Sig P239

PDA

jwalker497
July 13, 2009, 03:51 PM
I've handled a few Brand new 239s lately and on every one, the Slide Release is impossible to work. I can't get it it to release, I need to work the slide to cock. It's very small and it's very tightly fitted to the slide. I always thought Glocks were hard to work, but this is way worse! I was thinking about getting one but not if the release wont work. Of course, the sales person said it would get better, but I don't see how it would. Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone purchased a new one recently and can elaborate, does it get better? By the way, not too long ago, I saw a used one that was made in early 2000's and the slide release seemed larger, more like the 226/229's release and was much easier to work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P239" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fumbler
July 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
Many people (including me) will tell you that you shouldn't be using the slide stop like this and instead you should be sling shoting the slide.
If this is how you operate a gun then it doesn't matter if you can or can't press the slide stop to release the slide.

If you do like to use the slide stop to release the slide then it will get easier to do that as the slide stop notch in the slide itself wears. So yes, it will get better over time as you use it.

If you buy a new one then you could find a spare old one and replace it.
You can also carefully file the slide stop notch, but I don't suggest doing that.

MadMercS55
July 13, 2009, 07:24 PM
I've noticed the same thing on several newer US made Sig pistols, most recent a P220 and P229 I handled at the range. On the German made pistols it's a non-issue, even with the P239. Although the generally preferred method is to use the overhand or similar method to release the slide and not use the lever. The lever will work in after awhile, as the coating wears off and such.

AK103K
July 13, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm assuming you were looking at an empty gun. Many if not most guns with an empty mag in them tend to be harder to release than if the mag is loaded.

I usually slingshot my guns, but I have no troubles dropping the slide with the slide stop on my P239 with a loaded mag in the gun.

raskolnikov_22
July 13, 2009, 10:02 PM
I would take the slide off and make sure you can move the release up and down smoothly. It's a long part that extends from near the rear of the gun to in front of the trigger and is concealed in the frame so it could just as easily be binding somewhere in there as on the slide.

DBR
July 15, 2009, 12:15 AM
"slingshoting" the slide is the better method, but try pushing the slide stop down without a mag in the gun. With an empty mag in the gun you are trying to push the magazine follower down with the slide release. This is pretty hard to do on most semiauto pistols.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P239" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!