CBOB Conversion Kits?

PDA

HammerheadSSN663
July 12, 2009, 02:56 PM
Looking to convert my Colt Commander to a CBOB handle? Possible???

txs.

If you enjoyed reading about "CBOB Conversion Kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlindJustice
July 12, 2009, 03:51 PM
DOesn't Ed Brown offer a CBOB Main Spring Housing? I recall it requires
an Officers Sized Main spring - but the fitting I believe
would require filing down the rear lower end of the
frame, - I don't know if it uses the stock holes for
the retaining pins or if those have to be re-drilled.

Try a Google on Ed Brown CBOB MSH Conversion

R-

Quack
July 12, 2009, 03:59 PM
It's really not a DIY thing for most people. You need an Ed Brown mainspring housing, get the frame machined down, drill new mainspring housing pin hole, refinish the frame and modify the grips.

FYI - CBOB is short for the Commander BOBtail model by Dan Wesson. It uses the Ed Brown bobtail MSH.

Tom Fury
July 12, 2009, 04:16 PM
I think they either sell a frame that way or will do one; there are lots of pix of Fusion bobtails out there.

May be quicker than EB. I think EB will not do that kind of piecework for DIY'ers anymore but will want to build the whole gun...

Cheers, TF

9mmepiphany
July 12, 2009, 09:37 PM
Ed Brown used to sell a jig for folks who want to mod their own frames. you'll still need an Officer's ACP MSH

Quack
July 12, 2009, 09:58 PM
yes, you could buy the jig, but you would have to buy an Ed Brown bobtail MSH, not an officer MSH.

here's some info on the work you need to do if you want to take on the task.
http://militaryshooter.com/id11.html

HammerheadSSN663
July 13, 2009, 12:49 AM
man, forget it. by the time its all said and done with a gunsmith you're looking at a brand new weapon price anyway so what's the point?

thanks anyway guys!

appreciated.

kentucky_smith
July 13, 2009, 07:54 AM
A lot of smiths will do this including a refinish for about $200. Fusion included. Call Bob Serva.

Quack
July 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
If you carry your Commander, the bobtail makes it a bit more comfortable to carry.
I love carrying mine.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_9410.jpg

Southern6er
July 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
As posted, doing a bobtail, buying parts, refinishing (unless stainless), adds up pretty quick. I priced a bobtail out on my Kimber (along with a few other upgrades/mods) and it would be cheaper for me to just get a Dan Wesson CBOB.

I THINK I'll try to talk my wife into that or REALLY going out for an Ed Brown. :)

CWL
July 13, 2009, 02:38 PM
If you carry your Commander, the bobtail makes it a bit more comfortable to carry.

I don't think that it adds anything towards increased comfort since the difference in weight is negligible. The purpose of a bobtail is to make the pistol butt not stick out as much during CCW so that it does not "print".

Leadhead
July 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
might be more comfortable to if you've got love handles...

beretta-neo
July 13, 2009, 02:50 PM
Springfield CUstom does it, as I have seen people mention sending their guns in.

It's $150-$200, depending on who you get to do it.

Nighthawk works on people's guns too (other brands). Call them and work it out. Under $200 for sure.

9mmepiphany
July 13, 2009, 03:22 PM
originally posted by Southern6er -
As posted, doing a bobtail, buying parts, refinishing (unless stainless), adds up pretty quick. I priced a bobtail out on my Kimber (along with a few other upgrades/mods) and it would be cheaper for me to just get a Dan Wesson CBOB.

I THINK I'll try to talk my wife into that or REALLY going out for an Ed Brown.

you'd be better served by the Dan Wesson too...both in function and value

Quack
July 13, 2009, 03:24 PM
with the bobtail the but is reduced to the size of the Officer size. it's more comfy since there's less of the butt sticking me in the ribs.

9mmepiphany
July 13, 2009, 03:24 PM
I don't think that it adds anything towards increased comfort since the difference in weight is negligible. The purpose of a bobtail is to make the pistol butt not stick out as much during CCW so that it does not "print".

if you wear your 1911 in a holster with a cant, the bobtail keeps it from poking you in the ribs

CWL
July 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
Different body shapes I reckon, since I've never felt any "rib-tickling" from a carry pistol.

bigmike45
July 13, 2009, 04:11 PM
Nice Gun Quack!!!

Quack
July 14, 2009, 05:49 PM
thanks!

HammerheadSSN663
July 14, 2009, 10:29 PM
I actually have the DW CBOB. It not only prints less, the comfort in holding blows the standard 1911 frame totally away.

wditto
July 14, 2009, 10:47 PM
since I carry mine at 2:o'clock, it's the hammer spur that gets my ribs, or in my case, my spare tire, but the Bobbed frame does make it more comfortable to shoot

If you enjoyed reading about "CBOB Conversion Kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!