pedersoli sharps question

PDA

oklahoma caveman
July 13, 2009, 12:20 AM
will a pedersoli sharps rifle withstand modern loadings or should i stick with the load data for the weaker actions?

If you enjoyed reading about "pedersoli sharps question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
StrawHat
July 13, 2009, 07:14 AM
Pedersoli Sharps and any Sharps are considered to have a moderately strong action. Stay away from the Ruger and Siamese loads. If you get the chance, read the article in the Handloaders Digest by Ken Waters. (When I find the issue, I will better cite the reference) It details most of the load info you are requesting.

Uncle Mike
July 13, 2009, 09:08 AM
Best bet....contact Pedersoli and put that question to them, also they will provide you with written documentation concerning the type, quality, strength, ect... of the loads authorized in their firearms.

It pays to be safe-

:D

Sunray
July 13, 2009, 09:23 AM
Pedersoli Sharps rifles are black powder cartridge rifles. There's BP load data on their site.

ArmedBear
July 13, 2009, 09:53 AM
Buffalo Bore specifically names the Pedersoli as a rifle safe to use with its .45-70 Magnum ammo. That implies it will definitely handle modern loads.

That said, people who want to pump up the .45-70 like that probably haven't ever used the black powder loads on anything.

The Sharps is a falling-block single shot, not ideal for a dangerous game gun. However, what it WILL do is shoot HEAVY bullets. That's its greatest strength.

Pedersoli Sharps replica, 68 grains of GOEX, 525 grain (or so) bullet from a Lyman mold, part wheelweight, part pure lead. 80 yards, one-shot drop, bullet went straight through and kept going. Still have some meat, over 1 1/2 years later.

You don't need modern velocity to make that heavy bullet work. What you REALLY don't need in a .45-70, for hunting game, is an expanding bullet.

http://ellie.crankylabs.com/albums/familyetc/IMG_3071.thumb.jpg

I'd be more interested in the bullets the thing will shoot, and getting to know the trajectory, than trying to push light bullets as fast as possible. 405 grains is a light bullet, BTW, in this context.

Smokeless powder is convenient to avoid corrosion and to make cleaning less urgent. It kinda sucks to shoot something like an elk or larger at sunset, have to field dress it on no dinner, and THEN have to clean the rifle...:)

But the point of hot .45-70 loads, to me, is to make a Guide Gun into a more viable DG rifle. The Pedersoli has other merits.

Fairshake
July 27, 2009, 11:36 PM
Armed Bear , Why would you say that you would have to clean your BP Sharps after shooting an elk? Did I read or maybe I mis- understood your post. I 'm new to your forum and came across your post. I'm a BP shooter since 1971 and I shoot 3 CAS matches a month with BP loads. I sometimes such as now shoot on Saturday and don't clean till Tuesday. My guns are like new and show no ill effects. Later David

If you enjoyed reading about "pedersoli sharps question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!