First Glock Rounds

PDA

JoeMal
July 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
Well, as a few of you may know, I recently bought my first handgun last week, a Glock 17. Once my gun arrived, I started the process of trying to find ammo. After many, many phone calls and trips to random stores, I managed to find some. The only thing left was to hit the range....

I've fired a total of 300ish rounds over 2 days. Pretty close to 200 went on Friday with a buddy of mine, the other 100 yesterday when I went to shoot with the lady friend.

I must say I am extremely satisfied with my purchase of a Glock . The weapon fired extremely accurately, my grouping were great IMO for a beginner shooter. I was shooting a little low/left, I'm not sure if this an issue with the way I was shooting the gun or what....either way, I can easily adjust for this by aiming slightly high/right.

Like I said though, I really enjoyed shooting the gun and it performed exactly how I expected. No jams or misfires. I was using several types of ammo including Brown Bear, Foccihi (or however you spell it), Independence, PMI (I think that's what they're called?), and I shot a few Remington Golden Sabres.

Just felt like getting that out there :) I'm obviously still giddy over my new toy and all I can think about is shooting it. I just wish it wasn't such an expensive habit :(

If you enjoyed reading about "First Glock Rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Raptorq7r13
July 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the club! I bought my first handgun in November. A Beretta M9. Never looked back, this will be a hobby I keep forever.

It's not the gun. Sometimes I still shoot down and to the left. Good grip and trigger control help resolve that. Took me a long time to figure it out. One of my main problems was over gripping with my left hand, pulling the barrel down and left.

Glocks certainly are a nice choice. I don't care for the grip or the DAO trigger, but they are still a fine weapon and one of the most reliable.

JoeMal
July 12, 2009, 11:05 AM
I will keep that in mind about how I hold with my left hand. I figured it had to do with the way I was holding the gun. Thanks for the reply

ljnowell
July 12, 2009, 12:50 PM
Gotta get used to shooting off the reset of that glock trigger. If you let completely off the trigger after every shot you will be more prone to shooting low and left. Lots of practice. Many people toot the "glock isnt accurate" line because they dont know how to shoot one.

JoeMal
July 12, 2009, 01:01 PM
I see...so don't let the 'safety' portion release, only the trigger itself? I'll try that as well. I'm not sure if I'm guilty of that, but I very well could be. Next time I'm at the range (which very well could be today) I'll focus more on my form and execution

ljnowell
July 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yes. What you can do to practice is ensure your gun is empty. With the empty gun rack the slide. Point the empty gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger, keeping it pulled after the dry fire. THen slowly let out on the trigger until you feel the click of the reset. That is the point you shoot your follow ups at. Same thing with an accurate first shot. You can aim, take up the trigger till you get to the reset point and pause a split second to reestablish your aim.

JoeMal
July 12, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks again for the tip, I'm definitely going to work on this

possum
July 12, 2009, 03:03 PM
congrats on the glock, great choice, and i am glad that you like it.

I was shooting a little low/left, I'm not sure if this an issue with the way I was shooting the gun or what....either way, I can easily adjust for this by aiming slightly high/right.
if you are a right handed shooter, this is a tale tale trigger pull/ press issue, smooth pull to the rear, and you will be good to go. also if you learn what your glocks reset is, and relelase the trigger only enough to you hear/ feel the audible "click" and then fire again you will have less trigger travel therfore less opertunity to jerk the shot, additionally it will assist you in shooting faster down the road.

JoeMal
July 12, 2009, 05:06 PM
Ok, so back from the range....

I worked on addressing the trigger issue and it definitely helped. I still had some instances where my accuracy was low/left, but I'm still less than 1k rounds experienced, so I know my skills will increase with time at the range.

Here are a few of my better target results. The first picture was 10 rounds fired (all 10 hit), the second was 14 fired (12 hit), and the third was 34 rounds fired...I count at least like 26 hit. These were from 5-10 yards out

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/SCAN0012.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/SCAN0014.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/SCAN0015.jpg

Riss
July 12, 2009, 05:12 PM
Firing the Glock on trigger reset will help. Other than that, lots of practice and the .25 $ trigger job and you are set. Easiest way to lighten the trigger it to polish everything lightly, and install a heavier trigger spring.

CountGlockula
July 12, 2009, 06:09 PM
Congrats! Don't forget the fundamentals: Front sight and trigger control.

crebralfix
July 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
Understand the difference between TARGET shooting and COMBAT shooting. Do not expect the results of one when you're doing the other.

Verify that no part of your trigger finger forward of the knuckle touches the frame at any time during the firing sequence.

Two handed shooting:

Option 1:

Try squeezing your hands in different ways. Try 70/30 or 80/20 where 70/80% of the squeeze is from the NON-TRIGGER finger hand. This assists in managing recoil and keeping everything lined up.

Hold the gun tightly in a very strong grip.

Option 2:

Another method takes advantage of the thumbs forward technique. First, achieve your grip with the primary hand as high as possible on the gun. Keep your primary hand thumb pointing up. Stick your support arm straight out, hand open like you're going to do a karate chop. Tilt the hand DOWN at the wrist as far as it will go. Move it to the gun. The support hand thumb should lay on the side of the Glock. I put the pad of my thumb on the rough take down lever on the frame; it's a good index point. Lay your primary hand thumb down on top of your support hand.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=396710
Thumbs forward photo

When you start to work the trigger:

1) Make sure there is air between your trigger finger and the frame. Remember what this feels like on the pad of your finger. After awhile, it will become automatic.

2) As you work the trigger back, press on the frame with your support thumb just enough to offset the wobble caused by the trigger finger.

One Handed:

One handed shooting: Grip it tightly so your knuckles turn white. Back off a hair and try that. What happens when you grip the gun has tightly as possible? Try shooting with a loose hand...what happens then?

After awhile, you'll find yourself gravitating toward one technique. Just remember that the LITTLE details count in shooting. Use what works...and it may not be any of the ones listed here. You'll figure it out.

Most importantly, get a bunch of gun books and read them. You'll find all sorts of good stuff in them.

JoeMal
July 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
Understand the difference between TARGET shooting and COMBAT shooting. Do not expect the results of one when you're doing the other.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Thanks for the other tips though

crebralfix
July 12, 2009, 06:50 PM
Target shooting is about putting rounds onto (surprise!) some sort of target. The goal is generally to be as precise and accurate as possible. Some games require speed; others are simply timed with a round count requirement.

Combat shooting is about putting bullets into someone's body. Sometimes an extremity is the only target presented...so take it. A wound for the bad guy is bad for him and good for you. Other times you'll shoot a burst or zipper them up from belly to head. Combat shooting also involves movement, shooting at extremely close ranges and possibly hand to hand combat (unarmed and/or otherwise) before, during or after shooting.

Initiative, and understanding it, is essential to combat shooting. Initiative generally breaks down into three groups: "behind the curve", equal initiative, or "ahead of the curve". Sometimes "ahead of the curve" is called bushwacking, ambushing, preparedness or just "going in hot". No matter. You need to know what to do in all three situations and NEVER assume that initiative will be equal or that the advantage will be yours. That's one problem with "range" shooting: people assume that they'll have equal or better initiative, when the reality may be they look up and see the guy starting his draw.

Since they're so different, you really need to plan your range sessions. Sure...plinking is fun, but it may not be all that productive in terms of increasing your skill.

crebralfix
July 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
On that first target with the shot in the center. Take a moment and think about that shot. What did you do? What were your eyes, body, hands, feet and head doing? Where was the front sight when the gun fired?

Raptorq7r13
July 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
Nice shooting too. You shoot better than I had after my first 1000 rounds.

With practice comes the resolution of any trigger or grip problems you may have. Glad you see yourself improving already though. It's definitely encouraging when you see a definite improvement after coming back from the range.

GLOOB
July 13, 2009, 04:36 AM
Low/left happens for me when I anticipate the shot. Try loading a random snap cap in each mag, perhaps. If you're guilty, you'll dip your gun violently on the snap cap! :) Dang muscle memory can override the conscious brain, sometimes. And until you get used to the trigger break, you can cause yourself some bad fliers when your muscles jump the gun. For me, this problem only seems to occur towards the end of a session when I'm tired.

JoeMal
July 13, 2009, 09:44 AM
Fill a magazine with FMJ rounds and hollow points, alternating every other one. This will really tell you your gun's personality.

What does this do/test?

Here are some new shots from the range. I adjusted my grip, holding the weapon with more on my support hand, only letting my right hand work the trigger. Groups are smaller and more accurate. I'll continue to try to work on this method while improving on my trigger control

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/SCAN0016.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/SCAN0017.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/jomal206/SCAN0018.jpg

ljnowell
July 14, 2009, 01:16 AM
Joemal---

Those are some real improvements. Looks like from the rapid improvement you may end up a glock guy. Keep up the good shootin and keep putting those rounds downrange.

Mr.357Sig
July 14, 2009, 01:38 AM
You're doing awesome. Really improving with every day.

Remember, HARD focus on that front sight. Let the gun tell you when it's ready to fire. Pull, pull, re-aquire target, pull, pull, re-aquire target, pull.........bang! Trigger control is definitely the hardest part of putting together a good group.

Some advice I got from my advanced combat pistol course was to hit the target (obviously) with the first round. Now, make that round's hole your target. Aim small, miss small.

How far downrange were the last group of targets?

Welcome to the Glock family. Mine is a G31.

Mr.357Sig
July 14, 2009, 01:40 AM
When I said re-aquire the target, I should have said re-confirm your sight picture. That is a more accurate term.

JoeMal
July 14, 2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks ljnowell and Mr. Sig

I was about the same distance as the last set of targets...I estimate about 7-8 yards

kmbrman
July 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
The , low left, problem will go away the more you practice and the trigger pull smooths out. This is a common problem when shooting striker fired guns for the first time. Doesn't matter the make of the pistol either as I had the low left problem with both a Glock 22 and my M&P 9mm.

Ben86
July 15, 2009, 04:51 PM
Good choice. Isn't it nice owning one of the best handguns on the market? It also has one of the largest selections of holsters, parts and accessories.

sohcgt2
July 15, 2009, 10:53 PM
Congrats on the aquisition. The biggest key to accuracy is the most basic. That is a solid firing grip. Strong hand grip on the pistols grips, white knuckle tight and pushing away from your body, weak hand for support pulling the gun back towards you as hard as the strong hand is pushing away. This will control the firearm and also cause it to return to the target after firing for followup shots.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Glock Rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!