Spiller and Burr reference

PDA

BHP FAN
July 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
Recently,while discussing Spiller and Burr revolvers,I failed to give credit where it was due.Some of the info was from Confederate Long arms and Pistols,by Richard Hill,and William Anthony,but by far the bulk was from Dr Matthew Norman ,and the website I found it at was http://www.csarmory.org/spiller/spiller.html which is just fascinating reading,if you are at all into black powder revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spiller and Burr reference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madcratebuilder
July 14, 2009, 08:44 AM
You need to read "The Confederate Brass-framed Colt & Whitney" by Willam A Albaugh III. First published in 1955 and a reprint in 1993. It has copies of many of the letters between these different manufacturers and the CSA government. It has a photo of a Griswold & Gunnison copy of a 51 Navy, with a top strap that attached to the back side of the recoil shield.

BHP FAN
July 14, 2009, 09:50 AM
What no Tucker & Sherrard,or Schneider & Glassick? Seriously,though I've worn out the Library's copy,and really should ''bite the bullet'', quit being such a cheap S.O.B., and get my own...

madcratebuilder
July 15, 2009, 09:35 AM
The Tucker & Sherrard is an interesting story. They received a lot of investment capital from the CSA for what few revolvers they produced. Apparently they 'sold' positions of employment, if you worked at war production you are exempt from the draft.

BHP FAN
July 15, 2009, 10:47 AM
OOH! An interesting tid bit I had never heard!Thank you for that,MCB! I REALLY love history in general,and Civil War history in particular,and a ''pearl'' like that is a rare find.Wait 'til I tell my brother!I bet he never heard that one!

If you enjoyed reading about "Spiller and Burr reference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!