My home defense rifle set-up.

PDA

SaxonPig
July 12, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've been relying on a highly modified 338 Winchester self-loading Browning Auto Rifle with a custom 30 round magazine but I am uncomfortable with having only 30 rounds available without a reload.

I'm thinking that I need a 7.62x51 rifle with a 90 round drum magazine for patrolling my hallway. I realize this is stepping down in caliber so I'm looking for some exploding bullets to make up the difference but I may have settle for something else due to legal issues with the bang-bang bullets. I also worry that my insurance may not pay if I burn my house down with the incendiaries I picked up at the last show.

If I can find a load using a 220 grain bullet with tiny projecting knife blades that spin with the bullet and rip the target in half as they pass through at 4,000 FPS do you think this will be sufficient for home defense or should I pick up that 20mm cannon I've had my eye on?

If you enjoyed reading about "My home defense rifle set-up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P.B.Walsh
July 12, 2009, 04:49 PM
Whats the point of this thread???!!!?!!!

jhco
July 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
If fyou feel that's enough then more power to you, but I might tend to feel under gunned with that set up. I personally would get dual RPG launchers.

Float Pilot
July 12, 2009, 04:54 PM
Whats the point of this thread???!!!?!!!

Tongue & cheeck.

Although just about as realistic as some of the other threads that have gone through here.

j-easy
July 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
if you don't have any pets i recommend setting up some claymore mines in the hallway before you fall asleep, just in case

Z-Michigan
July 12, 2009, 05:01 PM
You need a BFG-9000. Anything else just won't cut it.

P.B.Walsh
July 12, 2009, 05:08 PM
Ok then I'll play, I have a 40mm grenade launcher at one end of the hallway with HE rounds, beside my bed is a M14 with a M203 and 5 HE grenades for it in case I need to "rally", And at the ebd of the hallway I got a M240 with 200 rounds in case the fight goes outside. Out side there is a minefield for 20 yards, and on the sidedoor there are bobby- trapped clamores. And I sleep with a 35lb tactical vest on with 1 .500 S&W revolvers with 5 extra rounds, 5 stuns grenades, and 5 HE grenades. :evil:

Elbert P . Suggins
July 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
By God, the only way to protect you and family is 4 Cambodian trip wires. The first at the main entrance and the rest at the back door, garage, and kitchen entrance. Protect your fridge and kids at all costs.

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
July 12, 2009, 05:22 PM
Go with the 20mm Vulcan you had your eyes on. Be sure to use frangible bullets, since they may tend to over penetrate a little bit. Remember to always know what is behind your target.

Something you might not have thought of, is flame throwers. they are not technically firearms (FIREarms) in the eyes of the ATF. So no paperwork or FFL transfers. They are also good on holidays when your wife is googling new methods for cooking turkeys.

brassdog
July 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
Why stop there?
Enlist the neighbors as your personal defense squad! Rig the exterior with tiger pits and claymores...
Then, don't forget the 155mm artillery support and napalm air strikes!
After that, you can move in to secure the perimeter and get that last piece of fried chicken in the fridge.:)

THE DARK KNIGHT
July 12, 2009, 05:31 PM
Why stop there?
Enlist the neighbors as your personal defense squad! Rig the exterior with tiger pits and claymores...
Then, don't forget the 155mm artillery support and napalm air strikes!
After that, you can move in to secure the perimeter and get that last piece of fried chicken in the fridge.

Would also be a good idea to surround the yard in an electric barbed wire 12 foot fence with a guard tower (sniper with 50bmg in it of course) and teach the kids to use mortar launchers as well.

Warner
July 12, 2009, 05:44 PM
Your situation seems to preclude the need for just a mere rifle. While some ideas here are a bit "out-there", may I suggest the following.

Except for a few safe spots known to just you and your family, install a switch that unlatches your flooring areas and drops anyone on it into a basement of hot oil.

Side benefit;
Not exactly best set-up for energy savings during the summer months, but just having it in place it should really help temper those winter heating bills.

And besides, family pets can become rather boring after a while. Why not recycle?

W

gondorian
July 12, 2009, 05:46 PM
While I agree that those weapons are marginally satisfactory any competent defender of the home will employ 24/7 guards, armed with aforementioned weapons, and if possible these guards should be 100% loyal robots with titanium armor.

ds92
July 12, 2009, 05:56 PM
i dont even bother with the guns amymore. I just have some B-52's patrolling the skies over my house ready to carpet bomb my neighborhood in case somebody breaks in.

crebralfix
July 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
I think you should meet up with Gecko45 and find out his secret techniques on duct taping rifle plates to more "difficult" portions of the body.

BMF500
July 12, 2009, 06:05 PM
How about a moat with friggin' sharks with friggin' lasers on their heads?

P.B.Walsh
July 12, 2009, 06:08 PM
rotf lmfao!!!!! :):):):):):)

MJR007
July 12, 2009, 06:20 PM
Get some geese and nothing will get through.

And they taste great...

RonE
July 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
Arm yourself with a 12 ga shotgun loaded with flashette(sp?) rounds. The shotgun must be black, have a short barrel and a long magazine, a flashlight, a lazer, a way to hold extra ammo on the gun itself and should be a pump action so that in makes a loud noise when a shell is loaded in the chamber. (I use an automatic shotgun and keep a shell in the chamber, I am not trying to scare anyone with noise.)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2009, 06:57 PM
Phalanx or bust!

The Deer Hunter
July 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
Motes are good for keeping the black nights at bay, at the very least.

DRYHUMOR
July 12, 2009, 07:04 PM
Saxon, your fire power just isn't up to snuff. I think you need to do a serious re evaluation.

I'd venture, your not going to show us pics of the Browning anti personnel rifle...

are ya?

MJR007
July 12, 2009, 07:22 PM
I hope he does not. WE may want one........

Deltaboy
July 12, 2009, 07:33 PM
ROFL you guys are on a roll tonight.

I have a Quad 50 in the Garage.............................................. I wish!

SrGomez
July 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
moats huh? nice.

goon
July 12, 2009, 08:30 PM
Must be a bunch of terrible marksmen...
I feel fine with a .357 revolver and a lever action 30-30 close at hand.

Phydeaux642
July 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
I feel perfectly safe armed with my anger and a stick. (Of course I just had some stolen from me this week and I am stilll seething).

Matrix187
July 12, 2009, 11:13 PM
I pay for an AC-130 Spectre gunship to circle my property and watch the perimeter with thermal detection. Anyone who crosses my property line without a strobing light is gone, unfortunately.

bad_aim_billy
July 12, 2009, 11:26 PM
Not to brag, but I have access to a .22 rifle!!!!!!!!

P.B.Walsh
July 12, 2009, 11:53 PM
yea, a .22mm cannon!!! :neener:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
moats huh? nice.

No. Not moats - "Motes".

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Motes

junyo
July 13, 2009, 12:29 AM
Russian suitcase nuke planted under the house. Rigged to a dead man's switch, carried clinched in one of my fists at all times. Flaming oil jets covering the front porch, and three rear doors, none of which are real. I usually enter or exit through a tunnel I dug over into the neighbor's basement. Caltrops randomly sprinkled on my yard, and that of all neighbors within a one block radius, which makes lawn maintenance quite the adventure. I've got some L9 anti-tank mines that I plan on laying across the subdivision's busy intersections/avenues of approach, then I think I'm good.

Darn it. I forgot to buy a gun. I hear good things about .22 LR as an SD round. Opinions?

mypps
July 13, 2009, 12:54 AM
my vote goes for the rocket propelled chainsaw.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn44/totally_stock_civic/Rocket_Propelled_Chainsaw.jpg
and if that doesn't stop them, i have knife fighting lobsters and flying sharks in the moat around the house.

Ignition Override
July 13, 2009, 01:03 AM
A bright light to illuminate the person (family?) is the first objective.

A security alarm goes off in our house for no reason, and it is brand-new.
Not kidding about any of this.
The rest of one's life will seem like an eternity if a tragic mistake is made.

Nematocyst
July 13, 2009, 01:06 AM
You are all small potatoes except for the B-52's (too slow for emergencies) and the Russian suitcase nuke
(isn't that likely to cause overpenetration?; lawyers would grill you for that).

RPG? Pppfffttt.

I use one of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:155fire.jpg) as my bedside table, pointed at the bedroom door.

jgibbs
July 13, 2009, 01:35 AM
I agree with the BFG-9000

cameron.personal
July 13, 2009, 01:40 AM
The original poster asks a valid question and you guys make fun like school children, you should be damn ashamed of yourselves!!

I'm thinking that I need a 7.62x51 rifle with a 90 round drum magazine for patrolling my hallway.

I decided on the same thing and went with a highly modified FAL that is actually chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum and uses a modified drum magazine from the AA12 shotgun this allows me to have a semi auto rifle chambered in a decent man killing round, and having 60 rounds on tap. But also plan to use the new mini fin stabilized warheads that socoms developed for the .338 Lapua Magnum, obviously these are not available to the general public but I have a friend who is a Navy SEA LION and he has promised he will get me some for my HD needs.

Cameron

Pack
July 13, 2009, 03:06 AM
You gentlemen have it all wrong. It's about mindset and shot placement!!

You just have to develop nerves of steel, and shoot 1,000 practice rounds per day through your Cobra chambered in .32 ACP. :D

Oh, and duct tape some extra ballistic-grade ceramic plates to your back. :neener:

JohnnyOrygun
July 13, 2009, 03:50 AM
I like Matrix187's idea, nothing says protection like a 105mm cannon, (2) 20mm vulcans and (2) 40mm bofors all airborne and ready to make hamburger out of any trespassers! Plus there is no over penetration issues, the ground is their back drop and I don't think even a 105mm cannon will penetrate all the way to China.

C-grunt
July 13, 2009, 04:49 AM
Shoot son....... I got Chuck Norris armed with a 1911!

praharin
July 13, 2009, 01:27 PM
I don't believe in the use of firearms for killing. I have a small pack of wolves (7 of them) and 2 large tigers that patrol my home while I sleep.

I live in a really bad neighborhood, so they never go hungry

In the event that we are raided by some PH from Africa, and he makes it past my first lines of defense, there is a squad sized element of Spec Ops trained ferrets that sleep in a net in the corner above my bedroom door. They are both for companionship, and defense.

:D

:D

P.B.Walsh
July 13, 2009, 01:50 PM
:):):):):):):) this stuff is *FUNNY*!!!!!!!! :):):):):):)

Shear_stress
July 13, 2009, 02:10 PM
The sight of a groggy, unshaven Shear Stress sporting a pair of Wal-Mart boxers is more than enough to make all but the most determined intruder turn tail. Plan B: board with a nail in it.

Even if that mental image isn't enough to haunt you till the end of your days, it's probably enough to lock this thread.

SaxonPig
July 13, 2009, 02:12 PM
In addition to the home defense rifle I also have two Glock 28s (one for each hand) with 40 round magazines in mattress holsters for access while laying in the bed. I have a pair of Gerber fighting knives with 8" blades (again, two hands, folks) and on the nightstand is a set of brass knuckles (actually, I'm pretty sure they are made of aluminum). I used to keep a bullet-proof vest hanging on the bedpost to don when arising to investigate noises in the dark but I realized that takes too long so now I just sleep in it.

I have lights strung throughout the house and in case invaders cut the power and I have a 5,000 watt generator in the corner of the bedroom to power them. But when I start the 10 horse power engine on the generator it makes so much noise I have trouble listening for sounds of movement. I will have to work on this problem.

RP88
July 13, 2009, 02:21 PM
I don't try to go overboard with caliber, so I just stay in the 40 watt range

DAdams
July 13, 2009, 02:53 PM
live in a rough little rural community. Pulled together a few buddies and a couple cases of PBR and threw this little number together out of some spare farm equipment one weekend.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/dadams111/traktorws5.jpg

We are working on an IR detection/tracking system out of some X10 Components. Remember when you were a kid and wanted a remote control lawn mower.....

JFrame
July 13, 2009, 02:59 PM
Oh -- this thread is satire...I get it now! :D

I was afraid for a moment that the O.P. was serious about confronting home invaders with such anemic hardware. In my neighborhood, where meth-crazed, steroid-injected bodybuilding psycho-killers are as plentiful as weeds, the quad-.50 is the only way to go -- backed up by a nice, portable Howdah pistol in .600 Nitro Express, of course...

junyo
July 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
the Russian suitcase nuke
(isn't that likely to cause overpenetration?; lawyers would grill you for that).Lawyers? You should have seen how far up my butt the EPA was when I tested fired one. Have to say the rangemaster was none too happy either. But you never test your life to a weapon you're not proficient with and who's function you have not tested.

Also, the reloads are a genuine PITA to get.

JImbothefiveth
July 13, 2009, 04:00 PM
I'm actually having trouble deciding. Though I have class VIV armor as well as a missile-defense system to put on my firearm, I can't decide on the gun. Should I use the full-auto 40mm with or a bolt-action 17hm2 and just worry about shot placement?

praharin
July 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
get yourself a good tactical holster for that 40mm, and carry it as a secondary

lobo9er
July 13, 2009, 04:11 PM
Its funny cuz no matter the rig people mention for self defense here theres someone that can't wait to tell them it wont suffice. to small, to big, to bulky, slow reload, under penetration, over penetration, etc

30mag
July 13, 2009, 04:13 PM
Have you considered pungi pits?

praharin
July 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
I did, but was forced to fill them in after the third paperboy...

krs
July 13, 2009, 06:04 PM
I couldn't get enough firepower, and no matter what I bought I still couldn't sleep. I'd sit in the living room surrounded by pretty heavy weaponry, the alarms set and the dogs loose out roaming my 12 acre plot of ground watching all seven seasons of "The West Wing" over and over, wishing it could be true. It wasn't enough no matter how much PTSD therapy I went to at the vet center. Even their Thorazine didn't help me sleep.

Four packs of Marlboros every night got kinda' expensive so I decided to start digging a bunker to sleep in. I have a good backhoe tractor so every day I'd make progress, until the sides of my hole started caving back in all the time at about 20 feet down. That meant shoring and when each side got deep enough the shoring could be filled with cement. So that's what I did - forty feet down, and now under my house, I decided to close it all in. I built framed pour molds eight feet thick and called the cement folks. They were only too happy to help and seemed to understand my problem with sleeping. I felt like I wasn't the only one in the area who had done a project like this.

Then water and plumbing, electricity and air pumps, and it's all such a long story but as it is now I'm forty feet below my house while my wife is making dinner in the kitchen. She'll call me when it's ready.

I keep adding to this, making it better. I now have a driveway into it and park my truck inside. There's a steel door, sorta', that's fourteen feet thick and able to withstand a 20 megaton blast, according to the vault guy who sold it to me. It's an amazing thing, really, you can swing it with one finger but don't get that digit caught in the door, boy howdy!

So now I'm getting about three hours a night. I sleep pretty good until I have to piss again. Somehow I got old building this underground fort of mine.

We'll know from alarms if they're here but they'll never be able to get us down here. We'll be able to sit here and laugh at them. I've even got a mike and system set up so I can talk to the AH's who come to rob and kill me, but I wish they'd come soon.

I've spent my entire life's fortune to be safe but you know, no one has ever even come to the door to peddle religion.

Ohio Gun Guy
July 13, 2009, 06:20 PM
I would get an M1 Abrams and sit in the drive way.

Diamondback6
July 13, 2009, 08:03 PM
I have Gecko45, Paul Blart, Dick Marcinko and MacGyver on panic-button speed-dial. lol

lobo9er
July 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
i would buy a t-1000

Art Eatman
July 13, 2009, 08:32 PM
At the end of three pages, as in 75 posts, this thread will self-destruct...

John Parker
July 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
A revolving BP cannon, with cannister shot. A shoulder stock to go with it would work well too.

tactikel
July 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
Holland & Holland double rifle .600 nitro express -solids of course. When I lived in an apartment I loaded soft points to guard against overpenetration. :what:

Drue
July 13, 2009, 09:18 PM
How is Elvis? Have you spoken with him lately?

Just kidding! The OP was great! Thanks.

Drue

farmallmta
July 13, 2009, 09:37 PM
Nah, no firearms needed.

You just need a quality ghost or some upper class zombies. Everybody knows that crooks and home-invaders of all stripes are terrified of ghouls and spooks, right? So just go get friendly with some and invite them to hang out at your place and frighten the nogoodniks to death if they come around uninvited.

Problem solved. ;)

hawmanai
July 13, 2009, 11:00 PM
I've got a group of these boys trained up, hardest part was finding weapons they could handle and still do some damage.

Best part is they work for peanuts!

http://secret.extrarisk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/squirrel-commando.jpg

browna09
July 13, 2009, 11:28 PM
get yourself a nice red-ryder BB gun and call it a day

farmallmta
July 13, 2009, 11:35 PM
get yourself a nice red-ryder BB gun and call it a day

He'll shoot his eye out, kid!

Better get a scary pink bunny costume instead. That'll scare 'em off.

chudykGT
July 13, 2009, 11:41 PM
At first I used dual automatic shotguns, using nothing but 00 bucks and rifled slugs. Then I upgraded to the aformentioned rocket propelled chainsaw. But to save on the cost of ammo, and fuel, I now use the following:
Upon tripping the infared beam that crosses the hallway door, the crazed body-builder meth addict axe murderer falls through the pit-fall into a room filled with west-nile infected misquitoes, who also have mad cow disease.

Ignition Override
July 14, 2009, 12:12 AM
DAdams:

You might need that in one or two rural counties just southeast of Memphis.
Many of the criminals commute across the state line, and some country roads are in bad areas, as witnessed by some people we know.

maskedman504
July 14, 2009, 12:16 AM
Squirrels? Really?

Mine have opposable thumbs. :rolleyes:

http://mbspike.com/Monkey%20Ops.jpg

Eightball
July 14, 2009, 12:18 AM
Sounds like a flamethrower's needed. Zero recoil, and an almost guaranteed immolation of your target.....especially if your target involves your house in any way.

BornAgainBullseye
July 14, 2009, 12:29 AM
Ive got a bamboo pitfall at the front door. the saferoom has a RARDEN cannon with a FLIR scope. At any given time there is no less than 3 satellites giving me realtime intel to my blackberry. When all else fails lets just say when I go swimming I dont hold my breath..... I hold air hostage.. if ya catch my drift.

krs
July 14, 2009, 08:31 AM
Somewhere near Tacoma, WA there IS a house with a 40 ft deep underground shelter that was built to be safe in a nuclear attack. It had a huge steel vault door and eight foot thick walls and top cover with a somewhat mundane looking ranch style house above it.

I know of it because it was listed for sale in ebay some eight or nine years ago. The pictures showed a very extensive layout of underground rooms with a fully filtered air system, sewage system, and electrical system with self generation - all invisible from the street. It really was huge down there.

Not too far from Boeing, it had been built by some very concerned citizen. At the time it was listed, for $369,000 as best I remember, I was fascinated by it and joked with my wife about us buying it as we were in the middle of shopping properties up here in Southern Washington.

Now sometimes I wish I had gone for it even though I can't much stand the Tacoma area traffic and crowding. It had room for an underground range and it must have been nice and quiet down there.

goldie
July 14, 2009, 12:29 PM
how about a pit bull on pcp with AIDS roaming your hallway ?:what:

cameron.personal
July 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
how about a pit bull on pcp with AIDS roaming your hallway ?

I used to date a girl that fit that description perfectly.

Cameron

Avtomat Kalashnikova
July 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
my HD is currently a full auto 105mm cannon that i can carry in my pocket, but i feel that is not sufficient as home invaders have been known to come in battleships, i'm thinking of upgrading to a rifle that fires nukes, i'll have to get the .22 conversion so i can practice cheaper.

Reid73
July 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
Best thread in a long time! :D:D:D

Sad thing is, I bet you some people take the original post seriously ... plenty of paranoids out there, living in constant dread of zombie attacks.

peck1234
July 14, 2009, 03:19 PM
LOL!

copaup
July 14, 2009, 03:23 PM
Remember, your rifle is just to fight your way back to your thermonuclear warhead.

H2O MAN
July 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
I have it mounted out by the shed.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/ord_phalanx_c-ram_lg.jpg

Devilfrog
July 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
I had the old 280mm Atomic Annie installed in my house, I keep a dozen beehive rounds :eek: for it and a couple nuke rounds. Haven't had any problems since! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "My home defense rifle set-up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!