What rifle have you truly "bonded" with?

PDA

MacTech
July 13, 2009, 05:20 PM
Do you have a rifle that is the absolute favorite in your collection, one you "love" over all the others, that you spend the most time at the range or out in the field with? one that you lavish accessories on and feed it high-end ammo?

in short, what is your true, absolute favorite rifle?

For me, it would be my Savage Mark II-G .22LR rimfire, it started as just a simple plinking/target shooting rifle to replace the 10/22 I had grown to loathe (*HORRIBLE* LawyerTrigger, random, unpredictable FTE and FTF jams, even with the factory Ruger rotaries, dear Og how I got to hate that gun), I was looking for a gun with a decent trigger that didn't feel like I was pulling on a brick wall, the 10/22's trigger was so bad that many times I had to check to see if the safety had inadvertently engaged, the pull was that hard....

anyway, I traded it for my Savege Mark II-G, as soon as I shouldered it, I knew it was the right one for me, my first gun, given to me as a birtday gift at 16 was a Marlin 25 7 shot bolt with the Microgroove barrel, I loved that gun, and was deadly with it, a few years back, I traded it for a paintball marker for some Ogforsaken reason which I'll never forgive myself for

anyway, I've always been a boltgun guy at heart, the MKII-G had very similar lines to the Marlin 25, so that already made me positively biased towards it, it just felt *right*

I made the trade, had my Bushnell 3-9x 32mm scope mounted and boresighted, put on a Shooters Ridge 9-13" bipod, and took it to the range, had it sighted in in 3 3 shot groups at 50 yards, then proceeded to shoot reasonably tiny groups with it on that first trip out, this thing is a tackdriver even out of the box, the ergos are great, it reminds me of my old beloved Marlin 25, and everything just works right on it, it feels like it was custom-made for me

I've dropped the trigger pull to approx. 2.5# (AccuTrigger set to minimum) installed the Shooter's Ridge bipod and the sling from my Savage 111 .30-06, and am very happy with it's performance, it's more accurate than the old 10/22, and it's trigger is light-years better, simply put, it's a *great* gun, no, strike that, it's an *awesome* gun, a real shooter, easily the most accurate gun I have shot yet, on a scale of 1-10, it's an 11

In the past, my .22 rifles were simply *there*, even the old Marlin 25 never truly thrilled me, the 10/22 actually pissed me off, yet every time I pull the trigger on my little Savage Mark II-G, I can't help but grin, it's made .22 shooting fun again, and it's the only gun so far that I've actually entertained the idea of upgrading....

yes, it's a mass-produced, bare bones $185 .22 rifle, yet I'm planning on upgrading it because it's such a great shooter.

I'll be putting on a better scope (currently it sports a Bushnell Sportsman that the 10/22 wore) even though the Sportsman works just fine, a fine shooting gun like my II-G *deserves* some better glass, I'll probably put a Nikon zoom scope of some kind on it, I have a Nikon F4S 35mm pro camera that I've always been happy with, I have a set of Nikon Sportview 10X50 binocs that work great, and I'm generally a Nikon guy at heart)

I'll be upgrading the stock at some point to a thumbhole version, as I both like the looks of the thumbhole stock, and I imagine they help with the accuracy as well

I'll even start feeding it some of the nice high-end target ammo as the occasional "snack", even though it shoots just fine with Winchester 333 and other bulk ammo, so far, I have yet to find ammo it doesn't like (aside from Augila SSS, that is)

Yes, I *could* simply buy a Savage Mark II BTVS and call it good, I know I'll be putting more into this gun than it's retail worth, but it's such a great shooter that this doesn't bother me at all, heck, even the stock replacement would be optional, all it really needs is some nice glass and a diet of decent target ammo

If I was to have all my firearms on, lets say, oh, I don't know, a *boat*, and the boat was to, lets say, have an.... accident, and I could only save one long arm and one handgun, I'd save my Savage Mark II-G and my Kimber Custom II .45ACP....

So, what rifle are you "unreasonably" attached to?

If you enjoyed reading about "What rifle have you truly "bonded" with?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juk
July 13, 2009, 05:32 PM
I am not "unreasonably" attached to any of my firearms yet. Although I don't know why, my CZ 452 in 22lr has been stealthily creeping up to the #1 spot. :)

MCgunner
July 13, 2009, 05:32 PM
Grandpa's old 722 Remington in .257 Roberts is the absolute LAST gun I'll give up as the ATF is busting down the door. I like my M7 Stainless in .308 a lot, but that old 722 is the one I'd fight over with the G men. Actually, I'll fight over all of 'em from the gun grabbers, I'm just sayin'. :D Don't hurt that the ol' 722 is 3/4 moa accurate STILL after all these years and it's the gun I shot my first whitetail with at age 11 and a couple of dozen deer after that before I decided I wanted to try other rifles.

DRYHUMOR
July 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
I don't play favorites. It's just not fair. ;)

Vern Humphrey
July 13, 2009, 05:50 PM
Lemee think:

Rimfire, it's the Gae Bolga, my M82 Kimber, closely followed by my M1922 MKII Springfield.

Centerfire, it's Bigfoot Wallace my custom '03 Springfield in .35 Brown-Whelen, followed by Fionn MacCumhail, my pre-war Winchester Model 70 in .30-06.

Pony Express
July 13, 2009, 06:44 PM
definatly my Colt Match Target HBAR. my first AR and my favorite rifle :rolleyes:

P.B.Walsh
July 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
My grandad's Remington model 34 in .22 S/L/LR, it's my little baby, and still quote deadly against spent shotgun shells after all these years. :):):):)

Raptorq7r13
July 13, 2009, 07:19 PM
My guns are like most people's children: I love them all!

That being said, the FAL I'm planning on getting next month will probably occupy the top slot.

FlyinBryan
July 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
easy.

not my ruger, not my bushmaster, nor was it my colt match target rifle.

its my '44 springfield m1

junyo
July 13, 2009, 07:24 PM
My first Enfield, a sporterized No 4, M1. It's heavy, it's ugly, and Lord know's the ammo's not cheap, but I love that gun.

Avenger29
July 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
CZ 452. Easily worth the premium over the entry level rimfires from Winchester, Remington, Marlin, Savage, Mossberg, etc. Very high quality, great accuracy, great CS.

Marlin 336. Grandaddy's .30-30 that he passed down to me. I put XS Ghost ring sights and a scout rail on it, mods that have helped really make it a smooth and slick shooter.

My AR-15. Accurate, easy to shoot, easy maintenance. tons of fun, minsicule amount of recoil.

Just throw a longer range precision rifle in there (I'm thinking the FNAR or a Remington 700 in .308) and I could easily live my entire life without purchasing another rifle.

Course, I do want a couple of more .22s (marlin 39 and Remington 572) and maybe a .357 Marlin 1894. But those are fluff...

I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to guns. Not as extreme as some, but just a few easily satisfy my desires.

Ky Larry
July 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
My Ruger 77V 2-tone in .223. Bought it from Bud's in about 1990 (when he was on Industry Road in Lexington). Timney trigger and a Nikon Monarch 5.5X16.5X44 AO BDC scope. It's the least picky rifle I've ever owned. On a good day with my pet load, I can shoot literally one hole groups at 150 yrds. Many have tried to buy it but it's not going anywhere.:D

Maverick223
July 13, 2009, 07:58 PM
Without question my grandparent's old Stevens Model 87D .22lr. :)

Smith357
July 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have bonded with my Kimber Hunter, I can't imagine not having it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
No, not really unreasonably, but yes I have a few favorites. Sentimental favorites are CZ 453 Varmint and CZ 550 FS. Also have a strong affinity for the T/C Icon already.

Also, honorable mentions to the Rem Seven, Rem 700 Mountain rifle DM, Swiss K31, 452 Luxe, and DMPS LR-260L.

ccsniper
sks, 8mm turkish mauser

chrissmallwood
July 13, 2009, 08:03 PM
I would have to say my Springfield 87A. I picked it up at the local gunshop for 75$ thinking it would just be a fun 22 to plink with but after putting close to 1000 rnds through it with the only malf's being user induced and being very accurate ive gron to love it. Its one of the few guns that always goes to the range with me and when I try to take something else I end up regretting it.

Keb
July 13, 2009, 08:03 PM
Currently it is a SS Marlin 60. This is because the price of P-Dog shooting is too high with 223 and my stash of 243.

A few years back it was a pair of Swiss K-31s, then a 98 Mauser custom HB 30-06. Then a Savage Mod 11 223, and later a Savage 93 17HMR.

OurSafeHome.net
July 13, 2009, 08:13 PM
My FR-8. (Spanish Mauser in 7.62 NATO)

Cut the rear sight off and attached a Lyman adjustable rear sight.

Love that thing.

possum
July 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
my ar, why? it is the rifle that i am the most confident with, and feel the most natural with, and the rifle that i have the most training on/ with.

clone
July 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
Marlin 60 with TechSights... and my Yugo SKS with TechSights. Both are great shooters and cheap to boot.

jeremy1391
July 13, 2009, 08:27 PM
my dads beat to crap Ithaca '37, first gun I ever hunted with.

flyboy1788
July 13, 2009, 08:30 PM
Probobly my '43 byf mauser 98k(russian capture) followed by my smith M&P15A. They are both dead nuts reliable(and quite accurate) and they are both simple to field strip. Also, they both make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I hold them. For some reason I dont feel that same feeling with any of my other rifles, and I have maybe 6 other rifles of various flavors.

TEC
July 13, 2009, 08:38 PM
CZ-452 Varmint 17HMR. With trigger job, and ballistic tip 17gr factory ammo, I can now pretty consistently shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards, if it's not windy. Hard not to fall in love with that. But I have a CZ-527 Varmint .223 Rem that I managed a ragged 1-hole, 5-shot group of a little over .5 in at 100 yards with Black Hills 52 gr BTHP this weekend. It is also competing for my affections.

tactikel
July 13, 2009, 08:39 PM
Rem. Mod. 121 "Fieldmaster" .22. Points and balances like a dream, has a great trigger, rich deep blueing, and will shoot one ragged hole groups at 50 ft., after at least 15k rounds. :D

Cosmoline
July 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
Most of them are just fodder to me. I buy them, shoot them, get bored and sell them. They are just stuff and I don't get attached to stuff on an emotional level. But there are a few exceptions. My CZ 452 ZKM trainer, bought back when CZ's were still kind of exotic, is an absolute keeper. It's taken a huge variety of small game and remains extremely accurate--though it needs a good de-leading at this point. I love everything about it. It is in my opinion the PERFECT bolt action rifle. The only ones I've handled that compare to the balance and ease of function were Mannlicher-Schoenauers running upwards of two grand.

If the North Koreans really do invade Anchorage that will be the rifle I take out of the box, leaving all the more powerful arsenal. I *know* where the bullets will go and the thing is so extremely quiet with long barrel. It "paffs" more than bangs. I could cause a lot of trouble with that thing.

Dr_2_B
July 13, 2009, 10:49 PM
I get the warm fuzzies with my m1 carbine. And it's not as if I don't have others that outperform it in several ways.

My AR15 is arguably better for home defense and could reach out a little farther if needed.
My AK47 probably edges it out in the face of some sort of civil unrest.
My M1 Garand certainly has longer range and is a better main battle rifle.
The SKS is arguably more rugged and reliable and might be better at 100 yds.

But that carbine just feels really good in my hands. And I sleep very well at night while it leans against my nightstand

CZ223
July 13, 2009, 10:56 PM
that I reach for the most is my Savage model12BVSS in 223.:D

kmullins
July 13, 2009, 11:03 PM
Like others in this thread, my CZ 452 Varmint in .22 has won my heart. With a 4X scope, I managed 2 groups of .5" the other day at 50 yards. More than pleased, only the third time I've taken it out. Won my heart over so much that CZ is just about my favorite rifle maker right now. Looking at a 452 Fullstock in .17HMR.

trigga
July 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
mr kalashnikov tends to sing everytime so i would say the ak for me.

hawmanai
July 13, 2009, 11:15 PM
M1 Garand, Just something about it, have not had anything get away once I opened up on it.

jerkface11
July 13, 2009, 11:18 PM
I love them all equally. Though I do seem to spend more time with the 9mm AR.

Ignition Override
July 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
Very difficult to rank the SKS, Mini 30, two MN 44s and LE, but probably the LE #5 "Jungle Carbine" due to its lightweight, handiness, smooth action with rounds built for combat.

Have never used scopes etc.

BornAgainBullseye
July 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
Its usually my new or new to me one. which has been about 1.5 per year on average since 2001. I do have a bond with my primary carry. It is a PT1911 Taurus ususally loaded with Winchester 230 grain hollowpoints. And a extra 10 round mag in my back pocket.

sarduy
July 14, 2009, 12:12 AM
man... this is a hard one for me... because i love all my guns one way or another.

rondog
July 14, 2009, 12:15 AM
I dearly love my 1943 Springfield M1, great fun to shoot, but my Remington 514 single-shot .22 was my first gun. My brother handed it down to me for Xmas in '66 or so, it was his for years before that. It's still deadly accurate, although pretty homely, but she brings the most smiles! My bottle-cap buster. Gotta call her my fave.

riflenut
July 14, 2009, 12:27 AM
out of all my rifles iam 51 years of age and i still own my first semi auto rifle .its a winchester model 190 22cal i got when i was 14, and even though ive got bigger cal. and newer rifles it will never be given away or sold! :neener:plus its still fun to shoot.

black_powder_Rob
July 14, 2009, 12:35 AM
I love my Marlin 336 with all of my heart...

NotSoFast
July 14, 2009, 01:09 AM
I am not unreasonably attached to my guns. But of my rifles, my M1 Garand is my favorite by far. The Savage, Mk II is too boringly accurate for me, and others all have their flaws too that I find less than endearing.

And although the Garand has some flaws, I enjoy shooting it. I've put a scout scope mount on it and a Burris 4X pistol scope. I'm planning to take it out this weekend to zero the scope and put it through it's paces.

I had a semi-auto .223 that I shot a lot. After my first day's shooting the Garand, I remember thinking on the way home, "Finally a rifle I can remember the kick from." That .223 semi-auto now collects dust. lol

starkadder
July 14, 2009, 01:14 AM
In a earlier post someone mentioned thier Colt Target Match HBAR, I have one that has been my "go to" rifle for close to twenty years. It has always functioned perfectly and I would trust my life to it anytime, but if I had to pick my favorite rifle it would have to be my 1971 production Winchester Model 70 in .264 Mag. It is really nothing special as far a collectible Winchester and it is pretty beat up, with almost none of the finish on the wood or the metal. I bought it from a friend that has a Pawn Shop in 1986 and it's been my primary deer rifle ever since. It is one of the most accrurate rifles that I have ever shot and I have not had a deer get out of sight after being hit with a 140gr BTSP and the 125gr SP will ruin your dream of a coyote jacket.:)

This is this! It's not something else, it's this

ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR MEN AND WOMEN OVER THERE

velojym
July 14, 2009, 01:40 AM
My old Marlin 336CS in .30-30 would fit the thread topic nicely. It accompanied me on many walks in the desert, and up in the canyons. Comfortable and ever reliable, I'm very sorry I ever sold her.
I do have a replacement now, but there are a couple minor tweaks I still need to make,
which never needed doing with the original. Ah, well. Such is life.
I'm hoping I get the new one dialed in as well as the old one, but fond memories are pretty hard to beat.

rfurtkamp
July 14, 2009, 06:59 AM
For me in rifles it's a tossup, depending on my mood that day. Either a scoped STG-58 FAL that I use for long-range bottle-destruction, or my Vector V51s (HK-51 factory builds) or the MP5K-PDW.

The STG is that one 'I can hit things with it I shouldn't' out to 600m in an almost boringly reliable way rifle, but it's worthless close-in.

51s are amazing for 'bet you can't hit a damn thing with that' cash on the table out to 300m and general fun.

But the one I take out the most to this day to fondle on and off the range is my MP5k.

There's something perfect about the little, mean, fun package. No pop can to 150m is safe. I will not be overrun by Canadian beverages ever again.

jd46561
July 14, 2009, 07:47 AM
This is a tough call, because I have alot I love to shoot.I guess here are 2 of my fav's.
STG - 58 for my fav. semi-auto... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/jd46561/th_MyFal004.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/jd46561/?action=view&current=MyFal004.jpg) Swiss k11 for bolt action... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/jd46561/th_Swissrifles004.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/jd46561/?action=view&current=Swissrifles004.jpg) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/jd46561/th_TigerK11006.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/jd46561/?action=view&current=TigerK11006.jpg)

doc2rn
July 14, 2009, 08:07 AM
Only one comes to my mind Ruger 77 MK II in .22 WMR

CajunBass
July 14, 2009, 09:07 AM
Not really. They're just guns. I can sell them tomorrow, and buy others just like them the day after.

CZguy
July 14, 2009, 09:34 AM
This ones easy, my 452 Lux in .22 LR. That because it just fits me perfectly. I don't have to think about it, I just shoot and hit.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/DSC00753.jpg

a-sheepdog
July 14, 2009, 09:39 AM
My Ruger 77/22 Magnum and my Tikka T3 Hunter in 7mag. They are both my favorites.

H2O MAN
July 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
MacTech ... what is your true, absolute favorite rifle?

Easy choice for me... my true, absolute favorite rifle is a MK14 SEI built on a forged Norinco receiver
with a rare standard profile, 18.0 inch 4 groove, 1:10 ROT, chrome lined barrel chambered for M118LR.

This is my lightest M14. She is built with a TRW USGI bolt, trigger group and op rod... the balance of
the parts are USGI and SEI. I have run about 1700 rounds of all sorts of 7.62x51 NATO and .308 ammo
through her and she has never exhibited a single problem. However, I have discovered that she prefers
hotter than 7.62x51 NATO surplus loads when the SEI/FISHER sound suppressor is attached.

The action has been in USGI Birch, a prototype TROY M14 MCS and it's currently bolted into a M14ALCS/CV
SAGE EBR, but it may sit in a light weight carbon fiber LAW483 E2 stock if, and when Tony makes them.

AirForceShooter
July 14, 2009, 09:43 AM
Remington 511X I bought in 1968. It's a .22.

AFS

dagger dog
July 14, 2009, 10:25 AM
It's not a classic by any means, other than the round it is chambered in(22 Hornet), and being a fairly new design, plus some trick trigger marketing by the company that produces it, my Savage Mdl 40 Varmint Hunter, is one rifle I would not be without.

Yes it is a bit finicky on brass, some times it fails to extract if my brass is not cleaned to a squeaky shine, and yes it's only a single shot. But very seldom do you need that second shot! If I do my part and hold the cross hairs steady it will shoot bug hole groups with its' favorite load of Lil'Gun powder and Vmax bullets.

I wish I lived in a state that allowed any caliber centerfire rifle to be used on whitetail deer, this gun is the one I would use to deer hunt given the proper bullet was used.

PO2Hammer
July 14, 2009, 10:28 AM
CZ 452 Lux in .22 WMR.

The walnut hogback stock, the long, skinny barrel that hangs just right, and those sights, those wonderful CZ tangent sights.

SharpsDressedMan
July 14, 2009, 05:58 PM
My brother "bonded" with a rifle in a different way than most. He was pushing a cleaning kit, or checking to see if one was in the butt of an AK47, and got his finger caught by the sharp edge of the trap door in the cleaning kit recess. He could NOT move it forward or rearward, and panicked when he thought he might have to call the authorities, as he had AK kits and receivers all over the living room (he's a bachelor) that he was working on. As he collected his wits, he realized that he could get a screwdriver and remove the buttplate and deal with the trap door from the other side after removal. But, for a few minutes, he bonded more thoroughly than most of us ever will with a rifle......................

Dr.Rob
July 14, 2009, 07:08 PM
Savage 116, the rifle I've hunted with the most. My Brno Kar98k has surpassed my Remington made 1903a3 as my fave surplus rifle. And slowly but surely my Colt 6920 is working its way into my comfort zone.

As for .22's Marlin 39 or 995 or Browning auto... don't have to 'think' about how to use them at all. Been shooting those since I was a little kid.

CWL
July 14, 2009, 07:57 PM
My Daewoo DR200.

Owned it for 13-14 years and put many K's of ammo thru it. Uses AR magazines and eats cheap reloads that has jammed-up my other black rifles. It combines the "best" of the AR and AK platforms and is a simple, accurate and reliable rifle that also happens to be fun to shoot.

I've got other rifles, but something about the Daewoo that makes it my "go to" rifle for plinking or SHTF (admittedly, after my 12ga.).

RP88
July 14, 2009, 08:21 PM
my CMMG middie AR-15

haven't put too many rounds through it, but I 'built'/assembled it myself, the way I wanted it. It does whatever I want and need it to do, and is pretty much milspec as far as the chart goes.

Right behind that would be my .22 Savage MKII

76shuvlinoff
July 14, 2009, 08:46 PM
My 79 Marlin 39A is my rimfire soulmate (but I have wandering eyes for dad's 52) running right behind the 39As is a 77 Marlin 1894c in .357. Those guns make me think. ...and the Marlin 60 right next to them is a complete hoot.

epmn
July 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
A Tikka M595 Master Sporter with 1/9 twist, 20" non-tapered Krieger barrel chambered in 22BR. It is topped with a 6.5-20x44 Nikon Monarch. I picked it up as an estate consignment at a gunshop for $849. The previous owner must have been a heck of a varmint shooter because this gun is tricked out for knocking them down as far as the shooter wants to go. The stock is the most comfortable to shoot of any that I have. On Thursday I will be heading out to South Dakota and I will put a couple of hundred rounds through the rifle. It will get the most shooting time of the rifles that go with me.

epmn

GRAYRID3R
July 14, 2009, 09:41 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/grayrider1863/DSC01421-1.jpg

High Planes Drifter
July 14, 2009, 10:02 PM
MY AR15 20" A2. I have well over 10K rounds thru it. I keep it on the side of my bed every night. The rifle just fits me ; the length of pull, the trigger pull, the sights, the rifle as a whole. My 20" A2 fits me like a comfortable pair of jeans.

AKMS
July 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
My US property marked Mossberg model 44 sees more use than any other firearm I own. It goes with me to the range everytime I go.

Bush Pilot
July 14, 2009, 10:21 PM
I've got an old Remington 700 ADL in .25/06 with a 3x9 Leupold scope. This rifle has ridden next to me for thousands of miles in a Cub. It's taken sheep, Mt. goat, caribou, black bear, moose, wolves, deer (mule & whitetail), antelope, elk and prairie dogs. I've got ARs with all the bells and whistles and I'll still take the .25/06 every time.

Eightball
July 14, 2009, 10:57 PM
For me, it's a toss up between my Garand, my M1 Carbine, and my AR. My AR is what I have the most time/money invested in, the Garand is just......holding it is like going back in time, and my M1 Carbine is the midpoint between the two, but amazing in its own right.

BobOfTheFuture
July 15, 2009, 08:38 AM
My Mosin Nagant.

And it returns the love, too!
It trys to bond with my sholder with every shot...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 15, 2009, 08:52 AM
My brother "bonded" with a rifle in a different way than most. He was pushing a cleaning kit, or checking to see if one was in the butt of an AK47, and got his finger caught by the sharp edge of the trap door in the cleaning kit recess. He could NOT move it forward or rearward, and panicked when he thought he might have to call the authorities, as he had AK kits and receivers all over the living room (he's a bachelor) that he was working on. As he collected his wits, he realized that he could get a screwdriver and remove the buttplate and deal with the trap door from the other side after removal. But, for a few minutes, he bonded more thoroughly than most of us ever will with a rifle

That's pretty funny right there. :)

H2O MAN
July 15, 2009, 08:55 AM
GRAYRID3R has what I would like to bond with :cool:

Tim the student
July 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
W011821 is a favorite of mine.

offthepaper
July 15, 2009, 12:48 PM
Call me crazy

I have about 30 rifles.
A couple of AR's
A couple Garands
A couple K31's, and a good assortment of others.
I also have 3 Finn M39's. But One of them ( '41 Sako with worn metal ) that is just somehow a bit different somehow in the feel. The trigger is silky smooth. The post war stock is immaculate. The action is somehow smoother than anything I own. I'm not even sure how to define why it is my favorite, but it just suits me to a tee. Even though the other 2 M39's are in better shape, they just don't have the same "feel". It is at very least, every bit as accurate as my K31's.
It's kind of like having a bada$$ girlfriend. The others are more practical, better looking, draw more attention. But somehow we ARE bonded. If it came to mid to longer range SHTF, we would be a team.

Go ahead.
Call me crazy.

aka108
July 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
Remington 512 that has been with me since 1948. Still has the Weaver G6 scope that was mounted on it in 1950. Rifle has had TLC for all those years and could almost pass as near new in condition after 10's of thousands of rounds have run down the bore.

Dallas Jack
July 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
My step dad's 48 model Remington 721 for sentimental reasons. And it shoots great.

My AR-15 for practical reasons.
Dallas Jack

krs
July 15, 2009, 03:05 PM
My 1952 Marlin 39 is the first rifle I bought, but I really get a kick out of making offhand open sight one hole groups with my Remington Nylon 66.

Something about it's feather weight and plastic character that speaks "this is a piece of s***", and yet it shoots like the dickens every time no matter what ammo. Amazes me every time I pick it up and it's been doing that for forty years or more.

jhco
July 15, 2009, 03:12 PM
Love my Winchester 72 with peep sights for plinking.
Love my Marlin 917 for long range plinking.

DC300a
July 15, 2009, 04:21 PM
It was my dads and I grew up hunting with that rifle. In fact it was my first hunting rifle. But it is more than just the rifle that I am attached to; it is the many memories that are attached to it.

It is still reliable, light, and fun to shoot. It still rides "shotgun" in my truck wherever I go.

hacksaw
July 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
My 1950's vintage Winchester Model 94. It was dad's before I 'adopted" it. I haven't hunted on over 10 years, but I still take it out a few times a year and send a few downrange. Slick little carbine...:cool:

CoRoMo
July 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
Nice topic!!

I'll probably always answer with my M77 .270/Leupold hunting rifle. She has taken deer and elk, and has never failed me or otherwise let me down. I only wish I had been a little nicer to her walnut.

waffentomas
July 15, 2009, 06:54 PM
My Weatherby Vanguard.

My M1A set-up wasn't really the best for elk, so when it came time to buy a bolt action, my only stipulation was that it be a .308 so I didn't have to buy new dies, bullets and brass.

Strange, but at the time, around here, there was no .308 bolts to be found. I literally visited a dozen or more gun stores and couldn't find one. When I finally did, it was a pre-64 Winchester with a 3200 on it - I passed - I need a rifle I can break, not one that is so valuable I'm afraid to take it into the field.

Finally, a GI Joes had one in the back that an employee found under a bunch of boxes, and it was rusting a bit. They sold it to me for a song, under $300. It's just a regular one, not a sub-moa or anything. I bought a refurbished Nikon 2.5-10x50mm (30mm tube) Monarch Gold scope for under $500, and felt pretty good about the set-up. Trigger was gritty, bolt action wasn't very smooth, and it wasn't super accurate until I had put some rounds through the barrel, and found the loads it likes. It took some time, but it can shoot under 1" groups at 300 yards (3 shots). I'm good enough to do that, not because I'm a talent, but solely because I was a trained as an 8541 - scout sniper - in the Marines. To be honest, it's still really hard for me to get groups that tight - regularly - but it's always fun when I pull it off.

This rifle has been trampled on by a horse, dropped in the mud, and been on every hunt I've done since I bought it. I love it - it's a great rifle. Now, the action is smooth, the trigger is perfect (never even had it worked on) and it's taken some nice, tasty game.

I've toyed over the years with getting a 325 WSM, 300 Weatherby, 338 Federal, and 280 AI, but just can't. No rifle is better than this one, so why spend the money?

flyboy1788
July 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
Grayrid3r, I just want you to know that I HATE you. for owning something that I would give both of my legs....and my arms for:neener: Beautiful gun.

paintballdude902
July 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
the rifle that i have truely bonded with is.... probably my ishapore 2a enfield in 7.62

it was my first centerfire rifle, when i got it it was dirty nasty and just plain ugly

i cleaned it up refinished the stock, made it look pretty, then learned to shoot it

i love that rifle

MTMilitiaman
July 15, 2009, 08:08 PM
M1A:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/Guns/M1AandMilSpec.jpg

Heck
July 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
my old .22, i honestly dont even know what kind it is. it was my great grandfathers and it is OLD. My grandfather, my dad, and i all learned how to shoot with it. Damn i love that gun

OrangePwrx9
July 15, 2009, 11:13 PM
Handgun: Ruger stainless Security Six .357 with 4" barrel. Won me the only two trophys I've ever won at anything. I can shoot it double action better than I can any other handgun single action. It shoots powderpuff target loads to the same POI as full throttle .357 mag loads....never have to touch the sights. Paid $239 for it new back in the '70s.

Rifle: Remington 788 in .22-250 topped with old steel V3-9 Weaver. First new gun I bought for myself as a fresh 2nd Lieutenant. Think I paid something like $89 for the rifle and around $38 for the scope new back in the late '60s. I've yet to find the rifle that shoots tighter groups. When I'm on my game and feeding it good reloads, it'll group under 0.4" at 100 yards reliably and sometimes print a quarter-inch group. Spent many pleasant afternoons and evenings patrolling hayfields with the 788....it ruined the day for many a woodchuck. I've got other 788s and other Remington varmit rifles, but none have equaled the accuracy of that old .22-250.

Guns don't have to be expensive or fancy to be special.
Bob

Wyld_Cat
July 16, 2009, 05:12 AM
Well, at the moment i only have the 1 rifle. My 1954 polish M44.

I thought i loved it before today but after the smile it put on my face chewing through nearly 60 rounds today i actually kissed the timber.

Can't accessorise it, can barely get ammo easily but i love my Mozzie.

coop4u2c
July 16, 2009, 11:03 AM
This is my baby...
There is just something about this 336SS to me.

skipbo32
March 2, 2010, 02:36 AM
i call her Charlene.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/skipbo32/DSC03590.jpg

Moose458
March 2, 2010, 10:25 AM
To pick just one would be real hard, however, if there was a fire and I could only save one rifle, it would have to be my Sako .300 Winnie. Its taken elk, moose, and bison, andnever let me down.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/Moose458/267591-R1-16-17.jpg

mgh
March 2, 2010, 06:38 PM
Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 38/357. I've had many hours of good shooting from it.

scchokedaddy
March 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
sporting clays.skeet,trap A5 browning 20 gauge, dog hunting deer A5 light 12 rifle for deer Browning A Bolt 7mm rem mag, snakes the Judge

bobelk99
March 2, 2010, 08:41 PM
Sako long action 338 WM. 210 Nosler for most anything. Rough on p dogs.

gdcpony
March 2, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have had some I liked better than others. As far as "bonding" with them, I would say all of them. A weapon is part of the shooter at the time of the shot. At least I think so.
My favorites? My Howa 1500, AR-15, Kimber TLE RL II, any of my old Mausers, Browning Buckmark (rifle and pistol) and my old Marlin 880SQ.
My least favorites? 10/22, Savage MKII, and any double action piston especially the M-9.

Heavenlyfire
March 2, 2010, 09:52 PM
Very easy, My grandpa gave me his Win. model 670 7mm mag. Kicks like a mule in heat. I have had this one for about 12 years now and only had to shoot more than once at an animal the first time. Deadly accurate (if I can hold it steady) at a little over 3/4 mile. That was what we paced off for my last cow. Not to mention between me and him it has been taken very good care of and is very pretty.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/SassyDlights/3-2-2010_019.jpg

DNS
March 3, 2010, 12:15 AM
My Savage 24 is my most treasured since it was handed down through the family, but the best and most accurate shooter I own is my Marlin 60. Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face at the end of a range session than that little 60 ;)

Mike

paducahrider
March 3, 2010, 11:28 AM
Howdy!
I hate to single out just one gun, for fear of upsetting others within the "family".
I sure like my beautiful M96 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser rifle.
But wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of my cherry Model 42 Winchester .410 pump, which I've owned since being a teenager.
And I can't ignore, without feelings of remorse, the gun I've personally owned longer than any other; my Model 31 J.C.Higgins .22 semi-auto rifle.
And then there's my first centerfire rifle, a discount store surplus Model 93 Spanish Mauser carbine, in 7mm Mauser.
Of course I can't overlook,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well, you've got to draw the line somewhere.
OOOH!! OOOH"",,,, I forgot about my Marlin Model 1894 44/40 carbine, built in 1897 and handed down through three generations, with flame grained stump cut black walnut stocks, felled by my great grandfather, over a hundred years ago and carried, as blanks, clear across the state, in the early twentieth century, by my grandfather, as he migrated west.
The list goes on,,,,
Thanks for your time.

WaywardAce
March 4, 2010, 12:17 AM
My Marlin 1894CS in .357/.38

Nick5182
March 4, 2010, 12:24 AM
I'd have to say my Winchester 94 .30-30. When I was 16 I wanted a centerfire rifle, and the 94 was the only one in my christmas budget at the local gun store. My dad got it for me for Christmas that year, and I love it. It's nothing special, but it's a great gun and has a lot of sentimental value for me.

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 4, 2010, 12:48 AM
Oooh. I love all my guns, BUT I'm most smitten with my Remington 721 in .300 Holland and Holland. It's insanely accurate at hyper-ranges.

I splurged for a High-end Leupold, and I only feed it individually-weighed handloads.

When I haven't been out shooting it in a while, I just take it out of the safe and handle it for a while. It soothes me.

For me, it's like Linus' blue blanket.

KR

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 4, 2010, 12:52 AM
Mike

This is the best tag I've seen so far.

If I couldn't be here in my native Kentucky, Texas would be a close second choice.

KR

Calibre44
March 4, 2010, 03:19 AM
My Winchester 1894 Trails End without a doubt. It must be something deep in my psyche from watching too many Westerns in the 60s. It just ‘ticks all my boxes’ for looks, handling and shootability. .44 ammo is really easy to reload so I’ve always got some to hand. Just love it!
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/misc4202-1.jpg

JDGray
March 4, 2010, 05:10 AM
My favorite would have to be my Savage 10FP. Great shooter for anyone who shoots it, makes people look good. Its the one thats leaft the most impression on me, usually a black and blue mark on my shoulder:D
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/001.jpg

Va Shooter
March 4, 2010, 07:21 AM
Chinese SKS :what:1st centerfire I ever bought, it's never failed me. AR-15 bought before "O" was elected is bonding very nicely.

ole farmerbuck
March 4, 2010, 07:46 AM
I'll have to go with my Savage .223 combo. I replaced the 'combo' with a Nikon 5x20x44 though. Excellent p-dog gun. Then my......:p

XxWINxX94
March 4, 2010, 11:55 AM
Probably my Inland Division M1 Carbine. Easy and fun to shoot, accurate, and somewhat affordable.

ArmedBear
March 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
My Mini-14 is the only rifle I have actually bonded with.

The barrel got so hot one day that it spot-welded itself to my finger when I touched it.:D

Ouch.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 4, 2010, 12:12 PM
Changes from week to week, month to month - I'm basically a gun man-slut. Sometimes it's the CZ 453 Varmint in .17 Hummer with Sightron S2 4.5-14x42mm; sometimes it's the DPMS LR 260 L in .260 Rem with Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm. Sometimes it's the T/C Icon with Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm. The optics are a big component of the whole thing, too.

Latelly I've been fondling my new T/C Prohunters a lot, but haven't even shot them yet! So I may hate them when it warms up and I go to the range. Then I can come on here and tell krochus "you told me so". Or hopefully not! :) If the Prohunter 28" .280 Rem shoots well, then I can see it becoming my favorite, or at least in the top 3.... it's wearing a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm. The Prohunters are very satisfying to dry fire, as is the CZ 550, as is the DPMS LR 260 L.

RSVP2RIP
March 4, 2010, 06:05 PM
My father's Marlin Mod. 38 pump .22 rimfire, a pure classic. I told him several times I want it and he still won't let it go. He must have bonded with it also.

hoodfu
March 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
The AR15 was my first, and I've done the most futzing with it, but the M1A satisfies that carnal firepower lust that a 5.56 just can't make up for. Having great accuracy with such a big bang is what it's all about. I suspect it's what M82A1 owners feel.

husker
March 4, 2010, 06:29 PM
rem mohawk 600 /5.56

rmemmott
March 4, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hey all,

I'm new here, but just couldn't resist posting here first!!!

A Sako Finnwolf VL63 in .243 win. found it's way into my hands about 37 years ago. It will be handed down to one of my grandsons Upon my departure.http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af167/phatdaddy52/SakoFinnwolf020.jpg

tubeshooter
March 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
I have to give my 39A the spot, wanted one for a real long time. Plus I have discovered I love .22 shooting, so that makes it a little easier.

I can see my relatively new 1894C giving it a real run though, over time. I think it will become a close second. Again, as above it was a long time coming and it's not the easiest thing in the world to just waltz out and buy either gun like you would another Remington 870 or Marlin 336, so those two things make a big difference for me.

I feel good about most all of my stuff, for one reason or another. I guess that's why it's still around. Have sold or traded a couple with no regrets... but for the question asked, those two above are what I have to go with.

Mr. T
March 4, 2010, 08:31 PM
My Remington 7400 in 30.06 and my M4 Carbine. I always seem to hit what I'm aiming at with both of those guns.

DavidABQ
March 4, 2010, 11:26 PM
My favorite rifle? It would have to be my Ruger 10/22-T or possibly my M-1 Garand.

sarduy
March 4, 2010, 11:36 PM
What rifle have you truly "bonded" with?

http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/44554/2811616730095461090S500x500Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2811616730095461090mCMJew)

If you enjoyed reading about "What rifle have you truly "bonded" with?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!