Pocket Carry -- maximum weight?

PDA

ArmedBear
July 13, 2009, 07:14 PM
I was pocket carrying a 642.

Then my wife got her CWL in the mail, and I saw a used 60 in great shape at the store for a decent price, so I bought it.

It's a tad heavier, but I have started pocket carrying it with no trouble. I might not choose to hike 5 miles with it banging against my leg in loose pants, but otherwise it's no problem.

I've read people say that the SP101 is too heavy for a pocket gun, but it's not too much heavier than a 60 (mine is a .357).

What do you think is the weight threshold?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket Carry -- maximum weight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fumbler
July 13, 2009, 07:17 PM
My threshold for a pocket gun is 10 oz. I have a Kel-Tec P3AT for that.

I have a S&W 637 and I can pocket carry it, but I hate the weight swinging around, so I carry that IWB.

Also, I have too much junk in my pockets that I can't put anywhere else.

ArmedBear
July 13, 2009, 07:27 PM
Do you use a pocket holster? That makes a big difference. Keeps it from banging around so much.

Oh, and I just get pants with more pockets.:D

I've thought about a 3AT also, but haven't seen ammo for one lately. Inexpensive as the gun is, I won't get one without ammo.:) And I don't plan to start reloading .380 any time soon.

Glockman17366
July 13, 2009, 07:32 PM
I pocket carry frequently...my gun is a 14 oz Taurus 851. When it's loaded, it probably goes 16-17 oz.
That's about right for me...

ceadermtnboy
July 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
My threshold is about 16 oz empty, which is also my limit for ankle carry. I cant seem to find a reason to pay double for a 12 oz 340PD which is very nice, but not sure 3.5 oz less is worth the money.

MCgunner
July 13, 2009, 07:58 PM
Lighter is better, but I've found it not difficult to pocket up to a 20 ounce gun unloaded. 20 ounces loaded is better. A steel M60 is a bit much. I had an SP101, was way much. I carry either my 17 ounce Taurus 85SSUL or my 14 ounce Kel Tec P11 (unloaded wieghts) very easily all day long, and yes, they also pack well in an ankle holster if I need that option.

Weight is very subjective. Some guys don't have a problem with the 27 ounce unloaded SP101, but to me, it's like carrying around a lead window weight. I prefer the alloy revolvers and light pocket pistols. I prefer service caliber guns, though. I know a P3AT/LCP would be sweet to carry, but I don't really think I wanna rely on .380 as a primary unless I absolutely had no other choice. .38 and 9x19 ain't that tough to pocket. I dedicate my strong side pocket to the gun and pocket holster, keys and change in the week side pocket along with a NAA mini revolver for backup in a folding holster grip. :D

earlthegoat2
July 13, 2009, 08:38 PM
I recently started carrying the Model 60-7 38 Special of the early to mid nineties. It is a smidge lighter than your 357 model 60 and I pocket carry it more than on my hip. You have to train yourself to cover the hammer spur with your thumb while drawing so as not to snag. I dont think it is too heavy and it is a small price to pay for having an all steel gun. My pants dont tend to have so loose of pockets so it is more bearable but if I was going on a 5 mile hike I suppose it would be outside the waistband.

We (you and I that is) seem to have been covering these steel snubbies a lot lately huh Armed Bear.

ArmedBear
July 13, 2009, 08:45 PM
The Nemesis covers the hammer spur and, so far, has prevented it from snagging as I draw the gun from my pocket. I've tried it a good number of times, with different pants. Definitely a "thumbs up" for that pocket holster.

snooperman
July 13, 2009, 09:04 PM
I tried pocket once and I realized that about 50% of my day I am seated,car house etc. and I just could not get to the revolver easily at all. Hence, I carry my 6 shot Colt detective IWB with Don Hume or Mika holster and have easy access all the time. Each person is different with dress attire etc, so you have to try what works for you.

ArmedBear
July 13, 2009, 09:57 PM
I was wondering about that, so I tested it.

In some of my clothes, I can draw the gun more easily from a pocket than any other form of concealment short of a vest or something, even when sitting in a car.

Depends on the cut of the pants, I think.

John Wayne
July 13, 2009, 10:06 PM
It depends on clothing. I find one pound (like my S&W 442, loaded) in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster is about the most I'm comfortable with in normal attire, meaning an average jacket pocket or khaki pants. In jeans or a heavy Carhartt jacket, 22 ounces is about as heavy as I like.

Lighter clothing that's not belt-supported, like athletic shorts, 10 oz. or less is about the most that works for me.

kentucky_smith
July 13, 2009, 10:14 PM
Regular Docker khaki's or blue jeans (size 36) I can carry a Sig P238 all day long in right front pocket in a nylon pocket holster comfortably.

JohnBT
July 13, 2009, 10:35 PM
442 at 15-16 oz is much better for me than my 649 at 23-24 oz.

I carry a Rohrbaugh, which is about the weight of the 442, but not as bulky and holds an extra round.

I used to carry a P-32 and I would forget it was there. I mean forgetforget, as in take my shorts off and drop them in the clothes hamper with the gun in the pocket. That's light.

John

Fumbler
July 13, 2009, 10:48 PM
Do you use a pocket holster? That makes a big difference. Keeps it from banging around so much.
I use a holster, but I still hate having guns in my pocket. A P3AT is tolerable, but not my J frame (it's really mostly due to bulk).

I know a P3AT/LCP would be sweet to carry, but I don't really think I wanna rely on .380 as a primary unless I absolutely had no other choice.
My main carry gun is my S&W 637, but when I have to pocket carry due to wearing pants that or too tight and/or a shirt that prints bad, then I carry the 380.

I tried pocket once and I realized that about 50% of my day I am seated,car house etc. and I just could not get to the revolver easily at all.
That's why I don't pocket carry often.
The only solution is to take your gun out when you get in your car, then put it back in when you get out. That's too much messing around for me when I can simply carry IWB.

MCgunner
July 13, 2009, 11:43 PM
I believe Armedbear has it right, the cut of the pants. I don't have a problem seated getting at the gun. I ride a motorcycle a lot, anyway. I have a problem with IWB. I work out in the shop, often under small tractors and such, rolling around on the ground. A IWB is not easy to roll around on and if there's a customer there, well, the gun is often exposed when the T shirt rides up over it. I don't do IWB too often. Besides, the hotter it is out, the more uncomfortable IWB seems to me. It's crackin' 100 every day lately.

Landric
July 13, 2009, 11:59 PM
I pocket carry a SP101 pretty regularly in jeans. More often its my 37-2 Airweight. I use a DeSantis Nemesis for the SP and a Kramer pocket holster for the Airweight. I carry in my pocket as a backup the huge majority of the time (sometimes I carry pocket and ankle, but that is unusual). So I pocket carry on my off (left) side. I've tried right hand pocket carry, but I didn't find it nearly as comfortable. So, even when my only weapon is pocket carried (generally that is the SP and only when I am working in the yard), I still carry in my left front pocket.

Of course though I shoot right handed, I write left handed. That makes shooting left handed not that much of a challenge, and I do practice that way from time to time.

John Wayne
July 14, 2009, 12:30 AM
I use a holster, but I still hate having guns in my pocket. A P3AT is tolerable, but not my J frame (it's really mostly due to bulk).

I recently traded in my P3AT for my SW 442 (for reliability reasons). I'm finding that it goes most, but not all of the places the P3AT did, but it is not as easy to forget about it, like you mentioned. My P3AT would actually fit in the change pocket of some of my jeans, leaving just the grip exposed, but I was always nervous about carrying this way. Still technically "pocket carry," I guess, but it was much faster to access.

That's why I don't pocket carry often.
The only solution is to take your gun out when you get in your car, then put it back in when you get out. That's too much messing around for me when I can simply carry IWB.

I have found that for short trips, pulling the gun out of your pocket enough so that just the grips are exposed and catch on the edge of your pocket to prevent the gun from falling back into your pocket will allow you a considerably faster draw than trying to dig around in your pocket while seated. Then, when you get out of the car you simply push it back down in your pocket. Just don't forget about it and drop it when you get out of the car!

Or, you could always keep another gun readily accessable in your car.

ArchAngelCD
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM
I wear mostly jeans so my revolver doesn't move around in my pocket. I carry a S&W Airweight most times which is 15oz. I have carried a M36 but I really don't care for a 21oz revolver in my pocket. I guess that's mostly because I'm used to carrying a 15oz revolver all the time. I guess it's all up to the individual as to what they think is too heavy. For me I guess that means 15oz is my limit. (a Kel-Tec P-32 is only 6.6oz, that a deal right there)

farscott
July 14, 2009, 07:51 AM
I can carry and often do a M640, but I cannot -- and I have tried -- carry a two-inch SP-101. The weight difference is not the issue; the issue is pocket size.

earlthegoat2
July 14, 2009, 09:04 AM
The Galco pocket protector covers the hammer too. I can pull it out of the pants trouble free most times but I still like to have my thumb against the hammer as I draw.

On a side note you almost have to have a holster that covers the spur with a exposed hammer otherwise I am sure it would eat up your pockets.

Drail
July 14, 2009, 09:25 AM
The limit is going to be how well built the pants pockets are. I haven't seen too many that I would trust to carry a gun in. And your gun will gather a lot of crap. I have to constantly blow the lint out of my pocketknives from carrying in a pocket. You don't want all that grit and fuzz inside your gun. A holster makes it so much easier to draw. But it's a free country. Sort of.

Fumbler
July 14, 2009, 12:09 PM
Or, you could always keep another gun readily accessable in your car.
When I get in my car I carry a Sig 228 and put it in my door. ;)

I guess when I said "The only solution is to take your gun out when you get in your car, then put it back in when you get out" it was assuming there is only one gun.

The 637 stays on me and is a fine self defense tool that I can get it it fast carrying IWB at my appendix. But, why not have easy access to 13 rounds of 9mm?
The world is full of choices:)

ArmedBear
July 14, 2009, 12:12 PM
why not have easy access to 13 rounds of 9mm?

Because if I don't have to CARRY the thing, I can have 14 rounds of .45 ACP?:D

Fumbler
July 14, 2009, 12:22 PM
Of course...

:p

capttom
July 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
I wear black BDU cargo pants daily for work and usually tote a J-frame in a DeSantis Nemesis. The usual choice is an elderly Model 38 Bodyguard or less often 642 Airweight. I also have a Chiefs Special and I'm surprised how much difference the approximate +5 ounces make.

Big Mike
July 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Many variables, depending on pants, etc. Used to carry a S&W 6946 in one pair, can barely carry an SP101 in another...

jhco
July 14, 2009, 08:20 PM
my 642 loaded is less then 19oz my keltec is less then 12oz IIRC
I try not to get heavier then that

DeepSouth
July 14, 2009, 08:32 PM
KAHR PM45 is 17.3 oz. I think that would be about the max, but for a .45 you can't beat that weight.

On the other end is the NAA mini-revolver weighing in at 5.9 oz.

In todays market there is a pocket pistol for everyone, well, everyone that is reasonable and wants one.

Tequila Mockingbird
July 14, 2009, 10:21 PM
I have no problem pocket carrying a 21 oz. S&W 640...

I have trouble understanding why some folks think it's too heavy for pocket carry...:confused:

ArchAngelCD
July 16, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have no problem pocket carrying a 21 oz. S&W 640...

I have trouble understanding why some folks think it's too heavy for pocket carry...:confused:
Just because you have trouble understanding it doesn't make their opinion wrong. Everyone has their comfort zone. Having a problem with carrying and being willing to carry are two totally different things. If everyone agreed we would have 1 company making only 1 handgun, wouldn't we?

JohnBT
July 16, 2009, 09:50 AM
It's not that it's too heavy, it's just that lighter is better.

Sort of like wearing combat boots, I can do it, but don't unless I need to. Heck, I went to Mexico once with some friends and one huge guy wore work boots and wool socks anytime he wasn't swimming. Strange looking, but he was definitely better prepared for unforseen circumstances than the rest of us. :)

It wasn't even really Mexico, it was Cancun with car trips west to Merida and south almost to Belize - we couldn't find anywhere to buy gas and had to turn back. The boots on the big guy wearing the Brutus tee-shirt came in handy. The car rental guy looked at the mileage on the nearly new car and said "WHERE DID YOU TAKE MY CAR?" and then tried to up the daily rate $10. The guy with the boots loomed over him and said "No, or we'll rent it for another 2 days."

John

Landpimp
July 16, 2009, 08:24 PM
for me its 14-20oz, my pocket gun is a 340PD(or Kahr PM9) but I have packed a HK USPc 45 in a pocket holster..and thats 30+oz.....not pratical but also it was unnoticible and very handy for a stuff and go big BUG

I have found that small BUG;s like a seecamp actaully feel heavier than say a 442

1KPerDay
July 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
The Nemesis covers the hammer spur and, so far, has prevented it from snagging as I draw the gun from my pocket. I've tried it a good number of times, with different pants. Definitely a "thumbs up" for that pocket holster.
My mod 37 in the Nemesis started catching after a few months of daily pocket carry. I use that nemesis holster for my LCP now (slips right out!) :D

I use a Mika for the 37 now, but truthfully the LCP makes the j-frame feel like a M27. :D I usually carry the LCP.

Landpimp
July 16, 2009, 08:47 PM
I do carry a Keltec P38t but only at home laying on the sofa...alway in reach something else....its been a trouble free gun, but its just not what I chose to normal pocket carry

Tequila Mockingbird
July 16, 2009, 09:52 PM
Just because you have trouble understanding it doesn't make their opinion wrong. Everyone has their comfort zone. Having a problem with carrying and being willing to carry are two totally different things. If everyone agreed we would have 1 company making only 1 handgun, wouldn't we?

I completely agree. It's just that I find it amusing when guys who can bench press 300 pounds find a 21 oz. gun too heavy to carry...:D

SwampWolf
July 17, 2009, 11:51 AM
I tried pocket carrying my Smith 640 for a few months before deciding it was on the wrong side of being "just right" for me in terms of weight. I've come to believe that an unloaded revolver weighing no more than sixteen ounces or so is about right for me for regular pocket carrying duties. Even lighter is better. For the last couple of years I've been toting a Colt Cobra in a Mika pocket holster, augmented by a Ruger LCP when the occasion/circumstance dictates the lightest, most compact pistol practicable.

ArmedBear
July 17, 2009, 12:13 PM
I find it amusing when guys who can bench press 300 pounds find a 21 oz. gun too heavy to carry...

It's not the weight. It's the asymmetrical weight in odd places. You can give yourself a nasty muscle spasm with a holstered gun, if it's in the wrong place and you walk far enough. A pocket gun that's too heavy becomes a pocket pendulum, and I'm not used to having two of those...:D

I do pocket carry the .357 Model 60. However, whereas I forget I even have the 642 sometimes, I don't forget the 60.:)

frankt
July 17, 2009, 06:06 PM
I also have a S&W 36 and a 60 and I found them too heavy to pocket carry. My 442 is supposed to be just 5 oz less but in loose pants or cargo pants/shorts, I forget it is in my pocket.

I use the Mika holster for it.

TheProf
July 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
15 oz empty. That's the SW 638 Bodyguard j-frame. The the heaviest weight for me...but in terms of bulkiness... the j-frame is a little bulky (when you factor in the holster).

Marvin KNox
July 18, 2009, 12:52 AM
For me - the 15oz. or so S&W's represent the threshold of being too heavy for consistent pocket carry.

I don't pocket carry a lot. But when I do I usually use my Ruger LCP. If I have coat pocket to put it in or certain syles of pants, I may take my S&W .357 snubbie - which caliber I feel a little more comfortable with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket Carry -- maximum weight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!