with a .22, its awesome. It comes down to personal choice. The M44 is great but at the range for a day I probably shoot ~12 rds of x54r and at least 200 rds of .22. Good luck finding a fun gun!

2RCO
July 12, 2009, 01:40 AM
Vincent I caution you with one thing on buying a Mosin Nagant.

They are highly addictive and you seem to always buy just one more since they are relatively cheap.

For the price you really can't beat them..With a guy your size recoil won't be a problem. Some fairly small Russian women used Sniper Variants to great effect in WWII so you can handle it.

Surplus Ammo is still readily available but most is corrosive so get some windex and clean the bore after shooting.

rondog
July 12, 2009, 01:41 AM
Lots of them out there from lots of places, you might be able to beat that price with J&G Sales, AIM Surplus, or several other places online. Get a copy of Shotgun News and look over the ads. It's better if you can check it out in person first, but a good Plan B is to buy from one of the online dealers, they tend to ship out the better rifles, they don't want the bad rep of selling worn-out beaters. I'd trust them before I'd trust a pawn shop, FTF sale or auction.

What kind are you looking at? I have a 1938 91/30 made at the Tula factory, and it's a dandy. Shoots about like a bolt-action .30-06, but the steel buttplate is rather harsh. It "should" come with a bayonet, sling, ammo pouches, and some other accessories, make sure it does.

Don't pooh-pooh the humble .22! Dollar for dollar, you can have MORE FUN just plinking around with a .22 rifle than any other gun out there! Water-filled cans and plastic bottles, paper targets, fruit, vanilla wafers, water balloons, golf balls, bottle caps, spent shotgun shells, you name it. The challenge of hitting small or reactive targets is a hoot! And you never get a sore shoulder from recoil, or the pounding on your hearing (but still wear hearing protection, especially with .22 pistols!) Plus, it's MUCH cheaper to shoot all day long. IF you can find any 500 round bricks of .22LR anywhere.

My grandson and I haul a whole truckful of guns when we go shooting, and we shoot 'em all, but the .22's ALWAYS get more trigger time, and my ancient Remington 514 single-shot seems to get the most. It's also deadly accurate.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 01:42 AM
Well, my problem is that the range is $200 to become a member (then $125/yr). Then I was looking at Savage's but the .22s start at $250 on their site. then ammo. I just got into college, so I don't have a ton of $$$. Still looking to get a job, but I am in VA for 3 weeks before heading back to ME.

BTW, why is there no b/s/t forum on THR? Did I miss it?

Edit: the 91/30 is what I am eyeing.. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133955448

Birdmang
July 12, 2009, 01:42 AM
You missed it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=21

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 01:45 AM
How the heck did I miss that? I must not have loaded the entire page.. It's been awhile since I was on THR, I got yelled at in politics awhile back >.> But people tell me if I stay out of that I'll be fine.

Faitmaker
July 12, 2009, 01:46 AM
I love my Mosin. I'll usually put 60 rounds through it at the range. Leaves a slight yellowish bruise on my shoulder. 5'9" 315lb.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 01:47 AM
There are two types of receivers right, Hex and another, which is better?

jpwilly
July 12, 2009, 01:54 AM
There are two types of receivers right, Hex and another, which is better?

No there's a little more to it...have you gone over to http://7.62x54r.net/ yet? worth a look around to anwser some of your questions.

BTW I have 5 MN's from when they were $69ea and one PU Ex Sniper with excellent bore that I've not yet shot.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 01:58 AM
thanks for the link, reading up now.

30mag
July 12, 2009, 02:03 AM
I have a .30-06. Recoil is equivalent between the .30-06 and 7.62 x 54R.
I'm 5' 7" and weigh 135 lbs. I'm fine. Recoil is about on par with a 12 gauge.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 02:05 AM
Now I just need to find a 91/30 in good condition :)

What would you guys recommend for a decent scope that won't break the bank that will work for the 91/30?

30mag
July 12, 2009, 02:05 AM
Also, you can pick up a new Savage .22 at Wal-Mart for around $150 (around here, maybe less elsewhere.. maybe less here...). But it's not gonna be as much fun as a Mosin.. but it will be cheaper in the long run. Also, smaller calibers are better for beginner shooters.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 02:09 AM
Walmarts up here stopped carrying guns.

@jpwilly - sorry I did not do my research before asking

Anyone know the best online retailer to grab a 91/30? J&G I heard mentioned somewhere...

jpwilly
July 12, 2009, 02:15 AM
J&G is good they have some Hex reciever 91/30's for $79 (http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-hex-receiver-rifle%2C-standard-grade%2C-7-62x54r-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1524?osCsid=9c763f9c10d1d3d2aceb49067b6ad650) right now.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 02:21 AM
wow.. think I may shop there. On GB they were $135+

Only down side is its just the gun and the Bayonet, no other goodies... still. Anyways, thank you all for the help.

jws527
July 12, 2009, 02:34 AM
As I understand it: a Mosin (i.e. crack) addition starts innocently (and cheaply enough), but before long your family is calling an intervention in on you. ;)

I have two (both run-of-the-mill wartime models from the Izhevsk arsenal; a '42 91/30 and a '44 M44) and enjoy them quite a bit. That said, if I was ever inclined to downsize my collection (relatively modest though it is), they would probably be the first to go.

To be quite honest, they're mediocre rifles, and stand out only because they're cheap and readily available which makes collecting them an attainable sub-hobby. All of this is presently helped along by a supply of relatively cheap surplus ammunition, which will surely exhaust itself sooner or later. If the average Mosin ran you $350-400 instead of $100, I sincerely doubt that "Mosinitis" would even exist.

rondog
July 12, 2009, 02:36 AM
Ah, now putting a scope on a 91/30, that's a whole 'nother story. It can be done, there's several ways to do it, but that's a thread in itself. If you go to www.gunandgame.com, and look in the Mosin section, you'll find tons of info on scoping the 91/30 and Mosins in general. Got a big bunch of M/N lovers there. Nice community too.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 02:39 AM
I'll check out the link rondog.

@jws527 - Is there any other rifle thats ~$100 that is decent then? I mean, I would LOVE an H&K SL-7 but thats $1700 easy >.>

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 02:48 AM
Rondog, I looked, some cool pics, a scary fireball from one... no scope info, I used search and all... Well, I'll figure it out something like http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-2_7X32_Mosin_Nagant_Scope_Mount_Scout_Rifle_Kit.html maybe?

jws527
July 12, 2009, 03:08 AM
@jws527 - Is there any other rifle thats ~$100 that is decent then? I mean, I would LOVE an H&K SL-7 but thats $1700 easy >.>
Nope - but that's my point. They're exceptional for what they cost (i.e. almost nothing). Granted, I do have a very accurate Savage Mk.II that I paid $117 for (new), but that's a .22 and clearly not in the same league.

Soviet Mosins can actually be great shooters, if you're lucky or patient enough to get the right one. Because they're milsurps that saw active use in some capacity or another, bore condition is a crapshoot. My 91/30 has sharp rifling and an intact original crown and shoots well as a consequence, but keeping my well-used M44 on the paper is a minor challenge even at 50 meters.

I have good reasons for saying that they're "mediocre." Performance aside (for reasons above): the bolt is clunky, trigger feel is poor, sights are poor, and the safety is effectively useless. It's also somewhat tedious to break down and clean - especially the bolt, which requires the use of a flathead screwdriver (or, ideally, the special notched "Mosin tool" included with some of them) to properly reset the firing pin. Compared to a K98 (for example), it simply doesn't seem as though a lot of thought went into the original design. One thing that I will concede is that they're tough as nails.

That said, those criticisms apply primarily to the Soviet guns - and they're still a lot of fun to shoot, regardless (I'm sure part of the charm actually comes from the fact that they're so primitive). The Finns made their own versions which are supposed to be vastly superior, though the prices reflect that.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 03:11 AM
well, for $80 im not gonna do better then http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-hex-receiver-rifle,-standard-grade,-7-62x54r-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1524?osCsid=9c763f9c10d1d3d2aceb49067b6ad650 "Arsenal refinished in very good to excellent condition"

SO ya, I think i'll grab one of those. Hopefully it'll be a nice one.

jws527
July 12, 2009, 03:36 AM
Great, enjoy it. :) At the end of the day, I suppose it's enough to say that I usually bring one of my Mosins with me whenever I make a trip out to the range.

Vincent Vash
July 12, 2009, 03:38 AM
Heh, I will, thanks. $80 for the gun and like $100 for 440rds isn't bad.

jpwilly
July 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
That's a good deal for now the deals on the Mosin Nagants are dyring up IMO. Ammo used to be really cheap too! I've got 3 cases of 3 hundred that I purchased for $35ea a couple years ago. I scoped this these two MN and have been extreamly please with them!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/M91-30PU002.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/ScoutPaint005.jpg

Raptorq7r13
July 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
After reading this, I think I'm going to have to go get a Mosin soon too!

Nanook
July 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
For a somewhat related note, check out the movie "Defiance".

You'll get to see bunches of Mosin Nagants and Mauser K98s. The Mosins look like M44s mostly.

Excellent movie, although sad. But it's kind of neat seeing all of those rifles in their natural habitat.

jlv08
July 12, 2009, 09:08 PM
A Mosin Nagant in ANY form is going to be an inexpensive ,very good first entry into a high powered rifle for several rerasons:

1) They are very well built , robust rifles and shoot a cartridge in the "06 class.:what:

2) There are lots of them, mostly refurbs and if you are at a store that has a few, you can go through them and pick one that "speaks" to you, after making sure that every thing is good with bore, crown, etc.

3) Almost all Mosins imported have been rearsenaled and are brought back into almost issue condition and will shoot very well if you do your part.

4) You will more than likely learn the background of the rifles' history as you develop the dreaded affliction of "Mosinitis" and will be astounded at how they manage to accumulate in your house/apartment.

5) You will mess up yor love life and learn that wives can get real testy about tripping over Mosins that have ammassed in the home , especially if they are stored in her sewing room.

Sooo...
dive in and get one!

Great value in a woods ready rifle.:)

xstuntman
July 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
I got a '42 Izzy 91/30. Fun factor is beyond any other rifle I've got and it kicks hard with the steel butt plate and the heavy grain ammo. Aimsurplus has the 147 gr. ammo for a pretty good deal btw.

My buddies carbine throws a one heck of a flame in the evening shoots - grabs everyones attention:D X

Deckard
July 12, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'd say get a cheap .22 to practice with and the Mosin for some fun at the range. Try looking at a Marlin 981, CZ 513, Savage 64, Marlin Mod 60, or a Ruger 10/22. All of those should run you under $200 (except for the CZ, but its worth it). A good start for your future collection and for $300-400, not bad I'd say.

Ignition Override
July 13, 2009, 02:19 AM
Mr. Vash:

If you resolve to buy a MN, then you will be much happier in the long-run if the bore is fairly bright and shiny. Some might have regular crud, or cosmoline. Be aware that the person on the phone might not have the time to clean it before you call him/her to ask about it.
And cleaning might not be their job. If you buy a gun from a private owner, store or gun show, this can be the better solution to your search.
Many of these bores suffer from corrosion because of soldiers/former owners who were careless or bums.

I have two MN 44s which look almost excellent on the outside, and the bores reflect a bit of light, BUT, the 'groups' at only 50 yards look like a group of sparrows in sloppy "fingertip" formation.

The groups are about 6-8 inches at only about 150 feet. A friend who is a qualified marksman tried out one, on his sand bags.
He still shoots with a military (reserve) rifle team, although retired, and never found holes for two of the rounds from one of my 44s.

jpwilly
July 13, 2009, 02:24 AM
These are milsurps and most have been seen hard use. Look for an excellent bore if possible double check for counter boring. Many of them will shoot okay don't expect a tack driver and you won't be let down. If you want MOA get a decent new rifle.

stubbicatt
July 13, 2009, 08:23 AM
For a few dollars more J&G has the "faux sniper".

Get that one. Excellent, bright, shiny, new bore, and a scope and mount already installed. As I have aged, the "you can't hit what you can't see" admonition is becoming all to clear. Without a scope I'm pretty much hosed.

atakawow
July 13, 2009, 02:15 PM
Get an M39. For a hundred bucks more, it is a world of difference in terms of quality and accuracy. I've been down that road.

You can find them here http://www.gunsnammo.com/. Get one that is considered as "antique" so you can have it shipped right to your front door without paying the FFL fee.

chuwee81
July 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
i have a 1927 m91/30 and being a 10/22 guy shooting mostly .22lr all his life, shooting the 7.62x54r has no comparison. It was really fun. Plus like i mentioned in a thread before, grapefruit size groups with iron sights at 50 yds are normal range day for me. If i can see better, no doubt the rifle can do much better. My stock was beat up but i just refinished it and there's no amount of dollar can describe how pleased i am with how the stock turns up. Not perfect but it's what you call a labor of love.

mine has shiny and sharp rifling albeit a worn muzzle. Serial numbers match except the bayo (novelty anyway). I have bought another can of ammo. They are about 90-100 bux a can plus shipping. So they still run about 20-23 cents a piece. I bought it from a guy here 240 bux plus 1 can of ammo. Not the best deal but buying from JG, plus shipping plus transfer fees would bring it up there.

As far as firearm goes, it has high fun factor to the dollar amount ratio.

ccsniper
July 13, 2009, 09:08 PM
I would much rather shoot my mosin than my mauser. 17lbs of recoil for my mosin, 24lbs from my mauser. At least I think those are the correct numbers.

tactikel
July 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
The Mosin is a great fun rifle, I have shot about 200 rounds out of my friends,it was fun to plink with (had about a dozen fail to fire (ammo or gun?) using romanian ammo). His Mauser M98 was $ 40 more but is twice as well made, rugged, and has tons of spare parts available. 8mm will pound you more than 7.62/54R- I handloaded some empties to starting load vel. and 8mm was pleasant to shoot. Both were fun to shoot, I wouldn't trust my life to a Mosin, I would trust my life with a Mauser.

Faitmaker
July 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
Interesting. I've got about 300-400 rounds through mine this year with no FTF. i'd trust my life to the gun if they are far enough away. After all, it is a bolt action.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
July 13, 2009, 11:49 PM
I've never had a problem with my mosin. The recoil doesn't affect me. I'm 5'11" and 230 pounds and never has it knocked me over or left a bruise so...

They're good guns.

jordan1948
July 13, 2009, 11:55 PM
I like mine. I'm only 5'10" and 175# but it doesn't bother me too much.

hawmanai
July 14, 2009, 12:24 AM
I bought a Hex 91 from J&G last year, was in very good condition, barrel looked new. Also had a M44 before that from big 5, looked brand new.

The M44 has a nice fireball with some ammo, the longer 91 burns up the powder better and does not kick as hard. But the M44 is a blast to shoot. They are both very accurate and can't be beat for the price.

Search youtube for M44 fireball.

MagnumWill
July 14, 2009, 02:35 AM
Just went and shot two of mine today. Only put 20 rounds through them, but the bruise is from the 3" 12ga magnum loads :rolleyes:

You can either but the Century sniper version, but if you have a little E-hunting savvy for parts (bent bolt handle, scope, scope mount), and a drill press (and machines of that sort) you can make your own. I got the scope off GunBroker, as well as the mount. The bolt handle came from www.buymilsurp.com. Beautiful bolt handle, I must say.

This was fun to do, because mine started as an infantry rifle, and then I put the scope on. Here it is:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/13/l_353f5d7f2797b6aa3b5942299c6c75cb.jpg

Yes, mosinitis is in fact an actual disease. :rolleyes:

bgrav321
July 14, 2009, 10:49 AM
Vincent: my first gun was when I was 18 was a 91/30. One of the best decisions I ever made, and I think (i could be wrong here) it's one of the cheapest center fire rifles out there to shoot. Great gun, and I still shoot mine all the time. I'm 6'6'' and about 185 and I'm fine with the recoil.

MagnumWill: I like those things you've put on your sniper...where did you get them/how did you make them?

mcdonl
July 14, 2009, 11:04 AM
Vince, there are always one or two in the Uncle Henrys too if you want to avoid the FFL fee.

What part of Maine... I reload and shoot mine often.

jackdanson
July 14, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm 5'9 and 145 lbs and I can shoot a mosin, so I'm sure you can. They are fun, but aren't pleasant to "practice" with. A .22 is more practical for a beginner, your size doesn't matter if you develop a flinch.

ps nice rifle magnum.

Faitmaker
July 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
In talking to my daughter today, I can't believe I forgot this. My 15 and 17 year old daughters both shoot this rifle. Interestingly enough, my 17 year old likes to fold my soft case over her shoulder and the 15 year old doesn't bother. The 15 year old shot probably 20-30 rounds on the 3rd at 100 yards.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, Aim Surplus has these rifles sometimes. I believe the link is http://www.aimsurplus.com.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!