Rubber grips - and shirt hang-up ....

PDA

P95Carry
October 23, 2003, 12:04 PM
This is something I did not have when using wood grips (talkin snub revo here BTW) ..... I have become aware with rubber grips that after sitting in truck, maybe bending a little .... the grips somewhat stick to shirt and then on straightening up again ..... seem to allow a small fold to stay between grips and body. Thus in effect tending to emphasize the butt and maybe profile/print, because shirt no longer hangs free .... until ''adjusted'' of course!

This is with OWB but I have a feeling it could happen just same with IWB.

Any comments/advice from you guys with rubber grips?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rubber grips - and shirt hang-up ...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
October 23, 2003, 12:24 PM
Are these new grips that are hanging, or ones that have been carried for a bit that you suspect heat ( weather/body) is the problem?

Reason I ask is yes some grips are really "tacky" when new and hang easy, after a bit , less tacky , and don't grab.

On revos I prefer wood. I have some ladies that prefer the rubber and they use baking soda ( remove grips from gun) and briskly with a toothbrush remove the tackiness. I learned something, it works. They just make a paste, scrub, rinse, dry.

Even though I prefer Wood- I like and use the Kimber factory rubber grips on different 1911 style I carry IWB , they never grabbed even when new. Now the Pac's and Houges are thicker,( to my feel don't like) and even after a bit people that have them say they grab.

Probably the composition of rubber, and its reaction to sweat/heat/clothing.

Try the soda...these gals educated me.

P95Carry
October 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
re1973 ..... thx for reply and comments. I shall for sure try the soda trick .... sounds like it could well help.

The rubber is a sorta ''mixed blessing'' .. these are indeed new grips (on an SP101) .... and despite the hang-up probs I do like them a lot ... simply because of the positiveness of the hold from the draw ... feel more ''secure''.

Viva the ''gals''! :p

Mike Irwin
October 23, 2003, 01:05 PM
I've never had a problem with this in all of the years that I've carried handguns with rubber grips.

Unisaw
October 23, 2003, 02:27 PM
You might want to try a pair of Hogue Monogrips. They are not very tacky and, although longer that the factory grips, seem to conceal better.

P95Carry
October 23, 2003, 03:00 PM
Unisaw , thx .. I have considered Hogue's before .. i think maybe I will try this route.

C.R.Sam
October 23, 2003, 03:24 PM
The ladies straighten their skirts when rising from seated position.
I straighten my coat or shirt.

Sam

Blueduck
October 23, 2003, 11:33 PM
See it all the time around the office where a lot of folks carry small revolvers strongside. Everytime they bend over to get a file...

Seems inside waist band holsters are better about not doing this. My solution to the whole affair has been Ahrends or Spegels ;)

George Hill
October 24, 2003, 01:47 AM
Yeah right, Sam... go ahead and tell them "It's a Kilt". :p

I've had some guns with rubber grips that would hang up even a heavy coat. It was annoying. Wood grips don't hang up like rubber grips do and they really do look a lot better.

Island Beretta
October 26, 2003, 10:56 PM
Carry hogue rubbers and have had no problems with hanging.:evil:

Double Naught Spy
October 27, 2003, 10:54 AM
How do the rubber grips handle when wet, oily, or covered with blood? One of the big drawbacks I have noticed is that while most do okay wet, oil and blood make them extremely slippery.

P95Carry
October 27, 2003, 12:12 PM
How do the rubber grips handle when wet, oily, or covered with blood? DNS ....... I fancy they will be no worse ... in fact marginally better, than wood ... at least plain wood. Can't speak for blood aspect :p

If the rubber ones have some ''knobbles'' or wood have some checkering . then this helps but on balance ...... I think rubber will score over wood. JMO.

Flashpoint
October 27, 2003, 12:18 PM
Never had the problem with the Hogues on my p239. Even if I did I would have to find away around it, because I do not care for the way the gun feel without them.

Mike Irwin
October 27, 2003, 12:39 PM
I know the answer to that question.

Any type of film on any grip is going to reduce your ability to hold it because it reduces friction.

Of the 3 on rubber grips, though, none make the gun unmanagable.

sm
October 27, 2003, 01:12 PM
Wood or rubber...
blood is slick, then becomes tacky.
Did learn how to get a "non-slip" feel , regardless if wood/rubber or checkered/smooth...student spills a huge soda on table at the range.
Didn't matter, once you had a hold of it, you had it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rubber grips - and shirt hang-up ...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!